PDA

View Full Version : Good read on BA career being average at best.

Steelhere10
01-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Go to Steelersde__. com and it shows how average BA have been through his whole coaching career and how sacks and points per game is what you get with this bum...
Good bye Bruce, me personally are glad you are gone!

Oviedo
01-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Arians is gone so really no need to talk about him or his career. Much more interested in the future and someone who will actually have something to do with the team.

Dresden
01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Arians is gone so really no need to talk about him or his career. Much more interested in the future and someone who will actually have something to do with the team.

Exactly. We have taken one step towards improvement and should only be concerned with the journey to come,......

Eddie Spaghetti
01-21-2012, 08:22 PM

maybe you would enjoy the write up on ramon foster a little more.

since you think he should be cut. :roll:

Dresden
01-21-2012, 08:38 PM

maybe you would enjoy the write up on ramon foster a little more.

since you think he should be cut. :roll:

Do they have one on Roethlisberger, Mcfadden, Timmons, Hood, Mendenhall, Keen Lewis, William Gay, Ryan Mundy, Jason Worilds, Emanuel Sanders and Daniel Supulveda ?

If so,...within the context of what your saying,.... i'm all in. :lol:

BURGH86STEEL
01-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Bruce helped this team have a lot of success and win a couple of SB's.

I see no point in continually trashing the guy after he's gone. I think people did enough of that when he was here.

SteelCrazy
01-21-2012, 09:50 PM
SteelHere, I think its a good idea to remember the past so we do not repeat it. Hopefully Tomlin learns from this cluster bad word.

steelnavy
01-21-2012, 11:52 PM

I disagree. We will hear lamenting on how its not going to get better because its the O-lines fault (already started on another post) and that poor Bruce was unfairly targeted. The exit of Arians is a valid point for discussion. And I laid his mediocre history out on here a year ago or so.

Mediocre people (for the most part) remain mediocre. I have been around the block long enough to see that in my career fields over and over. The bright and shiny stars stay shiny and the average performing stars stay average.

Bruce never showed much of an ability to excel at any level in his coaching career. Mike Tomlin, on the other hand, was so shiny since high school that people around him had to wear sunglasses. He excelled at every level, and even though I question his decision making at times with the Steelers, he still is delivering a pretty solid product.

Bruce had Ben for his entire stint with the Steelers as the coordinator. If he had Tommy gun or Korkie, he would have been exposd much earlier because they would not have consistently saved his poorly called plays.

I don't personally hate the guy and am sure that he did the best that he could. But he doesn't have it and never did, and thank gawd the front office finally pulled the plug on this horrible experiment.

Good luck to you Bruce in your next endeavor. Thank you for trying your best for the Steeler Nation.

costanza2k1
01-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Wonder how many points per season our D allowed during BAs time. Just to keep this balanced. :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Remembering Bruce Arians: 2004 - 2011

by Michael Hewitt on Jan 21, 2012

" I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the teamís offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement." - Mike Tomlin

The Bruce Arians era of Pittsburgh Steeler offensive football is now [finally] over. However, Bruce has had a much more glorified career than most Steeler fans know and understand. Much maligned in Pittsburgh over the last few years as the Steelers were "inconsistent offensively", without a doubt Bruce left his mark on the NFL throughout his extensive coaching career.

No one will remember Bruce being the Quarterbacks coach for a rookie QB named Peyton Manning in his first three years, shattering every rookie QB record, and then in his final season coaching 3rd year Peyton would he smash the franchise record for passing yardage and touchdowns.

No one will remember Bruce being the last Cleveland Browns Offensive Coordinator to get the Browns to the Playoffs in 2002, even with a QB by the name of Tim Couch running the offense. That was one of only two times in the last 16 years that the Browns have had a winning season and a top 20 offense.

A few Steeler fans who paid close attention in the early 2000's will know that Bruce Arians was a Bill Cowher hiring in 2004 as a Wide Receivers coach, to work under Cowher and 1st year offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, for a team coming off a 2003 season that saw the team go 6-10.

