PDA

View Full Version : Gronkowski???

pick6
01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
His ankle got rolled up pretty bad. Hopefully he will not be ready for the Super Bowl. Glad to see that look on Harscums face but I would have rather the Ravens had won. They have already started the talk about Brady being the best QB in the history of existence. GO ELI !!!!!!

Steelgal
01-22-2012, 07:45 PM
As a rival, I can't stand Brady, but I respect him as a player. The fire he showed after he got the TD on the QB sneak was great. He was a 6th round pick and turned out better than most 1 overall picks. He's a fierce competitor and shows how hard work/film study can make you even better. I wish Ben had more of his study habits.

focosteeler
01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
:shock: proof that gronkowski is actually human.

fezziwig
01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I seen his interview after the game. I didn't put his football ability with his personality.

pick6
01-22-2012, 09:06 PM
As a rival, I can't stand Brady, but I respect him as a player. The fire he showed after he got the TD on the QB sneak was great. He was a 6th round pick and turned out better than most 1 overall picks. He's a fierce competitor and shows how hard work/film study can make you even better. I wish Ben had more of his study habits.

Me not being able to stand his smug and pompous attitude overrides whatever kind of player he is. I dont care how good he is we hate the sissy boy. Don't know how a steeler fan can like the fire of a guy who despises our team. I remember last season when they beat us in our house and he spiked the ball after getting a 4 inch QB sneak and yelled at the crowd, that's fine, but I hate him and his friggin work ethic. All those SB trophies were due to illegal film studies. If Ben had that he would have for rings by now. F brady and his fire. AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

fezziwig
01-22-2012, 09:31 PM
pick6 i'm with you. if people want to down play the cheating that's fine with me but, if you think you can't compete straight up then, you cheat.

i remember watching those games and my brother would say, looks as if they already know what the steelers are going to run. how can they always be in the correct formation for what the steelers are going to do ?

now we freakin know. they were cheating.

they should have the *********'s next to their names and in the record books. could you imagine if the steelers did something like that and got caught ? we would still be hearing about it and been punished more than the cheats were.

Sword
01-23-2012, 12:40 PM
quote....

Response

After footage from the actual tape was aired on Fox NFL Sunday on September 16, former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson claimed, "This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn't think it helped us." Johnson also said, "Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That's why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn't make [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this

What he did was wrong but, I don't believe it helped at all...

Sword

pick6
01-23-2012, 12:46 PM
pick6 i'm with you. if people want to down play the cheating that's fine with me but, if you think you can't compete straight up then, you cheat.

i remember watching those games and my brother would say, looks as if they already know what the steelers are going to run. how can they always be in the correct formation for what the steelers are going to do ?

now we freakin know. they were cheating.

they should have the *********'s next to their names and in the record books. could you imagine if the steelers did something like that and got caught ? we would still be hearing about it and been punished more than the cheats were.

I agree fezziwig. But we might not want to watch any sports shows for the next 2 weeks. They've qued up all the meaningless stats and history to show how great this belicheat is and the horrible slow motions of princess brady.

But Gronkowski is the key. Can the Giants beat the pats WITH Gronkowski, yes. They already did, but he had about 100 yds on them too.

Can the Pats beat NYG without Gron? I just don't think that they can. We beat them, partially because they don't have anyone who can truly stretch the field a la Randy Moss. Gron has become that extra weapon they need to give everyone else a chance to get open. If he is out then the coverage gets extra tight on the rest of their team. This is a rather limited offense with an excellent QB and really good play calling and in game adjustments. They saw that the ravens were in total pass def mode. So they started to gouge them in the running game.

I think the biggest real story going into this superbowl is Grons ankle. It looked like a high ankle sprain. And from what (I think) I know about them, they get a little worse before they get better. The swelling can increase over time, go down largely do to artificial meds, then sometimes the swelling comes back. I just can't see him being effective at the TE position with a very gimpy ankle. He is always pushing off of it. It will effect his blocking, straight line speed (which he needs to be at 100%), and cutting.
They will dope him up and wrap him tight but Im hoping that he will be ineffective and his situation should deteriorate as the game progresses. Too much stress on it in a game situation and that swelling will increase 3 fold, instantly. Any body have any updates on this guys ankle?

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Sword

Read this and get back to me about that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

I love the part where Art Modell offers $10,000 to anyone who can tell him what Ernie Adams does.

fezziwig
01-23-2012, 01:26 PM
They're cheating and I'm sure they are still cheating.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
They're cheating and I'm sure they are still cheating.

:Agree

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Reports: Gronkowski will play in Super Bowl

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 23, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/r-gronktackled.jpg?w=149

Well, that didnít take long.

We already have reports that Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski will be ready to play in the Super Bowl despite the ankle injury that he suffered against the Ravens.

Signs were looking good on Sunday night with Gronkowski able to return on a few plays after the injury. Now multiple reports in Boston already say heíll be ready to face the Giants. Dan Roche of WBZ and Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald both report Gronkowski will play.

So that settles that. Just donít expect to officially know until gametime.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... uper-bowl/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/reports-gronkowski-will-play-in-super-bowl/)

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
quote....

