PDA

View Full Version : It's official Bruce is out.

Steelhere10
01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
On steelersd____.com

Steeler Expat
01-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Official Steelers Facebook:

The Pittsburgh Steelers
Statement by Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin on the Retirement of Bruce Arians

"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching. I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team’s offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

drprwnap
01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Also posted on KDKA at the top of their website! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :Beer :Beer :D

Eddie Spaghetti
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
great way to start a weekend!!!!!

anger 82&95
01-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Hello fullback?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2012, 12:29 PM
On twitter too from Bouchette.

Steelhere10
01-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Sweet....
Do you guys think it is retire or fire ?

focosteeler
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Hello fullback?

Everyone will have to change their mock drafts!!
:D.
:tt2

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Bring in Tom Clements for an interview!!!!

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Don't get too hyped on Clements...

If Philbin gets the HC job in Miami, Clements will likely become the OC in Green Bay...

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Sweet....

Those who hated BA will claim he was fired regardless of the reports.

I think it was retire...

didn't he think about retiring last year?

SteelBucks
01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Sweet....

Probably strongly encouraged to retire. Either way, he wasn't going to be back.

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
If Fichtner isn't the guy, I really think Clyde Cristiansen is a good candidate...

It's funny, but in addition to working with Tomlin in Tampa, he also worked for Bruce Arians when he was the HC at Temple...

Steelers>NFL
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Music to my ears FINALLY. The song has gone from the intro The Hellion to Electric Eye.
This is GREAT news! We celebrate today. And wait for the next OC tomorrow.

ikestops85
01-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure whether Christmas came early or late this year ... :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Oh Sh!t ... we could get someone worse :shock:

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM

If Philbin gets the HC job in Miami, Clements will likely become the OC in Green Bay...
Maybe....or Maybe he liked his time he had in Pittsburgh before and wouldn't mind living here again and thinks we have a lot of great options on the offense. Maybe he hates Green Bay.....

ikestops85
01-20-2012, 12:50 PM

Maybe....or Maybe he liked his time he had in Pittsburgh before and wouldn't mind living here again and thinks we have a lot of great options on the offense. Maybe he hates Green Bay.....

Yes, I'm sure most potential OCs would hate the idea of working with Aaron Rogers, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and the rest of the incompetent GB receivers. :moon

SteelBucks
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I'd prefer Clements but I think they'll stay in house.

Steelhere10
01-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Dulac was just on the radio, and he made it sound like Bruce was forced out my Art. But was saying that Tomlin could have saved his job if he really wanted him back.

Steelgal
01-20-2012, 12:55 PM
GREAT news!!!!!

If they really want to change it up, they need to hire from the outside, but my gut tells me they won't. Let's just hope if they stay within, it won't be the same thing we saw the past few seasons.

Wonder if Ben and Fitchner will have more to talk about over their probowl trip, than originally planned???

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Yes, I'm sure most potential OCs would hate the idea of working with Aaron Rogers, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and the rest of the incompetent GB receivers. :moon

or...

he may want a new challenge with a QB who only knows how to play one way.

RKSteel
01-20-2012, 12:56 PM
I'd prefer Clements but I think they'll stay in house.
Article in the post gazette indicates they may go outside since wilson is in the hospital.

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Dulac was just on the radio, and he made it sound like Bruce was forced out my Art. But was saying that Tomlin could have saved his job if he really wanted him back.

retiring is boring...

Newspapers like juicy details so I'm sure they will make up there own story of how it all went down.

Tomlin wasn't going to be our HC and Arians was fired last year if the newspapers had their way in Pittsburgh.

NC Steeler Fan
01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Steelers' Arians retires from coaching
Friday, January 20, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bob Donaldson/Post-Gazette
The Steelers announced that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, seen here with Coach Mike Tomlin, is retiring.
The Steelers announced today that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will not return in 2012 because he is retiring.
"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching," Coach Mike Tomlin said in a statement issued today by the Steelers.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported two days ago that Arians, 59, who was in the final year of his contract, might not return next season. But it was unclear at the time if he was going to retire or if the Steelers were not going to renew his contract.
"I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers," Tomlin said. "I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."
Arians has been the offensive coordinator since Tomlin became head coach in 2007. He was told last week by Tomlin that he would return in 2012, and Tomlin even indicated as much in a news conference one day after the Steelers' playoff loss in Denver.
Arians had even told many people, including the Post-Gazette, that he intended to return in 2012.
However, team president Art Rooney II indicated this week that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.
In a radio interview this morning on WDVE, Rooney said that whatever happened with Arians is "really Mike's decision," referring to Tomlin.
"It's that time of year we do the coaches' contract for those who don't have a contract and sometimes we extend contracts," Rooney said. "Mike's involved in those conversations with all his coaches."

