PDA

View Full Version : Speed is Overrated

NorthCoast
01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Look at the teams in the SB this year. Completely devoid of WRs with blazing speed. BUT, what stands out are teams with beasts at the position (*NE uses its TEs like WRs in this case).

Trade Wallace and find a WR alla Boldin or A. Johnson, force Ben to throw the underneath stuff. All will be well again in the Burgh.

SteelCrazy
01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Look at the teams in the SB this year. Completely devoid of WRs with blazing speed. BUT, what stands out are teams with beasts at the position (*NE uses its TEs like WRs in this case).

Trade Wallace and find a WR alla Boldin or A. Johnson, force Ben to throw the underneath stuff. All will be well again in the Burgh.

The Pats* use their TE's as running backs as well....Bruce almost had DJ in the right spot.

grotonsteel
01-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Ben needs a WR who can beat press coverage. WR like Andre Johnson would help for sure.

StarSpangledSteeler
01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
If Brady or Rogers had Mike Wallace you'd see a completely different WR. You'd see much isolations and 5 yard cuts. Quick slants. You'd see Wallace crossing the field. Then when he did go deep, you'd see the QB hit him in stride at 30 yards instead of lofting it up at 45 yards.

It's the route design, not the speed. That is why Arians had to go.

fezziwig
01-23-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm a firm believer Arians mismanaged the personale that we have on offense.

Steel Life
01-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Did he actually say "Boldin"?!? :P He's kidding...right?

NJ-STEELER
01-24-2012, 01:45 AM
wallace ran those short routes.

and in the last few games was spotted dropping the ball looking out for a hit from the defense. dont forget how he didnt fight for the ball on the INT in the SB.

his short game needs a lot of work

PSU_dropout43
01-24-2012, 03:03 AM
wallace ran those short routes.

and in the last few games was spotted dropping the ball looking out for a hit from the defense. dont forget how he didnt fight for the ball on the INT in the SB.

his short game needs a lot of work
this.
Wallace is a poor route runner.

skyhawk
01-24-2012, 04:08 AM

Ben needs a WR who can beat press coverage. WR like Andre Johnson would help for sure.

Finally!! :Clap

Shawn
01-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah, and I need a few million in the bank account. Guys like AJ don't grow on trees. I remember when Brady was cutting people up with Branch as his best WR. Good design goes a long way in stretching the talent you have...and hiding deficiencies. I actually like the play design of many of Arians plays. What I didn't like was his inability to adjust.

phillyesq
01-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah, and I need a few million in the bank account. Guys like AJ don't grow on trees. I remember when Brady was cutting people up with Branch as his best WR. Good design goes a long way in stretching the talent you have...and hiding deficiencies. I actually like the play design of many of Arians plays. What I didn't like was his inability to adjust.

At times, he did nice things with play designs. There were also plays that ended up poorly spaced.

A big WR that could muscle DBs for the ball and fight through press coverage would be great. But you can just as easily adjust things presnap (maybe send a guy in motion) to help with beating press coverage.

Steelers>NFL
01-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Speed is overrated? I think not. Look at Vernon Davis TE for the Niners.
Unbelievable speed for a TE. Great player too!

feltdizz
01-24-2012, 11:50 AM

My biggest beef with Ben is his reluctance to throw a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 8 to our RB's or Heath quickly in space

Not the Heath screen or "help me I'm about to die" dump off for no gain but the quick scan of the field and dump it off to Redman or Mendenhall.

Steelers>NFL
01-24-2012, 12:44 PM

My biggest beef with Ben is his reluctance to throw a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 8 to our RB's or Heath quickly in space

Not the Heath screen or "help me I'm about to die" dump off for no gain but the quick scan of the field and dump it off to Redman or Mendenhall.
I hear ya. Most of his injuries, he brings on himself.

RuthlessBurgher
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
WR like Andre Johnson would help for sure.

Yeah, no kidding...Andre Johnson would help 31 other teams too. Why not take it a step further and say that we need to get Ben a couple of WR's like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, and while we're at it, might as well get a Larry Fitzgerald to play in the slot too. :lol:

Dee Dub
01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Well let's clarify this statement that Speed is Overrated.

Speed with talent is not overrated. Speed with out talent is. Like former track stars and NFL players Renaldo Nehemiah and Ron Brown. Blazing fast, fast fast. But football talent? Not so good.

It's like that saying "Faith without Works is dead". :wink:

phillyesq
01-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Yeah, no kidding...Andre Johnson would help 31 other teams too. Why not take it a step further and say that we need to get Ben a couple of WR's like Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson, and while we're at it, might as well get a Larry Fitzgerald to play in the slot too. :lol:

Why stop there? A complimentary tight end like Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis would also help, as would a left tackle like Jake Long.

ikestops85
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Why stop there? A complimentary tight end like Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis would also help, as would a left tackle like Jake Long.

We could probably make do with Jermichael Finley. :lol:

skyhawk
01-24-2012, 05:58 PM

We could probably make do with Jermichael Finley. :lol:

Ben would never throw to him. :stirpot