PDA

View Full Version : Mendy fumble in SB XLV

SteelCrazy
01-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Watching this play is making me sick but I cant get over how Legs over pulls on #79 and I'm not sure what DJ was doing, it kind of looks like he was running with the ball and squeezed through a couple of would be tacklers. He didnt even attempt to block #52 he just ducks outta the way. Watch it and get sick with me........ :tt2

[youtube:2d0nxt00]ulq1xcyaU_w[/youtube:2d0nxt00]

Captain Lemming
01-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Watching this play is making me sick but I cant get over how Legs over pulls on #79 and I'm not sure what DJ was doing, it kind of looks like he was running with the ball and squeezed through a couple of would be tacklers. He didnt even attempt to block #52 he just ducks outta the way. Watch it and get sick with me........ :tt2

[youtube:2uzkbkq7]ulq1xcyaU_w[/youtube:2uzkbkq7]

Do you poke pencils in your eye for no good reason too?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Watch it and get sick with me........ :tt2

I'd rather have a root canal.

SteelCrazy
01-21-2012, 11:05 PM
If Legs and DJ get their blocks it may have went for 6....I dont like Legs as our G or DJ as our FB. We need help in Free Agency and the draft with no room in our cap. It looks like a band aid OL again in 2012.

SteelCrazy
01-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Do you poke pencils in your eye for no good reason too?

I'd rather have a root canal

I'm concerned with our OL and blocking in general. I went back to this because its very easy to see what went wrong and how bad those 2 can be. Legs is a valuable back up, but not consistent enough to start every game. I'm just worried about this because Ben is getting killed and older to boot.

Shoe
01-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm frankly stunned how no one blames the RB who fumbled the ball! I don't care if 11 guys fell on him--his job is to hang on to the ball!

This is not to say that RBs are not supposed to fumble... of course, when you carry the ball in football, you will fumble. And yes, Johnson just seemed to be standing there, while Matthews came scott free and blasted the RB. But that's still not an excuse for fumbling in that situation!

The fact is, he holds on to that ball, and we score. If you remember, all the momentum had swung to us at that point. A TD would've been HUGE. It's funny--since that play, I've really concentrated more when watching games... and it's amazing how games swing on singular or a series of plays. It's not the huge advantage/disadvantage that we think of. The Rams could beat the Saints, if for a few plays. KC can beat GB, with a break or two... Oh wait, those did happen.

Ghost
01-22-2012, 12:00 AM
I believe RM should have held on to the ball no matter how quickly he was hit but DJ should have been cut immediately following that game. He is a liability when he is on the field and adds nothing to the team. Complete waste of a roster spot.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Johnsons 'block' was pathetic. Then it looked like he looked at the ball as well.

SteelerNation1
01-22-2012, 01:43 AM
It's really fun to watch odonnells ints in SBXXX too. Or, better yet, watch Tim McKyer get roasted in the 94 AFC CG.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-22-2012, 06:39 AM
LOL. I'm currently working on an Anthony Smith & Chad Scott highlight film.

7 UP
01-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Great post!!! If you get a chance, can you please post some Super Bowl XXX Neil Odonnell interception highlights?

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm frankly stunned how no one blames the RB who fumbled the ball! I don't care if 11 guys fell on him--his job is to hang on to the ball!

This is not to say that RBs are not supposed to fumble... of course, when you carry the ball in football, you will fumble. And yes, Johnson just seemed to be standing there, while Matthews came scott free and blasted the RB. But that's still not an excuse for fumbling in that situation!

The fact is, he holds on to that ball, and we score. If you remember, all the momentum had swung to us at that point. A TD would've been HUGE. It's funny--since that play, I've really concentrated more when watching games... and it's amazing how games swing on singular or a series of plays. It's not the huge advantage/disadvantage that we think of. The Rams could beat the Saints, if for a few plays. KC can beat GB, with a break or two... Oh wait, those did happen.

you can blame RM all you want but when a RB get's hit that quickly in the backfield his contribution to the failure on that play is minimal.

Shoe
01-22-2012, 01:57 PM
you can blame RM all you want but when a RB get's hit that quickly in the backfield his contribution to the failure on that play is minimal.

I disagree felt. This was not like Ngata's hit on him in the season opener this year, where I don't blame him for coughing it up. Johnson's effort was atrocious here... I'm not doubting that. But that doesn't negate RM's responsibility to hold on to the ball in a situation where he should have more awareness than he showed.

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 02:36 PM

I disagree felt. This was not like Ngata's hit on him in the season opener this year, where I don't blame him for coughing it up. Johnson's effort was atrocious here... I'm not doubting that. But that doesn't negate RM's responsibility to hold on to the ball in a situation where he should have more awareness than he showed.

he was crushed on the play... it happens.

papillon
01-22-2012, 03:38 PM

If he had been carrying the loose and out away from his body I will agree wholeheartedly with you; however, he understood ball security and had the ball tucked high and tight. The suddenness of the hit and the location of the hit caused the fumble. Mendenhall's culpability here is minimal; the lack of blocking is the issue and the other team making a great play.

Pappy

pittpete
01-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Really hope we resign DJ this year :roll:

SteelCrazy
01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
I agree with Pap's call here. You can see #79 hit from the outside and #52 from the inside meaning both hits cause the fumble and Mendy is only 5-10% responsible for this fumble.

And to all the guys making fun of my post, the only reason I bring it up is to show how bad Legs and DJ really are. We need help in the draft and FA with no cap room and its a concern to me.

drprwnap
01-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Watch it and get sick with me........ :tt2

I'd rather have a root canal.

I vote for the foot canal also.

skyhawk
01-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Terrible. Mendy isn't even close to reaching the LOS. I also wonder if the Pack knew the play beforehand. Arians predictability once again. :HeadBanger