PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Williams Could Prove Very Valuable for Pittsburgh

SteelCrazy
01-22-2012, 11:51 PM
The acquisition of wide receiver Derrick Williams could prove to be a very key addition to this team. The Steelers have a solid young trio of receivers who are all coming into their own; Williams could bolster this bunch with his shiftiness in the open field and big play ability that has been lacking since coming to the NFL.

Williams has the ability to return both punt and kickoff returns, as he did when he was a member of the Penn State Nittany Lions. He was highly recruited out of high school, being rated the number one overall recruit for the 2005 class by rivals.com.

He has been somewhat of a disappointment since be drafted by the Detroit Lions in the 2009 NFL draft. Detroit chose him with the 18th pick in the 3rd round of that year’s draft. He has only played 18 games since being drafted into the league. Mostly because of an ankle injury that resulted in him missing nearly the entire 2010 season. Detroit waived him prior to this season.

“D-Will” as many people call him, is still relatively young in terms of the NFL (25). He was clocked with running a sub par 4.4 when he was in high school, but ran a substandard 4.68 at the NFL combine.

I am not sure which D-Will the Steelers will be getting, and I’m not saying that this will work out. However, it has the potential to be brilliant. He is an adequate run blocker who has pretty good hands. With Hines Ward’s future up in the air, Williams could be the one to replace Ward’s style of play.

Being a Penn State graduate and season ticket holder from 2007-2010, I witnessed Williams do some things with the ball that not many other players could pull-off. Maybe a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered for Williams. Perhaps he will return to the game-changer he was in College. If that is the case, the Steelers just hit the jackpot.

http://www.rantsports.com/pittsburgh-st ... -steelers/ (http://www.rantsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/01/22/addition-of-wr-derrick-williams-could-prove-to-be-very-valuable-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers/)

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Derrick Williams was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft as a WR and kick/punt returner. He excelled at neither, had trouble holding onto the ball and was cut unceremoniously after two years of lackluster performance with career stats of 9 catches for 82 yards and no TDs.

I'll cheer for him, sometimes in life we just need a fresh start but he better impress the Steeler coaches quickly. one fumble returning a kickoff or punt and he'll be gone...

Dee Dub
01-23-2012, 12:23 AM
SteelCrazy you should drop the "par" part where you mention his 40 time in high school. Sub means below and Par means average. Ya feel me??? :D

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Being a PSU guy...If I remember correctly...Williams worked out at the combine against his agents advise. He had the flu and his agent advise him to go at his proday. Not that it changes what he has done in the NFL to date. I think he may be a player who will do well in a change of scenery and having a group of WR around him with good work ethic. Many players that come out show some immaturity when they have to go play for a bottom feeder and the effort on the field reflects it. I think there may be a little case of that in Williams. Last chance...See what happens.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2012, 09:56 AM
He ran a 4.37 at the PSU pro day. Who knows, but he will get a chance to show something in camp.

7 UP
01-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Being a Penn St guy I am excited for this. Williams was a favorite of mine. I think its a good signing. The potential is still there. We didnt sign him for much, so if it works out great, if not no harm done. The Steelers specialize in low risk high reward signings.

steelz09
01-23-2012, 11:36 AM
I stopped reading when the article was bragging about Williams high school days.

Oviedo
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
I stopped reading when the article was bragging about Williams high school days.

:Agree The odds that Williams is anything other than a camp body are slim to none. I liked him coming out but three years is more than enough to establish yourself. No way he matches up to the talent that is already here. If looking for a #4 or #5 receiver I'd rather bring a rookie in.

steelblood
01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Willilams has been terrible so far. However, he does have talent (speed and quickness). If he is motivated he could make the team and contribute well in a reserve role.

ikestops85
01-23-2012, 01:10 PM
maybe we ought to see if Sweed is still available. He could be the big receiver we are missing in our offense. :moon