PDA

View Full Version : Are You Watching, LeBeau?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-14-2012, 11:25 PM
If the *'s, with their bottom-ranked D, can do this to the Donks, why couldn't you have done it with your "#1 ranked" defense?

grotonsteel
01-14-2012, 11:33 PM
I still can't believe Steelers Defense got torched for 300 yards by Tebow.

feltdizz
01-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Announcer just said: "If you just play him straight up" implying that we tried to get fancy in defending Tebow.

The Pats are able to get pressure with their front 3 or 4... something we couldn't do.

I still don't understand how the Pats, NO and GB pass defenses are so bad. The stats have to be skewed or maybe we are missing something. Does the quick scoring by the offense force opponents to pass more often have something to do with it? In 2009 the offense was getting blamed for scoring too fast...

birtikidis
01-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Announcer just said: "If you just play him straight up" implying that we tried to get fancy in defending Tebow.

The Pats are able to get pressure with their front 3 or 4... something we couldn't do.

I still don't understand how the Pats, NO and GB pass defenses are so bad. The stats have to be skewed or maybe we are missing something. Does the quick scoring by the offense force opponents to pass more often have something to do with it? In 2009 the offense was getting blamed for scoring too fast...
they score a ****ton of points forcing teams to abandon the run and just throwing the ball.

Oviedo
01-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Why would it matter if LeBeau was watching? He is too stubborn and arrogant to change anything. When was the last real innovation or changes we saw on our defense.

RuthlessBurgher
01-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Why would it matter if LeBeau was watching? He is too stubborn and arrogant to change anything. When was the last real innovation or changes we saw on our defense.

Ummm...I dunno...he's called zone coverages with large cushions for years and years, and this season, we saw a bunch of press man coverage instead??? Does that count as a change??? :?

Shoe
01-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Ummm...I dunno...he's called zone coverages with large cushions for years and years, and this season, we saw a bunch of press man coverage instead??? Does that count as a change??? :?

Exactly...

Our traditional defensive scheme, the scheme that we've played for 15-20 years now, is the basic blueprint to beating that team. Allow nothing deep, and look to confuse young and untalented (throwing-wise) QBs. It's why LeBeau is undefeated vs. rookie QBs, etc. So it is absolutely dumbfounding that we went to the scheme we went to. At worst, all we had to do is let them run on us between the 20's, and stop their drive inside the 20s where everything is compacted.

Captain Lemming
01-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Dude, we don't need knowledgeable commentary like this. Just spew out generalities.

Truth is that DLs biggest mistake was that he overcompensated for Tebows running and our D looked like something entirely different.

Dresden
01-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Dude,...are failing against Denver defensively was a product of not having Hampton, Keisel, Aaron, Woodley on the field with Potsie playing lights out as if he were still in his twenties.

And when you add the same old B.S cornerback play along with a guy like Mundy playing F/S to that equation,....we were finished before the Game even began.

Many try to bash Coach Lebeau,....but from where i stand our problems defensively are a matter of personnel, personnel, personnel,....the lack thereof.

Shoe
01-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Dude,...are failing against Denver defensively was a product of not having Hampton, Keisel, Aaron, Woodley on the field with Potsie playing lights out as if he were still in his twenties.

And when you add the same old B.S cornerback play along with a guy like Mundy playing F/S to that equation,....we were finished before the Game even began.

Many try to bash Coach Lebeau,....but from where i stand our problems defensively are a matter of personnel, personnel, personnel,....the lack thereof.

So Dresden,
What would have been the more optimal gameplan/adjustment, given the circumstance as you correctly outline? (I'm not trying to be leading here, I'm just asking the question.)

Would it be to put eight in the box, and lock up your "shutdown corner" onto a talented yet unproven WR, and hope he shuts him down? Or was the better gameplan, to accept that the Broncos would be able to move the ball running on you (with all the injuries), and trust that your defense would stiffen up &/or sufficiently confuse the inexperienced Tebow, where the room to operate shrinks (in the redzone).

