PDA

View Full Version : RuthlessBurgher's Mock 2.0 (with EPIC trades that are BEAST)

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2012, 04:08 PM
A week ago, I debuted my first mock draft of the season (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20047)
one in which we made each of our picks at the 24th spot in each of the 7 rounds:

1. WR Alshon Jeffrey 6'4" 229 lbs. South Carolina
2. NT Alameda Ta'Amu 6'3" 337 lbs. Washington
3. OT Levy Adcock 6'5" 322 lbs. Oklahoma State
4. OG Amini Silatolu 6'3" 324 lbs. Midwestern State
5. ILB Mychal Kendricks 5'11" 240 lbs. California
6. FS Blake Gideon 6'0" 205 lbs. Texas
7. DE Ryan Van Bergen 6'6" 288 lbs. Michigan

My second mock, with an entirely new cast of characters, gives an idea of where we might go if we made some aggressive trade decisions. I mentioned in my last mock that my "sure-fire, can't miss, wish we could have him prospect" for the 2012 draft was Stanford guard David DeCastro (and guard happens to be our biggest overall team need). This draft is assuming that DeCastro is available in the middle of round 1 (in the past couple of drafts, top interior o-lineman came off the board in the area...Mike Pouncey at #15 last year, and Mike Iupati at #17 and Maurkice Pouncey at #18 the year before that), and that we make the aggressive move to go up and fill our biggest need with the best player at that position in the draft (like we have done in the past, trading up for Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes).

I'm hoping the Dallas Cowboys, a logical landing spot for DeCastro at #14 because of their recent o-line struggles, are tempted instead to improve their sorry secondary with an elite-level talent like Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick, who will likely fall out of the top 10 following a recent arrest for marijuana possession (the Cowboys don't seem to have a huge problem with guys like this, since they brought in Pac Man Jones after all of his problems in Tennessee, and once employed NFL drug kingpins Sam Hurd and Nate Newton).

I'm also hoping that the Jets, whose biggest need (after they replace Mark Sanchez with Peyton Manning once the Colts refuse to pay him the $28 million bonus he is due) may be a top notch pass rusher. If Courtney Upshaw is off the board, they may welcome the opportunity to move back from #16 to #24 and taking Illinois' Whitney Mercilus or USC's Nick Perry instead, while also picking up a 2nd round pick. Here is the trade:

Steelers trade picks 1.24 (740) + 2.56 (340) = 1080 points total
to Jets for picks 1.16 (1000) + 4.108 (78) = 1078 points total

1.16 OG David DeCastro 6'5" 312 lbs. Stanford

http://nflsfuture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/david-decastro-opod-324372.jpg

An excellent pass blocker and dominant run blocker who is able to pull extremely well and take out players on the second level. The complete package for an interior lineman. Starts from day 1, and would be a massive upgrade from Chris Kemoeatu from the very beginning. Some may think the price we had to pay to move up is too steep, but not if we get a young Alan Faneca. Gilbert-DeCastro-Pouncey would give us the best left side of our line since Smith-Faneca-Hartings.

3.88 WR Marvin McNutt 6'4" 215 lbs. Iowa

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Orange+Bowl+Iowa+v+Georgia+Tech+5Lk7mJNzocol.jpg

Takes the place of Hines Ward as our possession receiver of the future, while also adding the dimension of giving us a big target to throw to in the red zone, where our offense has been sputtering of late. Plus, it would be cool for a guy who wore a black and gold #7 in college to be catching passes from the guy who wears a black and gold #7 in the pros. We've had success drafting WR's in the 3rd round recently (Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders) as well as in the past (Hines Ward).

Another trade to announce!
Steelers trade picks 4.108 (78) + 5.162 (30.6) = 108.6 points total
to Vikings for pick 4.98 (108) up 10 slots from mid 4th to early 4th

4.98 DE Derek Wolfe 6'5" 302 lbs. Cincinnati

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/306/574/dwcb_original.jpg?1326836606

If Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, and Casey Hampton are all gone next year, and they move Ziggy Hood inside to NT get their best starting threesome along the d-line (Keisel-Hood-Heyward), they'll need some solid depth at 3-4 DE. Steve McLendon has shown the ability to be a solid rotational NT for us already, but if Ziggy is starting NT, the only depth we would have behind Heyward and Keisel would be Corbin Bryant and Al Woods, and neither guy has proven anything to this point. That is why I felt it was worth it to sacrifice our 5th round pick in order to move up from the middle of the 4th round (the pick we acquired from the Jets in the DeCastro trade) into the very early portion of round 4 (we have a history of trading with the Vikings in the past; give up our 2nd for two 3rd rounders in 2006...unfortunately, that wasn't one of the best trades for either team since they got Tarvaris Jackson and we got Anthony Smith and Willie Reid).

