PDA

View Full Version : Which is Worse?

flippy
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Losing the way Baltimore did? or the way SF did?

Both teams coulda and probably shoulda won.

But they didn't.

Those losses woulda made me madder than losing to Tebow.

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2012, 02:56 PM
losing to Denver the way we did was the worst of all.

at least the 49ers and Ravens lost to good teams with good QBs...

Steelers>NFL
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM

:Agree

NW Steeler
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM

That said, I don't think the Ravens lost to the Pats because of their QB. When is the last time you would have said that about Brady? After Flacco threw a killer int, Brady gave it right back. Flacco made enough plays to win. A dropped pass/great play by a CB cost Baltimore the game. If that was us in their position and our kicker had missed that kick, I would be devastated. Horribly.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

That said, I don't think the Ravens lost to the Pats because of their QB. When is the last time you would have said that about Brady? After Flacco threw a killer int, Brady gave it right back. Flacco made enough plays to win. A dropped pass/great play by a CB cost Baltimore the game. If that was us in their position and our kicker had missed that kick, I would be devastated. Horribly.

Losing to Denver trumps all...

and I agree, Flacco wasn't the reason they lost.

Did anyone see the Pats player Kemo a Rats lineman after the whistle on a false start? Wow... how was there no flag on that?

Oviedo
01-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Did anyone see the Pats player Kemo a Rats lineman after the whistle on a false start? Wow... how was there no flag on that?

:Agree Losing to a team that much inferior to us because of stupid gameplanning is by far worse. We never gave our players the chance to win playing the stupid defense we did.

Sugar
01-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Denver only qualified for the playoffs because they played in the worst division in the league. The Steelers could easily have been a #1 seed.

The way we went out is much worse, IMO.

grotonsteel
01-23-2012, 05:24 PM

+1

Steelers No.1 defense did not showed up when it mattered the most where as teams like pats and Giants whose Defense was not highly ranked in regular season are playing pretty well in playoffs.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM

+1

Steelers No.1 defense did not showed up when it mattered the most where as teams like pats and Giants whose Defense was not highly ranked in regular season are playing pretty well in playoffs.

I think Ben would have carved up the Pats with ease... Flacco pretty much had them beat if it wasn't for the drop by Evans. I think the Giants will pass all over this Pat D. WE bailed them out by losing to Denver.

NW Steeler
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Had we beaten the Pats, which I have doubts considering how injured we were, does anyone feel confident that we would have beaten the Ratbirds on the road? How would you have felt if the Ravens beat us en route to the SB? I'll take the loss to the Broncos, personally. With the disclaimer being that we were too beat up to go all the way at any rate.

fezziwig
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
steelers losing to the broncos was the worse of all for all the above mentioned reasons.

as for the ravens loss/9rs loss, thats's a tuffy.
i'll go with the 9rs loss was the worse for the afc/nfc champion loss.

who's to say the ravens would have won in overtime ?

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Perspective won't cure Ravens heartbreak - The most heartbreaking loss in Ravens history

Peter Schmuck
January 22, 2012

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/thumbnails/story/2012-01/67556924-22154644.jpg

Nobody wants to hear about perspective at a time like this. It's just too soon. The disappointment is too raw.

The Ravens will be watching the New England Patriots represent the AFC in the Super Bowl even though Joe Flacco outplayed Tom Brady and for a split second Lee Evans had his arms around the game-winning touchdown.

This one's going to hurt for awhile. Just ask Billy Cundiff, who missed a short field goal in the final seconds that would have kept hope alive.

There isn't going to be a Super Harbaugh Bowl in the backyard of the evil Indianapolis Colts or a rematch of the 2001 Super Bowl that has been the Ravens' calling card for too many years now. Owner Steve Bisciotti will to have to wait at least another 12 months to light up a big fat cigar and hoist his very own Lombardi Trophy.

John Harbaugh can say that the Ravens had a great year and he would be correct but it will be some time before it feels that way. That's the price of success. The Ravens have been to the playoffs in each of his four seasons, so the desire to climb higher makes perfectionists of us all.

If you need proof of that, consider that they'll probably hold a parade on Pratt Street if the Orioles finish at .500 this year, but local sports fans will spend the next few days filled with disappointment because the Ravens are only the second-best or third-best team in the NFL.

Then it will be time to look ahead to speculate on just what the Ravens have to do to get to the mountaintop.

The case can be made that general manager Ozzie Newsome won't have to do much of anything. The Ravens were good enough this year. They came into Sunday's AFC title game with a 6-0 record against the teams on their schedule that made the playoffs. They won 12 regular-season games. They will almost certainly bring back all of their skills players on offense and most of their top players on the other side of the ball.

