PDA

View Full Version : Rooney gives his state of the Steelers

drprwnap
01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Over the course of 30 minutes Tuesday afternoon, Art Rooney laid out plenty of information and his own opinions about the Steelers of 2011 and where they are headed in '12.

It included his statement that the Steelers find themselves in their stickiest salary-cap situation in the past 20 years, his idea that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger needs to "tweak" his style in order to get sacked less, that his offense needs to score more and that some tough decisions will have to be made on venerable veteran players that might include Hines Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith.

He also predicted his father, Dan Rooney, will step down as Ambassador to Ireland this year and return in some capacity to the Steelers.

The Steelers are about $25 million over their individual salary cap which should be around $124 million next season and are deciding how to shed about 20 percent of that payroll by the March 13 deadline.

"I would say it's probably as big an issue as we've had to face," Rooney said. "There will be some tough decisions. There will probably have to be some contracts that get restructured and things like that. No question, there's a lot of work to be done."

Rooney would not say which players might have to either go or have their salaries scaled back in order for them to stick around. When asked specifically about Ward and his status for 2012, he was noncommittal.

"Hines is a great player. He's one of the all-time Steelers. Hopefully, he's a Hall of Famer. All of those things, you want it to end the right way whenever it ends. But it's a two-party decision. We'll evaluate how we feel about it over the next few weeks, we'll talk to Hines -- I've already had one conversation with Hines, so the communications are already started. We will all get to our decision in due time."

Among the many topics Rooney broached Tuesday:

Despite the bloated payroll that must be pared, "it's not a situation where we're looking to sort of tear things apart and start over. There are a lot of key pieces to the puzzle and young players on offense that I think will get better, the receivers being a particular bright spot. We have a couple good young offensive linemen. We have our franchise quarterback. So, I think the pieces are there to get better. We just have to do what we need to do to build on that."

Roethlisberger needs to take fewer sacks as he turns 30.

"I'm not sure if I'd say change his style of play. He may need to tweak it a little bit, but Ben is Ben, and you wouldn't want to try to convince him to completely change his game. A lot of what he does is the reason he is successful. On the other side of the coin, he is turning 30, and we do need him to stay healthy, and taking fewer sacks would probably help that equation."

He expects Dan Rooney to step down as Ambassador and return to the Steelers this year.

"I think he'll come back and be a key player, let's put it that way. He obviously enjoys being part of the team. We'll look forward to having him back whenever he decides he's coming back. He hasn't given me a date yet."

No question, Rooney said, that signing wide receiver Mike Wallace "will be one of the priorities" this year. Wallace becomes a restricted free agent March 13.

The Steelers will add 3,000 seats to Heinz Field after the 2012 season. They will be in the open end zone, where the temporary seats were installed for the Penguins' Winter Classic. They will turn to their season-ticket waiting list to sell them.

Rooney said a few coaches are considering retirement, but would not say who they might be. (Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has told them he wants to return.)

He called the Steelers' 29-23 loss on the first play of overtime in the wild-card playoff game at Denver "the worst ending to a playoff game" he has experienced. He said, however, that injuries were not to blame.

"We didn't reach our ultimate goal," Rooney said. "But, on the other side, there are positive things we can take out of it." Among those: A good mix of younger and older players, including younger players they signed to long-term deals last year who they hope will become a new core for the future.

As for some of the negatives: "We need to take fewer sacks," need to be more consistent on offense, need to do better than No. 21 in scoring, need to come up with more sacks and turnovers on defense. "Those are areas we want to try to be better at next year," Rooney said.

The positives: "We have a good mix of younger players and veterans on this team." And they have their quarterback signed long-term.

He thought Mike Tomlin and his coaches "did a good job," especially because the lockout put "more pressure" on the coaching staff.

Under normal circumstances, the Steelers make no splash in free agency and, with their cap the way it is, that will hold true again.

"It's unlikely that we'll be a big player in the free-agent market, I think that's fair to say. I think it will be similar to how we pursued it in the past. Our key interest will be to keep the players we have, to see if we can sign some of our younger players to longer-term contracts, that will be our key goal. If we have an opportunity to fit in a piece here and a piece there, we'll look at it."