Response

After footage from the actual tape was aired on Fox NFL Sunday on September 16, former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson claimed, "This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn't think it helped us." Johnson also said, "Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it. But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That's why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn't make [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this

Sword

It certainly did help. Nobody ever asks 'who reviews the illegal video? Google 'Ernie Adams' & go ahead and read about his photographic memory (for real).

Shawn
01-23-2012, 04:20 PM
What happens when you send Rain Man to other teams practices?

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 04:51 PM
I hate the Pats more than any team in football...

Brady is good and I like his fire... but I hate him. HATE HIM.

Destroyed tapes... rain man, hiring a fired OC in the same season and letting him coach in the same year.... taking away a 1st round pick when they had 2.

I hope the Giants destroy the Pats.

Sugar
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I hate the Pats more than any team in football...

Brady is good and I like his fire... but I hate him. HATE HIM.

Destroyed tapes... rain man, hiring a fired OC in the same season and letting him coach in the same year.... taking away a 1st round pick when they had 2.

I hope the Giants destroy the Pats.

See, I hate the Ravens more than any team in the NFL. As much as I dislike the Pat's, I bless them for beating the Ravens.

I do like Brady. He has a fantastic story. Say what you want about any supposed cheating, the guy makes all the throws and has been the gold standard of NFL QB's for a long time. For a guy who went to a run-first school and didn't get drafted until late, I have to admire what he's done (being a U-M alum doesn't hurt).

Losing Gronk will hurt them, but they will find ways to exploit the Giants D in other ways. While I'm somewhat pulling for the G-men, I probably won't even watch. I have too much other crap to do to really care too much if the Steelers aren't in it.

JTP53609
01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
gronkowski's sprain looked hard to watch, I thought for sure he would be out of the super bowl, after all our center missed the super bowl and this years playoff game with what looks to be a similar injury

winwithd
01-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Marsha the Mirage. He plays in an offense built just for him with players acquired, to fit the offense built for him, via the draft to the detriment of the defense. Add to that the fact that he gets an unfair advantage thru cheating and that is what makes him what he is, a GOOD quarterback and that is all. Matt Cassell in his first starting role since high school went 11-5 with the talent that surrounds Marsha. Enough said.

NJ-STEELER
01-24-2012, 01:00 AM
gronkowski's sprain looked hard to watch, I thought for sure he would be out of the super bowl, after all our center missed the super bowl and this years playoff game with what looks to be a similar injury

our center said he was going to play in the superbowl as well. until the friday before being ruled out

Shawn
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Marsha the Mirage. He plays in an offense built just for him with players acquired, to fit the offense built for him, via the draft to the detriment of the defense. Add to that the fact that he gets an unfair advantage thru cheating and that is what makes him what he is, a GOOD quarterback and that is all. Matt Cassell in his first starting role since high school went 11-5 with the talent that surrounds Marsha. Enough said.

When I read things like this I understand why fans and their opinions are not taken very seriously. We all despise the Patriots. None of us like Brady. How could we? He has been cutting our secondary up for years. But, Brady was dissecting secondaries long before he had a supporting cast. If he wins the SB this season, he will go down as the best to ever play the game. Now that may not sit well with Steeler fans, but it will happen none the less. It just makes our fan base look small when we can't give credit where credit is due.

ikestops85
01-24-2012, 10:43 AM

When I read things like this I understand why fans and their opinions are not taken very seriously. We all despise the Patriots. None of us like Brady. How could we? He has been cutting our secondary up for years. But, Brady was dissecting secondaries long before he had a supporting cast. If he wins the SB this season, he will go down as the best to ever play the game. Now that may not sit well with Steeler fans, but it will happen none the less. It just makes our fan base look small when we can't give credit where credit is due.

You are correct Shawn. I, like most Steeler fans, have a deep seated hatred for the guy but to not recognize his talent is ridiculous. The guy is one helluva QB ... period.

Ghost
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I agree Shawn. Pretending Brady is not an exceptional QB makes one seem small and petty. He's a unanimous, 1st ballot, no discussion HOF'er.

And if someone is unsure, just ask NFL coaches and players. After the 2010 season Brady was voted the #1 best player in the NFL by his peers and coaches.

2010 - 3,900 yards, 36 tds to 4 ints (he set the record for passes thrown w/o an int), and a rating of 111 - highest in the league.

2011 - 5,235 yards, 39 tds to 12 ints, and a 105.6 rating - 3rd in the league, and is in his 5th SB (2 SB MVP's)

but yeah, he's mediocre.... I am still excited that the Steelers took Tee Martin while TB was still on the board!

pick6
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
You see this is the problem. People just can't seem to get the facts straight even when its in print, right in front of their faces. The people who truly understand the level of this guys arrogance have all taken note of his excellent passing abilities. Therefore, unless you guys are just bringing up a point out of nowhere, which is fine, your statements about not giving the low life sissy boy credit or that song about looking small, are without grounds, completely. Yeah he can throw the ball. So what? Our point is that the guy is pompous and arrogant, he tries to show up other players (but would never talk smack in any other setting other than one in which he is protected), tries to show up fans in other stadiums, and he hates the Steelers just like his coach. He's simply an enemy.

