View Full Version : Post Gazette: Arians Might Not Return

phillyesq
01-18-2012, 09:14 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/12018/1204433-100.stm

Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
By Gerry Dulac , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Bob Donaldson / Post-Gazette
Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians watches quarterback Ben Roethlisberger work with receivers in practice.

The Steelers coaching staff could undergo its first major change in the Mike Tomlin era because offensive coordinator Bruce Arians might not return in 2012, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Arians, 57, is in the final year of his contract with the Steelers, and it is unclear if he is retiring -- something he considered last year -- or not having his contract renewed.

Arians has been the offensive coordinator since Tomlin became head coach in 2007. He was told last week by Tomlin that he would return in 2012, and Tomlin even indicated as much in a press conference one day after the Steelers' playoff loss in Denver.

However, team president Art Rooney II indicated on Tuesday that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.

Arians considered retiring after the 2010 season because of health problems and other issues. He even skipped attending the NFL combine in February while he mulled his decision.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/12018/120443 ... z1jrWnsScU (http://post-gazette.com/pg/12018/1204433-100.stm#ixzz1jrWnsScU)

Not definitive, but a ray of hope for those of us who are not satisfied with the Steelers' poor offensive showing this year.

Jooser
01-18-2012, 09:40 PM
OH GOD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Please do! Then Tomlin, please bring in Tom Clement for a talk!

BradshawsHairdresser
01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Anyone else thinking about this scenario---Tomlin and Arians were set to have Arians come back, but then Art stepped in and told him it's time to retire?

Don't know if I can take the heartbreak if it turns out that this rumor isn't true.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Anyone else thinking about this scenario---Tomlin and Arians were set to have Arians come back, but then Art stepped in and told him it's time to retire?

Don't know if I can take the heartbreak if it turns out that this rumor isn't true.

Could just be a bait article from the PG seeking a response cause Arians is obviously the elephant in the room right now. I'll be peeved if he skips the combine then decides to return again.

fordfixer
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
If this is true he need to get moving so that we can replace him in a timely fashion

Northern_Blitz
01-18-2012, 10:24 PM
IF Ariens is asked to leave, do you think it says more about what Art thinks about BA, or BR?

Seems to me like Art called out BR a bit in his year ender saying that he needs to "tweak his game" to take less sacks. We currently have an OC who is on record as saying that he doesn't want to change anything in BR (although who knows what is said behind closed doors). BR has also continued to hold onto the "only one way to play" mentality.

Less sacks means (1) less chance of injury, (2) less chance of fumbles, (3) less 3rd and real longs (which in turn leads to less sacks), and (4) less BR miraculous HOLY $HIT HOW DID HE MAKE THAT PLAY moments. It also means having BR in the NFL for longer.

Although I love it when (4) happens, I want Ben around for as long as possible. I also don't want to be as close to 100% in the playoffs as possible.

I think if the management squeezes BA out, it says as much about BR as it does BA.

Sugar
01-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow, talk about massive speculation. I hope you people are ready for Arians to be back next year. Whine all you want, but it's probably going to happen.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Wow, talk about massive speculation.

That's what we DO here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2012, 11:02 PM
OH GOD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

:D

http://thundafunda.com/pictures-updates/4/oh-god-please-send-me-a-milk-can-cute-cat-pictures-funny.jpg

SteelCrazy
01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Though it would be a blessing for Arians to retire, I have little faith we would bring in someone that would dare be Big Ben's boss. Being like a "grandfather" to BB hasn't served the Steelers offense very well, but it kept the 100 million dollar QB happy.

pittpete
01-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Yes lets all whine!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are all just whiners wahhhhhhhhhhh
Go blow it out your :moon

OH GOD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

SteelCrazy
01-18-2012, 11:40 PM
"But we both think the same in the no-huddle, that we call a lot more runs because we know that's what we're supposed to do. And I don't know if that's 'supposed to' from the fans, the media, the owner, who knows? But it's just a feeling that you have that we better run the ball some. So we do think alike in a lot of those ways."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/34458966 (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34458966)

The link above is from another site reporting on the PG's speculation and the quote above is from Ben. If they run an offense based partly on what they believe the masses want it's no wonder the offense struggles. If they want to throw it more, then do it! There were many times in the red zone, especially between the the 5 yd line and the goal line, that I couldnt believe they kept running it. This has been my biggest problem with Arians since he took over.

Chadman
01-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Less sacks means (1) less chance of injury, (2) less chance of fumbles, (3) less 3rd and real longs (which in turn leads to less sacks), and (4) less BR miraculous HOLY $HIT HOW DID HE MAKE THAT PLAY moments. It also means having BR in the NFL for longer.

Chadman wonders- if we take away the "Holy Moly" play of Ben where he creates plays that don't exsist until he conjures magic...if we remove that, and make him play a more conventional QB type game, with less sacks etc... do we lose the best parts of Ben Roethlisberger?

If you take away the "Ben Plays", are we left with as good a QB?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-19-2012, 12:53 AM

Chadman wonders- if we take away the "Holy Moly" play of Ben where he creates plays that don't exsist until he conjures magic...if we remove that, and make him play a more conventional QB type game, with less sacks etc... do we lose the best parts of Ben Roethlisberger?

I think even in the most well oiled machine type offenses there are plenty of opportunities to adlib. Our issue is the ad-lib is the basis of our offense, or so it feels. I can't tell you how many times I turned to my wife & said 'this looks like a Chinese fire drill'!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Before anyone goes and starts getting too excited, the speculation comes from this quote:

``That’s not to say there won’t be any turnover. We have guys on the coaching staff who have talked about retiring, are senior.’’

Asked who those might be, Rooney declined to say.

The sensationalism comes from the headline.

'Senior' Steeler assistant could be retiring; Does that mean Arians?

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Who Replaces Arians if He Leaves Pittsburgh?