Rooney also said he was "optimistic" about the ultimate recovery of Kirby Wilson, the Steelers running backs coach severely burned in a home fire Jan. 6. Later, Wilson's family released the following statement:

"Mr. Kirby Wilson remains in critical condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh. In addition to burns sustained over 45 percent of his body, he has suffered a smoke inhalation injury and will require multiple operative procedures in the future."

Quick hits
Tyler Grisham, a popular receiver on the Steelers practice squad the past three seasons, was signed by the Denver Broncos. ... Doctors are still evaluating Brett Keisel's groin injury in the playoff at Denver to determine if he needs surgery. ... Rashard Mendenhall has had surgery on his ACL

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12018/12 ... z1jojKDqH6 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12018/1204146-66-0.stm#ixzz1jojKDqH6)

Thank God the old man is coming back. Maybe, just maybe he can talk some sense into the other owners about Adolf Badell and the (wrong) direction the leage is heading. Doubtful but if anyone has a chance, it's Dan. :Beer

feltdizz
01-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Ben has to take less sacks... where have we heard that before? :stirpot

I think we are in a good place. We have to cut a few guys and restructure a few contracts but we've done a pretty good job at getting younger IMO.

flippy
01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Who's retiring?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Good Luck to Tyler Grisham.

pittpete
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Rooney said a few coaches are considering retirement, but would not say who they might be

Hope this is code for we are tired of Bruce Arians :tt2

fezziwig
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
To me Art Rooney is hungry for championships. Art Sr. and Dan to my knowledge ever spoke up about team items. I remember the season prior to Bill Cowher super bowl win, Art Jr. after the season said something to the affect. "I'm ready to win a Super Bowl " or something to the point of, he has given Cowher all that he has needed now return me the trophy. That is how I read into it.

I pray to God that Arians is the coach that would like to retire.
I too have been saying what Art has said, " injuries are not the reason why we lost to the Broncos. " Didn't help not having our starters but, Lebeau with his non defense and Arians couldn't score at a cat house along with Tomlin not being a real head coach is what really beat us.
There should be no props for our coaches when dealing with the lockout. Every coach outside of Bellicheat had to face the same thing.

Ghost
01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Lots of things he said were the same things said here, often repeatedly, that others shouted down b/c it's just a message board. I think there are some very knowledgeable fans posting here (some nutbags as well...)

feltdizz
01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
To me Art Rooney is hungry for championships. Art Sr. and Dan to my knowledge ever spoke up about team items. I remember the season prior to Bill Cowher super bowl win, Art Jr. after the season said something to the affect. "I'm ready to win a Super Bowl " or something to the point of, he has given Cowher all that he has needed now return me the trophy. That is how I read into it.

I too have been saying what Art has said, " injuries are not the reason why we lost to the Broncos. " Didn't help not having our starters but, Lebeau with his non defense and Arians couldn't score at a cat house along with Tomlin not being a real head coach is what really beat us.
There should be no props for our coaches when dealing with the lockout. Every coach outside of Bellicheat had to face the same thing.

I hope it's Aians too...

I'm sick of hearing people whine about him.

Oviedo
01-18-2012, 04:25 PM

I hope it's Aians too...

I'm sick of hearing people whine about him.

Hallelujah!!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!

Imagine the joy of a message board without Arians threads...at least until the fourth or fifth game under a new OC and then he would be deeemed an idiot too. I'll take those four or five games.

SteelCrazy
01-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Other than Arians and LeBeau (who is returning), who is around the typical retirement age? Granted, with the dollars these guys are given any could afford to, but who is around that typical age?

hawaiiansteel
01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Rooney II: 'I think there are a lot of pieces in place'

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Art Rooney II likes the Steelers' blend of youth and experience, and the team president said he doesn't anticipate making sweeping changes after the team's 29-23 loss to Denver in the AFC playoffs.

"It's not a situation where we're looking to tear things apart and start over," Rooney said today in a wide-ranging interview. "I think there are a lot of pieces in place."

The biggest question facing the Steelers this offseason is keeping the core of their team together. The Steelers are around $25 million over the salary cap, which means the team has to make some tough decisions before March 13, the start of the new NFL year.

"There's no question salary cap's an issue," Rooney said. "It's probably as big an issue as we've had to face."

Rooney said restructuring contracts and shedding salary are ways that the Steelers will get in compliance with the cap. The Steelers, he added, faced significant cap issues before the beginning of last season and were able to work through them. When asked his overall thoughts on the 2011 season, Rooney said, "We didn't reach out ultimate goal but there are positives we can take out of it and things we can build on. That's the process we're starting now, is to figure out how we get better in 2012."