4.120 OG Brandon Brooks 6'5" 353 lbs. Miami, OH

http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/uploads/5/6/9/8/5698103/970188305.jpg?594

With DeCastro now penciled in as our dominant LG for the next decade, we could really use a true road grader to upgrade our RG spot as well. Enter Brooks, who may carry his 350+ pounds worth of bulk better than anyone (how someone can be that large without appearing flabby whatsoever is almost mind-boggling). Think Ngata is going to able to gash through an interior line consisting of DeCastro, Pouncey, and Brooks like he did when we had guys like Ramon Foster, Trai Essex, Doug Legursky, or Chris Kemoeatu in there instead?

6.184 NT Akiem Hicks 6'5" 324 lbs. Regina

http://www.footballcanada.com/Portals/0/news%20story%20images/Hicks8-23-2010.jpg

A former LSU recruit who ended up attending college in the province of Saskatchewan in Canada instead. Has displayed remarkable quickness for a man of his size. An intriguing late round project who may need a little bit of development before he is ready for prime time, but seems to possess a skill set that John Mitchell should be able to work with and mold into a useful piece of our d-line rotation eventually.

7.216 ILB Korey Williams 6'1" 242 lbs. So. Miss

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/korey-williamsjpg-827d63da180a0189_large.jpg

A solid player on the college level who would have likely have projected higher in the draft if not for injury issues (has a history of broken jaw, a sports hernia, and most recently, an ACL tear which ended his senior season after only 4 games). If fully recovered from his knee injury, he could provide valuable depth at inside back if James Farrior and/or Larry Foote are not brought back.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Nice work. I like the positions you address.

focosteeler
01-21-2012, 05:24 PM
If we could get your second mock I would have no complaints at all

MeetJoeGreene
01-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Dude.. EPIC mock draft! That is BEAST!

TallyStiller
01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
You had me at DeCastro...

Dee Dub
01-23-2012, 12:38 AM
I like this very much Ruthless. I would be very happy if the Steelers draft went down with this. I have been a big DeCastro fan for awhile and I really love McNuttt. Also I have read several times that Brandon Brooks was very impressive down at the East West practices this past week (very strong and very athletic for his size).

Only thinkg I would like more is to get McNutt in round 4..and if by some chance he isnt there then I would go with WR Juron Criner from Arizona.

Well done Ruthless. This is a great draft.

Dee Dub
01-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Here some info on Brandon Brooks performance during the week...

10) OG BRANDON BROOKS, MIAMI (Ohio): This big guy was the most consistent player along the offensive line for either team. He may get a bit lazy at times, but he is a natural it on the interior upfront. Brooks is absolutely huge at over 350 pounds and is effective blocking for both the run and the pass.

http://www.gbnreport.com/shrinereport.html

phillyesq
01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I really like your approach in this draft, Ruthless. This would seem to solidify the the OG spots, give us a big WR and provide nice depth on the DL.

It does not address all of the Steelers needs (nor would it be possible to do so) but improving in the trenches should have a ripple effect on both sides of the ball.

NW Steeler
01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Me likey! Fortify the lines!!!

steelblood
01-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Well, I like this draft much better than your first (even if it does depend on some pretty big "what ifs"). Nice job. As you can see from my mock in my signature, I like Brandon Brooks and Derek Wolfe as well. I live in SW Ohio and have watched a lot of them (especially Wolfe). My only criticism is that I don't see Wolfe lasting into the 4th round. It is possible, but he is a playmaker who consistently pressures the QB and stops the run. With his size, motor, and athleticism, he will appeal to 4-3 and 3-4 teams. Unless, he tests poorly at the combine, I believe he is a second round pick. But, at this stage, anything is possible.

DeCastro would be fantastic and could give us two pro bowl caliber OL for the next three years (at least). He is ready to start now and is likely a quick study since he went to Stanford.

I've always liked McNutt. I do think he will struggle to separate some in the NFL, but as a complimentary receiver/red zone threat, he could be fantastic.

When I see Regina and think of someone with a Canadian accent pronouncing it to rhyme with a part of the female body, it always makes me chuckle. You get extra points for that!

On a scale of 1 to 7 with 4 being the highest and 3 being the lowest, I give this a 5.1!

Slapstick
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
When I see Regina and think of someone with a Canadian accent pronouncing it to rhyme with a part of the female body, it always makes me chuckle. You get extra points for that!

Regina's most famous resident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Assman

grotonsteel
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Nice draft. :Clap

I like the big uglies drafted especially on the O-line. I also like the tall physical WR pick in Rd 3.