Posted on January 18, 2012 by ryan

We’re filing this under “Be careful what you ask for,” right above “Don’t worry, Tommy Maddox will turn the Steelers into an awesome passing offense” and ”Chad Scott and DeWayne Washington always play much better than they practice.”

Gerry Dulac reported Wednesday night that Bruce Arians might not be back with the Steelers in 2012.

Whether that’s his choice or someone else’s, the point remains: for the first time in Mike Tomlin’s tenure, there could be somebody other than BA calling plays. I know that makes some of you happy. For others, like me, much less so.

We can all agree that BA wasn’t perfect; the differences in opinions come when we try to decide how important he was to the Steelers’ offensive success from 2007-2011. The team went to two Super Bowls, winning once, and according to Football Outsiders, the offense finished ninth or better in four of five seasons:

2007: 9th overall (7th pass, 18th run)
2008: 21st (19th, 15th)
2009: 7th (7th, 17th)
2010: 5th (3rd, 14th)
2011: 6th (7th, 7th)

Yes, Pittsburgh struggled in the red zone (it’s not a secret — Arians has admitted as much), but it’s not like we’re talking about Brian Schottenheimer or Mike Mularkey (most recently of the Falcons although he parlayed a two-point playoff effort into the Jags’ head coaching gig).

Arians didn’t try to fit Ben Roethlisberger’s style into his vision of an NFL offense. Just the opposite. This was Ben’s offense, although I’d agree that the Steelers didn’t run enough no-huddle. Roethlisberger was especially dangerous when he called the plays at the line of scrimmage but whether it was the lockout, inexperienced pass catchers, a porous offensive line or a hobbled quarterback, Arians always seemed to have an excuse why he wasn’t keen on giving Ben the reins. Except that when it did happen, the results were pretty good.

But now what?

I was all set to write about all the names and faces who might not be back in Latrobe in August (and I will) but here’s the other reality: Arians might have coached his last game, too. I know some of you welcome this news but unlike the other side of the ball where it appears that Keith Butler will assume D!ck LeBeau’s defensive coordinator duties once that days comes, I have no clue who’ll replace Arians.

Here’s a look at the current coaching staff and there are Butlers or Mitchells on the offensive side of the ball. Is Randy Fitchner capable? No idea. I know BA recommended him earlier this year for the Memphis University job.

My biggest fear is that the Steelers end up with ‘Lil Schottenheimer (he’s allegedly headed to the Rams), wholly loathed in New York before he finally had the good sense to move on to … anywhere but New York. Or more generally, someone like Schottenheimer — big reputation but lacking in results. More than that: someone who’d want to run their offense, not Ben’s offense. I can’t imagine it would get to that point in the interview process but what the hell do I know?

I hope Arians returns. If he doesn’t, who are the candidates to replace him? (This isn’t rhetorical or snarky. I really am interested in your thoughts.) For completely selfish reasons, it’s too bad Chan Gailey didn’t get fired in Buffalo. I’d welcome him back to Pittsburgh.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/a ... #more-6677 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/arians-leaves-steelers-replacement/#more-6677)

Jooser
01-19-2012, 07:14 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ot-return/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/steelers-coordinator-arians-might-not-return/)

Steelers coordinator Arians might not return to team

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 18, 2012, 8:52 PM EST

AP
Ben Roethlisberger isn’t going to be happy with a bit of breaking news in Pittsburgh.

Two weeks after Big Ben gave the organization a pre-emptive warning about possibly changing offensive coordinators, there is a report that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians may not be back with the team.

Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Arians’ status with the team is uncertain. Arians’ contract is up; it’s unclear if the Steelers don’t want Arians back or whether Arians is considering retirement. The latter seems more likely.

We’ve been down a similar road with Arians before. In January of 2010, there was an incorrect radio report that Arians was fired after the season. Arians also thought about retiring after last season because of health problems.

Club president Art Rooney said Tuesday that a few Steelers coaches are considering retirement, but didn’t say which coaches.

The Steelers transitioned to more of a pass-based offense this season, but they were inconsistent as a unit. They finished 21st in team scoring and gave up a ton of sacks. Pittsburgh’s lack of forced turnovers on defense didn’t help.

Arians has been the team’s offensive coordinator for five years. Coach Mike Tomlin told Arians last week he’d be back with the team and said publicly he expected Arians to return.

Slapstick
01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
True, we as fans have no idea whether or not Randy Fichtner will be effective as a play caller...but, if Arians retires, we will most likely find out...

As Tomlin has stated, he wants to maintain continuity on his 12-4 team...as an organization, whether or not we as fans think it is wise, it is in the Steelers best interests to keep Ben Roethlisberger happy...

That makes Fichtner the only logical choice, IMO...

Also from the PG article:

Unlike some of the Steelers assistant coaches, Arians was not going to attend Senior Bowl workouts in Mobile, Ala., next week. But that is because quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is taking him and his wife to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. Roethlisberger, named a backup to Tom Brady for the AFC team, also is taking his position coach, Randy Fichtner, and his wife to Hawaii.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12019/12 ... z1juOkkS4P (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12019/1204477-66.stm#ixzz1juOkkS4P)

If Arians leaves, it would be hard for him to complain too much if Fichtner takes over, eh?

They could then hire a QB coach who would drill Ben on technique...kind of like the coach he hired to work with him during last season's undeserved suspension...

Aaron Rodgers adjusted his game and had a season for the ages...with the WRs and TEs that the Steelers have, there is no reason for Ben not to trust them more and get the ball out of his hands and into theirs instead of waiting for the big play to develop...

In the game where Roethlisberger did this (vs. NE) he completed 72% of his passes for a 7.3 YpA...of course, his longest pass was a mere 26 yard completion to Emmanuel Sanders...but as many here also believe, I think that consistently hitting the short passes will open up the longer ones...

