PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Art Rooney II wants old blue-collar O back

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Updated: January 22, 2012

Sources: Steelers prez wants old O

ESPN.com news services

While Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians announced his retirement Friday, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen the Steelers chose not to retain Arians, against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The sources said the move was made in order to shift the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.

Arians, 59, has been the only offensive coordinator in coach Mike Tomlin's five seasons with the Steelers. During his time as coordinator, he turned the Steelers from a run-first team to a pass-heavy one to better suit Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh ranked in the top half of the NFL in offense over the past three seasons but finished a disappointing 12th this past season.

"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching," Tomlin said in a statement. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

The Steelers have a history of promoting from within at offensive coordinator. Arians joined the Steelers in 2004 as the wide receivers coach and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2007.

Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74899 ... ources-say (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7489906/pittsburgh-steelers-chose-not-keep-bruce-arians-bucking-ben-roethlisberger-sources-say)

DukieBoy
01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
The whole team needs to get tougher. Not stupid-tougher like Kemo. But tougher in the trenches in particular. It's gonna take some good draft choices. Hope the Steelers concentrate on improving the O-line and D-line through the draft.

SteelBucks
01-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Music to my ears!!!

ikestops85
01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Music to my ears!!!

Not mine. I don't think you can survive in today's NFL with a conservative blue collar offense. You might get away with it for awhile but not year after year. I want us to be more dynamic and take advantage of our weapons. Not blue collar which usually means one drive by the opponent at the end of the game can beat you. It also means if you are down near the end of the game you have little chance of coming back.

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Music to my ears!!!

Not mine. I don't think you can survive in today's NFL with a conservative blue collar offense. You might get away with it for awhile but not year after year. I want us to be more dynamic and take advantage of our weapons. Not blue collar which usually means one drive by the opponent at the end of the game can beat you. It also means if you are down near the end of the game you have little chance of coming back.

As long as your D is good you can get away with it.

StarSpangledSteeler
01-22-2012, 05:24 PM
It's important to note that Art said, "Blue collar IDENTITY." I don't think he means simply calling more run plays. I think he means establishing a strong interior OL with guys who can move the L.O.S. forward (not named Legursky or Foster). I think he means bringing in a true FB who can blow open holes when you need it (so you don't get stuffed three straight times on first and goal from the one against the Ravens). I think he means making opposing defenses respect the run so that you CAN pass the ball effectively.

As far as Ben goes, I'm glad he's upset. He needs to be put in his place somewhat. His synergy with Arians did not produce great results. It failed. And there are consequences for failing. You don't get the blank check anymore. Ben needs to know, "You WILL throw the ball away or you'll sit out a few plays. You WILL throw to the check down or bring in the back up to do it." Once Ben starts getting better results with new O.C. he'll forget all about the Arians sadness.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
It's important to note that Art said, "Blue collar IDENTITY." I don't think he means simply calling more run plays. I think he means establishing a strong interior OL with guys who can move the L.O.S. forward (not named Legursky or Foster). I think he means bringing in a true FB who can blow open holes when you need it (so you don't get stuffed three straight times on first and goal from the one against the Ravens). I think he means making opposing defenses respect the run so that you CAN pass the ball effectively.

As far as Ben goes, I'm glad he's upset. He needs to be put in his place somewhat. His synergy with Arians did not produce great results. It failed. And there are consequences for failing. You don't get the blank check anymore. Ben needs to know, "You WILL throw the ball away or you'll sit out a few plays. You WILL throw to the check down or bring in the back up to do it." Once Ben starts getting better results with new O.C. he'll forget all about the Arians sadness.
Good post.

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 05:36 PM

I hope so... Ben is a little stubborn.

Dee Dub
01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
You are welcome Mr. Rooney. I am glad I could be of service. Let me know if you need to know where to send my check.

And I am here to do exactly that. I think it is time (in the off-season of course), to go back to what is the true Steeler identity. I think it would be best if the Steelers were more of a power running team. I am not advocating a run more than pass mentality. But I do think it has to be at least a lot closer to 50-50 than it is now. It will help the entire offense...and it will also help the defense. We are not the Packers, Saints, or the Patriots. We are the Steelers.

Our young core of receivers would be even more dangerous if teams had respect the run. Right now they dont. It would appear as if the Steelers are seeing a lot more deep cover two shells lately.

If we continue on this trend, throwing the ball 34.07 times a game, Ben isnt going to last too much longer.

And I will add, I do not think Rashard Mendenhall is the back the Steelers need to make this happen.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19751 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19751)

SteelBucks
01-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Music to my ears!!!

I'm looking for a balanced attack. Something that this offense has lacked under Arians.

Slapstick
01-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Jim Harbaugh brought that mentality to the 49ers...

His douche brother maintained that mentality with the hated Ravens...

Both of those teams are playing in championship games today...what is Art supposed to think?

Steelgal
01-22-2012, 07:17 PM

+1

Oviedo
01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Music to my ears!!!

Won't win a championship with three yards and a cloud of dust.

Oviedo
01-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Music to my ears!!!

As long as your D is good you can get away with it.

Do you think our D is good enough to stop a high powered passing offense?

winwithd
who says you can't have old-school blue collar approach on offense but also have big strike capability. The big play wide open attack doesn't do so much good in the Red Zone does it. Maybe now we can improve in the Red Zone.

papillon
All the high flying offenses are at home and the patriots should be joining them, but their kicker can't make a 32 yard field goal. I'll take an offense like the Ravens with Ben at the helm instead of Flacco all day, every day.

Pappy

MaxAMillion
01-22-2012, 07:27 PM

ESPN.com news services

While Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians announced his retirement Friday, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen the Steelers chose not to retain Arians, against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The sources said the move was made in order to shift the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.

