PDA

View Full Version : Arians Shown the Door (?)

Jooser
01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Per PFT....

Arians’ departure a shell game of semantics

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2012, 1:09 PM EST

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has retired. Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network reports that the retirement occurred after the Steelers told Arians that his contract would not be renewed.

But the same source who tells LaCanfora that Arians was told his contract wouldn’t be renewed told LaCanfora that Arians wasn’t fired.

It’s a matter of semantics. When an employee under contract has that contract expire and the employer tells the employee that contract won’t be renewed, the employee necessarily has been . . . wait for it . . . fired. It happened to Mike Tice in Minnesota six years ago, and it has happened to countless other head coaches and assistant coaches whose contracts end along with their employment.

Millions of Americans show up for work every day without contracts for employment. They’re called “at-will” employees, which means that the relationship continues only as long as both sides want it to continue. And if/when the employer decides not to continue the relationship, the employee has been, yes, fired.

But the story gets even more interesting. Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette explains that coach Mike Tomlin had told Arians on multiple occasions that Tomlin wanted Arians to return in 2012, and that Arians had told others he had planned to be back. Citing unnamed sources, Dulac says that the decision came from someone higher in the organization than Tomlin, even though owner Art Rooney II said on WDVE radio before Friday’s retirement announcement that Arians’ status was “really Mike’s decision.”

If Tomlin was indeed trumped, it’s at least the second time this year that a Tomlin decision was vetoed by someone else in the organization. Tomlin, as others have reported and as PFT has learned, led running back Tiki Barber to believe that the Steelers would sign him — and Tomlin ultimately was prevented from doing so.

The bigger question will be whether and to what extent this move adversely affects the relationship between the Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Per Dulac, Roethlisberger is upset that Arians won’t be back.

Roethlisberger’s discontent also could arise at least in part from the fact that, unlike two years ago, he was unable to save Arians’ job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... semantics/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/21/arians-departure-a-shell-game-of-semantics/)

Whatever the case may be...I'm glad someone in the organization stepped up and made the right decision....

-Joos

steelz09
01-21-2012, 09:13 PM
tomlin doesn't have the balls to make these decisions... i think the rooneys had a say in the termination of the arinas lovefest

Jooser
01-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I think the organization as a whole is pulling the reigns in on Ben and Tomlin. They're paying 100 million dollars to a QB that isn't going to last much longer in this gunslinger style of offense. I believe we're going to see more of the old power running game and more short, quick passing options in the future in order to preserve Ben's health. I agree with those who say let Ben be Ben...to a certain extent. I think the whole Arians/Ben experiment has gone a little awry and this is a signal being sent to Ben and MT that the owners have certain expectations and that the buck ultimately stops with them. I think the move is a couple of seasons too late. Ben loves Arians because he can pretty much do whatever he wants without much interference by the coaching staff. The break up is now on!

Starlifter
01-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I think it's instilling a little more discipline into the coaches. Ben needs a boss, not a friend. sometimes we do our best work when we're spurred on by someone we don't like. That's not to say that's what will happen - but I've felt over the last couple of years those two were far too cozy. Plays would break down and ben would save them - but I was hoping for BA to get all up in his face about not letting the play break down in the first place.

Ben is a great QB. He may be the greatest street ball QB ever.

I only want street ball as a last resort, not as Bill Cowher said, what the offense is based off.

Captain Lemming
01-21-2012, 11:08 PM
I think it's instilling a little more discipline into the coaches. Ben needs a boss, not a friend. sometimes we do our best work when we're spurred on by someone we don't like.

Nah, that never works......

http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/07/fc/8c20_35.JPG

DukieBoy
01-22-2012, 04:56 PM
The door they showed Arians had a bubble screen on it.

feltdizz
01-22-2012, 05:13 PM
The door they showed Arians had a bubble screen on it.

:lol:

StarSpangledSteeler
01-22-2012, 05:31 PM
I think the organization as a whole is pulling the reigns in on Ben and Tomlin. They're paying 100 million dollars to a QB that isn't going to last much longer in this gunslinger style of offense. I believe we're going to see more of the old power running game and more short, quick passing options in the future in order to preserve Ben's health. I agree with those who say let Ben be Ben...to a certain extent. I think the whole Arians/Ben experiment has gone a little awry and this is a signal being sent to Ben and MT that the owners have certain expectations and that the buck ultimately stops with them. I think the move is a couple of seasons too late. Ben loves Arians because he can pretty much do whatever he wants without much interference by the coaching staff. The break up is now on!

I agree with everything you just said. Well done.

DukieBoy
01-22-2012, 05:35 PM

I agree with everything you just said. Well done.

x2