NW Steeler
01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Music to my ears FINALLY. The song has gone from the intro The Hellion to Electric Eye.
This is GREAT news! We celebrate today. And wait for the next OC tomorrow.

Nice reference to the Judas Priest classic! Love those riffs!

BradshawsHairdresser
01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
If Fichtner isn't the guy, I really think Clyde Cristiansen is a good candidate...

It's funny, but in addition to working with Tomlin in Tampa, he also worked for Bruce Arians when he was the HC at Temple...

I'd like to see Christiansen get an interview. Do you know if he's even available?

SteelBucks
01-20-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm fine with whoever they bring in as long as the bubble screen isn't a part of the playbook!

MeetJoeGreene
For some reason, this popped into my head and I burst out into song (scaring my dogs)

[youtube:18uylxmq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJoj9IqeKg[/youtube:18uylxmq]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJoj9IqeKg

NC Steeler Fan
Okay, so I missed the first thread...sue me! LOL :lol:

phillyesq
01-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I couldn't care less whether he retired or "retired." :wink:

I'm just glad that he's gone. I'd love to see Clements, but I think that Fitchner could end up being ok as well.

Steelhere10
01-20-2012, 01:01 PM

retiring is boring...

Newspapers like juicy details so I'm sure they will make up there own story of how it all went down.

Tomlin wasn't going to be our HC and Arians was fired last year if the newspapers had their way in Pittsburgh.In a way I agree BUT why would Bruce tell the media that he was planning on returning for 2012.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM

your running on a tangent i did not create to simply try and be a smart-aleck.....Those guys are terrific players, I simply said we also have some terrific players and he could mold them into a great offense. And when I say 'maybe he hates Green Bay' I am referring to the actual town, not the team.

ikestops85
I'm fine with whoever they bring in as long as the bubble screen isn't a part of the playbook!

Now I have to clean the coffee off my screen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

and :Agree

williar
It was past time. The offense was the weak link. Arians did well making chicken *ish out of chicken salad... I hope they get a progressive mind who is about lighting up the scoreboard.

Jooser
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-retires/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/steelers-offensive-coordinator-bruce-arians-retires/)

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians retires

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2012, 11:24 AM EST

AP
The Pittsburgh Steelers will begin searching for a new offensive coordinator after Bruce Arians has decided to walk away.

“Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching,” Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said in a statement. “I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team’s offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.”

The 59-year-old Arians has been the Steelers’ offensive coordinator for the last five years and was the wide receivers coach for three years before that. He has also been an assistant with the Browns, Colts, Saints and Chiefs, and for several college teams.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said before the team’s playoff loss to the Broncos that he thinks it would be “crazy” for the Steelers to change the offense. So he’ll surely be hoping the team promotes someone from in-house to replace Arians.

Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson was reportedly in line to be the next offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh, but Wilson was badly injured in a fire at his home, and he likely will not be able to return to the team any time soon.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Well...I see a connection and he is available. Todd Haley?

Oviedo
01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
One down and one to go!!!! :stirpot

I hope they seriously look at Clyde Christenson from the Colts.

Oviedo
01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
One down and one to go :stirpot

I hope they bring in Clyde Christensen from the Colts for an interview versus just promoting Randy Fichtner.

costanza2k1
01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Okay, so I missed the first thread...sue me! LOL :lol:

Merged :wink:

Oviedo
01-20-2012, 01:20 PM

Haley and Ben would be a disaster together. haley is too much an in your face guy.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Haley and Ben would be a disaster together. haley is too much an in your face guy.

Haley runs hot and cold as his QB produces. He was just fine with Warner. I think Randy Fichtner & Haley might be the top 2 canidates. Haley has a history here and I'm sure the Rooney's already brought up the name.

phillyesq
01-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Logical, based on his past ties to the team, but I'm not sure that I'd want Haley. He seems like a personality that would not mesh well with the team or the rest of the coaching staff.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM

Logical, based on his past ties to the team, but I'm not sure that I'd want Haley. He seems like a personality that would not mesh well with the team or the rest of the coaching staff.

Well...I'm one the other direction. I feel the teams needs an assertive coach. The "family" or "buddy" feeling in the locker room or field becomes a problem on the NFL level and I see that now on both sides of the ball. With the influx of young players I expect, it will be needed.

fezziwig
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Hello fullback?

LMAO !!!!!!

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM

I'd like to see Christiansen get an interview. Do you know if he's even available?

Well, Christiansen was brought to Indy by Tony Dungy...now that Jim Caldwell has been canned and Manning's future is uncertain, he should be available...I would hope that Irsay wouldn't begrudge him a different opportunity if he chose to pursue it...