Arians, 59, has been the only offensive coordinator in coach Mike Tomlin's five seasons with the Steelers. During his time as coordinator, he turned the Steelers from a run-first team to a pass-heavy one to better suit Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh ranked in the top half of the NFL in offense over the past three seasons but finished a disappointing 12th this past season.

"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching," Tomlin said in a statement. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

The Steelers have a history of promoting from within at offensive coordinator. Arians joined the Steelers in 2004 as the wide receivers coach and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2007.

Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74899 ... ources-say (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7489906/pittsburgh-steelers-chose-not-keep-bruce-arians-bucking-ben-roethlisberger-sources-say)

Why doesn't Baby Rooney just coach the team. He decides who is on staff and what offense is run? Hell, just have him call the plays. Tomlin has done enough to get a job elsewhere. He should just quit rather than be told everything to do.

SteelBucks
01-22-2012, 07:27 PM
All the high flying offenses are at home and the patriots should be joining them, but their kicker can't make a 32 yard field goal. I'll take an offense like the Ravens with Ben at the helm instead of Flacco all day, every day.

Pappy
:Agree

grotonsteel
01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
ARII should be more worried about Steel Curtain rather than offense.

Tom Brady and high-octane offense has 23 points. Marsha throws 2 INT and still Cheatroits D (ranked 31st i guess) hold Ravens to 20 points.

Now imagine if Ben had those same stats as Marsha, Steelers fans would have been on Ben and BA.

Steelgal
01-22-2012, 07:41 PM

ESPN.com news services

Why doesn't Baby Rooney just coach the team. He decides who is on staff and what offense is run? Hell, just have him call the plays. Tomlin has done enough to get a job elsewhere. He should just quit rather than be told everything to do.

I have no problem with him giving his input. He is the owner and he's far from being the obnoxious, power-monger that Jerry Jones is. Besides, unless you were there, no one really knows what happened or who wanted Arians gone. I've heard it both ways.

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Pappy
+1

I think we could have beat the Pats.

NJ-STEELER
01-22-2012, 09:04 PM
sounds like OL in the 1st round to me

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM

yep.. OK by me. Do you think this means more "game manager" Ben?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
The Steelers don't like one player being the star. Let's just hope we don't get back to where we dominate the bad teams that can't stop the run & then struggle vs. the playoff teams because they can.
Time to fully commit one way or the other. You want to run then fix the OL. Last time we were blue collar we had Faneca & Hartings.

phillyesq
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
You are welcome Mr. Rooney. I am glad I could be of service. Let me know if you need to know where to send my check.

[quote="Dee Dub":pmhhl2lm] And I am here to do exactly that. I think it is time (in the off-season of course), to go back to what is the true Steeler identity. I think it would be best if the Steelers were more of a power running team. I am not advocating a run more than pass mentality. But I do think it has to be at least a lot closer to 50-50 than it is now. It will help the entire offense...and it will also help the defense. We are not the Packers, Saints, or the Patriots. We are the Steelers.

Our young core of receivers would be even more dangerous if teams had respect the run. Right now they dont. It would appear as if the Steelers are seeing a lot more deep cover two shells lately.

If we continue on this trend, throwing the ball 34.07 times a game, Ben isnt going to last too much longer.

And I will add, I do not think Rashard Mendenhall is the back the Steelers need to make this happen.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19751 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19751)[/quote:pmhhl2lm]

Dub, I agree with you 100%. You are not advocating for, and I do not want to see, three yards and a cloud of dust. But Ben and the passing game could be lethal if teams had to respect the run and the pass.

Just imagine the Steelers with an offensive line like the 49ers or Texans, with Ben still having the young WRs. If the Steelers ran a balanaced offense with an effective running game, it could really open up the passing game.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM

[quote="Dee Dub":2rs73tob] And I am here to do exactly that. I think it is time (in the off-season of course), to go back to what is the true Steeler identity. I think it would be best if the Steelers were more of a power running team. I am not advocating a run more than pass mentality. But I do think it has to be at least a lot closer to 50-50 than it is now. It will help the entire offense...and it will also help the defense. We are not the Packers, Saints, or the Patriots. We are the Steelers.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19751 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19751)

Dub, I agree with you 100%. You are not advocating for, and I do not want to see, three yards and a cloud of dust. But Ben and the passing game could be lethal if teams had to respect the run and the pass.

Just imagine the Steelers with an offensive line like the 49ers or Texans, with Ben still having the young WRs. If the Steelers ran a balanaced offense with an effective running game, it could really open up the passing game.[/quote:2rs73tob]

This is what we had in 2004 and 05 but fans complained we weren't throwing enough.

steelz09
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Thank goodness for Rooney stepping in. I think this is VERY significant and we aren't discussing it that much. Tomlin made the comment about how he thought all the coordinators would come back. However, a couple weeks later, Rooney has a say in the removal of Arians.

What's that say about Tomlin and the Rooney relationship?

Sugar
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
I can understand what Rooney wants. It's the identity of the Steelers that he has identified with his whole life. He's the owner, so he can set the tone in that regard. Perhaps he longs for "the good old days." Who knows?

Sugar
01-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Thank goodness for Rooney stepping in. I think this is VERY significant and we aren't discussing it that much. Tomlin made the comment about how he thought all the coordinators would come back. However, a couple weeks later, Rooney has a say in the removal of Arians.

I wonder what the reaction would be if Tomlin suddenly quit citing lack of confidence in the owndership? :stirpot

SteelBucks
01-23-2012, 11:55 AM

I wonder what the reaction would be if Tomlin suddenly quit citing lack of confidence in the owndership? :stirpot

My reaction? Welcome back Coach Cowher. :wink:

phillyesq
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Dale Lolley's take:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2012/01/and-then-there-were-two.html#links

He essentially advocates for a balanced offense that utilizes the strength of the Steelers 3 young WRs and mixes in Mendenhall and Redman with a FB.

steelz09
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Dale Lolley's take:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2012/01/and-then-there-were-two.html#links

He essentially advocates for a balanced offense that utilizes the strength of the Steelers 3 young WRs and mixes in Mendenhall and Redman with a FB.