Furthermore, he and his coach came together to cheat us out of 2 possible Superbowl appearances and if a Steeler fan is willing to let that slide because his man crush slash fan boy tendencies are just so strong that he is compelled to join the herds of oblivious sycophants then that just sucks... for whoever that may be. The bulk of this guys so called legacy is based on he and his coaches stealing/filming other team signals along with other things to gain an unfair advantage over other teams. Half the time they knew exactly what was coming and still just barely won some of those games. Then Goodell destroys that tapes. Can you imagine what was on those tapes. I would not be shocked if these scoundrels, belicheck in particular, had found a new way to cheat to this day. Look at the behavior of Mcdaniel, and then they hire this brazen and dishonored cheat right back onto the team. They need his ability to decode signals and transform them into actionable intelligence, probably. Birds of a feather, that includes your hero brady.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
You see this is the problem. People just can't seem to get the facts straight even when its in print, right in front of their faces. The people who truly understand the level of this guys arrogance have all taken note of his excellent passing abilities. Therefore, unless you guys are just bringing up a point out of nowhere, which is fine, your statements about not giving the low life sissy boy credit or that song about looking small, are without grounds, completely. Yeah he can throw the ball. So what? Our point is that the guy is pompous and arrogant, he tries to show up other players (but would never talk smack in any other setting other than one in which he is protected), tries to show up fans in other stadiums, and he hates the Steelers just like his coach. He's simply an enemy.

Furthermore, he and his coach came together to cheat us out of 2 possible Superbowl appearances and if a Steeler fan is willing to let that slide because his man crush slash fan boy tendencies are just so strong that he is compelled to join the herds of oblivious sycophants then that just sucks... for whoever that may be. The bulk of this guys so called legacy is based on he and his coaches stealing/filming other team signals along with other things to gain an unfair advantage over other teams. Half the time they knew exactly what was coming and still just barely won some of those games. Then Goodell destroys that tapes. Can you imagine what was on those tapes. I would not be shocked if these scoundrels, belicheck in particular, had found a new way to cheat to this day. Look at the behavior of Mcdaniel, and then they hire this brazen and dishonored cheat right back onto the team. They need his ability to decode signals and transform them into actionable intelligence, probably. Birds of a feather, that includes your hero brady.

They don't need McDaniels to decode signals. Read the article on Ernie Adams. It explains everything. He literally has a photographic memory. He learned the Giants playbook in one night. He is the only person that has a direct link to Bellichicks headset on gamedays. They give him the illegal tapes and he memorizes what is going on...thus why the Steelers heard the Pats calling out the plays in the AFCCG.

Bellichicks success = Adams success......Ernie is just socially awkward so he wants none of the limelight.

feltdizz
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM

and it's not like Brady is willing his team to victory with sensational throws or insane athleticism.

he had help due to a tuck rule...
cheated his way to a few SB...

and is a media darling because he got into FG range a few times and runs up the score on a bunch of awful teams.

Dude is a good QB but he isn't the best ever... especially when the QB before him and the QB during his injured year also put up great stats.

I can't call a QB the best ever when 75% of his passes are 5 yards or less.

Slapstick
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Here hoping the Giants can top the Cheatriots once again...

Perhaps that will end the discussion...

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
if the Patriots* win this Super Bowl Tom Brady will tie Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana with 4 Super Bowl victories and that stat alone will put him in the conversation with the greatest QBs that have ever played the game.

pick6
01-25-2012, 02:19 PM
if the Patriots* win this Super Bowl Tom Brady will tie Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana with 4 Super Bowl victories and that stat alone will put him in the conversation with the greatest QBs that have ever played the game.

And that would be a shame because I see him as a fraud. A fraud with a great and accurate arm, but none the less a fraud.

Shawn
01-26-2012, 09:02 AM

This is utter silliness. I didn't make a comment towards you. I made a comment towards winwin. He stated Brady is a "mirage" and it was all about the O and his supporting cast. If you want to call him arrogant or pompous more power to you. But. it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. He doesn't have to be a great person to be a great QB. I have no judgments about Brady the person. But, I do have judgments about Brady the QB, and he is a top 5 QB to ever play the game. If he wins the SB this season he will jump to 1 in my book. If that doesn't sit well with you, or anyone else...oh well. Many of us get worked up when Ben doesn't get his due from other fans. Many get worked up when Ben the person is judged. These are usually the same people who are first to make comments like these. It's lame.

Shawn
01-26-2012, 09:04 AM

And that would be a shame because I see him as a fraud. A fraud with a great and accurate arm, but none the less a fraud.

:lol:

You are letting your hatred for Brady blind your judgment.

feltdizz
01-26-2012, 09:17 AM

You are letting your hatred for Brady blind your judgment.

The tapes were destroyed for a reason. The guy didn't say Brady sucked or didn't have a great arm... simply called him a fraud because of spygate.

It's linked to his career just like steroids are linked to half of the current baseball greats. Doesn't mean they aren't great players... just leaves room for doubt about how great they truly are due to cheating.

