PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Thought: Trade Rashard Mendenhall?

hawaiiansteel
01-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Crazy Thought: Trade Rashard Mendenhall?

by Tim Mullhaupt on Jan 14, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/946917/Rashard_Mendenhall_James_Ihedigbo_2011_AFC_Si2xhBx WQUwl_medium.jpg

Picture yourself as Kevin Colbert. Fresh off a painful and shocking loss to Denver, you're now sitting at your office desk preparing to initiate operation "Geezer Dump." Jerseys with numbers 86, 51, and 91 are being put into the "Do Not Use" commemorative closet, while you toss an occasional dart at a poster of Tim Tebow. As your eyes scan the payroll, stopping and double-taking at the names Kemoeatu, Chris, and McFadden, Bryant and their respective salaries, you pause for a moment at the name Mendenhall.

You immediately feel a pang of sympathy for the young man and envision him hobbling around his house as he attempts to recover from the torn ACL. You are about to break for lunch and text Kemoeatu that to make things interesting, the only way he gets his '11 salary is if he can protect it from a blitzing 4 year-old (money well saved), when you are struck with inspiration. Quickly you call up Mike Tannebaum, GM of the hapless New York Jets, and make an offer involving your wounded ball carrier.

The Jets in particular are one of the few teams left in the league that still put great emphasis on the running back position and what they have there in Greene and withering LT is underwhelming to say the least.They are of course welcoming in Tony Sparano in as their new offensive coordinator, but I think the run-first offense will still be very much in effect-Sparano is the father of the wildcat after all-meaning that an upgrade is needed. The Jets pick 15th in each round this year (too late of a pick to get stud RB Trent Richardson IMO), and while it'd be ridiculous to expect a first round pick for Mendenhall, I think it's more than fair to expect a second rounder in exchange for a back that in the last 3 seasons has rushed for over 3,000 yards and amassed exactly 30 touchdowns (29 Rushing, 1 Receiving).

What works against Mendenhall is of course his recent acl tear, an unspectacular 2011 campaign, and a pedestrian 4.1 ypc for his career. Still young however (he'll be just 25 in June), Mendenhall could very well still have some gas left in the tank, well worthy of the attention of teams in need of a good runningback. Outside of the Jets I can ony really characterize the Patriots, Colts, Browns, and perhaps the Giants as teams "in need" of a runningback. The Patriots are a pass-first offense that does not rely heavily on running, but I have to think Mendenhall would provide an upgrade to the likes of Green-Ellis and Woodhead. The Colts are going to draft Andrew Luck, and if Manning leaves than they may want to have a good running option to help ease Luck's transition to the NFL. The Browns look like they're parting ways with Peyton Hillis, but they may be the leading candidates to take the aforementioned Trent Richardson in the draft come April. Then there's the whole "never trade within the division" strategy.

As far as the Steelers are concerned the move makes sense on a couple levels. 1. The offense is clearly pass-oriented now that the receiving corp has blossomed, 2.

Mendenhall will enter his contract year in 2012 (an additional factor that may hinder his value as his new team would have to end up giving him a new deal if they invested considerable draft picks), and the Steelers are going to have a hard enough time trying to keep Brown, Sanders, and Wallace locked down long term within the next two years, likely leaving little money for Mendenhall, 3. The running backs not named Mendenhall are pretty damn good. I like Isaac Redman, Moore, Dwyer, Batch and Clay in some kind of committee. They can all run the ball and can all help supplement what could turn into one of the elite passing attacks in the league, provided the offensive line improves in the near future. Plus there's a kid named Doug Martin (picture right) out of Boise State who reminds me a bit of Jones-Drew/Rice who should be available at the end of the second round/early third, meaning that there are other, affordable options out there.

Even using Mendenhall as a piece to swap first round picks with a team higher up i.e. the Jets would be fine by me. Ultimately, with some of the veteran talent it will lose this offseason, this team could use a great draft in 2012 to help remain a contender next season. Additional/Higher draft picks could give Colbert and Co. the foundation to build the next generation of great Steelers.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... mendenhall (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/14/2700766/pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-offseason-ashard-mendenhall)

SteelCrazy
01-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Gonna be hard to trade a back that has a torn ACL and is coming into his last year of a rookie contract. He already has missed 1 season and probably wont be ready for next season until some time after the start of it. I'd love to do it but its not happening.

steeler_george
01-16-2012, 04:51 AM
As absurd as this article is, what would be the value if we rolled the dice and traded Redman. For one he will be more attractive to teams since he will cheaper in salary this year, has less wear and tear than Mendy, but like Mendy he is next year he will be a FA.