Wow... imagine that :)

Mike Martz?

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Dale Lolley's take:

I read one of the comments at the bottom. The Giants threw the ball over 60 times last game? :shock:

grotonsteel
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Dale Lolley's take:

I read one of the comments at the bottom. The Giants threw the ball over 60 times last game? :shock:

Yup. Eli Manning was sacked 6-7 times. And his YPA was 5.0 i guess.

Kyle Williams of 49ers was the MVP for fumbling the punts twice. One was a game winner. If Giants win the SB they should make sure Kyle Williams get a ring too.

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Madden: Arians' firing makes little sense

By Mark Madden Times Sports Columnist | Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012

Is Art Rooney II qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright?

That doesn’t matter. The birthright does.

That truth was held to be self-evident this past week as the Steelers president, after doing a round of media self-promotion, decided to use his thunderbolts to smite Bruce Arians, relieving the offensive coordinator of his duties.

The Steelers say Arians retired. That’s a lie. The Steelers decided to not renew his contract.

Head coach Mike Tomlin wanted Arians back, having reportedly told him that since the playoff loss at Denver. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is an Arians supporter and friend, having saved his job two years ago, and is said to be miffed that Arians got dismissed. Can’t wait to hear what Roethlisberger has to say at the Pro Bowl (where Arians and his wife will be Ben’s guest).

So, who’s left? General Manager Kevin Colbert? Colbert wouldn’t overrule Tomlin in this situation.

It looks like Rooney, after saying it was “Mike’s decision,” dropped the guillotine.
Why?

The Steelers’ red-zone efficiency was dismal at Denver, leaving lots of points on the table in the first quarter. But the Steelers’ defense was pathetic all day, adjusting not one bit as Tim Tebow carved them to ribbons. Arians is the scapegoat. Defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau is Teflon.

Looking at the regular season, the Steelers were 12th in the NFL in yards gained, just 21st in points. Not a good contrast. But the Steelers’ offense was doubtless hurt by a defense that collected just 15 takeaways, fewest in the league. The offense didn’t get many short fields, or easy points.

Receivers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown each caught over 1,000 yards worth of passes. Roethlisberger threw for over 4,000. The Steelers sent four offensive players to Pro Bowl. That hadn’t happened since 2004.

You can’t knock the running game, either: It averaged 4.4 yards per carry, the best mark since 2001.

Looking at Arians’ five-year tenure, his offense helped the Steelers get to two Super Bowls, winning one. His successor will not have done that, or do that. Guaranteed.

Arians hasn’t always had the best players to work with, particularly on the line. When it comes to excellence, the Steelers spend on defense first. You can’t cook gourmet meals when half your ingredients are from 7-11. All things considered, Arians did fine. Overachieved, even.

So why was Arians fired? For a few debatable play calls? Why not fire Tomlin for consistently poor clock management? Or LeBeau for the debacle at Denver?

Or why not leave pretty good alone? An early playoff exit aside, 12-4 is an excellent season.

This is bizarre. This seems like a decision made by a talk-show caller. Knee-jerk. Hasty. Against the grain.

In 2010, Rooney said that he wanted the Steelers to run more. This season, they ran on 43 percent of their offensive snaps. Is that enough? Arians is the man who minimized Steelers’ icon Hines Ward. Perhaps that didn’t sit well with upper management. Word is the Steelers may bring back Aaron Smith despite injuries that sidelined him for most of the last three seasons. Tradition counts.

Maybe it counts too much.

Maybe Rooney wants to pay Roethlisberger $102 million to hand off more.

Maybe Rooney wants to pound the ball on the ground, just like granddaddy’s team.

According to ESPN.com, sources say Arians was canned with an eye toward shifting “the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.”

Anybody got Jerome Bettis’ number?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... mode=print (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/madden-arians-firing-makes-little-sense/article_db288763-f407-5f4a-88a5-f669a8a9d08b.html?mode=print)

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
In 2010, Rooney said that he wanted the Steelers to run more. This season, they ran on 43 percent of their offensive snaps. Is that enough? Arians is the man who minimized Steelers’ icon Hines Ward. Perhaps that didn’t sit well with upper management. Word is the Steelers may bring back Aaron Smith despite injuries that sidelined him for most of the last three seasons. Tradition counts.

:wft If we bring back Aaron Smith.... :evil:

phillyesq
01-23-2012, 03:26 PM

I'd be surprised to see that, especially after seeing recently that he lost something close to 20 pounds. If he wanted to compete for a Travis Kirshke type role (10-15 snaps per game, max) I don't see the harm in that, but after watching him last season, it appears, unfortunately, that he has nothing left.

BigRob
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM

Is Art Rooney II qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright?

That truth was held to be self-evident this past week as the Steelers president, after doing a round of media self-promotion, decided to use his thunderbolts to smite Bruce Arians, relieving the offensive coordinator of his duties.

The Steelers say Arians retired. That’s a lie. The Steelers decided to not renew his contract.

Head coach Mike Tomlin wanted Arians back, having reportedly told him that since the playoff loss at Denver. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is an Arians supporter and friend, having saved his job two years ago, and is said to be miffed that Arians got dismissed. Can’t wait to hear what Roethlisberger has to say at the Pro Bowl (where Arians and his wife will be Ben’s guest).

So, who’s left? General Manager Kevin Colbert? Colbert wouldn’t overrule Tomlin in this situation.

It looks like Rooney, after saying it was “Mike’s decision,” dropped the guillotine.
Why?

