PDA

View Full Version : Probably just got a lot harder to hire Tom Clements

BigRob
01-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I know this is a name high on a lot of people's list. But I think it just got harder to hire him as our OC...

Dolphins hire Joe Philbin as head coach

Joe Philbin is the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins made the decision to hire Philbin as their next coach today, multiple media outlets reported late Friday afternoon.

Philbin had been the Packers’ offensive coordinator, and his personal story overshadowed football when his son died last week. After mourning his son during the week, Philbin was there with his team at Lambeau Field on Sunday.

Now Philbin takes over a Dolphins franchise that has major question marks, particularly at quarterback. But there’s no question that Philbin is a coach who knows how to implement a strong passing game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ead-coach/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/dolphins-hire-joe-philbin-as-head-coach/)

I would say he has a good shot at getting promoted in Green Bay, and that to me would be a more attractive OC job than here. Sorry that is just the truth.

ikestops85
01-20-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't know if that's really true that GB would be more attractive. Wouldn't GBs OC be a title only? Doesn't Mike McCarthy call all the plays? Clements might want a job where he really is the Offensive Coordinator

BigRob
01-20-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't know if that's really true that GB would be more attractive. Wouldn't GBs OC be a title only? Doesn't Mike McCarthy call all the plays? Clements might want a job where he really is the Offensive Coordinator

Uhh, didn't seem to hurt Philbin any, considering he WAS the Green Bay OC and parlayed that into a head coaching job. Just sayin. :shock:

ikestops85
01-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Uhh, didn't seem to hurt Philbin any, considering he WAS the Green Bay OC and parlayed that into a head coaching job. Just sayin. :shock:

I'm not saying it would hurt Clements. I'm saying that if Clements has a choice he might want to choose the Steelers where he would be more than a figurehead.

BigRob
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM

I'm not saying it would hurt Clements. I'm saying that if Clements has a choice he might want to choose the Steelers where he would be more than a figurehead.

He would be better off staying where he has been for five years and where he it has now been proven he can become a HC if he wants, i.e. Philbin.

Plus why wouldn't you want to continue working with a QB in Rodgers that will listen to you, rather than a QB that has shown he is a Big A** baby when he doesn't get his way.

Keyplay1
01-24-2012, 03:33 AM
Someone said: "I'm not saying it would hurt Clements. I'm saying that if Clements has a choice he might want to choose the Steelers where he would be more than a figurehead"
posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=20113# (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=20113#)
Talk about well kept secrets. I did not even know GB had an OC. Philbin???? and now this guy is the coach of the Miami Dolphins. LOL I think! I don't recall reading anything about Parcells having a mental breakdown. Is he still there in Miami? Hmmm! Maybe it happened when he was down there in Dallas with Jerry Jones. :D :D posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=20113# (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=20113#)

Okay, I admit I'm not up on this kind of stuff but I do remember Clements being here for sure. I have probably only posted 4 or 5 times since 2004 on the OC topic.

1. Then as much as I respected and admired Whiz I was hoping the Steelers kept TC promoting him from QB coach to OC. But, Mularkey took him and they shuffled off to Buffalo.

2. In 2007 it seemed like a logical move to bring him back but Arians was given the job.

3. Couple months ago I simply posted that BA had been the OC longer than any other OC since the 90's at least for sure. "The Steelers will probably make a change"

4. Now, it's probably too late.[Not only the possibility of the GB promotion--BUT]

The Steelers have had an awful lot of success since 2004. Not going to be easy to continue this trend. Some people may think this could be a franchise in decline. They are probably wrong but maybe some coaches would actually not prefer coming here.

Interesting to see what the Steelers will do. Me, I would outbid GB for his services.

Oh, one other thing. There are threads all over the place on this OC topic. Not all are favorable for any one candidate. I saw this somewhere.

"Clements? If he wasn't a Yinzer no one would care about him. He ran two NFL offenses in his career, they ranked 25th and 28th."

This was true. But the poster did not mention that TC improved the Bills offense from #30 overall in 2003 to #25 in 2004. Rushing improved from 21 to 13. Passing went from 28-27. Sacks went down from 51 to 38. and the team record went from 6-11 to 9-7. The guy forgot to mention any of that.