Would you trade him for a mid 2nd rounder or use him as a combo to trade up to get Decastro?

If he is traded, Mendy, Moore(?), Dwyer, Batch, Clay, and maybe a F/A or a Rookie.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
As absurd as this article is, what would be the value if we rolled the dice and traded Redman. For one he will be more attractive to teams since he will cheaper in salary this year, has less wear and tear than Mendy, but like Mendy he is next year he will be a FA.

Would you trade him for a mid 2nd rounder or use him as a combo to trade up to get Decastro?

If he is traded, Mendy, Moore(?), Dwyer, Batch, Clay, and maybe a F/A or a Rookie.

Trade a guy who just had ACL surgery. Is he hoping to get a a team bus or something? I'm sure the offers will be hard to keep up with.

Oviedo
01-16-2012, 10:46 AM
[quote="steeler_george":3xucvofh]As absurd as this article is, what would be the value if we rolled the dice and traded Redman. For one he will be more attractive to teams since he will cheaper in salary this year, has less wear and tear than Mendy, but like Mendy he is next year he will be a FA.

Trade a guy who just had ACL surgery. Is he hoping to get a a team bus or something? I'm sure the offers will be hard to keep up with.[/quote:3xucvofh]

JPN has a great point. What value do you get back in a trade for an injured player? No one gives you anything for him especially given that the RB position is not really hard to replace and has a limited lifespan in the NFL.

Mendy probably won't be anywhere close to ready to play until October and probably won't be close to 100% until the play offs. If anything we need to add RBs not give them up to get through the regular season. If Redman is the lead guy to start the season and with his running style you had better have a string on a number of back ups in case he gets hurt.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Al Davis is dead. There's nobody out there who is going to give up a second-rounder for an injured RB who is entering his contract year.

Slapstick
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I think Mendenhall, as young as he is, will recover nicely...

The Steelers will gain very little by attempting to trade him...what, a 5th round pick? If that?

They would also gain little to no cap room...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Place him on the PUP. The stable of running backs have given you that option. I agree with Slapstick...He is young and will recover. Just give him as much time as possible. If he looks good when his PUP time is up...Bring him on the 53 and work him in the rotation. If he is clearly better than the rest, which I don't think will be the case, he can start when he earns it. Come 2013, you make a decision based upon what he did at the end.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Should have changed the headline to: "Deadline approaching and I have no good ideas for a story"

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Should have changed the headline to: "Deadline approaching and I have no good ideas for a story"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:Clap :Clap :Clap

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Gonna be hard to trade a back that has a torn ACL and is coming into his last year of a rookie contract. He already has missed 1 season and probably wont be ready for next season until some time after the start of it. I'd love to do it but its not happening.

Agreed! He doesnt have much value right now. Had he not gotten hurt sure maybe but a torn ACL is pretty big for a RB.

Now...I do think there is some trade value in another position of surplus for the Steelers. I think a team like Arizona who is desperately looking for a complement to Larry Fitzgerald could be interested in Emmanuel Sanders. And beside, they love Steeler players. :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Agreed! He doesnt have much value right now. Had he not gotten hurt sure maybe but a torn ACL is pretty big for a RB.

Now...I do think there is some trade value in another position of surplus for the Steelers. I think a team like Arizona who is desperately looking for a complement to Larry Fitzgerald could be interested in Emmanuel Sanders. And beside, they love Steeler players. :lol:

What about trading Wallace? Might get a pretty high pick for him...although he's entering his contract year, he's not injured...

Or, rather than trading Wallace, maybe tag him and make him an offer that someone else is almost certain to beat--and get the high draft pick that way?

flippy
01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I'd shop Wallace if I was looking to trade someone.

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM

What about trading Wallace? Might get a pretty high pick for him...although he's entering his contract year, he's not injured...