The Steelers’ red-zone efficiency was dismal at Denver, leaving lots of points on the table in the first quarter. But the Steelers’ defense was pathetic all day, adjusting not one bit as Tim Tebow carved them to ribbons. Arians is the scapegoat. Defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau is Teflon.

Looking at the regular season, the Steelers were 12th in the NFL in yards gained, just 21st in points. Not a good contrast. But the Steelers’ offense was doubtless hurt by a defense that collected just 15 takeaways, fewest in the league. The offense didn’t get many short fields, or easy points.

Receivers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown each caught over 1,000 yards worth of passes. Roethlisberger threw for over 4,000. The Steelers sent four offensive players to Pro Bowl. That hadn’t happened since 2004.

You can’t knock the running game, either: It averaged 4.4 yards per carry, the best mark since 2001.

Looking at Arians’ five-year tenure, his offense helped the Steelers get to two Super Bowls, winning one. His successor will not have done that, or do that. Guaranteed.

Arians hasn’t always had the best players to work with, particularly on the line. When it comes to excellence, the Steelers spend on defense first. You can’t cook gourmet meals when half your ingredients are from 7-11. All things considered, Arians did fine. Overachieved, even.

So why was Arians fired? For a few debatable play calls? Why not fire Tomlin for consistently poor clock management? Or LeBeau for the debacle at Denver?

Or why not leave pretty good alone? An early playoff exit aside, 12-4 is an excellent season.

This is bizarre. This seems like a decision made by a talk-show caller. Knee-jerk. Hasty. Against the grain.

Maybe Rooney wants to pound the ball on the ground, just like granddaddy’s team.

According to ESPN.com, sources say Arians was canned with an eye toward shifting “the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... mode=print (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/madden-arians-firing-makes-little-sense/article_db288763-f407-5f4a-88a5-f669a8a9d08b.html?mode=print)

Is there any media person that has milked Big Ben's schlong more than Madden? If its unpopular with Big Ben, its unpopular with Madden. Count on it.

Big Ben might have more influence if he hadn't raped two women........Allegedly

Slapstick
01-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Is there any media person that has milked Big Ben's schlong more than Madden? If its unpopular with Big Ben, its unpopular with Madden. Count on it.

Big Ben might have more influence if he hadn't raped two women.

I call BS on that...

I have just as much evidence that Ben raped two women as I have evidence that you raped two women...

That is to say, none...

Steelers>NFL
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Why?

I am not sure if Ben raped any women. But you are right, had he not put himself and the team in so MUCH DRAMA in the last 2 or 3 offseasons, he could carry a lot of weight or say with what go on in the team. But I think he lost all of that. Though I think he did regain a little for being a "good boy" in the last 10 mos.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM

I'd be surprised to see that, especially after seeing recently that he lost something close to 20 pounds. If he wanted to compete for a Travis Kirshke type role (10-15 snaps per game, max) I don't see the harm in that, but after watching him last season, it appears, unfortunately, that he has nothing left.

I wouldn't have a problem with Aaron getting 10 to 15 snaps if he didn't have a history of season ending injuries the last 3 or 4 years.

If he comes back next year he is Duce Staley...

BigRob
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

I call BS on that...

I have just as much evidence that Ben raped two women as I have evidence that you raped two women...

That is to say, none...

Sorry, I'm a lawyer, your don't advise your clients to settle lawsuits without their being lots of smoke.

It shows there was enough evidence that he possibly had non-consensual sex with those women to have led a jury to hold him liable for it. That would have been far worse for him.

I am not saying it was cut and dry rape, but it rarely is unless there are real psychos involved. Anyone without the benefit of his money would have been in jail for the Georgia incident.

But it shows what a phukin douchebag idiot Big Ben is/was to put himself in a position to have to settle two lawsuits that close together. This is why he can't and shouldn't have any input into the organizational future.

He's a good quarterback, but don't let him hold you hostage or generate a lot of **** over firing a crappy OC.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Not even going to touch the rape thing....

but I'm curious to see if Ben gets on board or rebels with the new OC if we go back to smash mouth football.

Slapstick
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Sorry, I'm a lawyer, your don't advise your clients to settle lawsuits without their being lots of smoke.

It shows there was enough evidence that he possibly had non-consensual sex with those women to have led a jury to hold him liable for it. That would have been far worse for him.

I am not saying it was cut and dry rape, but it rarely is unless there are real psychos involved. Anyone without the benefit of his money would have been in jail for the Georgia incident.

But it shows what a phukin douchebag idiot Big Ben is/was to put himself in a position to have to settle two lawsuits that close together. This is why he can't and shouldn't have any input into the organizational future.

He's a good quarterback, but don't let him hold you hostage or generate a lot of bad word over firing a crappy OC.

No evidence...

Whether he settles or not, Ben still loses...he's been convicted in the court of public opinion and suspended by the NFL...if he goes after the victim in open court, he looks like the bad guy even if he is somehow vindicated...

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't...despite the fact that there is no evidence, no arrest and no charges...

hawaiiansteel
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with Aaron getting 10 to 15 snaps if he didn't have a history of season ending injuries the last 3 or 4 years.

If he comes back next year he is Duce Staley...

oh man, my day was going so well until you just reminded me of Duce and his infamous gray sweats... :D

http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/ducesweats.jpg

BigRob
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM

He's a good quarterback, but don't let him hold you hostage or generate a lot of bad word over firing a crappy OC.

No evidence...

Whether he settles or not, Ben still loses...he's been convicted in the court of public opinion and suspended by the NFL...if he goes after the victim in open court, he looks like the bad guy even if he is somehow vindicated...

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't...despite the fact that there is no evidence, no arrest and no charges...

Ha ha ha ha,

Only if the world worked in black and white. Unfortunately, its all kinds of shades of brown.

