PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OC

Mister Pittsburgh
01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Green Bay offensive coordinator Joe Philbin is supposed to interview with the Bucs for their vacant HC job. I hate the fact that the Steelers have decided to stick with Arians, per Tomlins season wrap up interview. I would love to see the Steelers bring in Packers QB coach Tom Clements who once roamed the sidelines in black and gold gear to see what he has to say. I think he would be a good replacement for Bruce as the OC.

Clements coached Kordell the year he made the pro bowl, and Maddox the year he made the pro bowl. If he can polish those two turds into pro bowl QB's then he should be able to create an offense to make Ben shine. He also coached up Elvis Grbac to a pro bowl QB in 2000.

2000 Elvis Grbac Pro Bowl QB
2001 Korkie Pro Bowl QB
2002 Maddox Pro Bowl QB

...also coached Brett Favre in one of Favres statistical best season in 2007, and also has coached up Aaron Rodgers into one of the best in the league. Rodgers early in his career had a lot of the same tendencies as Ben but now has progressed into an elite QB, unloading the ball quickly and letting his weapons do their job.

Steelers>NFL
01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Nah, it just makes to much sense not to fire BA, And hire someone OUTSIDE.
It would destrupt all the hot love fest Ben & BA have for one another. Be much easier to continue to :Binky Ben to keep him happy.
Meanwhile, we all can sit back and continue to watch this inept offense scoring 3s, while we feel like we are getting a colonosopy done in doing so. :HeadBanger

rockonsteel
01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Green Bay offensive coordinator Joe Philbin is supposed to interview with the Bucs for their vacant HC job. I hate the fact that the Steelers have decided to stick with Arians, per Tomlins season wrap up interview. I would love to see the Steelers bring in Packers QB coach Tom Clements who once roamed the sidelines in black and gold gear to see what he has to say. I think he would be a good replacement for Bruce as the OC.

Clements coached Kordell the year he made the pro bowl, and Maddox the year he made the pro bowl. If he can polish those two turds into pro bowl QB's then he should be able to create an offense to make Ben shine. He also coached up Elvis Grbac to a pro bowl QB in 2000.

2000 Elvis Grbac Pro Bowl QB
2001 Korkie Pro Bowl QB
2002 Maddox Pro Bowl QB

...also coached Brett Favre in one of Favres statistical best season in 2007, and also has coached up Aaron Rodgers into one of the best in the league. Rodgers early in his career had a lot of the same tendencies as Ben but now has progressed into an elite QB, unloading the ball quickly and letting his weapons do their job.

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. Too bad Tomlin is so love with Arians' mediocre offense, and apparently will make no such change. Its' fuggin' frustrating as hell to think that we have another season of clusterfukk offense to look forward to.

Rockon

steelz09
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Tomlin doesn't have any balls.....

Just like he didn't have the balls to walk up to Lebeau and tell him to change that stupid freakin' defense that had 10 guys in the box knowing that we already got torched over and over again

SidSmythe
01-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Just like he didn't have the balls to walk up to Lebeau and tell him to change that stupid freakin' defense that had 10 guys in the box knowing that we already got torched over and over again

oh please. everyone and their brother thought load up at the line and make Tebow beat you with his arm. It backfired!!

As for that final play, that was Mundy's fault. He timed everything wrong and left IKE hung out to dry.

feltdizz
01-17-2012, 07:27 PM

oh please. everyone and their brother thought load up at the line and make Tebow beat you with his arm. It backfired!!

As for that final play, that was Mundy's fault. He timed everything wrong and left IKE hung out to dry.

yep... but after the 4th or 5th long pass completion? :stirpot

LeBeau left IKE out to dry all game :wink:

NorthCoast
01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
On the otherhand, I had to listen to the radio today the comments on the "absolute masterful offensive gameplan" NE put together for Denver. Talked about it being pure genius the idea of lining Hernandez up in the backfield. It completely befuddled the Denver defense to the point guys were not even sure where they were supposed to stand in the defensive formation. And they had trouble the entire game with it.

What are the chances we could get something like that out of BA? BA and genius have never been used in the same sentence I am afraid to say.

SidSmythe
01-17-2012, 09:05 PM

yep... but after the 4th or 5th long pass completion? :stirpot

LeBeau left IKE out to dry all game :wink:

IKE's been isolated all season.

if the day before the game the defensive gameplan got leaked and it said "Steelers will stack the line, stop the NFL's #1 rush offense and make Tebow beat us with his arm" I think everyone would have said "Sounds good to me"

As for the last play, I really think Mundy was getting cute and got sucked up looking for run.

SS Laser
01-17-2012, 10:25 PM
On the otherhand, I had to listen to the radio today the comments on the "absolute masterful offensive gameplan" NE put together for Denver. Talked about it being pure genius the idea of lining Hernandez up in the backfield. It completely befuddled the Denver defense to the point guys were not even sure where they were supposed to stand in the defensive formation. And they had trouble the entire game with it.

What are the chances we could get something like that out of BA? BA and genius have never been used in the same sentence I am afraid to say.

Our main offense has 1 or 2 TE's in the back field. :P

The difference is NE used Hernandez as a RB, not a TE. But he did all the RB and TE stuff from that formation as far as I seen on TV.