Vindrow
01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5804/woohooq.jpg
By vindrow (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/vindrow) at 2012-01-20

pfelix73
01-20-2012, 02:14 PM
YEAH- He's out!

Keep an eye on Steve Logan..... TB RB's coach...

:tt1

SteelCrazy
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
I've been so happy that I couldn't post. Whether its in house or not I'm confident that our next OC will be an improvement. On the question of retirement or forced retirement I believe he wanted to retire and was going to be welcomed back if he wished. I think Ben knew that Arians was going to retire and thats why he made the statement about changing the offense, more so about the scheme then the coach.

SteelBucks
01-20-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure whether Christmas came early or late this year ...

It's a Festivus Miracle!

MaxAMillion
01-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Baby Rooney should fire Tomlin and coach the team himself if he is the one forcing this decision. Tomlin shouldn't stand for being emasculated by Baby Rooney (I agree with Ron Cook's article). Tomlin should have the guts to quit and let everyone know why. If Baby wants to act like Jerry Jones then he needs to be upfront about the fact that he is making staff decisions.

If Cook's article is correct and Baby Rooney is making the call on Arians, I don't know how any player or coach can respect Tomlin.

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Personally, I think it may have been a classy move on Arians' part...

Knowing that Rooney doesn't want him around, he may have chosen to retire (having contemplated retirement for several years) rather than put Tomlin in a bad situation with the boss...

Just a thought...

Just because you might think Arians is a bad coordinator, it doesn't necessarily follow that he's a bad person...

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Baby Rooney should fire Tomlin and coach the team himself if he is the one forcing this decision. Tomlin shouldn't stand for being emasculated by Baby Rooney (I agree with Ron Cook's article). Tomlin should have the guts to quit and let everyone know why. If Baby wants to act like Jerry Jones then he needs to be upfront about the fact that he is making staff decisions.

If Cook's article is correct and Baby Rooney is making the call on Arians, I don't know how any player or coach can respect Tomlin.

uhh... I can.

Writers need soap opera's to get clicks... I'm listening to the Fan off and on and Cook is saying "that's my story and I'm sticking with it" because he doesn't have hard facts. He needs people to call in and Arians retiring isn't as sensational as being fired by the boss and Tomlin being emasculated...

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Personally, I think it may have been a classy move on Arians' part...

Knowing that Rooney doesn't want him around, he may have chosen to retire (having contemplated retirement for several years) rather than put Tomlin in a bad situation with the boss...

Just a thought...

Just because you might think Arians is a bad coordinator, it doesn't necessarily follow that he's a bad person...

I'm sick and tired of the need for a villain.

Steelgal
01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
The latest scoup on the Insider board I belong to is from what this reporter saw/heard is that Arians did NOT want to retire. He said he was 100% sure of that. He then speculated that Tomlin was okay with BA, but Rooney wanted him gone. It's been asked how sure he is of the last two items and there hasn't been an answer yet. It's all hear-say, but that's the latest I"ve read.

SteelTorch
01-20-2012, 04:35 PM
WOO-HOO!!!! By bye BA! Please let the door hit you on your way out! :tt2 :moon

hawaiiansteel
01-20-2012, 04:55 PM
"just think, this will be the last season we have to read about how badly we suck"...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200901/arians6_500.jpg

D Rock
01-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Tomlin emasculated because Rooney made a staff decision???

That's about the most overblown and idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Rooney OWNS THE TEAM. He can do whatever he please. Having your boss make a personnel decision is hardly emasculating.

Sugar
01-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Rooney OWNS THE TEAM. He can do whatever he please. Having your boss make a personnel decision is hardly emasculating.

Um, I'm not sure what kind of organization you work for so I'll try to be nice. The fact is that if a C-level executive bypasses a VP and a Director to fire a Mid-level manager, that shows those in between that he has no faith in their judgement. Unless, of course, said manager directly insulted him or something.

If Rooney bypassed both Colbert and Tomlin to fire a coordinator, that would be equally as bad. Now I don't think that's what happened, but it would be bad for the organization. While technically he has the power and authority to do what he wants, that's not the way great organizations are usually run.

DukieBoy
01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
The latest scoup on the Insider board I belong to is from what this reporter saw/heard is that Arians did NOT want to retire. He said he was 100% sure of that. He then speculated that Tomlin was okay with BA, but Rooney wanted him gone. It's been asked how sure he is of the last two items and there hasn't been an answer yet. It's all hear-say, but that's the latest I"ve read.

If I had all that $$$ invested in a franchise QB, and saw him getting physically mangled, I'd want change like this. So it makes sense.