Steelers>NFL
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
This is music to my ears! Well almost. It is like an intro to a GREAT song.
Think of something like The Hellion/Electric Eye by the legendary Judas Priest.
Right now, we are in The Hellion part of the song. Just waiting to KICK into
Electric Eye.... 8)

Oviedo
01-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Who Replaces Arians if He Leaves Pittsburgh?

Posted on January 18, 2012 by ryan

We’re filing this under “Be careful what you ask for,” right above “Don’t worry, Tommy Maddox will turn the Steelers into an awesome passing offense” and ”Chad Scott and DeWayne Washington always play much better than they practice.”

Gerry Dulac reported Wednesday night that Bruce Arians might not be back with the Steelers in 2012.

Whether that’s his choice or someone else’s, the point remains: for the first time in Mike Tomlin’s tenure, there could be somebody other than BA calling plays. I know that makes some of you happy. For others, like me, much less so.

We can all agree that BA wasn’t perfect; the differences in opinions come when we try to decide how important he was to the Steelers’ offensive success from 2007-2011. The team went to two Super Bowls, winning once, and according to Football Outsiders, the offense finished ninth or better in four of five seasons:

Yes, Pittsburgh struggled in the red zone (it’s not a secret — Arians has admitted as much), but it’s not like we’re talking about Brian Schottenheimer or Mike Mularkey (most recently of the Falcons although he parlayed a two-point playoff effort into the Jags’ head coaching gig).

Arians didn’t try to fit Ben Roethlisberger’s style into his vision of an NFL offense. Just the opposite. This was Ben’s offense, although I’d agree that the Steelers didn’t run enough no-huddle. Roethlisberger was especially dangerous when he called the plays at the line of scrimmage but whether it was the lockout, inexperienced pass catchers, a porous offensive line or a hobbled quarterback, Arians always seemed to have an excuse why he wasn’t keen on giving Ben the reins. Except that when it did happen, the results were pretty good.

But now what?

I was all set to write about all the names and faces who might not be back in Latrobe in August (and I will) but here’s the other reality: Arians might have coached his last game, too. I know some of you welcome this news but unlike the other side of the ball where it appears that Keith Butler will assume D!ck LeBeau’s defensive coordinator duties once that days comes, I have no clue who’ll replace Arians.

Here’s a look at the current coaching staff and there are Butlers or Mitchells on the offensive side of the ball. Is Randy Fitchner capable? No idea. I know BA recommended him earlier this year for the Memphis University job.

My biggest fear is that the Steelers end up with ‘Lil Schottenheimer (he’s allegedly headed to the Rams), wholly loathed in New York before he finally had the good sense to move on to … anywhere but New York. Or more generally, someone like Schottenheimer — big reputation but lacking in results. More than that: someone who’d want to run their offense, not Ben’s offense. I can’t imagine it would get to that point in the interview process but what the hell do I know?

I hope Arians returns. If he doesn’t, who are the candidates to replace him? (This isn’t rhetorical or snarky. I really am interested in your thoughts.) For completely selfish reasons, it’s too bad Chan Gailey didn’t get fired in Buffalo. I’d welcome him back to Pittsburgh.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/a ... #more-6677 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/01/arians-leaves-steelers-replacement/#more-6677)

I guess I was wrong. I thought it would be the fourth or fifth game before a new OC was determined to be inadequete and constantly criticized. Now I see it is before Arians even leaves and a potential replacement is hired. :wink:

SidSmythe
01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
You know ... I'm not sold out on the Arians bashing as some of you. There have been times during games where in my childlike temper tantrums I yell out "Fire Him Tonight!!"

He's really not AWFUL!!! but he's not the best the NFL has to offer either.

Chances are we promote from within right??

Oviedo
01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
You know ... I'm not sold out on the Arians bashing as some of you. There have been times during games where in my childlike temper tantrums I yell out "Fire Him Tonight!!"

Arians is an average NFL OC. He is not terrible and he is not great. Like I said many times, anyone who has that job will be under constant attack from know it all fans in their La-Z-Boys. It is probably the most thankless job in football.

phillyesq
01-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Arians is an average NFL OC. He is not terrible and he is not great. Like I said many times, anyone who has that job will be under constant attack from know it all fans in their La-Z-Boys. It is probably the most thankless job in football.

Ah yes, only armchair gms and know-it-all fans attack the offensive coordinator. It is only the truly enlightened fans that attack the defensive coordinator year after year. :wink:

phillyesq
01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Interesting blog entry from Bouchette. Apparently, Kirby Wilson was in line to be the next OC before his accident. A shame for Wilson that he may miss out on the opportunity, but he and his family obviously have bigger concerns at the moment.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114466-ed-wilson-was-in-line-to-be-next-coordinator

Ed: Wilson was in Line to be Next Coordinator Thursday, 19 January 2012 08:40 Written by Ed Bouchette Good morning,

It appears Bruce Arians is out, one way or another, as Gerry Dulac has reported. There goes that lightning rod, now who's the next target?

Sadly, Kirby Wilson was in line to be the next offensive coordinator. He's fighting for his life, still in critical condition in the burn unit at Mercy.

The next offensive coordinator might have to come from outside. Randy Fichtner, the quarterbacks coach, would seem a possible choice. There also might be someone Mike Tomlin has had in mind in case this day came.

But will Tomlin truly be the one to hire the next coach? Remember, he said just last week that he wanted both of his coordinators back, and by all accounts it sounded as though Arians wanted to come back. But what if his contract wasn't renewed, which Gerry raised as one of the possibilities? That would not have been Tomlin's decision, but Art Rooney's.

Here is what Tomlin said 10 days ago, the day after his team's loss in Denver, when he was asked if he anticipated both of his coordinators to return for 2012:

"I anticipate it, but of course we all understand what the end of the season is about, and movement is a part of it in today’s NFL for players and coaches. We are going to try to maintain continuity like we always do. We believe that is a benefit to us, but we also understand that things can happen, and we will deal with those as they arrive.''