2004: Wide Receivers Coach

Bruce Arians was part of the Offensive staff that helped the Steelers to a 15-1 record with a rookie 1st round quarterback. Arians as the Wide Receivers coach helped take Hines Ward to his fourth consecutive 1000yd season despite the offense shedding nearly 600 passing yards off from the previous season. It also saw Plaxico Burress average 20 yards per catch in the 11 games he played in, as well as making Antwaan Randle El a more focal receiver, grabbing in a career high 600+ yards. All in all a very successful season from a near complete revamp of the offensive staff.

2005: Wide Receivers Coach

Bruce Arians was still the Wide Receivers coach in the championship year of 2005, a year in which the Steelers overcame the "tough loss on offense" of Plaxico Burress departing the Steelers for the bright lights of New York. His "replacement" was Cedrick Wilson who had came over from the 49ers, and OC Whiz also had a new 1st round Tight End in Heath Miller to play with also. In another sub-3000 yard passing season by the Steelers, Arians again had his receivers on point, Hines Ward posting a high 900 yard receiving season, but also redeveloping his touchdown abilities with 11, +7 from the previous season. Randle El had a second straight solid season with 550+ yards and little known Cedrick Wilson became a big play threat in limited action posting a 17.3 yards per catch average, up 5 ypc from his previous career averages. The first of three Superbowl teams Bruce Arians would be a part of.

2006: Wide Receivers Coach

In what would be a rough hangover year for the Steelers following the success of 2005, the offense would still have a great year (statistically). The Steelers offense featured in the top 10 (7) for the first time in four years, and 2006 was the year of some great production from Arians and his receiving corps. Ward had his usual 900+ yard season, Cedrick Wilson had 500, and in the loss of Randle El, Arians came through with a couple youngsters. 1st round rookie Santonio Holmes announced his place in the NFL with 800+ yards at 17ypc, and second year undrafted free agent Nate Washington came through 600+ yards at almost 18ypc after a year on the practice squad.

2007: Offensive Coordinator

2007 saw big changes in the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Coach Bill Cowher retired. OC Ken Whisenhunt departed to coach the Arizona Cardinals, and took Offensive Line coach Russ Grimm with him. In came a little known Defensive Coordinator by the name of Mike Tomlin to be Head Coach, and Bruce Arians was rewarded for the progress of his Wide Receivers over the last few years, and was named Offensive Coordinator.

Injuries ultimately derailed the Steelers late in the year, but you had a feeling this new look Pittsburgh team was one of the most exciting in years.

The Offense flourished under Bruce Arians, coming 9th in the league in scoring, and much of the success started with a rejuvenated Ben Roethlisberger, after a season in 2006 when he threw 18tds to 23 interceptions, he well and truly broke out with a 32 touchdown to just 11 interception season, making his first pro bowl. Willie Parker was the NFLs rushing leader until he broke his leg late in the season against the Rams, and Santonio Holmes became one of the leagues up and coming stars with 900+ yards and 8 TDs at a rate of 18 ypc.

The Steelers scored 393 points, the most in 12 years.

2008: Offensive Coordinator

After a "what if" season, 2008 had Steeler fans excited, and the team delivered, despite the struggles that Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians would face, and it all started up front. The 2008 version of the Offensive Line featured four new starters to the Offensive Line. Lack of continuity, youth, whatever you want to label it as, the line flat out struggled to protect Ben and open holes in the running game. It also didnt help Bruce much that 1st round running back Rashard Mendenhall was lost a quarter of the way through the season and starter Willie Parker was not his old self after the broken leg of 2007.

The line featured former RT Max Starks, playing LT for the first full season after a year on the bench, new starting LG Chris Kemoeatu attempting to fill the monster shoes of Alan Faneca, new C Justin Hartwig taking over the horrible Sean Mahan, and finally an undrafted rookie in Darnell Stapleton, thrown in the deep end after injuries to Kendall Simmons took its toll. A lot of changes and continuity to overcome.