Now that he is going, it matters little why, IMO. Have a good retirement, Bruce.

frankthetank1
01-20-2012, 08:38 PM
im so happy arians retired now i can stop hearing about how he is the reason when the steelers lose. i will say i never liked how he didnt want a FB in the offense. the bubble screen to hines is the dumbest play ever, however if you are throwing a screen to wallace sanders or brown im ok with it. if anyone thinks they will have more success on offense just because arians retired is kidding themselves. no offense can be that great with the current offensive line

meninblack
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Thank God Bruce is gone. The offense is stale and predictable. Ben needs a coach, not a buddy/enabler like Arians had become. I like the assistants from the Packers and Saints as candidates. I would also like to see Ken Anderson's name in the mix. He was a good QB coach foe us and I think he'd be a good co-ordinator.

It needs to be a Pittsburgh type of guy who will re-emphasize a physical offense. The league is ripe for a power running game to make a come back.

Chadman
01-21-2012, 12:22 AM
im so happy arians retired now i can stop hearing about how he is the reason when the steelers lose. i will say i never liked how he didnt want a FB in the offense. the bubble screen to hines is the dumbest play ever, however if you are throwing a screen to wallace sanders or brown im ok with it. if anyone thinks they will have more success on offense just because arians retired is kidding themselves. no offense can be that great with the current offensive line

:Clap :Clap

Chadman has asked a few times what people thought might happen if Arians was given an OL that could run block consistanly- with little response. Nobody wants to 'not blame' Arians, because it's easy to do so.

Replacing Arians isn't going to be easy. Best move might be Fitchner- at least he knows the players in the system.

Regardless, whoever is inserted as OC will be praying the FO invest in a better OL in order to make their job at least possible. Everyone is blaming Arians for Ben's sacks, but not the OL anymore??

If the team goes internal, could Coach Kugler or Coach Montgomery be worth a look?

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2012, 12:48 AM
I would also like to see Ken Anderson's name in the mix. He was a good QB coach foe us and I think he'd be a good co-ordinator.

Kenny Anderson didn't move on for another coaching job. He retired. He hasn't coached anywhere since leaving us in 2009. And he's 62 now. Don't think he's ready to jump back into the grind. Besides, his only O.C. experience was with the Bengals. After being their QB coach from 93-96, he was then promoted to O.C., a job he held in Cincy until 2000, when they demoted him back to QB coach from 01-02. He was WR and QB coach in Jacksonville from 03-06, then our QB coach from 07-09.

SteelTorch
01-21-2012, 01:15 AM

:Clap :Clap

Chadman has asked a few times what people thought might happen if Arians was given an OL that could run block consistanly- with little response. Nobody wants to 'not blame' Arians, because it's easy to do so.

Replacing Arians isn't going to be easy. Best move might be Fitchner- at least he knows the players in the system.

Regardless, whoever is inserted as OC will be praying the FO invest in a better OL in order to make their job at least possible. Everyone is blaming Arians for Ben's sacks, but not the OL anymore??

If the team goes internal, could Coach Kugler or Coach Montgomery be worth a look?
BA is/was a bad OC with a bad O-line. It's as simple as that. He got a lot of heat because he did nothing to compensate for it. He didn't try to call different plays knowing that we have people who can't block. Case in point, trying to run Mendy UTFM three or four times at the goal line with no gain.

Nobody here blames BA after every loss. If he makes a bad call, which is very often, we call him on it. Thing is, BA never did anything for this offense. He didn't make the players better, didn't game plan, didn't adjust. For every good game he called, he called three bad ones. And just because Ben was buddy-buddy with him doesn't mean he was good for this team. Sorry, I won't be missing him one bit.

flippy
01-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Wonder if we'd consider the young Scottie Monrgomery. He's a Duke grad, so he must be smart. Plus he's done a nice job with the WRs and this is becoming a passing league. Young new fresh ideas might not be a bad route to go.

Fitchner clearly has more experience. And he's run a spread offense in college successfully that might have some advantages in the modern NFL.

Rob Chudzinski is looking at HC jobs, but might be an interesting prospect with a decent track record. And landing as an OC in Pittsburgh might be a dream job for some of these up and comers. Call him an assistant HC or whatever. Just think this guy would be great.

How bout Tom Clements for a look see? He got Kordell into the ProBowl.

flippy
01-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Haley might be a nice add because he might be the personality to push Big Ben.

Wonder if we could talk Chan Gailey out of being HC in Buffalo. I think he'd be the guy that would figure out how to best use Ben and the talent around him. Does he really want to be in Buffalo?