It seems plain that Tomlin wanted Arians back but that he could not guarantee it because someone might offer him a head coaching job. Last week, I received an email from a writer at the Miami Herald, asking me if Arians had an agent. I asked him why and never got a response, but then there never was a word written about Arians that I know of connecting him to the Miami Dolphins either. The Dolphins reportedly are down to their three finalists.

Now, here is what Art Rooney said two days ago when asked if he expected any changes in his coaching staff:

"The coaching staff, I don't expect any major turnover on this coaching staff. We think we have a good staff. That's not to say there won't be any turnover. We have guys on the coaching staff who have talked about retiring, are senior-type guys and I know Mike is going through the process of having those conversations as we speak. But I'm not expecting wholesale changes on the staff."

Rooney's idea of "wholesale changes" and "major turnover" may not include losing one coach, even if it is the offensive coordinator. However,when asked if he expected both of his coordinators back, he said this:

"At this point, yeah.''

If Rooney decided not to offer Arians another contract, this would be far from the first time that executive decision has played into who is hired and fired on the Steelers coaching staff. After the 1988 season, Hall of Famer Chuck Noll was ordered by Dan Rooney to make major changes in his staff. Noll nearly quit because of it but changed his mind and made the changes. In 1991, he heard the rumors that Rooney wanted another staff change and Noll retired instead.

Those were different circumstances. The Steelers went 5-11 in 1988 and had not made the playoffs in four years. They squeezed into the playoffs as a wildcard at 9-7 in 1989, then went 9-7 in 1990 without making the playoffs and 7-9 in 1991. Again, the offensive coordinator was at the center of the dispute, Joe Walton. There was talk at the time that had Walton resigned, Noll would have remained, but Noll was not going to fire him and retired.

This is a different situation entirely, although unhappiness with the offensive coordinator has been evident again. However, the Steelers won a Super Bowl in 2008 with Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator and reached it again in 2010 with him. They went 12-4 with him this season before losing their first playoff game in Denver. The problems with injuries on this team has been well documented.

If -- and I emphasize that -- this is not Arians' decision and not Tomlin's, then the question is not only who will be the next coordinator, but who will hire him?

phillyesq
01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Dale Lolley had this to say:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2012/01/arians-retiring.html

Gerry Dulac of the Post-Gazette is reporting that Bruce Arians is strongly considering retirement.

If Dulac is reporting it, you can bet it came directly from Arians. The two are pretty close.

LouSteel
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Interesting blog entry from Bouchette. Apparently, Kirby Wilson was in line to be the next OC before his accident. A shame for Wilson that he may miss out on the opportunity, but he and his family obviously have bigger concerns at the moment.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114466-ed-wilson-was-in-line-to-be-next-coordinator

If -- and I emphasize that -- this is not Arians' decision and not Tomlin's, then the question is not only who will be the next coordinator, but who will hire him?

Interesting...

I'm not sure how to feel about this, to be honest. It's the change that I really want to see, but at the same time I always get nervous when ownership starts messing with the coaching staff. Of course, our ownership isn't Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones, but still :lol:

feltdizz
01-19-2012, 10:31 AM

He isn't awful by a long shot...

I would love to see a new OC to see if we magically become a 40 point team...

phillyesq
01-19-2012, 10:57 AM

He isn't awful by a long shot...

I would love to see a new OC to see if we magically become a 40 point team...

He isn't awful, but rarely do you hear about him doing anything exceptional, either. In Denver, for example, they explained how they ran a different variation of a play to take advantage of Troy's propensity to gamble. They also came out with a run look in OT, knowing that most of their drives had started with a run, and called a perfect play.

BA does some nice things with his multiple receiver sets, bunch formations and receiver drags. He isn't awful like some coordinators the Steelers have had in the past.

But, the bottom line is that his offense (or Ben's) simply does not get things done in the red zone and does not put enough points on the board.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Have Ben take what's there on 1st and 2nd down (thereby resulting in less 3rd and long situations). When we do run into 3rd and long situations (because of inevitable holding calls, false starts, sacks, etc.) then Ben can go into his "Holy Moly Ben Plays" mode.

JDSteeler
01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
The bottom line, for me is that, friggin arianus loves to waste plays...

RUTFM is my personal favorite!!!

He also had no scheme to keep Ben out of harms way, after Ben had the ankle...continuing to have him in 5 to 7 step drops, waiting for the WR's to
run 30 and 40 yard patterns down the field.

Oh and the best of the best is....wait for it....

If a play works, gains yards, first downs, and puts the defense on their heels...
Arianus never uses that play again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like run that play over and over again until they stop it, but Arianus never calls
it again!!

How about some friggin No Huddle!!!???

How about the many times the Steelers make a huge play, and have some
momentum, only to pop the momentum, like a lead balloon, by calling the RUTFM,
and get stuffed!!!

The whole Ben and Brucie relationship kinda scares me...I mean it seems as if these
two are inseparable...me don't like this...

Ben's game is good, it can be better!! Ben is stubborn, and needs a new pair of eyes
to not only make him see it for himself, if for no other reason than to keep him healthy.

You know what...I dont give a Rats Arianus who the Steelers get, it will be 1000%
better than the MOLE!!!!!!!

That's my :2c

JD

Slapstick
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
On another thread, I mentioned Clyde Christiansen as a possibility from outside the organization. He is currently the OC in Indianapolis and worked with Tomlin in Tampa...

Before Christiansen was promoted to OC, Peyton Manning had this to say about him:

...Clyde also for the most part for the last three years has basically been implementing our third-down package and our red-zone package and last year we were No. 1 in both categories. Tom has given him great flexibility and input.

Maybe he should be considered...

Steelgal
01-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Dang, my internet goes out for a day and look at the possible news!!! Maybe I should hope it goes out again, to seal the deal and have BA gone.