A SMART rich, white, athlete, with lots and lots of money protects himself. He knows he has to protect himself. He doesn't risk it because he knows he's a target.

The fact is he put himself in jeopardy twice that we know about. How many times was he playing with fire and got away with it?

The ONLY reason he wasn't prosecuted for the Georgia incident criminally is because the local District Attorney didn't want to risk his political capital. They knew that he would put up a hell of a fight with lots of top notch criminal lawyers.

So I don't begrudge him getting convicted by the court of public opinion. He deserves to be for being such a bonehead. You don't give a guy like that Manning style input into your organization.

Your average person would be behind bars right now for what happened in Georgia. I

brothervad
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Not to be an old fart...(but you will think so anyway)

It's football. It's about dominating your opponent.

A ball control offense that minimizes the number of drives still is an effective strategy.

A team that bruises wears down a Defense can still work.

I would contest that Cowher will still succeed in today's NFL with his system.

Now saying that doesn't mean I think the Steelers should go back to that...

But they do need to go back to an O-line that can actually run/pass block.

As far as Ben having a hissy fit, it's not his team. It's the Rooney's. Ben is in his 30's now and he can't continue to sustain the type of beating he is taking.

I think the Rooney's know that and they are actually trying to lengthen the career of their franchise QB.

IMHO.

brothervad

Slapstick
01-23-2012, 04:43 PM

No evidence...

Ha ha ha ha,

Only if the world worked in black and white. Unfortunately, its all kinds of shades of brown.

A SMART rich, white, athlete, with lots and lots of money protects himself. He knows he has to protect himself. He doesn't risk it because he knows he's a target.

The fact is he put himself in jeopardy twice that we know about. How many times was he playing with fire and got away with it?

The ONLY reason he wasn't prosecuted for the Georgia incident criminally is because the local District Attorney didn't want to risk his political capital. They knew that he would put up a hell of a fight with lots of top notch criminal lawyers.

So I don't begrudge him getting convicted by the court of public opinion. He deserves to be for being such a bonehead. You don't give a guy like that Manning style input into your organization.

Your average person would be behind bars right now for what happened in Georgia. I

If you say so...

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Not to be an old fart...(but you will think so anyway)

It's football. It's about dominating your opponent.

A ball control offense that minimizes the number of drives still is an effective strategy.

A team that bruises wears down a Defense can still work.

I would contest that Cowher will still succeed in today's NFL with his system.

Now saying that doesn't mean I think the Steelers should go back to that...

But they do need to go back to an O-line that can actually run/pass block.

As far as Ben having a hissy fit, it's not his team. It's the Rooney's. Ben is in his 30's now and he can't continue to sustain the type of beating he is taking.

I think the Rooney's know that and they are actually trying to lengthen the career of their franchise QB.

IMHO.

brothervad

:Bow

I don't think Ben is capable of protecting himself.... get a better OL, go back to 04, 05 game manager style with more passing weaved in and we should be good.

I think this weekend put a nice wrench in the "passing league, gotta score 45 points to win" argument. While it's nice to beat bad teams by 45 it does nothing for you when you play good teams. It's much easier to play ball control, keep it in the low 20's vs a shoot out.

I really hope Ben isn't throwing a hissy fit.

Sugar
01-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Where is anybody getting the idea that Ben is throwing a "hissy-fit" or being a "baby" about any of this? Just because some journalist said he wasn't happy about a close friend leaving the team? Really?? :HeadBanger

Shawn
01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Music to my ears!!!

Not mine either. I want Ben to earn his 100 million. Going back to the stone ages with O is a recipe for mediocrity.

Steelers>NFL
01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Music to my ears!!!

Not mine either. I want Ben to earn his 100 million. Going back to the stone ages with O is a recipe for mediocrity.

My guess is that Rooney II did not mean exaclty like 60% run, 40% pass. I think he wants to go back to conventional offense with FB, including the I formation and more importantly - establish the run. If the Steelers can do this, then this will make Ben and the offense more dangerous. That is how I take it IMO. The last 2 season, the Steelers lacked a good running game - meaning everything was put on Ben's shoulder to take over. And with the OL struggling, to go along with Ben holding forever "ball holding skills" - Ben was just not able to carry the team on his shoulder and stay healthy at the same time.

grotonsteel
01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Where is anybody getting the idea that Ben is throwing a "hissy-fit" or being a "baby" about any of this? Just because some journalist said he wasn't happy about a close friend leaving the team? Really?? :HeadBanger

Seriously.

What do people expect Ben to say if someone asks him what does he feel now that BA has retired??? People expected Ben to say " I am happy BA is retiring????" :roll:

grotonsteel
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM

You call yourself a lawyer??? Convicting someone without evidence. Great.

BigRob
01-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Yep, it's called circumstantial evidence. It is used to convict people everyday in court.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM

Seriously.

What do people expect Ben to say if someone asks him what does he feel now that BA has retired??? People expected Ben to say " I am happy BA is retiring????" :roll:

True.

NorthCoast
01-23-2012, 08:23 PM
There hasn't been a team in five years that has feared the Steelers run game. And, I am not convinced there is a team that feared our passing game either.

What they do fear.. Ben's big play ability. But defenses have wised up to him and it has been a lot harder for these plays to come by. Against crappy defenses, maybe. Against good ones that can play tight man?.....not so much.

Look what Brady did to the Ravens yesterday. Took underneath stuff all day long.... hurry up keeping the defense out there on the field and gassed them.

brothervad
01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
NorthCoast,

I agree and one other thing that the Coaching staff did. They took what the Ravens gave them which was the run off the draw.

Baltimore totally sold out on the pass...and you could Benjarvus Green (or whatever it is)
run up some pretty significant yardage as a result.

Odd how a team can adjust a gameplan as opposed to thumping their chests and saying this is what we do.

