PDA

View Full Version : How long do OC's stick with the same team?

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Just wondered how long OC's usually stick with the same team. 5 years seems like a long time in today's NFL when I think about it.

Steelgal
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure, but I would think the better OCs after a few good years might have a chance to leave and become a head coach. Same probably goes for DCs.

Slapstick
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
I think it depends on the organization...

For many NFL teams, it isn't like the HC and/or GM have a ton of job security...where does that leave assistant coaches?

I think it also has to do with the age of the coordinator...Tom Moore was with the Colts for 12 seasons and never in his long career was he a head coach...

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 04:53 PM

For many NFL teams, it isn't like the HC and/or GM have a ton of job security...where does that leave assistant coaches?

I think it also has to do with the age of the coordinator...Tom Moore was with the Colts for 12 seasons and never in his long career was he a head coach...

12 years? Was that during Peyton's tenure? If so, he had an easy job.

Just seems like most teams shed an OC regardless of promotion or firing after 3 or 4 years.

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Just seems like most teams shed an OC regardless of promotion or firing after 3 or 4 years.

He wasn't exactly lighting up scoreboards as our O.C. from 83-89...although he did do a good job as our WR coach from 77-82, since those are the years when the passing game truly opened up (for the first two Super Bowls, we were undoubtedly a running team, and morphed into a dangerous passing team for the second two Super Bowls).

Slapstick
01-23-2012, 11:00 PM

It was during the Manning years...regardless of how easy you think his job was, he still held it for 12 years and had success...

Kevin Gilbride has been the OC for the Giants for a long time as well...

Marty Mornhingweg (sp?) has been the OC in Philly for a long time...

Organizations with stability keep coordinators longer...

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2012, 11:06 PM

He wasn't exactly lighting up scoreboards as our O.C. from 83-89...although he did do a good job as our WR coach from 77-82, since those are the years when the passing game truly opened up (for the first two Super Bowls, we were undoubtedly a running team, and morphed into a dangerous passing team for the second two Super Bowls).

I think I would be a great WR coach if was coaching players in their prime like Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

fezziwig
01-23-2012, 11:15 PM
For the Steelers and Arians, too long.