Starlifter
01-21-2012, 01:53 AM
I wish BA well and while never a fan - it's hard to complain about 2 SB appearances and one win. We can always speculate on what it could have been - but let's not fail to appreciate what it was.

funny stuff about the FB - although with the TE's we have on the team right now, I'm starting to warm up to the concept.

while we all tend to find one spot to place blame for failure, and BA got a large portion of it - I'm sure it's a combination of both his performance and as some have said above, a makeshift O-line damn near every year. let's hope next year we can play 16 games with the same guys up front the whole time. I think that would make a huge difference. I also hope we get someone who can be a coach to Ben, not a father figure/friend.

in the end, happy for the change. cautiously optimistic for the future.

and in my parting BA shot - I bet he STILL won't get any HC interviews.

flippy
01-21-2012, 02:16 AM
No one's mentioned Russ Grimm.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-21-2012, 02:38 AM
I would really be interested in Joe Lombardi. He has had to work with a bunch of varying targets & Sean Payton knows what's up so bonus from coming from a real good system.

papillon
01-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Randy Fitchner really? There is complaining week in and week out here about no fullback, can't run the ball consistently, they rely on Ben to improvise and Fitchner is a spread offense guy. It will probably be more of the same and I'm sure Ben has a close relationship with Fitchner as well. It will take exactly one pre-season game for the board to implode to the lack creativity on offense with all the "great" talent the Steeler have on offense.

I still stand by the fact that Bruce Arians got as much or more out of the offense with the players he had. I'm not going to run down my list of average to below average talent that many Steeler fans think is above the line simply because they are Steelers.

I will say this, the only truly great player on offense is Ben, with Pouncey getting there, probably this upcoming year if he stays healthy. The rest are middle of the pack, maybe a couple above average players. Fitchner will keep the continuity in place that Mike Tomlin likes and we'll all be here complaining after the first pre-season game.

This hire, like the head coaching job should be an outside hire, IMHO.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
01-21-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm not going to run down my list of average to below average talent that many Steeler fans think is above the line simply because they are Steelers.

I will say this, the only truly great player on offense is Ben, with Pouncey getting there, probably this upcoming year if he stays healthy. The rest are middle of the pack, maybe a couple above average players. Fitchner will keep the continuity in place that Mike Tomlin likes and we'll all be here complaining after the first pre-season game.

Pappy

$$

Steelgal
01-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Wexell seems to think the odds on favorite to replace BA is Jim Caldwell. SAid it was interesting after his friend and former coach at TB was fired, that Tomlin decided to fire BA. This is NOT the outside hire I was looking for. Peyton was that offense and it was evident by that this past season. Caldwell's team looked terrible.

D Rock
01-21-2012, 11:51 AM

Um, I'm not sure what kind of organization you work for so I'll try to be nice. The fact is that if a C-level executive bypasses a VP and a Director to fire a Mid-level manager, that shows those in between that he has no faith in their judgement. Unless, of course, said manager directly insulted him or something.

If Rooney bypassed both Colbert and Tomlin to fire a coordinator, that would be equally as bad. Now I don't think that's what happened, but it would be bad for the organization. While technically he has the power and authority to do what he wants, that's not the way great organizations are usually run.

Apparently you work in a mid-management role. Forget your own pride or what might happen in your company and think about this.

Rooney is THE BOSS. End of story.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Rob Chudzinski is looking at HC jobs, but might be an interesting prospect with a decent track record. And landing as an OC in Pittsburgh might be a dream job for some of these up and comers. Call him an assistant HC or whatever. Just think this guy would be great.

Our DL coach John Mitchell is already our assistant head coach.

Wonder if we could talk Chan Gailey out of being HC in Buffalo. I think he'd be the guy that would figure out how to best use Ben and the talent around him. Does he really want to be in Buffalo?

Yes, he does. I'd bet that 100 out of 100 coaches would rather be a head coach (even on a continuously downtrodden team) than be an assistant (even on a historically successful team)...and that's not even taking into account the difference in pay scale between a H.C. and O.C.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Watch your words guys. What we all gonna do when the new OC has success with this OL? What we gonna do when the new OC fails..."Wish BA was still here" chants start? :P Hmmm some are setting yourself up for a difficult explanation of how the OL for next year is so much better with a new OC but only one new face? Can't wait to hear those explanations. I think from here on out the OC and how the offense performs is on a "wait & see" basis. There has been so much finger pointing for so long and so much success while that finger pointing was happening...There is no telling what a new OC will be able to do. If I was to guess right now...I would say we are going to see an offense who is better in the redzone but a more dedicated approach to running out of pass sets. We will complain about the OL and the sacks...I don't think that will change that much to where any of us are happy.

pittpete
01-21-2012, 12:29 PM

Sorry Flip, but this might be one of the most ludicrous statements i have ever read on this board.Do you really think before you post?Cmon dude.

