PDA

View Full Version : What would you think if Tomlin hired Jim Caldwell as OC?

BigRob
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Jim Wexell is putting Jim Caldwell out there as a likely name for OC. Why?

Through pure speculation and good deductive reasoning.

Wexell knows that Tomlin and Caldwell are good friends. Tomlin says that he expects continuity. It had widely been reported that Arians wanted to come back.

All of the sudden Caldwell is fired and Arians retires. Hmmmm. :?

Now for my pure speculation. If Tomlin hires Caldwell or Fichtner, he is calling this shot and is the one who pushed Arians out.

If the Steelers hire someone outside of the organization, then I would expect this is all Rooney/Colbert.

MeetJoeGreene
01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I would rather hire Peyton Manning as an OC if he retires.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I assume it will be Caldwell or Hue Jackson.

steelblood
01-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Wexell knows that Tomlin and Caldwell are good friends. Tomlin says that he expects continuity. It had widely been reported that Arians wanted to come back.

Are you saying Tomlin forced Arians to retire? That is unlikely.

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Now for my pure speculation. If Tomlin hires Caldwell or Fichtner, he is calling this shot and is the one who pushed Arians out.

If the Steelers hire someone outside of the organization, then I would expect this is all Rooney/Colbert.

Tomlin was hired by the Rooneys... I have no idea why we need to analyze the chain of command.

When it comes to Jim Caldwell I'm not a fan. My only reason for not wanting him is due to the Colts without Peyton. Hot garbage.

I'm really not a fan of OC's who have elite QB's because its hard to get a true sense of how good they are. When I see the back up putting up numbers like Matt Flynn you get a better sense of how the offense works with X's and O's.

Anyone have info on Caldwells background outside of Indy? If it was TB that doesn't make me feel any better. They were all D

BradshawsHairdresser
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
This article says he wouldn't be a good fit as OC in KC:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1028 ... c-position (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1028189-kansas-city-chiefs-why-team-shouldnt-hire-jim-caldwell-to-fill-oc-position)

I think I'd rather we get someone else.

meninblack
01-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Caldwell's other extensive coaching experience was as the head coach at Wake Forest where he was a disaster. As a Wake alum, I remember, because I was there!

Just say no to Caldwell. Hire Peyton Manning in a heartbeat if his playing days are done.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Exactly. He was the de facto OC while he was the QB.

fordfixer
01-22-2012, 01:11 AM

Exactly. He was the de facto OC while he was the QB.
Peyton Didn't do so well coaching from the sidelines this last season

Mister Pittsburgh
01-22-2012, 07:47 AM
No thanks. His team was pathetic without Manning. If Tomlin hired him I don't think anyone could argue he was the best option out there.

papillon
01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I would think it would be a bad hire, he took a team that lost one player and won two games, just sayin...

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
01-22-2012, 05:36 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Not saying Jim Caldwell will or should get the #steelers OC job, but do feel he is who Tomlin wants.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1kDoEB0s1 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1kDoEB0s1)

Snatch98
01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm no Jim Caldwell fan. I'd say that I'm indifferent on the guy. However what I can say and will say is this, the colts DID not do a good job of reloading that team through the draft. Everyone has known for a long time that if Manning ever went down the Colts were going to be in trouble. You saw Caldwell get fired but the biggest firing wasn't Caldwell it was Polian. I think Caldwell got the axe just to purge the system for the fan base if you ask me. They haven't done a good job drafting and lived and died with Peyton. He WAS that team. I don't put that on Caldwell, i put that on Polian.

ikestops85
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Caldwell may have put in the Colts offensive system but Manning is the one that made it work. I don't think Caldwell would be an upgrade over Arians. I want us to select someone who is fresh and dynamic ... that isn't set in his ways and will adjust to the personnel we have.

Chadman
01-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm no Jim Caldwell fan. I'd say that I'm indifferent on the guy. However what I can say and will say is this, the colts DID not do a good job of reloading that team through the draft. Everyone has known for a long time that if Manning ever went down the Colts were going to be in trouble. You saw Caldwell get fired but the biggest firing wasn't Caldwell it was Polian. I think Caldwell got the axe just to purge the system for the fan base if you ask me. They haven't done a good job drafting and lived and died with Peyton. He WAS that team. I don't put that on Caldwell, i put that on Polian.

:Clap Well said. The Colts are a team waiting to fail- so much is invested in Manning that yes, if he goes down- there is no coming back.

If Caldwell is the new OC, may as well trade Mendy now & use 3 nuffies as RB's because they'll be just as effective in a Caldwell offense.

Not to say it won't work, particularly if he styles it to fit Ben, but the team will be further from balanced than ever before.

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2012, 02:57 PM
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Just got tip that Tomlin had breakfast at Omni William Penn this morning with Jim Caldwell. Source told me "95 percent sure" it was Caldwell

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... /steelers/ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/)

papillon
01-28-2012, 05:36 PM
This would be disappointing if the Steelers hire Caldwell. The fans didn't like the fact or opinion that Arians didn't adjust, well, you want to talk about not adjusting, the Colts klose Mannig and try running the same offense with Painter and whoever else they tried, not happening.

Pappy

pick6
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Don't want him

Slapstick
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Sometimes, coaches make good (or great) coordinators when they weren't great head coaches...

Like, hmmm, I don't know...

LeBeau?

DukieBoy
01-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Pass on Caldwell. Bubble-screen him.

NorthCoast
01-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Caldwell may have put in the Colts offensive system but Manning is the one that made it work. I don't think Caldwell would be an upgrade over Arians. I want us to select someone who is fresh and dynamic ... that isn't set in his ways and will adjust to the personnel we have.

Without Manning the Colts scored just over 15 pts/gm and Caldwell was never able to improve that as the season wore on. Is this really what we want in an OC?

Chucktownsteeler
01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
To answer the question posed on the thread:

"What would you think if Tomlin hired Jim Caldwell as OC?"

Answer:

We are screwed.

ChucktownSteeler

:2c

Oviedo
01-29-2012, 08:12 PM
What would I think?

I would think a guy with more experience in the NFL and a lot smarter than internet posters made a decision that he felt good about and the senior management of the best organization in the NFL agreed.

phillyesq
01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
What would I think?

I would think a guy with more experience in the NFL and a lot smarter than internet posters made a decision that he felt good about and the senior management of the best organization in the NFL agreed.

The same organization that keeps on a defensive coordinator with an antiquated defense who the game has passed by? :stirpot

Oviedo
01-29-2012, 08:29 PM
What would I think?

The same organization that keeps on a defensive coordinator with an antiquated defense who the game has passed by? :stirpot

Correct and it happens because theirs are the only opinions that matter. All the rest is just us killing time with virtual friends.