The Steelers finished 20th in scoring and 22nd in yards, despite finishing 12-4 on the year - good for the #2 seed in the AFC, thanks to one of the more dominant defensive performances in NFL history.

Superbowl XLIII started so well for the Steelers offense. They carved out points on their first two offensive drives, going up 10-0. The next drive saw a penalty erase a large gain before punting, and the next a tipped pass intercepted, before going into the half 17-7. The Steelers would score 3 points on their only drive of the 3rd quarter. Then after a 4th quarter defensive collapse, the Offense produced by far the highlight of Bruce Arians' tenure in Pittsburgh, an 8 play - 88 yard touchdown drive to win the game. Big Ben was 5 of 7 for 84 yards and one of the most memorable touchdowns in NFL history. In other words, Bruce's offense, and his playcalling, came up huge when it mattered the most.

2009: Offensive Coordinator

2009 was another Superbowl hangover year for the Steelers. Injuries to the defensive side of the ball again crippled the team much the way it did in 2006. However, the Offense returned to prominence, finishing 12th in points scored and 7th in yardage.

Under Bruce Arians, Ben Roethlisberger became the first Steelers Quarterback to throw for over 4000 yards, as well as 26 TDs to just 12 interceptions (despite being sacked 50 times), second year RB Rashard Mendenhall broke out for 1100 yards and both Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes would have monster seasons with 1100/1200 yards respectively. First year receiver Mike Wallace posted 750 yards at 19 ypc and even TE Heath Miller got going with a career high 789 yards. The Offense had one of its finest seasons with Bruce Arians, however the team record did not reflect this, finishing 9-7 and missing the playoffs.

2010: Offensive Coordinator

With a healthy defense again in 2010, expectations were high for the Steelers, and the offense, despite the stunning trade of Superbowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes to the Jets. The wish was to just get through the first four games (minus Big Ben due to suspension) at .500 and then look to open the floodgates from then on. The response was better, 3-1 without Ben and then 9-3 with him to finish the season 12-4 with the #2 seed once again.

The offense was on song again in 2010, Big Ben averaged 250 yards per game and threw just 5 interceptions, Mendenhall ran for 1200 with 13 touchdowns, and second year man Mike Wallace dominated the single coverages he saw with 1200 yards and 10 touchdowns at more than 21 yards per catch.

The offense finished 12th in points and 14th in yardage. Although the Steelers season culminated in a loss to the Green Bay Packers in Superbowl XLV, where the offense started slow and simply ran out of time after mounting a heroic comeback.

Not too much point reflecting on the most recent season, with the heartbreaking loss to the Broncos still fresh in our minds. Bruce Arians' tenure in Pittsburgh ends much to the delite of some fans over his non usage of a fullback, inconsistent and "predictable" play calling as well and interesting choices on third down.

The "drop off" in Offensive performance statisically from Whiz was nearly non-existent. Ken Whisenhunt in his three years (2004-2006) as Offensive Coordinator outscored opposing offenses by an average of 96.6 points per year, or by 6 points per game, and averaged 23.3 points per game. Bruce Arians outscored opposing offenses by an average of 106.6 per year, or 6.6 points per game, and averaged 22.6 points per game, and he did it with a much worse Offensive Line leading the charge.

What the fans cannot argue is this. The guy knew offensive football. He was Peyton Manning's first Quarterbacks Coach in the NFL. He had a winning season with Tim Couch at Quarterback. He has also proven an outstanding coach of Wide Receivers.

Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Brown, Antwaan Randle El have all excelled under Bruce Arians, and if you look back to his Cleveland days as OC, you also see names like Kevin Johnson, Quincy Morgan and Dennis Northcutt having highly productive seasons with Bruce Arians, and failing without him.

It is almost bittersweet with Bruce Arians departing. Whilst one part of me is excited for some new blood, the other part of me wonders how good this offense of Bruce's may have been with an Offensive Line with the talent of the 2005 squad.