Oviedo
01-21-2012, 01:52 PM
No one's mentioned Russ Grimm.

Why would they? Guy isn't even the OC with his buddy Whis is he? Grimm would be a step back to the 1970s-up the middle-up the middle-up the middle-punt!

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Steelers' offensive coordinator Bruce Arians officially retires

Team first decided to not renew his contract, then announced he would step down

Saturday, January 21, 2012

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201201/ba3_160.jpg

Bruce Arians and Ben Roethlisberger were close on and off the field.

Bruce Arians' tenure as Steelers offensive coordinator has come to a sudden if not strange end, with the team announcing his retirement in a one-paragraph statement that was as frosty as the final days of his sometimes stormy five-year career.

Less than a week after Arians told people he intended to return for the 2012 season, the Steelers said Friday that he has decided to retire -- a bizarre turn of events that began with the team's decision to not renew his contract, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

That decision appears to have come from team president Art Rooney II, even though coach Mike Tomlin told Arians several times since the playoff loss in Denver that he wanted him to return next season.

The Post-Gazette reported three days ago that Arians, 59, who was in the final year of his contract, might not return next season. But it was unclear at the time if he was going to retire or if the Steelers were not going to renew his contract.

Turns out, it was a little of both.

And now Tomlin, who inherited Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau when he replaced Bill Cowher in 2007, will have to make his most significant coaching hire since becoming head coach.

According to sources inside and outside the organization, Tomlin had told Arians on several occasions since the end of the season that he wanted him to return in 2012 -- once even telling him in front of other coaches. And Arians had told other people, including his assistants, he intended to return in 2012.

But, earlier this week, after he returned to his offseason home in Greensboro, Ga., Arians was told his one-year contract would not be renewed -- a decision that appeared to come from someone higher than Tomlin, sources said.

"I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers," Tomlin said in a statement released Friday by the Steelers. "I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

Arians did not make a statement in the release. He could not be reached for comment.

On Friday morning, before the team announced Arians' retirement, Rooney went on radio station WDVE and said that whatever happened with Arians is "really Mike's decision," referring to Tomlin.

"It's that time of year we do the coaches' contract for those who don't have a contract and sometimes we extend contracts," Rooney said. "Mike's involved in those conversations with all his coaches."

But was it Tomlin's decision?

It is not uncommon for owners to recommend to their head coach that changes are needed in their coaching staff, even suggesting that specific assistant coaches be fired. After the 1988 season in which the Steelers went 5-11, team president and owner Dan Rooney suggested to coach Chuck Noll that he needed to make changes on his staff, though he was not specific about which coaches.

Noll did, firing four assistant coaches and accepting the resignation of another, secondary coach Tony Dungy, who went on to become a successful head coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Indianapolis Colts.

This, apparently, was different.

For starters, the Steelers were coming off their second 12-4 season in a row in which the offense had two 1,000-yard receivers in Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown and a 4,000-yard quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger. All three were selected to the Pro Bowl, in addition to center Maurkice Pouncey, the first time the Steelers have had four offensive players in the Pro Bowl since the 2004 season, when they went 15-1.

In addition, the running game -- an area that Arians' detractors said he didn't develop -- had its best per-carry average (4.4 yards) since the 2001 season. That is a better average than in '10 when Art Rooney II declared the Steelers needed to run the ball more effectively.

Tomlin will probably have to go outside the organization to hire a coordinator.

Since Noll became coach in 1969, the Steelers have gone outside their organization to hire an offensive coordinator only three times -- Joe Walton in 1990, Ray Sherman in '98 and Kevin Gilbride in '99. In each instance, the Steelers never made the playoffs with those coordinators running the offense.

Running backs coach Kirby Wilson would have been a likely candidate for the position, but his health, after suffering severe burns over 45 percent of his body in a fire at his home Jan. 6, precludes that possibility.

No matter which coordinator is hired, his most important job will be to work with -- and, perhaps more important, co-exist with -- Roethlisberger, who was very close to Arians and is said to be upset that he will not be back.

The two are frequent golf companions and own houses in the same offseason golf community in Greensboro, Ga. The Steelers quarterback is taking Arians and his wife to Hawaii with him next week as a reward for him making the Pro Bowl. Roethlisberger is also taking quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and his wife.

Two years ago, when the Steelers were considering a change in offensive coordinators, it was Roethlisberger who went to Tomlin and Rooney to support Arians -- a move that eventually saved his job.

Arians was a favorite target of Steelers fans who complained about his play-calling -- a frequent lament directed at offensive coordinators -- and was often derided for throwing too much.

