PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Williams is reporting that he is a Steeler

steelblood
01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.statecollege.com/news/local- ... wl-985807/ (http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-football-derrick-williams-signs-with-steelers-michael-robinson-to-pro-bowl-985807/)

I wonder why he never made an impact in Detroit. He had only one start and only about 10 receptions in 3 seasons.

MeetJoeGreene
01-20-2012, 09:29 AM
He was electrifying in his freshman year at PSU. Then he broke his arm.. and put on some weight.

He had flashes throughout but never dominated like I thought he would.

I am a PSU homer... but to be honest.. I am not all that excited about this signing.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
"Training camp stud...regular season thud."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8051 ... k-williams (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/805134-detroit-lions-preseason-its-time-to-say-goodbye-to-wr-derrick-williams)

Shawn
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a guy who has all the talent in the world, but has a 2 cent head and loses ability under pressure (ala Limas Sweed).

RuthlessBurgher
01-20-2012, 11:13 AM
"Training camp stud...regular season thud."

Prior to this season, that quote could also have applied to Victor Cruz. :stirpot

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Low risk, high potential reward...

Maybe he just needs someone like Hines Ward to show him how to make the most of his talents...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Low risk, high potential reward...

Maybe he just needs someone like Hines Ward to show him how to make the most of his talents...

...If Hines Ward is still around to show him how to make the most of his talents.

SteelBucks
01-20-2012, 11:59 AM
A Columbus radio station is also reporting that former OSU QB Troy Smith has signed with the Steelers. (Sorry, no link yet). Possible replacement for Dixon?

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I like Smith as a backup...more experience and a better passer than Dixon...

Not Superman by any means, but a decent, young backup...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks like he worked out for Steelers and there is mutual interest.

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
IIRC, Smith started once for the Ravens vs. the Steelers and played fairly well in a Ravens win...

D Rock
01-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Derrick Williams sucked at Penn State. All hype and no game.

Then he sucked even more with the Lions.

There's no reason to think his time with the Steelers will be any different.

Oviedo
01-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Derrick Williams sucked at Penn State. All hype and no game.

Then he sucked even more with the Lions.

There's no reason to think his time with the Steelers will be any different.

I liked Williams coming out of PSU but after three years and not being able to make it on a bad team I'm not counting on much from him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Remember Tyler Beiler and the Steelers inetrest? They signed him today.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Bouchette confirmed Troy Smith was signed.

hawaiiansteel
01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Bouchette confirmed Troy Smith was signed.

Troy Smith signs with Steelers

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 20, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/t-smith.jpg?w=250

The Steelers have signed another candidate to play behind Ben Roethlisberger next year.

The team announced they have signed former 49ers quarterback Troy Smith. The Heisman Trophy winner last played in the UFL and was available to be signed because he didn’t finish the year on an NFL roster.

Smith started six games in San Francisco last year, some when Alex Smith was healthy enough to play. A lot changes in a year.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has written repeatedly that the Steelers will re-sign Byron Leftwich to back up Roethlisberger next season. Charlie Batch’s gig may finally be up after eight years in Pittsburgh; he was known to have a close relationship with retired Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/troy-smith-signs-with-steelers/)

steelblood
01-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Some of these cats might make this team. After we cut some high price vets, we will have some open slots and 7 draft picks won't be enough to fill them all. PS guys and castoffs have a real shot next season.

SS Laser
01-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Ok so we are looking for Batch and Dixon's replacement. Is there a need to draft a QB now with Smith headed to camp?

And what is up with all the new WR's? Is this in case Ward does not do a Bus discount? Or Wallace not getting a new deal? A few of these guys are fast if there 40's are correct. No one seems to be a big red zone WR.

Steelers | Five signed to future contracts

Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:44:49 -0800
The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed WRs Tyler Beiler, Jimmy Young, David Gilreath and Derrick Williams and CB Walter McFadden to future contracts. Terms of the contracts were not disclosed.
Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsbu ... z1k4RwslvV (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers#ixzz1k4RwslvV)

Oh yea that Mcfadden is the little brother to the steelers Mcfadden. :wft
Figured big bro Bryant was done? Also that is 3 Mcfaddens now headed to camp. 2 CB's and a ILB. No idea if the ILB is related.