AngryAsian
01-26-2012, 09:52 AM
That's hilarious... A franchise player gets a periodically pro-bowl line built around him so he's protected, then gets schemes game-planned that will exploit his strengths in the pocket, then gets skilled players drafted so that regardless of whether you are a TE, WR, or RB, your QB has myriad of options so that he can amass enough TDs and yardage that regardless of what OC is hired to call plays, your offense always seems to generate top echelon numbers to where your team gets wins and goes to the playoffs practically every season. Ya, sounds like 'mirage' all right. So many of you sound like whiney Browns fans.

I hate the Pats, and will be cheering for the Gmen this Sunday to hand them an embarrassing loss, but some of you who detest him screaming at fans in our stadium while reving up his team mates would be pumped up as hell if Ben did the same in Gillette stadium. It's called leadership folks, something I'm pretty sure is required of his position. I detest our losses to the cheats these past years, but I'm not going to continue to blame the cheating scandal for every loss we've ever suffered at their hands. I can hate a team and still give some respect for an obvious winning formula.

JTP53609
01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
I am glad to read some of the posts...
I never understood why people just make up a reason to say why Tom Brady sucks, In my opinion he is one of the best qb's of all time and if he wins this super bowl he may be the best of all time. I am willing to bet that alot of teams have cheated like the Patriots did, and who knows if may have helped in their early 2000's success, but Tom Brady is just that good too.
Big deal, he spiked a ball at the back of then endzone while facing the stands at Heinz Field, so does Hines Ward at opposing stadiums and evey running back in the NFL. He probably does hate the Steelers, but he hates us because we are the biggest AFC rival in terms of championships during his time.
Lastly, to say he has had weapons his entire career is not true, outside of 2007, look at his first few years as a qb, they have constantly not had a running game and he has had the likes of patten, branch, an old veteran receiver in brown during his 3 championships, and finally in 2007 he got moss, and welker and look at his numbers. He has made a second round pick in gronkowski look to be the greatest T.E. of all time in just 2 seasons and he is a leader....

That being said, gosh, I hate the patriots, but it is ridiculous to say he sucks, we do sound like wimpy fans when we say dumb things like that....

feltdizz
01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I haven't seen anyone say Brady sucks...

most question the cheating and if he is truly "the greatest"

I think anyone who reads "Brady sucks" and literally thinks they mean he is a bum need to get a grip.

pick6
01-26-2012, 04:06 PM

This is utter silliness. I didn't make a comment towards you. I made a comment towards winwin. He stated Brady is a "mirage" and it was all about the O and his supporting cast. If you want to call him arrogant or pompous more power to you. But. it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. He doesn't have to be a great person to be a great QB. I have no judgments about Brady the person. But, I do have judgments about Brady the QB, and he is a top 5 QB to ever play the game. If he wins the SB this season he will jump to 1 in my book. If that doesn't sit well with you, or anyone else...oh well. Many of us get worked up when Ben doesn't get his due from other fans. Many get worked up when Ben the person is judged. These are usually the same people who are first to make comments like these. It's lame.

This is why I love the written word, for it is the thorn in the side of the tragically obtuse. You seem to be overcome with what I call selective reasoning. It's when you dismiss an entire argument based on only part of what your opponent has said. At the same time ignoring or at least failing to address key components of the opposing argument. Some of us lack the ability to listen carefully to the spoken word, while at the same time formulating our own position on what's being said to us. So a person might forget part of what's being said. I can sympathize with these people. I can find no such excuse when it comes to the written word.

Although brady is a great passer, I don't like him and I question the validity of his record as a true champion. I gave a few reasons why. I even split my ideas into 2 paragraphs so that people like you could more easily understand. Also you say that part of what I say about his arrogance is irrelevant to the discussion yet you and I were not have a discussion until you addressed me directly. I was making a statement and I did not attach anyone's post for a reason, as it was not directed a any specific post but at all brady fan boys and apologist. So my statements are relevant as they reflect my position on him.

We seem to agree that he can throw the ball. You don't seem to care that he hates Steelers as it has no bearing on his QB abilities. Ok, you're drawing a line,I get where you are coming from on that note. But, amazingly you don't address the heart of my argument which was the bulk and conclusion of my post, that being that Brady benefited from spygate. This is why he is not the best to me. Am I saying that he is a poor qb, no. Am I saying that he knew what a defense was going to from other than natural and legal means, absolutely. He is a cheat and his coach is a cheat. So although he can wing it and can't say that he is the best when many of his accomplishments are clearly tainted. This is clear logic. Your judgment has been compromised. Only a true fan boy or media pundit would not understand the simple logic that I have expressed. Now if you you want to rebut that's great, I can always learn something, but please address what I have said.

As for the 19-1 season, like I said he is good and I dont know that the cheating had completely stopped but I do know that that season was as much about Randy Moss as it was about your hero. Just look at that horrible second pick that brady threw against the ravens. I think he had flashbacks to the Moss season when he could throw it up like that and Moss would catch it for a TD almost everytime. If Moss was there that horrible pass and decision would have been an epic TD and you would have watched Brady go insane and get all pumped and all the fan boys and pundits would have had to take a shower.