But he believed that his offense was built around Roethlisberger, a $100 million quarterback, and Arians was largely responsible for the drafting of Wallace, Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, the team's top three receivers. Shortly after replacing Ken Whisenhunt as offensive coordinator in 2007, Arians began using three tight ends in his offense -- a tactic now used by many NFL offenses.

Still, he could never escape the criticism of fans, even in games when the defense was largely to blame.

The most recent example was the overtime playoff loss in Denver when fans complained the Steelers did not run the ball enough against the Broncos, even though they had 111 of their 156 rushing yards in the second half. And even though the defense let quarterback Tim Tebow pass for a career-high 316 yards and complete five long passes they didn't think he was capable of completing, including the 80-yard touchdown on the first play of overtime.

Apparently, the Steelers hierarchy agreed with many of his detractors. And the team will search for a new offensive coordinator.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/12 ... z1k73V9Uyn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/1205041-66-0.stm#ixzz1k73V9Uyn)

Flasteel
01-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Steelers' offensive coordinator Bruce Arians officially retires

Team first decided to not renew his contract, then announced he would step down

Saturday, January 21, 2012

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201201/ba3_160.jpg

Bruce Arians and Ben Roethlisberger were close on and off the field.

Bruce Arians' tenure as Steelers offensive coordinator has come to a sudden if not strange end, with the team announcing his retirement in a one-paragraph statement that was as frosty as the final days of his sometimes stormy five-year career.

Less than a week after Arians told people he intended to return for the 2012 season, the Steelers said Friday that he has decided to retire -- a bizarre turn of events that began with the team's decision to not renew his contract, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

That decision appears to have come from team president Art Rooney II, even though coach Mike Tomlin told Arians several times since the playoff loss in Denver that he wanted him to return next season.

The Post-Gazette reported three days ago that Arians, 59, who was in the final year of his contract, might not return next season. But it was unclear at the time if he was going to retire or if the Steelers were not going to renew his contract.

Turns out, it was a little of both.

And now Tomlin, who inherited Arians and defensive coordinator bad word LeBeau when he replaced Bill Cowher in 2007, will have to make his most significant coaching hire since becoming head coach.

According to sources inside and outside the organization, Tomlin had told Arians on several occasions since the end of the season that he wanted him to return in 2012 -- once even telling him in front of other coaches. And Arians had told other people, including his assistants, he intended to return in 2012.

But, earlier this week, after he returned to his offseason home in Greensboro, Ga., Arians was told his one-year contract would not be renewed -- a decision that appeared to come from someone higher than Tomlin, sources said.

"I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers," Tomlin said in a statement released Friday by the Steelers. "I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

Arians did not make a statement in the release. He could not be reached for comment.

On Friday morning, before the team announced Arians' retirement, Rooney went on radio station WDVE and said that whatever happened with Arians is "really Mike's decision," referring to Tomlin.

But was it Tomlin's decision?

It is not uncommon for owners to recommend to their head coach that changes are needed in their coaching staff, even suggesting that specific assistant coaches be fired. After the 1988 season in which the Steelers went 5-11, team president and owner Dan Rooney suggested to coach Chuck Noll that he needed to make changes on his staff, though he was not specific about which coaches.

Noll did, firing four assistant coaches and accepting the resignation of another, secondary coach Tony Dungy, who went on to become a successful head coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Indianapolis Colts.

This, apparently, was different.

For starters, the Steelers were coming off their second 12-4 season in a row in which the offense had two 1,000-yard receivers in Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown and a 4,000-yard quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger. All three were selected to the Pro Bowl, in addition to center Maurkice Pouncey, the first time the Steelers have had four offensive players in the Pro Bowl since the 2004 season, when they went 15-1.

In addition, the running game -- an area that Arians' detractors said he didn't develop -- had its best per-carry average (4.4 yards) since the 2001 season. That is a better average than in '10 when Art Rooney II declared the Steelers needed to run the ball more effectively.

Tomlin will probably have to go outside the organization to hire a coordinator.

Since Noll became coach in 1969, the Steelers have gone outside their organization to hire an offensive coordinator only three times -- Joe Walton in 1990, Ray Sherman in '98 and Kevin Gilbride in '99. In each instance, the Steelers never made the playoffs with those coordinators running the offense.

Running backs coach Kirby Wilson would have been a likely candidate for the position, but his health, after suffering severe burns over 45 percent of his body in a fire at his home Jan. 6, precludes that possibility.

No matter which coordinator is hired, his most important job will be to work with -- and, perhaps more important, co-exist with -- Roethlisberger, who was very close to Arians and is said to be upset that he will not be back.

The two are frequent golf companions and own houses in the same offseason golf community in Greensboro, Ga. The Steelers quarterback is taking Arians and his wife to Hawaii with him next week as a reward for him making the Pro Bowl. Roethlisberger is also taking quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and his wife.