Not sure how I feel about replacing him with an in-house guy. I think Ben needs a fresh perspective from an outside coach, but the Rooney's know more than I do so I'll be happy with whatever they decide.

costanza2k1
01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
FIRE FITCHNER! He can't...he doesn't, he won't.....Sorry just getting ready for next season... :P

:lol:

ikestops85
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I got my hopes up too much last year. I am not going to do it again but it would be

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/threadbombs/Thread%20Bombs/Awesome/picnapoleondynamite1.jpg

Arians isn't the worst OC in the league but I think we can do better :D ... but just like anything else we can also do worse. :(

Northern_Blitz
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM

I think even in the most well oiled machine type offenses there are plenty of opportunities to adlib. Our issue is the ad-lib is the basis of our offense, or so it feels. I can't tell you how many times I turned to my wife & said 'this looks like a Chinese fire drill'!

I'm in agreement with Mr. P here. There will always be opportunities for that magic. But we rely on it too much right now IMO. I don't buy the all or nothing argument put forward by BR and BA.

I also think that to be successful as he ages, Ben needs to learn how to be good without the "Ben plays" and that this message needs to come from the coaches.

I worry that if Ben keeps playing the way he does 100% of the time that we'll see a lot of crazy magic plays in Sept/Oct and a lot of Pony Formation, Hobbling, and Batch/Dixon in Dec / Jan. Ben is Big, but can anyone take that kind of punishment consistently and still be reliable in the playoffs (especially when they get north of 30)?

SteelBucks
01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
On another thread, I mentioned Clyde Christiansen as a possibility from outside the organization. He is currently the OC in Indianapolis and worked with Tomlin in Tampa...

Before Christiansen was promoted to OC, Peyton Manning had this to say about him:

...Clyde also for the most part for the last three years has basically been implementing our third-down package and our red-zone package and last year we were No. 1 in both categories. Tom has given him great flexibility and input.

Another name I read today is Todd Haley. Local guy but I'm not sure if he is much different than Arians. Had success as the OC in Arizona.

All moot though if Arians stays. I'm sure Ben will be in his ear on their trip to the Pro Bowl.

RuthlessBurgher
01-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Another name I read today is Todd Haley. Local guy but I'm not sure if he is much different than Arians. Had success as the OC in Arizona.

All moot though if Arians stays. I'm sure Ben will be in his ear on their trip to the Pro Bowl.

Haley's kind of an douche, though. Don't think he'd be a good fit, in spite of his history as a ball boy here as a kid when his dad was working in our personnel dept.

NW Steeler
01-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Hard to say how Haley would do. My first impression is that he appears very combative and would seriously butt heads with Ben. Then again, maybe that is exactly what Ben needs at this point of his career. I am not too concerned about keeping Ben "happy". He has 100 million dollars that should take care of that. If the new OC makes Ben a better QB and makes the Steelers offense better - i.e.- scoring more points - then I'm sure Ben will come around to whomever the new guy may be. It's about the team- not one player.

feltdizz
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
[quote]Less sacks means (1) less chance of injury, (2) less chance of fumbles, (3) less 3rd and real longs (which in turn leads to less sacks), and (4) less BR miraculous HOLY $HIT HOW DID HE MAKE THAT PLAY moments. It also means having BR in the NFL for longer.

I'm in agreement with Mr. P here. There will always be opportunities for that magic. But we rely on it too much right now IMO. I don't buy the all or nothing argument put forward by BR and BA.

I also think that to be successful as he ages, Ben needs to learn how to be good without the "Ben plays" and that this message needs to come from the coaches.

I worry that if Ben keeps playing the way he does 100% of the time that we'll see a lot of crazy magic plays in Sept/Oct and a lot of Pony Formation, Hobbling, and Batch/Dixon in Dec / Jan. Ben is Big, but can anyone take that kind of punishment consistently and still be reliable in the playoffs (especially when they get north of 30)?[/quote:14mafew2]

:Agree

The problem is Ben still looks like he did 5 years ago most of the time. It was great when Ben was young and tossing guys around but now guys are crushing him on some of these hits.

Even the DB's have figured out how to tackle him by grabbing his passing arm.

The reporter who said it would be nice to see a 5 yard dump off without the drama is spot on... You can tell Ben played a lot of pick up football games as a kid. LOL

feltdizz
01-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Hard to say how Haley would do. My first impression is that he appears very combative and would seriously butt heads with Ben. Then again, maybe that is exactly what Ben needs at this point of his career. I am not too concerned about keeping Ben "happy". He has 100 million dollars that should take care of that. If the new OC makes Ben a better QB and makes the Steelers offense better - i.e.- scoring more points - then I'm sure Ben will come around to whomever the new guy may be. It's about the team- not one player.

While this may be true I wonder if Ben will rebel or act up off the field if he butts heads with the new OC.

NW Steeler
01-19-2012, 02:29 PM

While this may be true I wonder if Ben will rebel or act up off the field if he butts heads with the new OC.

Sorry, but I don't believe in coddling a guy that you handed a $100 million contract. It will be to his benefit to get some tough love, IMO. We waited over 20 years to get a franchise QB after Bradshaw when Ben fell in our laps and I am grateful. But he is not bigger than this organization.

feltdizz
01-19-2012, 02:46 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":10v1k7fs]Hard to say how Haley would do. My first impression is that he appears very combative and would seriously butt heads with Ben. Then again, maybe that is exactly what Ben needs at this point of his career. I am not too concerned about keeping Ben "happy". He has 100 million dollars that should take care of that. If the new OC makes Ben a better QB and makes the Steelers offense better - i.e.- scoring more points - then I'm sure Ben will come around to whomever the new guy may be. It's about the team- not one player.