So long Bruce, enjoy retirement. You have two Superbowl rings on your hand and a lot of good memories in this Steeler fans head.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -2004-2011 (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/21/2722825/remembering-bruce-arians-2004-2011)

steelnavy
01-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Remembering Bruce Arians: 2004 - 2011

by Michael Hewitt on Jan 21, 2012

What the fans cannot argue is this. The guy knew offensive football. He was Peyton Manning's first Quarterbacks Coach in the NFL. He had a winning season with Tim Couch at Quarterback. He has also proven an outstanding coach of Wide Receivers.

Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Brown, Antwaan Randle El have all excelled under Bruce Arians, and if you look back to his Cleveland days as OC, you also see names like Kevin Johnson, Quincy Morgan and Dennis Northcutt having highly productive seasons with Bruce Arians, and failing without him.

It is almost bittersweet with Bruce Arians departing. Whilst one part of me is excited for some new blood, the other part of me wonders how good this offense of Bruce's may have been with an Offensive Line with the talent of the 2005 squad.

So long Bruce, enjoy retirement. You have two Superbowl rings on your hand and a lot of good memories in this Steeler fans head.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -2004-2011 (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/21/2722825/remembering-bruce-arians-2004-2011)

What a piece of fluff. The one thing that I can agree with is that he has some positive history as a wide receivers and QB coach. But when it comes to coordinator or head coach, he has not been so impressive.

All that I have to say is, if Bruce is a great coordinator and the majority of Steelers Nation is wrong about him, then other teams should be knocking down his door for first dibs any minute. Don't hold your breath though...

NorthCoast
01-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Wonder how many points per season our D allowed during BAs time. Just to keep this balanced. :stirpot

During Bruce Arians' reign, the defense has been out of the top 10 in scoring defense only twice (#11 in '06 and '09). During the same time, the offense has only cracked the top 10 in scoring once (#9 in '07).

Based on these facts, I would say the defense has been doing their part..... offense, not so much.

fezziwig
01-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Go to Steelersde__. com and it shows how average BA have been through his whole coaching career and how sacks and points per game is what you get with this bum...
Good bye Bruce, me personally are glad you are gone!

I'm glad you posted this and I was aware of his crap resume. Arians is proof that, you don't always need to perform to hold onto a job. We won despite that dumbass. Maybe he can become a weather man now ?

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 11:53 AM
I've always defended BA because I think he was unfairly blamed after close wins or losses and even when we blew a team out fans would give backhanded complements.

I hated the bubble screen to Hines, lack of Redman and predictable formations... not sure about the formations but I'll take fans word on that one because I don't focus on that as much.

When you look at Arians history it really does make you scratch your head at why he was hated so much. My theory though is Ben is the reason Arians is hated so much. Steeper fans have a history of bashing the QB (trust me, I know) but since Ben is our best player fans can't brig themselves to bash him so all the hate goes to the OC. No one says Ben refuses to throw underneath, it's Arians who refuses even though he is on the sideline and guys are open underneath.

Every run is a RUTM even though it's been proven that half the runs aren't in that area when someone went back with a fine toothed comb and showed the play selection. They complained about TOP but when showed stats it wasn't any worse ten before. When the D collapsed in the 4th quarter BA was blamed because Lebeau is a legend.

Besides BA never getting a HC gig there isn't much to complain about when you take off the hate glasses and look at our team with an unbiased eye. I'm not saying BA was perfect but too many times fans bashed him out of laziness and didn't have facts to back it up. The OL was horrible, awful... and often injured.

When you look at where we spend our money... the idea that we will have a #1 D and a top 5 offense is ludicrous. Look at NO, NE and GB. These are the teams we compare ours to when it comes to production on offense but look at their D? In 2009 Troy complained that we were scoring too fast. WTF? Everyone wanted passing, less running... as soon as we did it fans wanted more running and less passing. WTF?

