PDA

View Full Version : Madden: Arians' firing makes little sense

SteelCrazy
01-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Is Art Rooney II qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright?

That doesn’t matter. The birthright does.

That truth was held to be self-evident this past week as the Steelers president, after doing a round of media self-promotion, decided to use his thunderbolts to smite Bruce Arians, relieving the offensive coordinator of his duties.

The Steelers say Arians retired. That’s a lie. The Steelers decided to not renew his contract.

Head coach Mike Tomlin wanted Arians back, having reportedly told him that since the playoff loss at Denver. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is an Arians supporter and friend, having saved his job two years ago, and is said to be miffed that Arians got dismissed. Can’t wait to hear what Roethlisberger has to say at the Pro Bowl (where Arians and his wife will be Ben’s guest).

So, who’s left? General Manager Kevin Colbert? Colbert wouldn’t overrule Tomlin in this situation.

It looks like Rooney, after saying it was “Mike’s decision,” dropped the guillotine.

Why?

The Steelers’ red-zone efficiency was dismal at Denver, leaving lots of points on the table in the first quarter. But the Steelers’ defense was pathetic all day, adjusting not one bit as Tim Tebow carved them to ribbons. Arians is the scapegoat. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is Teflon.

Looking at the regular season, the Steelers were 12th in the NFL in yards gained, just 21st in points. Not a good contrast. But the Steelers’ offense was doubtless hurt by a defense that collected just 15 takeaways, fewest in the league. The offense didn’t get many short fields, or easy points.

Receivers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown each caught over 1,000 yards worth of passes. Roethlisberger threw for over 4,000. The Steelers sent four offensive players to Pro Bowl. That hadn’t happened since 2004.

You can’t knock the running game, either: It averaged 4.4 yards per carry, the best mark since 2001.

Looking at Arians’ five-year tenure, his offense helped the Steelers get to two Super Bowls, winning one. His successor will not have done that, or do that. Guaranteed.

Arians hasn’t always had the best players to work with, particularly on the line. When it comes to excellence, the Steelers spend on defense first. You can’t cook gourmet meals when half your ingredients are from 7-11. All things considered, Arians did fine. Overachieved, even.

So why was Arians fired? For a few debatable play calls? Why not fire Tomlin for consistently poor clock management? Or LeBeau for the debacle at Denver?

Or why not leave pretty good alone? An early playoff exit aside, 12-4 is an excellent season.

This is bizarre. This seems like a decision made by a talk-show caller. Knee-jerk. Hasty. Against the grain.

In 2010, Rooney said that he wanted the Steelers to run more. This season, they ran on 43 percent of their offensive snaps. Is that enough? Arians is the man who minimized Steelers’ icon Hines Ward. Perhaps that didn’t sit well with upper management. Word is the Steelers may bring back Aaron Smith despite injuries that sidelined him for most of the last three seasons. Tradition counts.

Maybe it counts too much.

Maybe Rooney wants to pay Roethlisberger $102 million to hand off more.

Maybe Rooney wants to pound the ball on the ground, just like granddaddy’s team. According to ESPN.com, sources say Arians was canned with an eye toward shifting “the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.”

Anybody got Jerome Bettis’ number?

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 9d08b.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/madden-arians-firing-makes-little-sense/article_db288763-f407-5f4a-88a5-f669a8a9d08b.html)

Dresden
01-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Maybe Rooney wants to pound the ball on the ground, just like granddaddy’s team. According to ESPN.com, sources say Arians was canned with an eye toward shifting “the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.”

Anybody got Jerome Bettis’ number?
l

No Sir,...but we do have Redman's (number) until we can acquire a once in a generation back like Bussie again. Hopefully,..this time with an exceptional passer as a Qb so that we might lay waste to every single defense that might stand before us. i'm just saying,..in a perfect world.

Shawn
01-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Madden actually has some points.

1) Going from a passing team to a run it down your throat team with a franchise QB is ignorant.