Two years ago, when the Steelers were considering a change in offensive coordinators, it was Roethlisberger who went to Tomlin and Rooney to support Arians -- a move that eventually saved his job.

Arians was a favorite target of Steelers fans who complained about his play-calling -- a frequent lament directed at offensive coordinators -- and was often derided for throwing too much.

But he believed that his offense was built around Roethlisberger, a $100 million quarterback, and Arians was largely responsible for the drafting of Wallace, Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, the team's top three receivers. Shortly after replacing Ken Whisenhunt as offensive coordinator in 2007, Arians began using three tight ends in his offense -- a tactic now used by many NFL offenses.

Still, he could never escape the criticism of fans, even in games when the defense was largely to blame.

The most recent example was the overtime playoff loss in Denver when fans complained the Steelers did not run the ball enough against the Broncos, even though they had 111 of their 156 rushing yards in the second half. And even though the defense let quarterback Tim Tebow pass for a career-high 316 yards and complete five long passes they didn't think he was capable of completing, including the 80-yard touchdown on the first play of overtime.

Apparently, the Steelers hierarchy agreed with many of his detractors. And the team will search for a new offensive coordinator.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/12 ... z1k73V9Uyn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/1205041-66-0.stm#ixzz1k73V9Uyn)

That's a piss-poor look at the reasons why Arians may have been let go. Isn't Dulac tight with Arians as well? Sure seems like it.

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
The Steelers Just Won the Super Bowl! Whoops, My Mistake. Bruce Arians Just Retired

by Anthony Defeo on Jan 20, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2813116/80415_Steelers_Football.jpg

Well, after years of wishing, hoping, praying and cursing by Steelers fans far and wide, Bruce Arians officially stepped down as offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers today after holding that title for five years.

I haven't seen the fans this happy since the Steelers advanced to the Super Bowl about a year ago at this time. Seriously, they might as well pour into the streets and wave their Terrible Towels at passing cars.

I've always been on the fence about Arians.

On one hand, I see where maybe a change in the offensive approach was needed what with the team finishing in the middle of the pack or lower in scoring year after year with Arians calling the plays. Also, it's no secret that Ben Roethlisberger's sack numbers are more than a little alarming, and whether you blame him for holding onto the ball too long, or you blame the offensive line, maybe a different style was necessary in-order to keep the franchise quarterback healthy, and to utilize the multitude of offensive weapons more effectively.

On the other hand, I see a young and developing receiving corps, an exciting stable of running backs and an elite quarterback, who, oh by the way, loved his offensive coordinator. And, on one of the fingers of that pro-Arians hand rests a ring from Super Bowl XLIII. It's nice and shiny.

I can see both sides of it

They say you should never make a change for the sake of change, but in this case, maybe it'll be a good thing just to find out, once and for all, if Arians' philosophy was the main culprit in the overall lack of production. If it was, great. It's one thing for an offensive coordinator to have a specific philosophy, but if it hinders the offense or is in direct contrast to what the upper-management is looking for, something has to be done.

However, change isn't always a good thing. As Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette talked about in his article today, the Steelers haven't exactly had a great track-record with bringing in new offensive coordinators.

And when looking at the Steelers offensive production in 2011, maybe a little credit has to go to the defenses that Arians had to strategize against. Kudos to Joe Bendel for pointing out on his radio show yesterday that the Steelers faced more than their fair share of top defenses over the course of the season.

Did I mention I was on the fence about Arians?

I can see it going either way. Could the next guy come in and craft an offensive machine? Perhaps, but he could also be Kevin Gilbride.

The grass isn't always greener. Even with a fullback standing on it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go tell those Steelers fans partying right outside my window to keep it down.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/20/2722226/the-steelers-just-won-the-super-bowl-whoops-my-mistake-bruce-arians#storyjump)

fezziwig
01-21-2012, 04:38 PM
I am in such a good mood since I heard the news Arians is out it seems as if I'm a kid waiting on Christmas.

I remember where I was when I heard about 911 and I'll never forget that day. To me that was like when I hear older people talking about the death of JFK and they still remember the moment they learned of his death. My older brother and his friends were talking about JFK one day when he was killed and my brother said he was in shop class washing his hands when the school annouced it on the loud speaker. His friends all chimed in with what they were doing.

I was pulling up to one of my job sites and noticed my workers standing next to the radio listening about the twin towers. My radio in my truck was broken at the time so, I heard the 911 news at that moment.

As for the Bruce Arian departure I was driving across the Beaver Rochester overpass when it was reported on the Fan.

Not trying to make light of the tragedy of JFK or 911 but, I'll always remember the release of BA and where I was at the time.