Yes I am still seething on the inverted zone call in OT :D

brothervad

grotonsteel
01-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Yep, it's called circumstantial evidence. It is used to convict people everyday in court.

And what was the circumstantial evidence in this case??

phillyesq
01-23-2012, 09:18 PM

I call BS on that...

That is to say, none...

I'm not sure what type of practice you have, but you do realize that almost no civil suits go to trial, right?

There are tons of reasons for Ben to settle, including getting this nonsense out of the headlines. This could have easily been a cost of defense or de minimus settlement, but since it is confidential, we don't know. The mere fact of settlement tells us nothing. The amount could tell us something, but settlement itself means nothing.

eniparadoxgma
01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
The ONLY reason he wasn't prosecuted for the Georgia incident criminally is because the local District Attorney didn't want to risk his political capital.

Link? Source? Evidence?

TIA.

MCHammer
01-23-2012, 10:45 PM
There are tons of reasons for Ben to settle, including getting this nonsense out of the headlines. This could have easily been a cost of defense or de minimus settlement, but since it is confidential, we don't know. The mere fact of settlement tells us nothing. The amount could tell us something, but settlement itself means nothing.

While I agree with your general point, I think it is likely that this settled for a not insignificant amount. There is no penalty for her to press the suit. It is costing her nothing. In a case like this, there is almost no danger of a wrongful use of civil proceedings being filed either. Meanwhile, Ben bleeds money by the billable hour and gets a PR nightmare costing him who knows how much in goodwill, endorsements, whatever.

It just seems likely to me he paid 6 figures or damn near it. But that is speculation on my part.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Mehno: Is Rooney meddling with Steelers' personnel?

Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012
By John Mehno Times Sports correspondent

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/de/edea80bd-41d7-5d8e-a7be-e517d23b5d19/4f1b7f3feb57a.preview-300.jpg

The surprise isn't that Bruce Arians is out as Steelers' offensive coordinator.

But rather it's the un-Steelers like path he took to retirement at age 59.

There's a pile of circumstantial evidence to suggest this decision was reached in a way that isn't the Steelers' customary way of doing business.

We know that Arians said he wanted to come back, and that Mike Tomlin apparently wanted him to return.

The first bit of doubt was cast when team president Art Rooney II revealed that some "senior" coaches were contemplating retirement.

Given that defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau, 74, had agreed to come back, that left Arians.

If Tomlin wanted Arians to return, who didn't?

Most signs point to Rooney, who has a lot of money, a lifelong connection to the team and no background in coaching.

If you carry the title of team president, you get to call the shots. But the system that's worked for the Steelers for a long time is to hire talented people and let them do their jobs.

There's almost always a Rooney on the premises at Steelers headquarters. Dan Rooney, 79, has run himself rugged traveling from his post as the U.S. Ambassador to Ireland back to the U.S. to catch Steelers games.

Even though he visits the locker room the way his father did, Dan Rooney usually doesn't meddle.

You knew the Chuck Noll era was ending when Dan Rooney ordered Noll to fire some assistant coaches after the team went 5-11 in 1988.

But Tomlin's team is coming off a 12-4 season. Yes, the Steelers had a hugely disappointing loss in the playoffs, but there were also significant injury issues that started in the last month of the season.

Forcing out a coordinator after a .750 season is something you'd expect from Jerry Jones, not a Rooney.

But Arians is gone, and now the focus is on finding his replacement.

Wonder if Art Rooney II will make himself part of that process?

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... ef62c.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/mehno-is-rooney-meddling-with-steelers-personnel/article_a8ffee46-9825-52bb-922e-d7eaa11ef62c.html)

NJ-STEELER
01-24-2012, 02:38 AM

yep.. OK by me. Do you think this means more "game manager" Ben?

hope not

today's rules benefit the passing game.

that said, i never want more then a 55%/45% pass run ratio going either way unless the game calls for it (being behind early or up big late)

i would like to be able to run or against any defense.... we'll need both most of the time

NJ-STEELER
01-24-2012, 02:46 AM

there's more drama queens on these message boards then the supposed one behind the center

NJ-STEELER
01-24-2012, 02:50 AM

I call BS on that...

That is to say, none...

I'm not sure what type of practice you have, but you do realize that almost no civil suits go to trial, right?

the fact that she offfered to drop the civil case if ben just "apologized" shows you what kind of case this was.

she was upset thinking it was more then a one night stand. heck, she bragged about having sex with him

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2012, 03:04 AM
there's more drama queens on these message boards then the supposed one behind the center

"no really, I'm a better drama queen than anyone they have at Planet Steelers..." - Ben

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0104/20120104__135316023~p1.jpg

Dresden
01-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Dude,..who cares about Roethlisberger's civil cases. He may or may not be a backwood creep, ....saint.... or likely more of something inbetween on a personal level.

However, i think that Rooney having any desire to take the ball out of his hands has far less to do with any of that than the fact that,..."Hey the guy is just reeeeeally not that an exceptional, consistent or mature enough passer/decion maker/professional to depend on".

At the end of the day,..yes even our beloved Football is not only a game,...but a business on a professional level.

It's just reality folks.

phillyesq
01-24-2012, 02:46 PM

While I agree with your general point, I think it is likely that this settled for a not insignificant amount. There is no penalty for her to press the suit. It is costing her nothing. In a case like this, there is almost no danger of a wrongful use of civil proceedings being filed either. Meanwhile, Ben bleeds money by the billable hour and gets a PR nightmare costing him who knows how much in goodwill, endorsements, whatever.

It just seems likely to me he paid 6 figures or damn near it. But that is speculation on my part.

PFT reported that the settlement was "less than a game check." If accurate, this could mean a low - mid six figure settlement. While that sounds like a lot, in reality, that is probably the cost of defense, if not less.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Arians' 'retirement' lasts all of eight days

By wire reports
Sunday, January 29, 2012

ESPN reported Saturday that Bruce Arians, whose contract as Steelers offensive coordinator wasn't renewed after the team decided to go in a different direction, was hired for the same position by the Indianapolis Colts.