Sorry, but I don't believe in coddling a guy that you handed a $100 million contract. It will be to his benefit to get some tough love, IMO. We waited over 20 years to get a franchise QB after Bradshaw when Ben fell in our laps and I am grateful. But he is not bigger than this organization.[/quote:10v1k7fs]

but like you said, we waited 20 years..... and after 3 SB appearances I don't think the FO will approach him this way.

I think bringing Tomlin in when we had Whiz in house pretty showed us how much they respect what Ben thinks.

this isn't the 60's... players like Ben have a ton of power.

SteelTorch
01-19-2012, 02:54 PM

You mean the way you attack LeBeau from your La-Z? :lol:

:moon

Jigawatts
01-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Good riddance. Don't let the 3 man rush hit ya on the way out.

SteelTorch
01-19-2012, 03:03 PM

:wft

Where is this guy getting his stats?? For example,in 2010 the offense was nowhere near 5th. We were 12th in points per game, and 14th in yards per game! This past season we were 21st in points per game and 12th in yards per game!

NW Steeler
01-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Well played, sir. Well played.

Slapstick
01-19-2012, 03:17 PM

:wft

Where is this guy getting his stats?? For example,in 2010 the offense was nowhere near 5th. We were 12th in points per game, and 14th in yards per game! This past season we were 21st in points per game and 12th in yards per game!

If it's Football Outsiders, then it is probably DVOA as opposed to a strict yardage and/or scoring measurement...

MeetJoeGreene
01-19-2012, 03:20 PM

:Bow :Bow :Beer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
01-19-2012, 03:55 PM

It's a Lane and don't underestimate the benefit of balanced criticism versus piling on and then hiding our heads in the sand and ignore problems on the defense without any debate.

Take half of what I write with a grain of salt to get past the same boring bashing of the offense while the defense has been far from stellar except in meaningless rankings.

phillyesq
01-19-2012, 05:05 PM

It's a Lane and don't underestimate the benefit of balanced criticism versus piling on and then hiding our heads in the sand and ignore problems on the defense without any debate.

Take half of what I write with a grain of salt to get past the same boring bashing of the offense while the defense has been far from stellar except in meaningless rankings.

By not "piling on," you mean not coming on the board in the middle of games to complain about the defense and complaining about the defense after every loss (and even wins where the defense holds an opponent to single digit points) while abstaining from making those posts after a good game by the D?

Steelhere10
01-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Sorry folks, but I think BA is coming back. It is now reported that the decision is up to Tomlin per Art himself .

NW Steeler
01-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Sorry folks, but I think BA is coming back. It is now reported that the decision is up to Tomlin per Art himself .

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

NorthCoast
01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Here is the thing; if you are even considering retiring it means your heart is no longer in it to the level it has to be to compete at the level of a pro. Way too many ultra-hungry guys out there that would spend 100 hrs a week to gameplan... which is what it takes to compete at the NFL level.

feltdizz
01-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Here is the thing; if you are even considering retiring it means your heart is no longer in it to the level it has to be to compete at the level of a pro. Way too many ultra-hungry guys out there that would spend 100 hrs a week to gameplan... which is what it takes to compete at the NFL level.

..and yet, we asked him back :stirpot

I think that says a lot about how our FO feels about Arians and our offense.

Sugar
01-19-2012, 11:10 PM

I really can't agree with that. BA knows the cost and just because he weighs it to see if it's still in him doesn't mean his heart isn't in it at all, IMO. To me, reflection is important. It's even more important when your job is as demanding as his is.

phillyesq
01-20-2012, 10:11 AM
From Wexell this morning -- not sure where else it fits:

jimwexell James C Wexell
Always amusing how ballwashers in Pgh media portray Arians' critics as yinzers who couldn't understand X&O complexities, as if they do.

phillyesq
01-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Bires: Steelers wants more from offense than Arians gives them - Timesonline.com: Local Sports
Bires: Steelers wants more from offense than Arians gives them
Mike Bires Times Sports Staff | Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Steelers' NFL offensive rankings under Bruce Arians

YEAR=TOTAL YARDS=SCORING

2007=17th=tie 9th (24.6 ppg)

2008=22nd=20th (21.7 ppg)

2009=7th=12th (23.0 ppg)

2010=14th=12th (23.4 ppg)

2011=12th=21st (20.3 ppg)

MIKE BIRES COLUMN

Last week when I saw Bruce Arians at Steelers headquarters, I asked if he'd be back in 2012.

"Yeah, I'll be back," he said.

But as it turns out, it doesn't look like he will return. There's growing speculation that Arians is being forced out. His five-year run as offensive coordinator is all but officially over.

Word is that either team president Art Rooney or coach Mike Tomlin - or perhaps both - have told Arians he must resign or be fired.

So it appears that all those Arians critics, and there sure are plenty of them, will get their wish. That won't have B.A. to bash any more.

If indeed Arians is done, it will be interesting to see Ben Roethlisberger's reaction.

They are very close friends. They golf together. They play cards together. They even own homes in the same golf course community near Atlanta, Ga. They are so close that Roethlisberger is taking Arians and his wife Christine to Hawaii next week for the Pro Bowl.

To be sure, there have been some prolific offensive performances under Arians' watch.

Roethlisberger set franchise records with 32 touchdown passes and a 104.1 passer rating in 2007 and 4,328 passing yards in 2008.

Willie Parker led the NFL in rushing in 2007 before breaking his leg in the 15th game of the season.

Rashard Mendenhall's 1,273 yards in 2010 rank fifth on the team's all-time rushing list.

Twice under Arians, the Steelers had a pair of wideouts who both racked over 1,000 yards in receiving yards (Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes in '09, and Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown this season).

And don't forget that the Steelers did play in the Super Bowl twice in the past four years and won one of them.

However, the Steelers have never been an dynamic high-scoring offensive machine under Arians.

Only once under Arians have the Steelers ranked in the top 10 in total offense (No. 9 in 2009). Only once have the Steelers ranked in the top 10 in scoring offense (tied for ninth in 2007).