Here are some other highlights from Rooney's first interview since the season ended:

He praised Hines Ward but did not commit to bringing the Steelers all-time leading receiver back in 2012.

"He's one of the all-time Steelers," Rooney said, "Hopefully he'll be a Hall of Famer. You want it end the right way when it ends."

He said signing wide receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term contract will be one of the Steelers' top priorities this offseason.

Wallace, who is starting in the Pro Bowl at the end of the month, will be a restricted free agent in March.

Rooney also said the youth and depth the Steelers have at wide receiver is a "particularly bright" spot.

Rooney said the Steelers need to become more consistent on offense and that they need to take less sacks.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 42 times during the regular season. His sack totals are always high, in part because of Roethlisberger's tendency to hold onto the ball and try to extend plays.

When asked if Roethlisberger has to change his style of play, Rooney said, He may need to tweak it a little bit but Ben is Ben and you wouldn't want to convince him that he's got to completely change his game because a lot of what we does is the reasons he's successful. The other side of the coin is he is turning 30 and we do need him to stay healthy."

Rooney said the Steelers will add 3,000 seats to Heinz Field following the 2012 season. Plans to expand the stadium were put on hold by the NFL lockout that wiped out the 2011 offseason.

He said he expects his father, Dan, to step down after serving one term as U.S. Ambassador to Ireland.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1jqDCnom8 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_777039.html#ixzz1jqDCnom8)

Steelers>NFL
01-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Other than Arians and LeBeau (who is returning), who is around the typical retirement age? Granted, with the dollars these guys are given any could afford to, but who is around that typical age?
My guess, it is in fact Arians who will retire. He was retiring last year, unitl Ben talked him out of it.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Anyone want to bet if we kick Hines to the curb that the Patriots have him signed up within a short period of time & he goes on for 2 more seasons and kicks butt?

ikestops85
01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I wonder if he feels we have a consistent running game again with Redman in the backfield? :stirpot

Slapstick
01-18-2012, 06:29 PM

D-Line coach John Mitchell is getting to be about retirement age. He was an assistant with Bruce Arians at Alabama under Bear Bryant. Hell, Coach Mitchell played for Bryant.

fezziwig
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Good question on what coach is at the age of retirement. The oldest that I'm aware of is Lebeau and Arians. Boy, oh boy, I hope it is Arians so people realize us whiners have been right all along.

I know the offensive line has had it's troubles but, what team has all their pieces in place ? Even at that, this is why Arian needs to go. Say that we do have a poor offensive line, Arian does nothing to get around it. He doesn't back off the defenses with screens, short passes, more shot guns, no huddles or a fullback or even anytype of run game. Then there are tightends on this team that could be implemented better.

You have an injured Ben but Arian has him throwing it 40 times a game when, our runningbacks are crushing the opponents.

Yep, I'll biitch about Arians and now Tomlin too for not trying to make improvements by getting rid of his sorry asss. Prior to last season I was going to put Tomlin on my shiit list because he did nothing about Arians or at least influenced him to make changes but, I held back on Tomlin since we have a lot of talented weapons on offense and I even figured Arians couldn't screw it up. WRONG !!!

Mister Pittsburgh
01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Considering Kirby Wilson just got totally burned maybe he will retire & the comment is directed toward that.

Steel Life
01-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Didn't Mitchell say something to the effect that he'd retire when the Aarron Smith, Hoke, Hampton & Keisel hung 'em up? Two of the three are definitely gone & the other two have serious injuries...would that be enough?

If Arians goes, do we assume that Randy Fichtner gets the job automatically or do they step outside the organization? And if so, who?...Tom Clements, Hugh Jackson, Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints)?

Wilson retiring is a no-brainer.

fezziwig
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
To with what Rooney said, I think you need to read between the lines.

First off he said that, injuries were not the cause of our loss to Denver. It wasn't the defense out with so many injuries but our offense. And having said that, the loss is on the offense. I know the defense screwed up but hey, we are the offense like so many others that doesn't have a fullback. Offenses today our high powered but just not our Steelers. He's blaming Arians for maybe not that loss but, an offense that struggles, can't make it in the redzone, yada, yada, yada with all of the fieldgoals that should have been some TD's in there every so often. Strike that, with our weapons on offense we, should be sprinkling in fieldgoals instead of the sprinkled in TD's that we do.