Arians, 59, is expected to travel to Indianapolis on Monday and review the details of his contract.

Days after it was reported Arians retired from his job with the Steelers, he admitted his contract had expired and the team decided not to renew it -- a move that went against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Steelers owner Art Rooney II said he would like the team to reestablish its run-first identity with a new coordinator.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1kszcP1KP (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_778979.html#ixzz1kszcP1KP)

Steelhere10
01-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Arians' 'retirement' lasts all of eight days

By wire reports
Sunday, January 29, 2012

ESPN reported Saturday that Bruce Arians, whose contract as Steelers offensive coordinator wasn't renewed after the team decided to go in a different direction, was hired for the same position by the Indianapolis Colts.

Arians, 59, is expected to travel to Indianapolis on Monday and review the details of his contract.

Days after it was reported Arians retired from his job with the Steelers, he admitted his contract had expired and the team decided not to renew it -- a move that went against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Steelers owner Art Rooney II said he would like the team to reestablish its run-first identity with a new coordinator.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1kszcP1KP (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_778979.html#ixzz1kszcP1KP)Go to the interview
on the steelers.com site... At the 440 mark, I really don't think Art want to go to a run first approach , When he say he want Ben to be elite like the rest of the QB's.

Sword
01-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Well...in order to have a good running game you need a good Offensive Line...
and this effects 3 very important parts of the game to win..
Keeps your Defense off the field
Good running game
Gives the QB time to throw

I think this will help Ben be better....

Sword

Oviedo
01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Well...in order to have a good running game you need a good Offensive Line...
and this effects 3 very important parts of the game to win..
Keeps your Defense off the field
Good running game
Gives the QB time to throw

I think this will help Ben be better....

Sword

:Agree Unless they fix the OL this offense won't get better. The running game won't get better. Ben won't survive the season without an injury.

We have poured financial resources into retaining players on the defensive side of the ball with very large multi-year contracts. We need to see the pendulum start to swing back the other way or our franchise QB is going to be on IR and our offense will continue to underperform. No OC will stand a chance of making the offense better unless he has a competent OL. We don't!!!

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
looks like Ike Taylor agrees with Art II...

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

MarkKaboly_Trib RT “@jharris_trib via twitter:

On today's Ike Taylor Show #24 told me he wants the Steelers new offensive coordinator to run the ball more next season”

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1l4l4kWj2 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1l4l4kWj2)

Chadman
01-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Ike should be the new OC....

ikestops85
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM

On today's Ike Taylor Show #24 told me he wants the Steelers new offensive coordinator to run the ball more next season”

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1l4l4kWj2 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1l4l4kWj2)

Well I wish Ike would have defended a few passes in the wildcard game against Denver! :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

grotonsteel
02-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Well I wish Ike would have defended a few passes in the wildcard game against Denver! :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

NJ-STEELER
02-01-2012, 06:56 PM
he's right.

if he covers receivers the way he did vs. denver.

we should run the ball as much as we can and keep the ball away from the other team

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Rooney no meddler; Tomlin safe

THURSDAY, 02 FEBRUARY 2012 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

There’s no explaining, at least with the knowledge at hand, the reasoning behind the decision of Steelers president Dan Rooney to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians seemingly against the wishes of coach Mike Tomlin.

The best-case scenario explanation would be that it was just bad communications between Rooney and Tomlin. Perhaps, but if that were the case, there surely would have been some sort of explanation from the Steelers, and there was not.

Which leads to the belief, but not with total certainty, that the two men disagreed on Arians.

Which has led to two lines of speculation:

* Rooney is a meddler of the Jerry Jones/Daniel Snyder ilk.

* Tomlin is in trouble with Rooney.

A couple of years ago Rooney made a fairly casual comment about the Steelers running game and how he’d like to see it be better. Since there is a large part of the SteelerNation that is hopelessly in love with the running game, many seized upon this as Rooney ordering a return to the run game.

I saw it more as a suggestion the team get better at running the ball and not as an order to run it more.

Now comes the Rooney firing of Arians and the ‘meddler’ tag is being thrown around. People are suggesting his dad, Dan, would never do anything like that and most certainly his grandfather, the beloved Chief, would not.

History tells us most emphatically that the Chief would not, which is why the Steelers were lovable losers when he ran the team. The Steelers become a storied and successful franchise under the reign of Dan, who did not meddle. But nor did he have hands off.

Dan was capable of firing a coordinator. He’d do it with a lot more finesse than his son. Until we see more, much more, the current Steelers president should not be considered a meddler.

As for Tomlin being in trouble. It’s possible he has fallen a bit in the estimation of the owner, but it’s hard to imagine that he is in trouble.

Tom Coughlin, all of a sudden one of the reigning geniuses of the NFL, is preparing for his second Super Bowl in his 17th season of coaching. He reached his first in his 12th season.

Mike McCarthy, who heads up the almost-dynastic Green Bay franchise, reached his first Super Bowl in his fifth season and is still looking for his second.

Tomlin won his first Super Bowl in his second year and reached his second in his fourth.

Only a fool would mess with that and Art Rooney is no fool.

For those who believe it’s the Steelers Way more than the coach that produces success and that just about anybody could step in and continue to bring the team to the Super Bowl, remember this: The Steeler Way went 15 seasons during the 80s and half the 90s without going to a Super Bowl.

The coach is important. He’s not all-important but important enough not to be messed with.