2) Arians wasn't as bad as billed. He was good at play design, poor at in game adjustment. Sounds a bit like Lebeau.

Slapstick
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
2) Arians wasn't as bad as billed. He was good at play design, poor at in game adjustment. Sounds a bit like Lebeau.

Except not...

Ghost
01-24-2012, 10:35 AM
The Steelers’ red-zone efficiency was dismal at Denver

This is a gross understatement. The red zone effeciency sucked balls all season.

Leper Friend
01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I won't waste 1 minute reading anything that fat lard writes.

I'll sum every article up right here -

-Madden takes the exact opposite stance of whatever the popular opinion is.

-He lamely insults ownership , coaching and every player not named Roethlisberger

- He says "yinzer" alot.

Done.

Oviedo
01-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Except not...

Except exactly...

LeBeau is terrible about in game adjustments. How many years and embarassments did it take him to catch on that you could not give 10 yard cushions given the new passing rules. Even now he won't go away from that completely.

Remember what a blitz is, LeBeau doesn't lots of times and we rush three and give QBs all day to pick us apart.

LeBeau is great against teams with averge or below QBs but he has always struggled against good teams with good QBs because he puts the same template out there every week.

Like I have said, both coordinators needed to go...one down and one to go!!!!

SteelBucks
01-24-2012, 10:57 AM
"Or why not leave pretty good alone?"

Sorry Madden, but ranked #21 in scoring is not "pretty good". In the NFL, it comes down to scoring when talking about offenses. Struggling in the redzone and settling for FG's with all their weapons in unacceptable.

RuthlessBurgher
01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Is Art Rooney II qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright?

Dan Rooney wasn't qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright either, but he managed to get himself into the Hall of Fame. Imagine that.

phillyesq
01-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I won't waste 1 minute reading anything that fat lard writes.

I'll sum every article up right here -

-Madden takes the exact opposite stance of whatever the popular opinion is.

-He lamely insults ownership , coaching and every player not named Roethlisberger

- He says "yinzer" alot.

Done.

:Clap :Clap

Well said.

Madden says and writes inflammatory crap hoping to get a reaction. He does it for ratings and page views.

feltdizz
01-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Dan Rooney wasn't qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright either, but he managed to get himself into the Hall of Fame. Imagine that.

true... but I think there is Jerry Jones running a football team vs Dan Rooney running a football team. I think Madden is implying he may have a little JJ in him.

TD386Steel
01-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm moving forward

Blitz-en
01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Hmmm, no mention of the insanely stupid playcalling that resulted in an average of 5 bubble screens/game at a 1.3 yards/catch clip.

And, "Gee", where we gonna find a DC that will put his defense in the top 5 every single year? They are probably a dime a dozen, right?

Why not do some real investigative reporting and give us the percentage of offensive plays that go for 10 yards or more that were executed the way they were designed. Then, contrast that with the percentage of offensive plays that go for 10 yards or more in which Ben makes something good happen after the play has broken down. That's some stats that I'd like to see. But, obviously Madden is not the one to present it.

Boy, the no-huddle offense seemed to work in years past, let's completely eliminate it from our gameplan!

Oh, hell, forget about all this thinking, let's call Ben and go golfing. I'll pay, that way he will go to bat for me at the end of each year.

feltdizz
01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Hmmm, no mention of the insanely stupid playcalling that resulted in an average of 5 bubble screens/game at a 1.3 yards/catch clip.

And, "Gee", where we gonna find a DC that will put his defense in the top 5 every single year? They are probably a dime a dozen, right?

Why not do some real investigative reporting and give us the percentage of offensive plays that go for 10 yards or more that were executed the way they were designed. Then, contrast that with the percentage of offensive plays that go for 10 yards or more in which Ben makes something good happen after the play has broken down. That's some stats that I'd like to see. But, obviously Madden is not the one to present it.

Boy, the no-huddle offense seemed to work in years past, let's completely eliminate it from our gameplan!

Oh, hell, forget about all this thinking, let's call Ben and go golfing. I'll pay, that way he will go to bat for me at the end of each year.