I'm not interested in trading the most productive receiver the Steelers have. Look at what Wallace has done in just three years. Some Steeler fans think all he does is run fly patterns but you dont do that on 132 receptions over the past 2 years. Mike Wallace finds the end zone. That I dont want to trade away. He has a unique skill set that not many in the NFL has.

Add a Alshon Jeffrey (big physical receiver who can beat a press), to Wallace and Brown and you have three different types of receiver who all compliment each other and give Ben the most versatile set of receivers he has ever had.

Two players who are in the excess at this point to me are Emmanuel Sanders and Jason Worilds. I think they could bring back something in return.

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 01:00 PM

No way! You are not guaranteed that what you get in return is going to be at least equal to that of what Wallace does. Mike Wallace has gotten better each of his three years. And he scores more TD's than anyone on the team. And because defenses now have to try and take away the deep ball because of him, Wallace has opened up the underneath for everyone else. Why would you want to get rid of that?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Trade Harrison to Arizona. Defense doesn't matter anymore so trade him for whatever you can get offensive line wise or pick wise.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Trade Harrison to Arizona. Defense doesn't matter anymore so trade him for whatever you can get offensive line wise or pick wise.

If you're trading with Arizona, you could probably also unload Potsie, Foote, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, and Hines...in return, get a couple decent OL players, and half their draft picks! :lol:

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 01:20 PM
........Defense doesn't matter anymore so trade him for whatever you can get offensive line wise or pick wise.

Are you kidding me? You've bought into what the media wants you to believe?

Come back and tell me how you feel after the Giants win this years Super Bowl with defense.

flippy
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM

No way! You are not guaranteed that what you get in return is going to be at least equal to that of what Wallace does. Mike Wallace has gotten better each of his three years. And he scores more TD's than anyone on the team. And because defenses now have to try and take away the deep ball because of him, Wallace has opened up the underneath for everyone else. Why would you want to get rid of that?

I'd like to keep Wallace. Just throwing out there in the context of if we're gonna trade someone...

If just figured Wallace has about the highest worth of just about anyone on the roster given his youth and upswing in his game.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":13zfzs2y]........Defense doesn't matter anymore so trade him for whatever you can get offensive line wise or pick wise.

Come back and tell me how you feel after the Giants win this years Super Bowl with defense.[/quote:13zfzs2y]

Joke dude. Defense is obviously still important.

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 01:55 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":27lh1xw0][quote="Mister Pittsburgh":27lh1xw0]........Defense doesn't matter anymore so trade him for whatever you can get offensive line wise or pick wise.

Come back and tell me how you feel after the Giants win this years Super Bowl with defense.[/quote:27lh1xw0]

Joke dude. Defense is obviously still important.[/quote:27lh1xw0]

Ok sorry. My bad. I knew you were much smarter than that. :D

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Won't work, Arizona already has Greg Lloyd and Alonzo Jackson at OLB, they aren't looking. :lol:

Oviedo
01-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Plus he is probably one hit away from a 4 game suspension. I would consider trading Harrison. That type of move is what the Patriots do to stock up on picks, e.g. Richard Seymour. The reality is now would be the time to trade Harrison before injuries start to have a greater effect on his game and Arizona would be perfect in the draft pick we would get back. Pretty high so we could fix the OL.

Shawn
01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Now this is an interesting thought. There is no way a team will offer a second rounder for a RB with a torn ACL. The healing is much too unpredictable. But, I think he has a good shot at being ready by early to mid season...if it goes well sooner. And now Mendenhall just became signable...at a reasonable salary.

So, why not trade Redman? I believe we could get a second for Redman.

RuthlessBurgher
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Or, rather than trading Wallace, maybe tag him and make him an offer that someone else is almost certain to beat--and get the high draft pick that way?

That's not how restricted free agency works (we don't make him an offer that someone else is almost certain to beat). We give him a restricted free agent tender (last year's numbers were around $3.5M for 1st and 3rd compensation, $2.7M for 1st round compensation, $1.9M for 2nd round compensation, and $1.2M for compensation being in the round the player was originally drafted, which in Wallace's case would be round 3). Then other teams can make him offers. If he signs one of these offer sheets, we have a week to match it and keep him at those terms, or decline to match it, then we get that team draft pick(s) depending on the level of our initial RFA tender. I believe the period for signing RFA's to offer sheets begins in March and ends a week before the draft in April.