By the way nice sig. Here's to getting out of the box even when it comes to sports.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM

I think anyone who reads "Brady sucks" and literally thinks they mean he is a bum need to get a grip.

TOM BRADY SUCKS!!! :lol:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090616010961/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/7/71/Brady3.jpg/250px-Brady3.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6dAVrG61AJkCpHLMwwh8sNgA7rsIXs 2ZrJM7vgov6yHbnPfSSZTaPQpqqhttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ97DkWlHuqNC4vQ3BEy1tWkKAk8Z4dL UImG3nCqrJerI4HK8UpMnO9IzM
http://www.hatersports.com/site/images/BradyPees.jpg
http://sportsofboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/052211_tombeingridiculous.jpg

pick6
01-26-2012, 10:48 PM

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090616010961/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/7/71/Brady3.jpg/250px-Brady3.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6dAVrG61AJkCpHLMwwh8sNgA7rsIXs 2ZrJM7vgov6yHbnPfSSZTaPQpqqhttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ97DkWlHuqNC4vQ3BEy1tWkKAk8Z4dL UImG3nCqrJerI4HK8UpMnO9IzM
http://sportsofboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/052211_tombeingridiculous.jpg

Brevity is Genius. And judging from the length of my post I am not. HaHa. You always manage to say it all without effort. Good post. Just be ready for the equivocators.

Shawn
01-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Pick6, while I wasn't trying to get your goat...merely make a point. I know when someone begins using phrases like "tragically obtuse" on a message board they are insecure. Listen, it's just a football message community. It's not scholarly analysis of human physiology and psychology. You are allowed to have your opinion, I just disagree with it.

Ghost
01-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Pick6, while I wasn't trying to get your goat...merely make a point. I know when someone begins using phrases like "tragically obtuse" on a message board they are insecure. Listen, it's just a football message community. It's not scholarly analysis of human physiology and psychology. You are allowed to have your opinion, I just disagree with it.

Shawn - never again will I try to conciliate you using fancy words and phases. I am quite secure. I mean, I think I am. Right, you think I'm secure, don't you? Please...

feltdizz
01-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Is that the real photo of Tom Brady's Pro Day? No wonder he lasted until the 6th round. Yeah.. he's been cheating!

Slapstick
01-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I think that Tom Brady is a great QB.

I also think he is an arrogant, pompous @$$ who left his pregnant girlfriend to shack up with (and eventually marry) a more famous model.

I also question how much Brady benefitted from spygate. While many of the football talking heads agree that "it couldn't have helped much", I submit that the NFL, especially today, is a game of inches. If the tapes from spygate benefitted the the Patriots' teams of the early 2000s with only a few inches that were taken away from the other team through methods explicitly against the rules of the NFL, that is enough to cast a shadow upon those Super Bowl victories. At least in my opinion.

All of the Patriots' Super Bowl victories were by three points. There is no doubt that Brady's legacy also benefits greatly from the presence of Adam Vinatieri, arguably the greatest clutch kicker in the history of the NFL, on those teams. Thanks in no small part to Vinatieri, Brady is now in the discussion of "Greatest NFL QB of All-Time", while a guy like Jim Kelly, who led his team to four consecutive Super Bowls (possibly the most difficult feat ever accomplished by a single team) was denied his best opportunity for a ring by Scott Norwood.

So, I have mixed emotions about Brady and his "greatness"...

feltdizz
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
I think that Tom Brady is a great QB.

I also think he is an arrogant, pompous @$$ who left his pregnant girlfriend to shack up with (and eventually marry) a more famous model.

I also question how much Brady benefitted from spygate. While many of the football talking heads agree that "it couldn't have helped much", I submit that the NFL, especially today, is a game of inches. If the tapes from spygate benefitted the the Patriots' teams of the early 2000s with only a few inches that were taken away from the other team through methods explicitly against the rules of the NFL, that is enough to cast a shadow upon those Super Bowl victories. At least in my opinion.

All of the Patriots' Super Bowl victories were by three points. There is no doubt that Brady's legacy also benefits greatly from the presence of Adam Vinatieri, arguably the greatest clutch kicker in the history of the NFL, on those teams. Thanks in no small part to Vinatieri, Brady is now in the discussion of "Greatest NFL QB of All-Time", while a guy like Jim Kelly, who led his team to four consecutive Super Bowls (possibly the most difficult feat ever accomplished by a single team) was denied his best opportunity for a ring by Scott Norwood.

So, I have mixed emotions about Brady and his "greatness"...

Brady is best known for getting into FG territory... He was great at at but when you look at his "clutch play" it's pretty ehhhh as far as best QB ever IMO.

I still think Ben's last drive in the SB is head and shoulders above any drive Brady had in the SB. The Giants erased Brady's most impressive SB drive IMO...

pick6
01-27-2012, 10:40 AM

Vitriol, I should have assumed as much. So nothing about spygate and its possible correlation with bradys success/legacy. Well enough. We're both Steeler fans and enough said on this issue between us. We disagree as you say and I suppose that's fine being that you're right 99.9% of the time.