NW Steeler
01-19-2012, 07:14 PM
We have a couple good young offensive linemen

I guess he let the rest of those boys know how he feels about them.

grotonsteel
01-19-2012, 07:27 PM

First off he said that, injuries were not the cause of our loss to Denver. It wasn't the defense out with so many injuries but our offense. And having said that, the loss is on the offense. I know the defense screwed up but hey, we are the offense like so many others that doesn't have a fullback. Offenses today our high powered but just not our Steelers. He's blaming Arians for maybe not that loss but, an offense that struggles, can't make it in the redzone, yada, yada, yada with all of the fieldgoals that should have been some TD's in there every so often. Strike that, with our weapons on offense we, should be sprinkling in fieldgoals instead of the sprinkled in TD's that we do.

And why do you think he is not calling out the Defense? 23 points on road should be enough to defeat a QB like Tim Tebow. We were not playing Brady or Rodgers.

Art Rooney on the last play

""Well, it certainly was a tough ending. That was the worst last play of a season I've ever been through. Then again, it's the first time we've lost in the playoffs in overtime. "

And you still think he is calling the offense??

hawaiiansteel
01-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Salary cap issues have Steelers in quandary

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 18, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-01-17/0118RooneyInsideAP-b.jpg

The Steelers have serious salary cap issues, and their roster won't get any younger during an offseason that started sooner than the team expected following a 29-23 overtime playoff loss in Denver.

But sweeping changes aren't planned for an organization long synonymous with stability.

"It's not a situation where we're looking to tear things apart and start over," team president Art Rooney II said Tuesday in his first interview since the Steelers were upset in Denver on Jan. 8. "I think there are a lot of pieces in place. Getting younger on defense is a process that's already started. Obviously, we have some decisions to make with certain players and their contracts."

Rooney said the organization is in the beginning stages of prioritizing a lengthy offseason to-do list. The biggest question facing the Steelers is what the salary cap will allow them to do and what it may force them to do.

The Steelers are approximately $25 million over the salary cap, and they aren't counting on a spike in what teams are allowed to spend in 2012.

Rooney said the team has been told the cap limit won't significantly rise; it was just over $120 million last season.

"It's probably as big an issue as we've had to face," Rooney said.

But, Rooney said, the Steelers were in a similar situation last July following the end of the NFL lockout. Salary-cap issues didn't stop the Steelers from signing several players to long-term contracts, including linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, and strong safety Troy Polamalu.

Rooney said the Steelers will have to restructure contracts something they did last year to get in compliance with the cap. They also may have to release some veteran players.

Wide receiver Hines Ward is among several established Steelers who face an uncertain future in Pittsburgh.

Rooney said he has had a phone conversation with Ward, but he did not commit to bringing the Steelers' all-time leading receiver back for another season.

Ward, who has two years left on his contract and is set to make more than $4 million in 2012, said earlier this month that he has no plans to retire.

"He's one of the all-time Steelers," Rooney said. "Hopefully, he's a Hall of Famer. You want it to end the right way whenever it ends, but it's a two-party decision. We'll evaluate how we feel about it over the next few weeks."

Rooney said the youth and talent the Steelers have at wide receiver is "a particular bright spot." He also said the Steelers will try to sign Mike Wallace to a long-term contract. Wallace, who will start in the Pro Bowl at the end of the month, is a restricted free agent.

"There's no question Mike Wallace will be one of the priorities," Rooney said, "but we're at the beginning of that process."

Rooney said running back Rashard Mendenhall is a part of the Steelers' long-term plans. The team, Rooney said, will evaluate how Mendenhall progresses as he recovers from tearing his ACL in the regular-season finale in Cleveland.

Mendenhall, a 2008 first-round draft pick, is going into the final year of his contract.

"Whether we sign him in advance of this season or not; I think Rashard has demonstrated that he can be a major contributor for us," Rooney said, "so we'll more than likely be trying to sign him to a contract at the appropriate time, whenever that is."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1jwrVaB9z (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777127.html#ixzz1jwrVaB9z)

feltdizz
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Arian bashers are hilarious. You don't need 40 points to beat the Broncos.. 20 points is more than enough when you have the #1 D in football.