We ha BA for 5 years... reached 2 SB's and won one. But that wasn't enough... I get t, we are supposed to win every year but c'mon. WTF? Now some people use Ben as the excuse or the D as the reason we won. The next OC will have the same luxuries and why should that be held against him?

If we jump to 5th in scoring and run through the league like GB and win a SB I think BA bashers will be able to point to concrete evidence. Until that happens, BA bashers may be setting themselves up to look like the biggest, idiotic, ungrateful whiners in the history of football. It's easy to talk about what an OC should do after a game is over...

NorthCoast
01-22-2012, 12:12 PM
I've always defended BA because I think he was unfairly blamed after close wins or losses and even when we blew a team out fans would give backhanded complements.

I hated the bubble screen to Hines, lack of Redman and predictable formations... not sure about the formations but I'll take fans word on that one because I don't focus on that as much.

When you look at Arians history it really does make you scratch your head at why he was hated so much. My theory though is Ben is the reason Arians is hated so much. Steeper fans have a history of bashing the QB (trust me, I know) but since Ben is our best player fans can't brig themselves to bash him so all the hate goes to the OC. No one says Ben refuses to throw underneath, it's Arians who refuses even though he is on the sideline and guys are open underneath.

Every run is a RUTM even though it's been proven that half the runs aren't in that area when someone went back with a fine toothed comb and showed the play selection. They complained about TOP but when showed stats it wasn't any worse ten before. When the D collapsed in the 4th quarter BA was blamed because Lebeau is a legend.

Besides BA never getting a HC gig there isn't much to complain about when you take off the hate glasses and look at our team with an unbiased eye. I'm not saying BA was perfect but too many times fans bashed him out of laziness and didn't have facts to back it up. The OL was horrible, awful... and often injured.

When you look at where we spend our money... the idea that we will have a #1 D and a top 5 offense is ludicrous. Look at NO, NE and GB. These are the teams we compare ours to when it comes to production on offense but look at their D? In 2009 Troy complained that we were scoring too fast. WTF? Everyone wanted passing, less running... as soon as we did it fans wanted more running and less passing. WTF?

We ha BA for 5 years... reached 2 SB's and won one. But that wasn't enough... I get t, we are supposed to win every year but c'mon. WTF? Now some people use Ben as the excuse or the D as the reason we won. The next OC will have the same luxuries and why should that be held against him?

If we jump to 5th in scoring and run through the league like GB and win a SB I think BA bashers will be able to point to concrete evidence. Until that happens, BA bashers may be setting themselves up to look like the biggest, idiotic, ungrateful whiners in the history of football. It's easy to talk about what an OC should do after a game is over...

felt, i agree with you on many things, but not this one. We won SBs more because of great defenses, not great offenses. Sure a great offensive game here or there, but nobody saw us as a juggernaut.

Bottomline, I guess you are OK with an average offense, because that is mostly what we got with BA. The fact is, great coaching makes players better than they are. BA was an average coach who made average players look average. We have great talent at skill positions but he was incapable of putting it all together.

We will see what good coaching can do today. NE's defense has been putrid the entire season. Let's see if Baltimore scores more than 20 on them.... That will tell me that a great coach (Belichik) actually had a game plan that put average players into a good scheme to win.

MCHammer
01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't want to trash the guy just because he is gone, but count me among those who believe that BA was holding this team back.

Much of the blame, in fairness, has to go to Tomlin since he was ultimately in charge and let many of these issues continue - but there were various issues that should have been addressed that were allowed to go on and on and on.

Just to name a few obvious ones: leaving in Ben and other starters late in games that were already won or hopelessly lost for no reason whatsoever other than to risk injury; bad clock management; having a game "plan" that consistently degenerated into Ben taking random shots downfield like somebody playing a playstation game rather than trying to improve down and distance to move the chains.