Ben tried to run a bubble screen in the no huddle.... and I think the % of plays Ben executed 10 yards or more after a play breaks down is probably the same under Arians as was under Whiz...

half of the plays that break down are due to Ben... it's what he prefers IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM

true... but I think there is Jerry Jones running a football team vs Dan Rooney running a football team. I think Madden is implying he may have a little JJ in him.

Art Rooney II is to Mike Tomlin and Bruce Arians as Dan Rooney is to Chuck Noll and Joe Walton.

Dee Dub
01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
"Is Art Rooney II qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright?"

After reading that, I refused to read anything else in this article. How lame is that? Of course ARII is qualified to run a football team. He was born into a family who does nothing but run this football team. He was raised by his grandfather and father to run this football team. He was taught how to do so by some of the greatest NFL owner/presidents the league has ever had.

Would Madden have said the same thing about the Chief? No he wouldnt have...and what qualified the Chief to run an NFL team? Because he had money? That is exactly what it was for the Chief when he started as owner of the Steelers. Not because he had experience running a football team. But you can't say that about ARII. He has had a wealth of knowledge and experience to run a football team.

Snatch98
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM

1) Going from a passing team to a run it down your throat team with a franchise QB is ignorant.

I don't think for a second we're going to go from a passing team to a pound it down your throat team. I think the blue collar reference just means we're going to strive to run the ball more effectively, use a full back and have a more balanced offense. All of which should only help Ben get more high quality opportunities not less. There is absolutely no way you pay a QB 100 million dollars to hand the ball off and you certainly don't do that when he has a trio of wr's like Wallace, Brown and Sanders.

We'll hopefully see the tight ends used more and the half backs (mendenhall) used more in the pass game.

As far as Arians is concerned he drew up some inventive pass plays but his run game was extremely weak in my opinion and from a offensive coordinator stand point not being able to adjust is worse than a D coordinator not adjusting. Also if Lebeau didn't adjust a lot of us wouldn't have the mindset that Lebeau shows one thing the first time and something different the next. As in he doesn't want to show all his cards until the game really is on the line. Now obviously this isn't always the case because we wouldn't have let Tebow abuse us on essentially the same play 4 or 5 times. However Ike did have arguably the worst game of his career. Either way I'm not sad to see Arians go, not even a little bit.

Jigawatts
01-24-2012, 02:20 PM

I don't think for a second we're going to go from a passing team to a pound it down your throat team. I think the blue collar reference just means we're going to strive to run the ball more effectively, use a full back and have a more balanced offense. All of which should only help Ben get more high quality opportunities not less. There is absolutely no way you pay a QB 100 million dollars to hand the ball off and you certainly don't do that when he has a trio of wr's like Wallace, Brown and Sanders.

We'll hopefully see the tight ends used more and the half backs (mendenhall) used more in the pass game.

As far as Arians is concerned he drew up some inventive pass plays but his run game was extremely weak in my opinion and from a offensive coordinator stand point not being able to adjust is worse than a D coordinator not adjusting. Also if Lebeau didn't adjust a lot of us wouldn't have the mindset that Lebeau shows one thing the first time and something different the next. As in he doesn't want to show all his cards until the game really is on the line. Now obviously this isn't always the case because we wouldn't have let Tebow abuse us on essentially the same play 4 or 5 times. However Ike did have arguably the worst game of his career. Either way I'm not sad to see Arians go, not even a little bit.

:Agree You just saved me from typing all that out.

Does anyone really think we want to get back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust with
a franchise QB... 3 outstanding young wide receivers... and in an era designed for the pass?

I'm no expert, but maybe a fullback as a lead blocker would help the running game.
Maybe a fullback could be used for extra protection so our QB doesn't get hit 438
times a game.

Sugar
01-24-2012, 02:24 PM
I will laugh pretty good if the new OC doesn't use a FB either.

papillon
01-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Personally, I would welcome an offense similar to the Ravens, but with Ben pulling the trigger.

Pappy