Although I can't top Ghost's colorful interpretation of your posts inherent inconsistencies, I will try. Let me understand, this board is not about psychology, yet you perform a psychoanalysis of me be interpreting my usage of the phrase "tragically obtuse" to indicate my own insecurities. Cmon man, you can't blatantly contradict yourself like that in the span of a few sentences.

I can't help the way I write. My apologies if it insults your sensibilities. And then you seem to think the word "obtuse" is some sort of high brow speech. This from a guy who quotes an obscure French politicist by the name of Alexis Charles Henri Clerel de Tocqueville, in his sig on a Steelers board. According to you, I guess we're both a little insecure. I think you're right, at least about me (but for different reasons).

Still awesome sig bro.

Shawn
01-27-2012, 11:01 AM

Vitriol, I should have assumed as much. So nothing about spygate and its possible correlation with bradys success/legacy. Well enough. We're both Steeler fans and enough said on this issue between us. We disagree as you say and I suppose that's fine being that you're right 99.9% of the time.

Although I can't top Ghost's colorful interpretation of your posts inherent inconsistencies, I will try. Let me understand, this board is not about psychology, yet you perform a psychoanalysis of me be interpreting my usage of the phrase "tragically obtuse" to indicate my own insecurities. Cmon man, you can't blatantly contradict yourself like that in the span of a few sentences.

I can't help the way I write. My apologies if it insults your sensibilities. And then you seem to think the word "obtuse" is some sort of high brow speech. This from a guy who quotes an obscure French politicist by the name of Alexis Charles Henri Clerel de Tocqueville, in his sig on a Steelers board. According to you, I guess we're both a little insecure. I think you're right, at least about me (but for different reasons).

Still awesome sig bro.

Vitriol. :lol:

As for both of us being insecure...well I am a self admitted insecure egomaniac with a king baby complex. Any of that sound familiar? We should start our own support group. :mrgreen:

Shawn
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM

Shawn - never again will I try to conciliate you using fancy words and phases. I am quite secure. I mean, I think I am. Right, you think I'm secure, don't you? Please...

pick6
01-27-2012, 11:21 AM

Still awesome sig bro.

Vitriol. :lol:

As for both of us being insecure...well I am a self admitted insecure egomaniac with a king baby complex. Any of that sound familiar? We should start our own support group. :mrgreen:

Dude, as a child, I was forced at spinach and beef liver point, to eat the pages of our thesaurus. Vitriol... that cracked you up. Support group, yeah I could see myself in the circle spilling my guts, all the while really trying to line up the hot chick (there's always a hot chick, even if she's not), while everybody is looking like can somebody translate what this ahole just said.

Shawn
01-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Good stuff pick6.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Is that the real photo of Tom Brady's Pro Day? No wonder he lasted until the 6th round. Yeah.. he's been cheating!

Yup...that is indeed him at the Combine. Here's the reverse shot (in case you are interested...NTTAWWT) :wink:

http://towleroad.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/26/tombrady4_4.jpg

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Fun-loving tight end Gronkowski all business on field for Patriots

By Associated Press
Monday, January 30, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-01-29/0130GronkCarousAP-b.jpg

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. ó The sign outside the restaurant a mile up the road from where Rob Gronkowski scores touchdowns has a flashing suggestion for motorists: "HONK FOR GRONK!"

Plenty of car horns will be blaring if the fun-loving marquee tight end returns next Monday as a Super Bowl champion.

If his season so far is any indication, the Woodland Hills graduate will have a major role when the New England Patriots face the New York Giants next Sunday in the NFL championship game.

One sign of his importance? Much of the Super Bowl talk to date has focused on Gronkowski's balky left ankle.

"He's had a lot of production," coach Bill Belichick said. "He's had a lot of touchdowns. He's had a lot of good blocks. I don't know what a 'game changer' is, but he's definitely made some plays."

A possible game changer is a tight end who is so good after the catch that he has 21 receptions of more than 20 yards among his total of 90. Or a player who scored three touchdowns in a seven-point win over Indianapolis. Or a 265-pound steamroller who mows down defenders on the way to the end zone. Or even a battering blocker who springs teammates for big gains.

Gronkowski has done all that. And that makes him a potential game-breaker.

"No question," wide receiver Matthew Slater said. "He's kind of a once-in-a-lifetime talent with the skill set that he has. So we love getting him the ball in his hands, and he loves having the ball in his hands, and he does special things when he has the ball in his hands."

Hands like a vise.

On the first of his three touchdowns in a 45-10 divisional playoff win over the Denver Broncos, Gronkowski dove in the left side of the end zone and got his right hand on Tom Brady's 10-yard pass. The ball popped up and, acrobatically, he grabbed it with both hands and clutched it as he fell.

"That catch," Brady said, "was a phenomenal catch, but he's been making those all year. So, really, it doesn't surprise us as much because he's able to make those type of plays in practice and training camp, so you get used to it after a while."

After the game, Gronkowski was asked if he enjoys playing against teams with talkative defenders like Baltimore, the next opponent.

"I like playing against anyone," he said.

Gronkowski's teammates are confident he'll play in the Super Bowl after suffering what his father said was a high left ankle sprain in the third quarter of a 23-20 win over the Ravens in the AFC championship game.