I could go on, but I don't want to trash BA. I just think he hit the jackpot here in Pittsburgh and for the most part relied on Ben to win with his athleticism (no wonder Ben loves him) and did not bring enough to the table. We had a team that could have matched the 1970's dynasty. Instead we got 2. That's not too shabby, but I feel we underachieved with this team's core group and BA was a significant reason why. I think that window is now closed so we'll never know.

I would also make one last note. It's easy to blame injuries on some of this team's problems - particularly the nightmare offensive line scenarios we have been forced to overcome. But BA has also played a role in drafting/keeping players on the roster that contributed to some of our problems - (the hybrid tightend/full back obsession comes to mind). The long extended nature of so many of our plays also can lead to injuries. Longer plays = more chance for injury, particularly on the offensive line. Just saying.

I wish BA the best. It will be interesting to see how this team responds and whether BA remains "retired" or ends up plying his wares elsewhere relatively soon.

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
felt, i agree with you on many things, but not this one. We won SBs more because of great defenses, not great offenses. Sure a great offensive game here or there, but nobody saw us as a juggernaut.

Bottomline, I guess you are OK with an average offense, because that is mostly what we got with BA. The fact is, great coaching makes players better than they are. BA was an average coach who made average players look average. We have great talent at skill positions but he was incapable of putting it all together.

We will see what good coaching can do today. NE's defense has been putrid the entire season. Let's see if Baltimore scores more than 20 on them.... That will tell me that a great coach (Belichik) actually had a game plan that put average players into a good scheme to win.

I'm OK with an average offense because that's what I think we have talent wise when you look at our O without the Steeler shades on.

We've always been D oriented and I don't mind when we win SB's due to the D. That's our identity.

Fans see Ben as this elite QB who is capable of putting up Brees, Brady type stats but that isn't his skill set. Ben's skill set has always been extending plays and getting big gains once a play breaks down. When you look back at his years with Whiz it was never 400 yard games with stats out the whazzooo... it was 15 to 20 completions, 190 to 225 ypg with a TD or 2 and milking the clock with Bettis and an OL that could pound guys with the run.

BA made Nate Washington look awesome.. put Sweed in a position to look awesome, he made Wallace look awesome... Redman looks awesome... We beat the brakes off a bad Rams team with Batch and probably would have been in a much closer game with Ben. My point is.... given our OL, I think BA did a pretty good job over the 5 years he was here. Sure we didn't score 50 points a game but that's the great thing about a great D. WE don't have to... yet somehow losing in the playoffs proves we aren't doing enough on offense. Then we watch 3 high powered offenses lose in the playoffs... not sure if the problems on O are as bad as some make it out to be.

...and I don't think Baltimore's game vs the Pats will tell much. Brady doesn't play the way Ben does... once hit he tends to get rattled but if he is on his game the ball is out quick.

Fans of Ben always point at other QB's and laugh at how wimpy they are for avoiding sack or "playing scared" but they also envy the production they have. Those awesome plays by Ben happen about once or twice every few games.... the rest of the time it results in a drive killing sack, a chinese fire drill for a 5 yard gain or a chinese fire drill for a long incompletion.

BA couldn't take what's there because most of the time it was Ben's decision to do one or the other and we all know Ben likes going deep.

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
I just think he hit the jackpot here in Pittsburgh and for the most part relied on Ben to win with his athleticism (no wonder Ben loves him) and did not bring enough to the table. We had a team that could have matched the 1970's dynasty. Instead we got 2. That's not too shabby, but I feel we underachieved with this team's core group and BA was a significant reason why. I think that window is now closed so we'll never know.

Every OC with an elite QB relies on their talent...

2 SB appearances in 5 years isn't bad in this new NFL.

Flasteel
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
I just think he hit the jackpot here in Pittsburgh and for the most part relied on Ben to win with his athleticism (no wonder Ben loves him) and did not bring enough to the table. We had a team that could have matched the 1970's dynasty. Instead we got 2. That's not too shabby, but I feel we underachieved with this team's core group and BA was a significant reason why. I think that window is now closed so we'll never know.