Very interesting off season already. :tt1

Shawn
01-21-2012, 09:32 AM
A Columbus radio station is also reporting that former OSU QB Troy Smith has signed with the Steelers. (Sorry, no link yet). Possible replacement for Dixon?

I would be VERY excited about this signing. I never understood why Troy didn't find a starter job in this league. I know he isn't "tall enough" but the guy throws a nice ball and has ice water in his veins. Besides Joe Germaine, he is my favorite Buckeye QB in my era.

SidSmythe
01-21-2012, 10:16 AM
the Lions were the place where WRs went to die
Mike Williams made a comeback after seeking new pasture. Maybe Williams can do the same???

I would be VERY excited about this signing. I never understood why Troy didn't find a starter job in this league. I know he isn't "tall enough" but the guy throws a nice ball and has ice water in his veins. Besides Joe Germaine, he is my favorite Buckeye QB in my era.

I'm not an OSU fan but I loved Joe Germaine. I use to make him on Madden and start him for the Steelers in my Franchise. Like this Troy Smith signing

Chadman
01-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Can't hurt bringing in quality FA's like Troy Smith at this point. It's quite easy to believe he'll win the #3 QB job , and perhaps become the long-term back-up QB to Ben.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2012, 12:12 PM
And what is up with all the new WR's?

Hines Ward is likely a cap casualty.
Arnaz Battle is likely a cap casualty.
Jerricho Cotchery is an unrestricted free agent.
Mike Wallace is a restricted free agent.
Tyler Grisham signed a futures contract with the Denver Broncos.

So that left us with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders as the only signed, sealed, delivered wideouts on this team prior to these signings. Of course, I fully expect Wallace to be back with a high RFA tender, and I hope that we are able to bring back Cotch to fill that Hines role going forward (or perhaps Hines himself comes back on a vet minimum deal), but none of this is 100% certain, which is why the team is doing what it can to have a representative sample of players at each position once minicamps and OTA's begin.

Slapstick
01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Given the cap situation, the Steelers will most likely NEED some of these guys to step up and be role players in order for the team to bee successful. As I mentioned before, Smith played well enough to beat the Steelers...

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2012, 02:00 PM
2006 Heisman-winning QB Troy Smith signs with Steelers

Saturday, January 21, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers, who had only one quarterback under contract for 2012 -- Ben Roethlisberger -- signed their second of the week when they announced that Troy Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State, was among six more players added to their roster for next season.

Smith, who was drafted and played for the Baltimore Ravens, is among the latest group of players the team has signed to a reserve/futures contract.

The list includes former Penn State wide receiver Derrick Williams and cornerback Walter McFadden, the younger brother of Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden and a former Cincinnati Bengal.

The Ravens drafted Smith in the fifth round in 2007, and he was a backup in Baltimore for three seasons. He was with San Francisco in '10, then with the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL last season.

Smith started the regular-season finale in '07 against the Steelers at Baltimore, helping the Ravens to a 27-21 victory.

It was the only time a rookie quarterback has beaten a Dick LeBeau Steelers defense. He completed 16 of 27 for 171 yards with one touchdown, no interceptions and a 90.2 passer rating that day.

Quarterback Jerrod Johnson of Texas A&M previously signed a futures contract with the Steelers.

The Steelers are looking for a No. 3 quarterback. They expect to re-sign Byron Leftwich to back up Roethlisberger. Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch are both unrestricted free agents. Dixon is not expected back.

Williams, drafted in the third round by Detroit in '09, was waived by the Lions before the start of last season.

Others signed included wide receivers Tyler Beiler, Jimmy Young and David Gilreath.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/12 ... z1k75ECDSm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/1205113-66.stm#ixzz1k75ECDSm)

SS Laser
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
And what is up with all the new WR's?