He skipped practice on Thursday and Friday, but Slater said: "There's not too many guys tougher than him out there. So I would imagine he's going to do everything he can to be out there."

The 2010 second-round draft pick from Arizona set an NFL single-season record for tight ends with 17 touchdown catches this season. His 90 receptions were fifth in the NFL and his 1,327 yards receiving were sixth.

New York's cornerbacks are all at least six inches shorter than the 6-foot-6 Gronkowski, and the Patriots have another dangerous tight end in Aaron Hernandez.

So what's the plan for stopping Gronkowski?

"Get a ladder, probably," Giants coach Tom Coughlin joked. "This is a very gifted tight end and there's two of them, as you know. He's had an outstanding career and rewritten some of the record books along the way and has done a very good job of making the big-play catch as well. He's become someone that Brady looks to go to in certain areas of the field as well, certainly in the red zone."

On the field, Gronkowski is all business, except when he spikes the ball after scoring. He understands the offense, runs precise routes and makes complex adjustments in a split-second.

Off the field, he's a happy-go-lucky 22-year-old whom punter Zoltan Mesko calls "hilarious" and linebacker Rob Ninkovich describes as "a free spirit" who gets along with everyone.

"I guess he says it best," Ninkovich said. "I think he refers to himself as a beast all the time. 'I'm a beast.' So I think that when he gets on the field he obviously puts himself in a different mindset and does his beasting the best on the field. Everybody says that they're different on the field and you can see that with a lot of guys."

Sometimes, Gronkowski's carefree off-field persona can lead to trouble.

During the Patriots' bye week after their sixth game, adult film performer BiBi Jones posted two pictures of her with Gronkowski on her Twitter account. She was wearing his Patriots jersey in both. In one, he was shirtless.

He met with team owner Robert Kraft and apologized publicly, saying being in the pros is a learning process and "I didn't intend anything to hurt the reputation of anyone on the New England Patriots."

Since then, he's stuck with the team-first approach that Belichick emphasizes, often answering questions about his success by crediting teammates.

"It's unbelievable," Gronkowski said after the win over the Ravens put the Patriots in their fifth Super Bowl in 11 years. "It's my second year in the league, playing with a great team, and you have to enjoy the moment. It doesn't even feel right, especially playing with the veterans here. I watched them go to the Super Bowl as I was growing up and now I'm part of it? It is an unreal moment and you can't take it for granted."

He and his fans are enjoying the journey so much that he's become a folk hero, a cultural icon for football-mad Patriots rooters and a part of their lexicon ó gronking means spiking.

There's been "A Very Gronkowski Christmas Raffle" in which the winner received two tickets to the Christmas Eve game with Miami and met Gronkowski afterward. Then the Patriots asked fans to "Give Us Your Best Gronk," a fun-filled spiking event just outside Gillette Stadium with the winner getting two tickets to the AFC championship game.

In the locker room after beating Baltimore, Gronkowski was asked by a reporter from ESPN Deportes if he would celebrate the victory.

"Si," he said, "Yo soy fiesta."

Gronkowski had tried to answer in his non-native language and his comment translated to "I am party."

No problem. For just $26.99 you can order a T-shirt with the words "Yo Soy Fiesta!" from his website with the 'o' in 'Yo' a caricature of Gronkowski's face topped by a sombrero.

And while you're there, you can click on "The Fabulous Life of Rob Gronkowski."

Recently, a sporting goods company posted a video showing an employee running from its store clutching T-shirts and running to a residence billed as Gronkowski's home. When he goes inside, Gronkowski talks with him then spikes the remote control he was holding. In the closing seconds, he says, "Get the Gronk shirt and start gronking."

Then he spikes one of the shirts ó hard.

"He's a great teammate," Slater said. "He's a light-hearted kid and he loves the game of football. He's just a joy to play with."

But when it's time to play, Gronkowski doesn't fool around.

"He turns that switch on," Slater said. "You guys see what he does out there. So you can't argue with what you see."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1kubnfNY5 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_779035.html#ixzz1kubnfNY5)

Discipline of Steel
01-30-2012, 08:21 AM
His ankle got rolled up pretty bad. Hopefully he will not be ready for the Super Bowl. Glad to see that look on Harscums face but I would have rather the Ravens had won. They have already started the talk about Brady being the best QB in the history of existence. GO ELI !!!!!!

I thought this was going to be a thread about Gron being the best tight end in the history of existance. Yes he had a good year when rules were bent to facilitate that. Show me a body of work over a decade. As far as Brady, i thought Aaron Rodgers was the best QB in the history of existance? i guess we have two best QBs in the history of existance this year.

Sword
01-30-2012, 09:51 AM

Sword

I love the part where Art Modell offers $10,000 to anyone who can tell him what Ernie Adams does.

I read the whole article...
What did i get out of it:
They hired Ernie Adams who was incredible at retaining information.
All teams can go hire the same.
He works probably harder than most on preparing for a game.

Getting a Ball from point A to point B is not cheating
it's talent, execution, readiness, etc....

when playing the Steelers like I have said before, I can tell you what we are going to do on a play 90% of the time....the Steelers are too predictable...