And this year, the Steelers only averaged 20.3 points per game. That's their lowest point production since 2003 when they averaged 18.8.

Granted, the Steelers seem to always had issues on the offensive line. That certainly was the case again this season. But ultimately, the coach is man who's most accountable.

That's why someone with authority is forcing Arians out. Either Rooney or Tomlin or both want more from the offense.

Arians, who's 59 and a prostate cancer survivor, did consider retirement a year ago. But he was talked out of it by Roethlisberger.

Last February, Arians didn't even join Tomlin and the other Steeler coaches in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine as he spent time deciding whether or not to return for the 2011 season.

This year, it appears he has no say in the matter.

Steelgal
01-20-2012, 10:58 AM
The post was from Jim Wexell in the last 15 minutes on an Insider board I follow

"It's now apparently between Arians and Tomlin, and should be decided today, according to Art II on WDVE this morning.

Sounds like he could be back. The P-G was right."

If Tomlin allows him back, when it's apparent that mgmt doesn't, I just lost a whole lotta respect for him. Show a backbone and move into a new direction.

Sword
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
"But we both think the same in the no-huddle, that we call a lot more runs because we know that's what we're supposed to do. And I don't know if that's 'supposed to' from the fans, the media, the owner, who knows? But it's just a feeling that you have that we better run the ball some. So we do think alike in a lot of those ways."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/34458966 (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34458966)

The link above is from another site reporting on the PG's speculation and the quote above is from Ben. If they run an offense based partly on what they believe the masses want it's no wonder the offense struggles. If they want to throw it more, then do it! There were many times in the red zone, especially between the the 5 yd line and the goal line, that I couldnt believe they kept running it. This has been my biggest problem with Arians since he took over.

AGREED ^ Red zone - to many run Attempts....They need some great passing plays in Red Zone

Sword

Sugar
01-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm good with whatever Coach T decides. He has access to all the same info we do. He also understands the locker room dynamics there better than any of us, or the Sr. Management for that matter. The fact is that the Steelers need to score more and score more TD's. If he feels that Arians can help that happen with minimal invasion, I'm all for it.

Sword
01-20-2012, 11:19 AM
The bottom line, for me is that, friggin arianus loves to waste plays...

RUTFM is my personal favorite!!!

He also had no scheme to keep Ben out of harms way, after Ben had the ankle...continuing to have him in 5 to 7 step drops, waiting for the WR's to
run 30 and 40 yard patterns down the field.

Oh and the best of the best is....wait for it....

If a play works, gains yards, first downs, and puts the defense on their heels...
Arianus never uses that play again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like run that play over and over again until they stop it, but Arianus never calls
it again!!

How about some friggin No Huddle!!!???

How about the many times the Steelers make a huge play, and have some
momentum, only to pop the momentum, like a lead balloon, by calling the RUTFM,
and get stuffed!!!

The whole Ben and Brucie relationship kinda scares me...I mean it seems as if these
two are inseparable...me don't like this...

Ben's game is good, it can be better!! Ben is stubborn, and needs a new pair of eyes
to not only make him see it for himself, if for no other reason than to keep him healthy.

You know what...I dont give a Rats Arianus who the Steelers get, it will be 1000%
better than the MOLE!!!!!!!

That's my :2c

JD

WOW...you must have read my mind...I saw everything you mentioned...

Sword

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
The post was from Jim Wexell in the last 15 minutes on an Insider board I follow

"It's now apparently between Arians and Tomlin, and should be decided today, according to Art II on WDVE this morning.

If Tomlin allows him back, when it's apparent that mgmt doesn't, I just lost a whole lotta respect for him. Show a backbone and move into a new direction.

Ummm...isn't doing what you think is right instead of what management wants you to do the very definition of backbone?

Steelgal
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Ummm...isn't doing what you think is right instead of what management wants you to do the very definition of backbone?

I guess I mis-spoke. I don't think tomlin has the confidence to fire a coordinator. Instead he'd rather have status-quo, which is terrible red zone efficiency and a BFF for his quarterback instead of a coach. If BA stays, get ready for another season of bubble screens, RUTHM, and plays that leave you scratching your head for most of the game.

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 11:35 AM

I guess I mis-spoke. I don't think tomlin has the confidence to fire a coordinator. Instead he'd rather have status-quo, which is terrible red zone efficiency and a BFF for his quarterback instead of a coach. If BA stays, get ready for another season of bubble screens, RUTHM, and plays that leave you scratching your head for most of the game.

I think Tomlin has the confidence to fire any assistant, but he needs to feel that it is warranted...

I think Tomlin is looking at 50+ wins in 5 seasons, 2 SB appearances, 1 SB win and all of the injuries on offense and wonders if it's warranted...

Some of the same people who say that the Steelers' #1 defensive ranking is a mirage are the same people who cite the Steelers' offensive ranking as evidence why Arians has to go...

ikestops85
01-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Not that I'm a big Arians supporter but 2007 was the last decent offensive line the Steelers put on the field. Even that year they were on a downward slide from the mountain top they sat at in 2004. Starting in 2008 our O line was absolutely horrible ... I don't care what Ben says. We might have won the SB that year but that was on the backs of the defense, the clutch play of Holmes down the stretch (receiver and punt returner), and Ben.

I think our red zone problem can be directly contributed to the offensive line. When you are 1st and goal at the 1 and are just as likely to lose 3 yards on a run as you are to score your O line stinks. Just look at the first Cleveland game this year where we couldn't put it in given 4 chances. I have never seen offensive linemen that can completely wiff on blocks in short yardage situations like we have on this team.

No question Arians could get a little creative to help us score more when in the red zone but should he have to?

phillyesq
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Here is the counter point from Ron Cook against firing Arians. He paints the picture that all is fine and dandy, but bottom line, if the Steelers have weapons all over on offense and an elite QB, why do they score so little?