So in back-to-back posts, you imply Ben is not elite, then call him Elite. Nice flip-flopping Dizz. But hey...whatever it takes to keep that hard-on you still have for Arians. :D

If you think we have only average talent on offense, you are seriously delusional my friend. All but the most rabid Steeler-haters would agree we have an elite quarterback. Not only did two of our receivers make the Pro Bowl, but most people would easily agree that our WR corps is among the top 5 in the league...if not one of the two best. We have a former number one pick and a pretty decent starting RB in Mendenhall and he may wind up losing his job to Redman. Regardless...a pretty good 1-2 punch. Then we have the TE's with Heath and an up and coming Saunders.

The only place your argument is applicable is the offensive line. Even there we have an All-Pro center and a young, talented 2nd round pick, who is ready to step in as the LT of the future.

Talent-wise, I want you to name me 5 teams that are this loaded on offense. You are implying that there are somewhere between 12 and 16 teams who have it better (or whatever your definition of average in a 32-team league is).

As usual, a totally clumsy and non-sensical attempt to defend your position to the bitter end. Get over it...he's gone. :tt2

Steelhere10
01-22-2012, 02:58 PM
LOL... Nice

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 03:02 PM

So in back-to-back posts, you imply Ben is not elite, then call him Elite. Nice flip-flopping Dizz. But hey...whatever it takes to keep that hard-on you still have for Arians. :D

If you think we have only average talent on offense, you are seriously delusional my friend. All but the most rabid Steeler-haters would agree we have an elite quarterback. Not only did two of our receivers make the Pro Bowl, but most people would easily agree that our WR corps is among the top 5 in the league...if not one of the two best. We have a former number one pick and a pretty decent starting RB in Mendenhall and he may wind up losing his job to Redman. Regardless...a pretty good 1-2 punch. Then we have the TE's with Heath and an up and coming Saunders.

The only place your argument is applicable is the offensive line. Even there we have an All-Pro center and a young, talented 2nd round pick, who is ready to step in as the LT of the future.

Talent-wise, I want you to name me 5 teams that are this loaded on offense. You are implying that there are somewhere between 12 and 16 teams who have it better (or whatever your definition of average in a 32-team league is).

As usual, a totally clumsy and non-sensical attempt to defend your position to the bitter end. Get over it...he's gone. :tt2

when did I say Ben wasn't elite? I said he isn't elite like Brees and Brady in putting up stats... that isn't his skill set. That isn't saying Ben isn't elite.. just saying he isn't on Brees and Brady's level when it comes to passing stats. Ben carving up D's for 385 with 4 TD's isn't the norm. I think you read what you wanted to read instead of reading what I wrote.

As far as our WR's and TE vs the rest of the league?

The Lions have better weapons...
GB has better weapons...
NO has better weapons...
Patriots have better weapons... they essentially use their TE's as WR's and Welker is a machine.
Giants have better weapons...
49ers have better weapons...
Raves have better weapons...
Philly has better weapons... Jackson is a Wallace type, doesn't matter who the second WR or TE is because their RB's are 3 times as good as ours.
Houston has better weapons...
ATL has better weapons...

We have a top 5ish QB but we don't have top 5 talent across the board.

Turn on any game and outside of Wallace's speed you see WR's like AB and Sanders on every team in the league but somehow they are getting HOF status because they are Steelers. Heath is still decent but he isn't running with Davis, Gonzalez, Pettigrew, Gates, Hernandez, Gradowski or Graham...

I'm OK with BA leaving... it's been 5 years and we won a nice amount of games. I'm just curious how fans will react once our new OC gets here and doesn't put up 40 points consistently. Like I said earlier.. if we come out smashing D's then it will prove how bad BA was....

Steelhere10
01-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Green Bay
New Orleans
And maybe Houston. But the rest is exaggeration at best. 9ers, Ravens, Lions come on man!

Steelhere10
01-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Maybe the Giants, but I think talent is even on that one.