Hines Ward is likely a cap casualty.
Arnaz Battle is likely a cap casualty.
Jerricho Cotchery is an unrestricted free agent.
Mike Wallace is a restricted free agent.
Tyler Grisham signed a futures contract with the Denver Broncos.

Thanks for reminding me of 3 I forgot about! I hope Ward, Cotchery return. Would be nice to see a couple of the new guys replace Battle and Grisham. I want Wallace back at a good price. We will see how that goes.

Shoe
01-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Seriously?

Someone brought this up before on another thread, but seriously--why is every QB we bring in black? It isn't a coincidence... Batch, Leftwich, Dixon, now Jerrod Johnson and Troy Smith. I wonder what the thinking is? Do they think that because they're black, they are being undervalued in the market? It's not because we need an athletic guy at QB to run our system (since Batch and Leftwich are about as unathletic as you can get at the positiong) I don't get it.

Dresden
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
I really like and am intrigued by the Smith signing. He was monstrous in college,..and perhaps is at the point in his life and career where he's willing to work as hard as a guy like Bree's did to improve himself as a professional. This would be incredible for our franchise.

However,..even if this were the case,....he would never get a fair shake here not matter how well he was to perform in practice, Preseason and in any rare opportunity to play as a starter.

This franchise and some of the Nation are determined to go down with S.S Roethlisberger no matter what that means to the team itself.

RuthlessBurgher
01-21-2012, 08:41 PM
This franchise and some of the Nation are determined to go down with S.S Roethlisberger no matter what that means to the team itself.

Oh, the horrors of going to only 3 Super Bowls in 8 seasons!!!

I'm sure replacing him with a guy who played for the Omaha Nighthawks last year is the answer. :lol:

Dresden
01-21-2012, 08:55 PM

I'm sure replacing him with a guy who played for the Omaha Nighthawks last year is the answer. :lol:

Yeah yeah Captain semantics,...nyuck it up. :lol: But i think that you are missing what i am saying dude ?

Which is,..what if,...just what if,... this Smith Kid actually lived up to and or surpasses the potential that he displayed in College,.... and thereby gave our offense the ability to go point for point with the best of them ?

If we could get back to form on defense with that capability,...we could actually be a Dominant team. No smoke and mirrors,....true dominance.

As long as i have repped this franchise with every fiber of my being i have not experienced that. I only have the mid to late 80's and even the flawed yet salad days of Coach Cowher.

Shawn
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Seriously?

Someone brought this up before on another thread, but seriously--why is every QB we bring in black? It isn't a coincidence... Batch, Leftwich, Dixon, now Jerrod Johnson and Troy Smith. I wonder what the thinking is? Do they think that because they're black, they are being undervalued in the market? It's not because we need an athletic guy at QB to run our system (since Batch and Leftwich are about as unathletic as you can get at the positiong) I don't get it.

Shoe, I honestly think that may be the case. I believe the Steelers think black QBs may be undervalued due to stereotype and prejudice at the position from some NFL teams.

feltdizz
01-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Yeah yeah Captain semantics,...nyuck it up. :lol: But i think that you are missing what i am saying dude ?

Which is,..what if,...just what if,... this Smith Kid actually lived up to and or surpasses the potential that he displayed in College,.... and thereby gave our offense the ability to go point for point with the best of them ?

If we could get back to form on defense with that capability,...we could actually be a Dominant team. No smoke and mirrors,....true dominance.

As long as i have repped this franchise with every fiber of my being i have not experienced that. I only have the mid to late 80's and even the flawed yet salad days of Coach Cowher.

no need to go point for point... yesterday showed great D and ball control offense will keep you in most games.

I don't think we've ever had a problem going point for point with good teams. It's the bad teams that we tend to play down to and that's always been a problem with Steeler teams IMO.

snarky
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Just as a point of trivial interest: When was the last time the Steelers had a former Heisman Trophy winner under contract? I honestly cant remember it ever happening

steelblood
01-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Seriously?

It might just be a coincidence.

Johnson and Smith both have good athleticism and arms. One might make a very good 3rd QB.