Cook: Ousting Arians is unwise
Friday, January 20, 2012
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Seems like everyone is saying the Steelers need to spend more time and money on constructing a better offensive line. The team has invested $102 million in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Doesn't it need to do a better job keeping him healthy?

Well, here are two more questions:

Isn't it important to keep Roethlisberger happy?

If so, why are the Steelers on the verge of forcing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to retire?

It makes no sense.

The decision to push out Arians apparently has been made by team president Art Rooney II. The most recent time I talked to Arians about his future, he made it clear he wants to come back. "These young guys have made it so much fun for me," he said of the team's young wide receivers. It's believed coach Mike Tomlin wants Arians back. At his season-ending news conference after a wild-card playoff loss to the Denver Broncos, he said he anticipated his coaching staff remaining intact.

But Tuesday, Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that a few Steelers coaches are considering retirement. Surely, any official announcement about Arians -- perhaps this week or next -- will make it sound as if the retirement decision is his alone. Don't be fooled. That doesn't mean it isn't Rooney who has decided it's time for Arians to go.

It hardly matters that I think it's a big mistake. What does Tomlin think? He's a Super Bowl-winning coach and he's being told he has to fire a coordinator who he wants? No one is arguing that Rooney isn't the boss. Make no mistake, he is. But is this a good thing to do your coach? To emasculate him even a little bit? It's not as if the Steelers have been dreadful for a long time, as they were when Rooney's father, Dan, forced Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll to make staff changes. They went 12-4 this season before losing to the Broncos.

Firing Arians now is just as wrong as it would have been after the 2009 season when there was media speculation he was out. The Steelers went 9-7 and missed the playoffs that year, although the offense wasn't nearly as much to blame as the defense, which blew five fourth-quarter leads, and the special teams, which allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns. Roethlisberger went to management and Tomlin and argued to keep Arians. It's hard to say what impact he had, but Arians stayed. Good thing because the team made it to the Super Bowl in '10. In '08, it won Super Bowl XLIII with Arians calling the plays, including those on the late, 78-yard winning drive.

It's nice to think Rooney will realize he's making a mistake and change his mind before the official Arians retirement announcement is made.

There's no doubt Roethlisberger will fight for Arians again, if he hasn't done so already. Last year, he said of Arians: "He gets way, way too much blame and criticism. It's kind of unfortunate because he's so good. If you ask the players, we know." Only days before a playoff loss Jan. 8 in Denver, he said of Arians and the offense: "We've got something special here. We've got a lot of great young players. As long as they don't get crazy and change the offense -- that can really set you back -- the sky is the limit for this team."

It's no secret Roethlisberger and Arians are close. "I can talk to him about anything," Roethlisberger has said. That has led some to suggest Roethlisberger needs more of a coach than a friend. I disagree. Tomlin is his coach. Roethlisberger needs that relationship with Arians -- or one similar to it -- to be the best he can be. Arians has helped him to become one of the NFL's top quarterbacks and has him on a path headed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Sure, maybe the next coordinator will be better for Roethlisberger and the offense. But maybe not, too.

"He's been able to break down the playbook to exactly what Ben likes," Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch said of Arians. "This offense is Ben's offense ...

"People always are going to have flak because of the way the offense performs, but Ben is the first one to step up and say, 'This offense goes how I go. If I play well, we win. If I don't, we lose.' "

Roethlisberger always takes the blame after bad games. He has said Arians puts him and the offense in the best position to be successful.

"If I tell him I hate a play, he won't call it," Roethlisberger said. "He doesn't have an ego that way. He doesn't ever say, 'We're going to do it my way.' It's the same way with the receivers ... he has enough faith in his players to do that. He's a players' guy."

Batch said Arians brings something to Roethlisberger and the Steelers that Rooney should understand and appreciate as the boss of a franchise that has had three head coaches in the past 43 years.

"He brings consistency," Batch said. "You don't want to change that right now when Ben is actually entering into the prime of his career. I don't see why you would want to change."

Really.

Why would you want to change?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/12 ... z1k0xXAY1v (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204705-87-0.stm#ixzz1k0xXAY1v)

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Not that I'm a big Arians supporter but 2007 was the last decent offensive line the Steelers put on the field. Even that year they were on a downward slide from the mountain top they sat at in 2004. Starting in 2008 our O line was absolutely horrible ... I don't care what Ben says. We might have won the SB that year but that was on the backs of the defense, the clutch play of Holmes down the stretch (receiver and punt returner), and Ben.

I think our red zone problem can be directly contributed to the offensive line. When you are 1st and goal at the 1 and are just as likely to lose 3 yards on a run as you are to score your O line stinks. Just look at the first Cleveland game this year where we couldn't put it in given 4 chances. I have never seen offensive linemen that can completely wiff on blocks in short yardage situations like we have on this team.

No question Arians could get a little creative to help us score more when in the red zone but should he have to?

..but I think people aren't giving Cleveland enough credit for their GL stand. The week earlier they stopped Baltimore on the GL and they showed highlights of them stopping 2 other teams in the same manner.

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey guys!

Guess what?

Bruce Arians might not return!!!

NorthCoast
01-22-2012, 10:08 AM

I think Tomlin has the confidence to fire any assistant, but he needs to feel that it is warranted...

I think Tomlin is looking at 50+ wins in 5 seasons, 2 SB appearances, 1 SB win and all of the injuries on offense and wonders if it's warranted...

Some of the same people who say that the Steelers' #1 defensive ranking is a mirage are the same people who cite the Steelers' offensive ranking as evidence why Arians has to go...

My guess is that Tomlin's biggest quandary was the current staff has gotten to the playoffs more often than not. If he hires a new OC, there are no guarantees of success and they could actually manage to do worse (consider half the offenses in the league are ranked lower, but remember those offenses don't have Ben Roethlisberger at QB).

Tomlin now gets to picks 'his man' for the job, instead of taking someone that was already there.