Arian haters are so obsessed every thing the read says Arians sucks.

fezziwig
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I've stated that the defense screwed up, there is no doubt with me that the defense lost this game. Still, had the offense put up more points, stuck with a run game that was working without an injured Ben throwing 40 times Tebow would have not had the ball in his hand so much.
Say all you want about the last game and it is on the defense but, to have all the weapons this team has on offense we should be putting up points like the Cheats and other good offenses.

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I've stated that the defense screwed up, there is no doubt with me that the defense lost this game. Still, had the offense put up more points, stuck with a run game that was working without an injured Ben throwing 40 times Tebow would have not had the ball in his hand so much.
Say all you want about the last game and it is on the defense but, to have all the weapons this team has on offense we should be putting up points like the Cheats and other good offenses.

you just said the loss was on the offense..

If we need 40 points to beat the Bronco's it really says something about our D. If we need to keep the ball out of Tebow's hands it says something about our D.

Tebow didn't dink and dunk us...

and we don't have Rodgers, Brees or Brady... we have Ben and he isn't known for pocket passing, he is known for extending plays. We will never put up points like those other teams week in and wee out.

Funny thing is... Brees and Rodgers are also done and they put up a ton of points all year. It takes more than that to win in the playoffs.

fezziwig
01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
With what Arians is trying to do with our offense of going for the rainbow passes, nothing underneath, not allowing for the the short stuff or allowing for ball control with the run game that, can add into as much of a factor with the losses.

Yes, we should have went to Denver and been able to put up 23 points and walked out of there with a win. So many people didn't even believe that the Broncos would put up a TD on us let alone beat us.

If Arian wants us to be this big passing offense, won't have a fullback, won't take the short stuff that is allowed then, he better be putting up a lot of points on the board so that, our defense doesn't need to keep other teams down to field goals.

He has his quarterback, his receivers, a number one pick at runningback. He wants TE over fullbacks that he doesn't use much anyway, he has it all and he still can't get the offense to take over a game.

I thought the offense did better last season and saved the defense many times and I have issues with Lebeau too. It's hard to complain about a guy that usually has the number 1 to 5 ranked defense but, when he losses it isn't usulaly he got out schemed or didn't adjust. That happens to be the case against the Broncos with Lebeau getting schooled. And to me, both Arians and Lebeau finally figured out how to have some success over the Cheats.

Ball control on offense to keep Brady on the bench, more man to man on defense and less blitzing on Brady because Brady, reads too fast and unloads too fast with accuracy.

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Arians doesn't put up points...that isn't his responsibility...

The players are supposed to do that...

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
With what Arians is trying to do with our offense of going for the rainbow passes, nothing underneath, not allowing for the the short stuff or allowing for ball control with the run game that, can add into as much of a factor with the losses.

Yes, we should have went to Denver and been able to put up 23 points and walked out of there with a win. So many people didn't even believe that the Broncos would put up a TD on us let alone beat us.

If Arian wants us to be this big passing offense, won't have a fullback, won't take the short stuff that is allowed then, he better be putting up a lot of points on the board so that, our defense doesn't need to keep other teams down to field goals.

He has his quarterback, his receivers, a number one pick at runningback. He wants TE over fullbacks that he doesn't use much anyway, he has it all and he still can't get the offense to take over a game.

I thought the offense did better last season and saved the defense many times and I have issues with Lebeau too. It's hard to complain about a guy that usually has the number 1 to 5 ranked defense but, when he losses it isn't usulaly he got out schemed or didn't adjust. That happens to be the case against the Broncos with Lebeau getting schooled. And to me, both Arians and Lebeau finally figured out how to have some success over the Cheats.

Ball control on offense to keep Brady on the bench, more man to man on defense and less blitzing on Brady because Brady, reads too fast and unloads too fast with accuracy.

BEN picks who he wants to pass to and he prefers the long passes.

The Saints game 2 years ago was a prime example of BA wanting to go vertical because all the routes were 25 yards up field.

This year Heath and AB were open a ton underneath but Ben went to Wallace. Wallace is great at opening things up for the WR's underneath but BEN has to throw to them.

Arians retired so we will see if the offense improves by a ton without him but I'm pretty sure as long as Wallace is on our team we will complain about the OC calling rainbow passes.

grotonsteel
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Steelers were the No.2 team on Offense regarding TOP. Now even though they did not score bunch of points they did control the ball which helped the Steelers Defense. Steelers move the ball from 20-20 very efficiently. Its the Red zone which is the achilles heel for Steelers Offense.