Fans will have to hold their collective breath for a few days to see if Ed Reed or Matt Birk decides to retire, but Ray Lewis has confirmed he will be back and the Ravens are otherwise a relatively young team that is going to stay largely intact. The same probably goes for the front office and coaching staff, though whispers about the job security of offensive coordinator Cam Cameron seem inevitable after weeks of discontent with the Ravens' inconsistent offensive attack.

It will be lost in the aftermath of another crying game, but Cam called some pretty good shots.

This is where the whole perspective thing comes into focus again. The Ravens don't really need to find someone to blame. They went 13-5 (including last week's playoff win over the Houston Texans) this year and only one NFL team the Pittsburgh Steelers has won more regular season and playoff games during the Harbaugh era.

So, it's back to The Castle for a ton of soul-searching and strategizing to get into position to take that next step next season.

The player personnel staff will move quickly into draft mode and start looking for an impact player who will still be around when the Ravens make their first pick very late in the first round. There are also some big contract issues looming, since it's time to lock up Flacco long-term and (most likely) put the franchise tag on running back Ray Rice for the 2012 season.

Please, stop all the blather about Flacco not being the guy to get the Ravens to the Super Bowl. The Ravens waited a long time to settle on a franchise quarterback, and they've got the young quarterback who won more regular season games in his first four seasons than any other in NFL history. He just threw for 306 yards and two touchdowns and delivered a perfect pass to Evans that would have won the game if it hadn't been stripped away by rookie Sterling Moore before Evans could establish that the play was complete.

It may be true that Flacco still has to prove he can win the last game of the season, but the same goes for Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers and 23 other starting quarterbacks in the league.

The trick is creating the perfect offensive system to maximize his talent, which will almost certainly be debated inside the front office over the next few weeks. That will also be a hot topic on the airwaves and the Internet, where Cameron has been taking more than his share of lumps throughout the season.

The Ravens should again have one of the top defensive teams next year, but it would look a lot different without Reed roaming around the deep secondary. He and Birk have remained non-committal about next season, but their fans can only hope that the one upside of Sunday's devastating loss is that it leaves the two of them feeling like they have some unfinished business.

Time will tell. Everyone will need some time to pause and reflect on another good season that ended a couple of weeks too soon.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/rave ... 966.column (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-schmuck-column-0123-20120122,0,5627966.column)

Northern_Blitz
01-23-2012, 08:20 PM

But they didn't.

I think their loss was worse. With our injury situation (and another 2-3 guys that would have been done for the year after the Bronco game anyway) we didn't have a good shot at getting another trophy.

I think that the Ravens would have had a good shot against the Giants.

Dee Dub
01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
steelers losing to the broncos was the worse of all for all the above mentioned reasons.

as for the ravens loss/9rs loss, thats's a tuffy.
i'll go with the 9rs loss was the worse for the afc/nfc champion loss.

who's to say the ravens would have won in overtime ?

I disagree!! And why? Becasue we are drafting 24th and they are draft 29th and 30th. :lol:

DukieBoy
01-23-2012, 09:17 PM

Kemo has become a verb. Well done.

RussBII
01-23-2012, 11:08 PM

But they didn't.

I think their loss was worse. With our injury situation (and another 2-3 guys that would have been done for the year after the Bronco game anyway) we didn't have a good shot at getting another trophy.

I was at the Denver game (great stadium nice people, bathrooms have dry floors!) and I have to tell you that losing in that fashion sucked, but it wasn't that bad. I think the way we lost to the Ravens to open the season was worse. That caused me utter despair for a whole week. The Ravens got GUT punched. They're almost GUARANTEED a shot to win when they line up...

fezziwig
01-23-2012, 11:24 PM

But they didn't.

I was at the Denver game (great stadium nice people, bathrooms have dry floors!) and I have to tell you that losing in that fashion sucked, but it wasn't that bad. I think the way we lost to the Ravens to open the season was worse. That caused me utter despair for a whole week. The Ravens got GUT punched. They're almost GUARANTEED a shot to win when they line up...

what do you me gut punched and guaranteed to win, how ?

RuthlessBurgher
01-24-2012, 02:46 PM
What do you me gut punched and guaranteed to win, how ?

http://fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/yoda.jpg

feltdizz
01-24-2012, 03:14 PM

But they didn't.

what do you me gut punched and guaranteed to win, how ?

I can only comment on your post because Yoda appeared and led me to the true meaning of your post.

Dude said they were "almost" guaranteed "A SHOT" to win...

which I believe meant time over would have been achieved.