Sword

feltdizz
01-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Sword

I read the whole article...
What did i get out of it:
They hired Ernie Adams who was incredible at retaining information.
All teams can go hire the same.
He works probably harder than most on preparing for a game.

Getting a Ball from point A to point B is not cheating
it's talent, execution, readiness, etc....

when playing the Steelers like I have said before, I can tell you what we are going to do on a play 90% of the time....the Steelers are too predictable...

Sword

Tapes were destroyed and Billicheat was fined 500K for not cheating... :roll:

feltdizz
01-30-2012, 09:57 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about Gron being the best tight end in the history of existance. Yes he had a good year when rules were bent to facilitate that. Show me a body of work over a decade. As far as Brady, i thought Aaron Rodgers was the best QB in the history of existance? i guess we have two best QBs in the history of existance this year.

I hear what you are saying but it's hard to put in a decade in work in one year....

The media's job is to hype up the guys playing the game right now.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Updated: February 1, 2012

Rob Gronkowski out of walking boot

By Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski enjoys spiking the football with force after scoring a touchdown. He hopes there is an opportunity to do so in Super Bowl XLVI, but for now, he was happy to spike the large walking boot he had been wearing for his left high ankle sprain.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0131/nfl_a_gronkr_200.jpg

"No more boot," Gronkowski said during Tuesday's media day session at Lucas Oil Stadium. "That thing is done with."

Gronkowski called it a positive step toward playing Sunday night against the New York Giants, later hinting that would be the case.

"It's the Super Bowl this week, the biggest game. It's not a regular-season game," he said. "You have to treat it a lot differently."

Gronkowski hasn't practiced since sustaining the high ankle sprain in the AFC Championship Game on Jan. 22. His injury has been the No. 1 storyline at Super Bowl XLVI, so it was fitting that his media day interview was held at podium No. 1.

As Gronkowski walked to the podium in his blue game jersey, wearing a backwards white cap on his head, photographers snapped pictures at a rapid-fire pace, some pointing their lenses down at his ankle. A casual glance didn't detect much of a limp from him. Quarterback Tom Brady joked that Gronkowski had an opportunity for some mass messaging.

"I told him to write 'Hi Mom' on his sock, because there will be a lot of pictures today," Brady said, before focusing on how Gronkowski -- who started all 16 games and seldom comes off the field -- is an integral part of the team's attack. "No one is as tough as him. He makes our offense go and hopefully we have him out there."

Gronkowski, who was selected to the Pro Bowl after finishing with 90 receptions for 1,327 yards and a tight-end record 17 touchdowns in the regular season, repeated multiple times that he was adopting a short-term focus with the injury. He didn't want to forecast how it would feel by Sunday night.

"I don't know yet, we're going day to day," he said. "We're making new steps every day and feeling better every single day. You just want to keep going in the right direction. I want to be out there with the team, obviously."

The 22-year-old Gronkowski was upbeat throughout Tuesday's hour-long media session, joking at multiple points, and one time speaking in Spanish. Later, when asked about his father Gordy revealing to a local television station in Western New York that the injury was a high ankle sprain, he was quick to respond.

"If you ever need some information, just call him up. I think he'll give it all out," Gronkowski said.

When a reporter asked how he'd describe the pain of a high ankle sprain, Gronkowski volunteered to give one to the media member so they could experience it firsthand. That led to laughter before he turned more serious.

"It's just like any other injury -- just nagging, painful a little bit," he said. "... There is a difference between hurt, sore and banged up. In the NFL you definitely have to play hurt."

Rob Gronkowski said Tuesday the walking boot was off his left foot for good.
Gronkowski wasn't sure whether he would practice this week. When asked if he thought he could be effective against the Giants without having practice, Gronkowski said he trusted the team to do whatever was best.

"That's why I'm with the training staff," Gronkowski said. "I trust in the organization here. I trust in the coaches. I trust in all the trainers to get me ready for whatever I have to do. When Sunday comes along, they'll have me at my best, where I need to be."

Gronkowski has dominated headlines over the last three days at Super Bowl XLVI, in part because of his importance to the Patriots' offense. He started all 16 games. Considering the Patriots don't have a backup for Gronkowski on the roster and that they run more than 80 percent of their snaps with two or more tight ends on the field, it's no wonder his status is being monitored so closely. Receivers Chad Ochocinco, Julian Edelman and Tiquan Underwood are candidates for more playing time if Gronkowski is limited.

"We're moving forward with the thought that we'll be ready for anything," offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien said. "We have a lot of good, instinctive players that will be ready for any role we ask them to do, right up to game time, during the game. They're adjustable guys, flexible guys, so we feel really good about where we're at right now."

So does Gronkowski, especially since shedding the walking boot.

"When you are hurt, you want to improve every day. You are just trying to get stronger every day," he said. "I listen to the training staff and what they have to say, trying to heal up, get stronger and making sure I am more fluid out there and can be on it. Basically [it's] going in the right direction."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... ng-day-day (http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7523101/super-bowl-2012-new-england-patriots-rob-gronkowski-sans-boot-taking-day-day)