People have fallen in love with the game plan against Patriots. In the end Steelers scored only 25 points. Dink and Dunk offense did not solve red zone woes for Steelers.

Ball Control is never an issue with the Steelers offense. Scoring in Red Zone is an issue. Do i blame OC for that? Yes he should take some blame but players including Ben should take responsibility for failure to execute in the red zone.

I want Steelers OC to be replaced not because BA sucks but i think BA does not bring anything new to the plate. I want new OC to tweak the current system not overhaul it.

My Wish List from new OC:
I hope to see fewer runs on 1st down and in Red Zone. No more stupid 3 TE sets. I want more 3-4 WR set. And i want RB like Sproles in the backfield maybe Batch will be that person.

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Steelers were the No.2 team on Offense regarding TOP. Now even though they did not score bunch of points they did control the ball which helped the Steelers Defense. Steelers move the ball from 20-20 very efficiently. Its the Red zone which is the achilles heel for Steelers Offense.

People have fallen in love with the game plan against Patriots. In the end Steelers scored only 25 points. Dink and Dunk offense did not solve red zone woes for Steelers.

Ball Control is never an issue with the Steelers offense. Scoring in Red Zone is an issue. Do i blame OC for that? Yes he should take some blame but players including Ben should take responsibility for failure to execute in the red zone.

I want Steelers OC to be replaced not because BA sucks but i think BA does not bring anything new to the plate. I want new OC to tweak the current system not overhaul it.

I hope to see fewer runs on 1st down and in Red Zone. No more stupid 3 TE sets. I want more 3-4 WR set. And i want RB like Sproles in the backfield maybe Batch will be that person.

:Agree

I wonder if Mendenhall falls out of favor now that Arians is gone?

ikestops85
01-20-2012, 01:00 PM

:Agree

I wonder if Mendenhall falls out of favor now that Arians is gone?

I don't know if I want Mendy to fall out of favor. I just think Redman has earned the shot at being the #1 RB for us with Mendy as the change of pace guy. We actually ran against teams we should be able to run against with Redman as the man ... unlike what Mendy provided us.

This really isn't a knock on Mendy. I just don't think he is suited as well as Redman is to run behind our lousy offensive line. With a different line, one that opens holes, I think Mendy would be the guy.

fezziwig
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Many see the upside to Redman over Mendenhall and I do too if you compare desire of the two individuals. Redman just seems like he has the push or the want to in him more than Mendy. That being said, Mendenhalls to me is still more of a break away threat.

I'm curious if Mendenhall will recover from his injury fast enough, good enough for the Steelers to want him back. Having Redman is a pretty nice counter balance to the situation but, I still would like Mendenhall and Redman on the team if the dollars work out well enough.

As for Ben doing what Ben wants to do that, falls upon the OC and or the HC. If you guys think and are probably correct that Ben won't throw the underneath stuff then, that is his coaches responsibility to correct him.

Slapstick
01-20-2012, 01:54 PM
It is Ben's responsibility to correct himself...he is a professional...

The coaches can tell him what needs to happen, but if he doesn't do it, do they bench him?

When the Steelers have been so successful?

What would Art Rooney think about having his $100 million franchise QB on the bench?

Coaches are there to guide the players, but the players are professionals...

feltdizz
01-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Many see the upside to Redman over Mendenhall and I do too if you compare desire of the two individuals. Redman just seems like he has the push or the want to in him more than Mendy. That being said, Mendenhalls to me is still more of a break away threat.

I'm curious if Mendenhall will recover from his injury fast enough, good enough for the Steelers to want him back. Having Redman is a pretty nice counter balance to the situation but, I still would like Mendenhall and Redman on the team if the dollars work out well enough.

As for Ben doing what Ben wants to do that, falls upon the OC and or the HC. If you guys think and are probably correct that Ben won't throw the underneath stuff then, that is his coaches responsibility to correct him.