Slapstick
01-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Until Arians signs a contract, there is still the possibility for change...

Now that the Colts have fired Jim Caldwell, their OC, Clyde Christiansen, might be available...

Tomlin worked with him in Tampa for several years...

BURGH86STEEL
01-18-2012, 01:14 AM

I don't believe lining up Hernandez in the back field was a revolutionary idea. Also doesn't sound like pure genius. The real problem for the Bronco defense was they didn't have anyone that could match up with Gronkowski. They also didn't get much pressure on Brady. It's difficult to get pressure on Brady when he is on his game.

What are the chances that Ben can play more like Brady on a consistent basis? If that ever happens, we will see more consistent scoring offense.

rockonsteel
01-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't believe lining up Hernandez in the back field was a revolutionary idea. Also doesn't sound like pure genius. The real problem for the Bronco defense was they didn't have anyone that could match up with Gronkowski. They also didn't get much pressure on Brady. It's difficult to get pressure on Brady when he is on his game.

What are the chances that Ben can play more like Brady on a consistent basis? If that ever happens, we will see more consistent scoring offense.

You don't think lining your TE up at HB, and actually using him to run the ball is revolutionary? It's at the very least uber-creative. And he gashed for about 65-70 yds doing that. The thing that makes it so genius, is that they set that up all season by using the same alignment, but instead of handing off to him, they were sending him on patterns out the backfield annd throwing it to him, creating out-of-the-backfield matchups that are completely different than the conventional RB out the backfield. Their defense didn't know what to do with that. I would say that's quite revolutionary and innovative.

BA would use him as a blocking FB.

And as long as BA is calling the shots, Ben and this offense will continue to struggle to score points consistently.

Rockon

Slapstick
01-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Again, it's all about execution...

The Browns ran a similar play earlier this year that failed miserably...

rockonsteel
01-18-2012, 11:26 AM

I'll take your word for that, but did Cleveland spend 16 games setting that play up, by passing from that set everytime during the season, and then throwing a complete curve ball, and actually handing it off to him? Because if they didn't do that, then it's moot point. A simple play that went bad. The Broncos had seen that play on tape maybe a dozen or so times the Pats ran that play over the course of the season. They were setting somebody up. The Broncos had no reason to think the Pats would hand off there. Yeah, it's about execution, but it's also about gameplanning, scheme and playcalling. It's a hell of a lot easier to execute when you keep the D on it 's heels and guessing.

Rockon

Slapstick
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm not saying it wasn't smart...

I'm saying that handing the ball off to someone who rarely, if ever, carries the ball in a live game is a risk...it's doubly risky in critical situations like playoff games...

But, when executed perfectly, it looks like a genius move...

rockonsteel
01-18-2012, 12:07 PM

I'm saying that handing the ball off to someone who rarely, if ever, carries the ball in a live game is a risk...it's doubly risky in critical situations like playoff games...

Well, when it's implemented by a genius, it tends to work out that way more times than not. And there is certainly a large contingent of people who consider Belichick a genius. And if you disagree, you can't dispute that at the very least, in comparison to Arians, he's Albert Einstein.

Rockon

Slapstick
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Not on October 30th... :Beer

feltdizz
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

definitely smart but not genius at all....

Pats* aren't known for their running game so it caught Denver off guard.

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Hernandez did bobble that QB exchange...he was lucky to pull that back in.

Slapstick
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Hernandez did bobble that QB exchange...he was lucky to pull that back in.

That's exactly what happened to the Browns...it was a fumble that the opponent recovered...

Ghost
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I, for one, am super excited for more games where the Steelers get inside the 15 yard line 5 times in a game and come away with 6 points. Not being able to put teams away allows them to showcase the stellar D. 4 tries inside the 2 with no score is a joy to watch! FG's > TD's :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I, for one, am super excited for more games where the Steelers get inside the 15 yard line 5 times in a game and come away with 6 points. Not being able to put teams away allows them to showcase the stellar D. 4 tries inside the 2 with no score is a joy to watch! FG's > TD's :tt2

Our failures in the red zone are a conspiracy, I tell you! The staff needs to justify what they are paying Shaun Suisham. Since he can't kick a FG over 40 yards to save his life, they have to give him many, many FG attempts from within the red zone area instead. We don't score TD's in the red zone on purpose in order to give Sushi more easy FG attempts, thereby bringing up his self-confidence. Way to go on another 28 yard FG, Shaun!!! :mrgreen:

NorthCoast
01-18-2012, 08:16 PM

So I have an electrical engineer, a mathematician, and an english major working on a project for me. I give the EE a complex warranty statistic to figure out, I ask the mathematician to design a new circuit, and I ask the english major to create new packaging for the whole thing. Why did they fail? Why can't they just execute?
Because you have guys doing things they are not very good at doing, that's why.
A closer to real life example?....try San Fran. How is it they are where they are with almost the exact same personnel as last season? A new coach that knows how to use their talent, that's how. He designed schemes for the players they have.

BA designs plays he knows. Problem is, he don't know much. "We play they game the same regardless of who is in the game".