These have been unusual days of some interenal turmoil for the Steelers. They shall pass.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... s-job-safe (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31764-rooney-no-meddler-tomlins-job-safe)

feltdizz
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Once again, since the Steelers haven't given the media more info they have to speculate on how or why it went down. It's something they will never know because we keep those things in house.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Rooney no meddler; Tomlin safe

THURSDAY, 02 FEBRUARY 2012 WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

There’s no explaining, at least with the knowledge at hand, the reasoning behind the decision of Steelers president Dan Rooney to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians seemingly against the wishes of coach Mike Tomlin.

The best-case scenario explanation would be that it was just bad communications between Rooney and Tomlin. Perhaps, but if that were the case, there surely would have been some sort of explanation from the Steelers, and there was not.

Which leads to the belief, but not with total certainty, that the two men disagreed on Arians.

Which has led to two lines of speculation:

* Rooney is a meddler of the Jerry Jones/Daniel Snyder ilk.

* Tomlin is in trouble with Rooney.

A couple of years ago Rooney made a fairly casual comment about the Steelers running game and how he’d like to see it be better. Since there is a large part of the SteelerNation that is hopelessly in love with the running game, many seized upon this as Rooney ordering a return to the run game.

I saw it more as a suggestion the team get better at running the ball and not as an order to run it more.

Now comes the Rooney firing of Arians and the ‘meddler’ tag is being thrown around. People are suggesting his dad, Dan, would never do anything like that and most certainly his grandfather, the beloved Chief, would not.

History tells us most emphatically that the Chief would not, which is why the Steelers were lovable losers when he ran the team. The Steelers become a storied and successful franchise under the reign of Dan, who did not meddle. But nor did he have hands off.

Dan was capable of firing a coordinator. He’d do it with a lot more finesse than his son. Until we see more, much more, the current Steelers president should not be considered a meddler.

As for Tomlin being in trouble. It’s possible he has fallen a bit in the estimation of the owner, but it’s hard to imagine that he is in trouble.

Tom Coughlin, all of a sudden one of the reigning geniuses of the NFL, is preparing for his second Super Bowl in his 17th season of coaching. He reached his first in his 12th season.

Mike McCarthy, who heads up the almost-dynastic Green Bay franchise, reached his first Super Bowl in his fifth season and is still looking for his second.

Tomlin won his first Super Bowl in his second year and reached his second in his fourth.

Only a fool would mess with that and Art Rooney is no fool.

For those who believe it’s the Steelers Way more than the coach that produces success and that just about anybody could step in and continue to bring the team to the Super Bowl, remember this: The Steeler Way went 15 seasons during the 80s and half the 90s without going to a Super Bowl.

The coach is important. He’s not all-important but important enough not to be messed with.

These have been unusual days of some interenal turmoil for the Steelers. They shall pass.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... s-job-safe (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31764-rooney-no-meddler-tomlins-job-safe)

This is news? :?

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Bires: Haley doesn't figure to buddy up to Ben

Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012
By Mike Bires Times Sports Staff

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/64/b6415811-90e7-56cf-82c0-0dd07b9674cb/4f3099947eaa9.preview-300.jpg

If indeed he's the Steelers' new offensive coordinator, Todd Haley will have a few things in common with the guy he reportedly will replace.

Like Bruce Arians, Haley loves the passing game.

Like Arians, Haley has a passion for the game of golf.

I point that out because Ben Roethlisberger has similar interests.

Roethlisberger, the quarterback and face of the Steelers' franchise, likes it best when he's moving the offense via the pass. And when football season is over, he knows how to maneuver around a golf course quite well. Often over the years, he'd tee it up with Arians. They've both been members at a private venue in western Pennsylvania as well as one in Georgia.

They used football, golf and an occasional game of cards to develop a very close relationship not often found between athlete and coach.

Maybe that's one reason Steelers president Art Rooney II decided to part ways with Arians two weeks ago, that the close bond between Roethlisberger and Arians was too close.

That doesn't figure to be the case with Haley and Roethlisberger ... at least not right away.

Roethlisberger was upset when Arians wasn't retained. And, based on his past, Haley, the former head coach of the Chiefs, probably won't care if he ever develops a friendship with Roethlisberger. Over the years, Haley has gained the reputation of a combustible, headstrong egomaniac who's not afraid to be confrontational with his players.

Haley, who could be named O.C. as early as today, has ties to the Steelers. His father, Dick, played defensive back for the Steelers from 1961-64. Then from 1971-90, he was director of player personnel and responsible for drafting many of the great Steelers from the 1970s.

When Todd Haley was a kid growing up in Upper St. Clair, he'd spend time at training camp as a ball boy. But when he attended high school, he didn't play football. Instead, he played on USC's golf team.

After working for his dad in the Jets' scouting department in the mid-1990s, Todd Haley decided to enter the coaching profession. He coached wide receivers for the Jets and Bears. He coached in Dallas for three years as the Cowboys' wide receivers coach and passing-game coordinator.

From 2007-2008, he was the offensive coordinator in Arizona and helped the Cardinals make it to the Super Bowl XLIII against the Steelers. In '08, the Cardinals had one of the NFL's most explosive offenses. Of course, it helped to have Kurt Warner at quarterback and Larry Fitzgerald at wide receiver.

But in the past three years as head coach in K.C., Haley's teams went 4-12, 10-6 and 5-8 in the regular season. The Chiefs did win the AFC West two seasons ago, but this past year Haley was fired after 13 games.

So now it appears that Haley, 45, is headed back to Pittsburgh. No doubt, the ties his father had with the Steelers didn't hurt his chances of landing the job. But most importantly, he got the job because of his offensive expertise.

It will be his job to make the Steelers a more explosive offense than they were under Arians.

If Haley does that, it won't matter if he ever calls Roethlisberger his friend.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/bires ... d6688.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/bires-haley-doesn-t-figure-to-buddy-up-to-ben/article_6ce03b3e-e61b-5052-aadd-5cde62dd6688.html)