The problem is you need to perfect play called for Mend to break away. He is too much like FWP. We kept talking about the threat to break something long but 95% of his runs aren't going to the house and he was below average moving the chains IMO.

hawaiiansteel
01-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Too many overreact to Rooney II

Thursday, January 19, 2012
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Art Rooney II is pretty reliably a plain-spoken guy, most particularly for a lawyer, yet, when he offers his rare public analysis of the Steelers, you would think from the confused blowback that he had gone off on the potential implications of the complex jurisdictional issues in the $9.5 billion environmental lawsuit brought against Chevron by Ecuador's government.

Except that, in these matters, people actually pay attention.

When he mentioned after a 9-7 season in 2009 that he would like to see the club run the ball more consistently when it needed to, his audience extrapolated that to indicate a widespread playbook shredding and a total deconstruction of the Mike Tomlin-Bruce Arians mindset relating to offensive football.

By the time training camp came around, Rooney v. Passing Emphasis, 2010 was all but legal precedent, when, in reality, all Rooney meant was that when and if the ball is handed off, maybe there ought to be some running room.

This week, of course, Rooney mentioned to our own Ed Bouchette that Ben Roethlisberger might have to "tweak" his style of play "a little bit."

Right, a little bit.

That is an interesting if hardly portentous observation, but in the ever-roiling 24/7 Steelers news cycle, even the most benign observation from Art Rooney II ends up like a sparrow sucked into the engine of a Boeing 777.

So before the turbines rip every last feather into a billion shards and the endless media blab transforms a dead bird into a baby grand piano, here it is again:

"I'm not sure if I'd say change [Ben's] style of play," Rooney said. "He may need to tweak it a little bit, but Ben is Ben, and you wouldn't want to try to convince him to completely change his game. A lot of what he does is the reason he is successful. On the other side of the coin, he is turning 30, and we do need him to stay healthy and taking fewer sacks would probably help that equation."

Ben was sacked 40 times this past season, more than anyone except Alex Smith, who went down 44 times but somehow wound up playing in the NFC championship game Sunday for the San Francisco 49ers anyway. There is no point in arguing that the Steelers' long-term football fortunes would have a better prognosis were Roethlisberger not on the ground so often, but we might not be talking about any of this had Ben taken one fewer sack, the one that left him with a high ankle sprain the night of Dec. 8.

As it happens, there is a load of stale irony surrounding that moment.

Between April 30, 2006 and Sept. 3, 2010, the Steelers signed and waived former Penn State defensive tackle Scott Paxson six times. Had they just signed him for go-around No. 7, they might have saved their own No. 7 on that night and ultimately retained the ability to extend their season beyond the wild-card round.

Paxson broke into the pocket that Thursday in the uniform of the Cleveland Browns and recorded the only sack of his consistently undistinguished NFL career. Ben's passer rating that night was a season high 129.6, but, after that, he never exceeded 75.9. Charlie Batch, spelling him against St. Louis, posted a 79.4. After Paxson, Ben was Batch, minus a tweak or two.

Rooney's observations regarding his $100 million quarterback are otherwise perfectly modulated. You certainly would not want to change the way Roethlisberger goes about his football business in general.

He is one of only two humans to have won two Super Bowls before turning 27 (Tom Brady is the other) and one of only 10 humans to win multiple Super Bowls in a career (the balance of that trivia answer being: Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, John Elway, Bob Griese, Jim Plunkett, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach and Brady).

On the other hand, Ben's not God, and probably not even God's nephew, identified in the famous Tim Tebow Saturday Night Live skit as -- Tom Brady. Ben's not Tom Brady.

If you go by the league's final passer ratings, you can find three guys named Matt were better at this job this season than Ben: Ryan, Schaub and Stafford. There were another half dozen who rang up figures superior to Ben's 90.1. So let's not pretend No. 7 couldn't do with a "tweak."

The Steelers want him to get rid of the ball faster, the way teams that have studied Dick LeBeau's defense for years have found a way to do, thus avoiding the Blitzburgh factor that this year yielded only 35 sacks. That sounds like a pretty good idea.

That's all Art Rooney was saying the other day.

Naturally, by the time we get back to Latrobe, it'll seem like the entire point of training camp is deconstructing Ben.

Maybe they should start by having him throw left-handed. I've seen him do it in the portion of practice where cameras are allowed. Tell ya what, to my knowledge, Ben Roethlisberger has never been sacked while throwing a left-handed pass.

Hmmm.

Wonder if he'd wear No. 8.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12019/12 ... z1k3ySWTlS (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12019/1204448-150-0.stm#ixzz1k3ySWTlS)