In hindsight, it was a legitimate gamplan to do the former, trusting that Ike could handle that kid. But when it became apparent that he couldn't... shouldn't the plan have been adjusted? Because despite all the talk, all the blame, etc... If Ike Taylor does his job, Steelers win.

feltdizz
01-15-2012, 05:09 PM

So Dresden,
What would have been the more optimal gameplan/adjustment, given the circumstance as you correctly outline? (I'm not trying to be leading here, I'm just asking the question.)

Would it be to put eight in the box, and lock up your "shutdown corner" onto a talented yet unproven WR, and hope he shuts him down? Or was the better gameplan, to accept that the Broncos would be able to move the ball running on you (with all the injuries), and trust that your defense would stiffen up &/or sufficiently confuse the inexperienced Tebow, where the room to operate shrinks (in the redzone).

In hindsight, it was a legitimate gamplan to do the former, trusting that Ike could handle that kid. But when it became apparent that he couldn't... shouldn't the plan have been adjusted? Because despite all the talk, all the blame, etc... If Ike Taylor does his job, Steelers win.

I don't think it made any sense to sell out on the run on the first play of OT.

phillyesq
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Shame on you, Ruthless, letting facts get in the way of a good argument. :lol: :lol:

Dresden
01-15-2012, 05:28 PM

So Dresden,

You are in fact correct sir,..and i most certainly agree that it was indeed a legitimate gameplan given the circumstances.

Again, for me though it comes down us wanting Coach Lebeau to prepare a five star gourmet meal with nothing but Spam and canned goods in a galley sized kitchen.

With Coach Cowher's players getting old and falling apart,...we just no longer have the same capability to dominate teams with our front seven.

And our system is so designed for the front seven to protect bum Corners like Chard Scott, De lame washington, William Gay, Mcfadden,....and even Ike. (whom to me has never been elite,...just the best of the inferior corners we seem to be absolutely comfortable with putting on the field year in and year out)

Bottom line,... if anyone were to attempt to run a 3-4 defense without a stud NT, with an end with an average 4-3 DT skill set whom gets pushed around by single blockers, (Hood) no pass rush whatsoever from stud bookend olb's, no stud ILB and 4-3 pursuit linebacker whom is rendered useless if anyone puts their hands on him, (Timmons) along with average to below average corners,......you are in considerable trouble sir.

Dee Dub
01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Exactly...

Our traditional defensive scheme, the scheme that we've played for 15-20 years now, is the basic blueprint to beating that team. Allow nothing deep, and look to confuse young and untalented (throwing-wise) QBs. It's why LeBeau is undefeated vs. rookie QBs, etc. So it is absolutely dumbfounding that we went to the scheme we went to. At worst, all we had to do is let them run on us between the 20's, and stop their drive inside the 20s where everything is compacted.

Yep!! Agreed. LeBeau chose to do the exact opposite versus the Broncos. He actually was conceding the deep pass pretty much the whole game. And at the most critical time (OT), he chose to go cover 0 and had no one deep. And he got burned and put an end to the Steelers season.

One can defend LeBeau all they want. Pull out his legend card all they want. Bask in his past greatest all they want. But this has to go down as one of the worst defensive game plans ever.

Steelers>NFL
01-15-2012, 09:02 PM
ah, get over it people. Even if the Steelers had beaten the Donkeys, they were not going very far. They were definately were not going to the SB.

Dresden
01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Exactly...

Yep!! Agreed. LeBeau chose to do the exact opposite versus the Broncos. He actually was conceding the deep pass pretty much the whole game. And at the most critical time (OT), he chose to go cover 0 and had no one deep. And he got burned and put an end to the Steelers season.

One can defend LeBeau all they want. Pull out his legend card all they want. Bask in his past greatest all they want. But this has to go down as one of the worst defensive game plans ever.

Dub,...did you not see (along with millions of others) Mundy blow his assignment due to poor technique and lack of skill/discipline ?

AngryAsian
01-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Dynamic 4-3 schemes (SF and NYG) have greater efficacy against high powered offenses aided by newly formatted NFL pass happy rule changes. Simple math really, the above noted D's get pressure on opposing QBs, with only 4 rushers while our 3-4 scheme requires 7 stacked in the box to help get pressure. That's why spread offenses like the *'s have had great success finding the soft spots in our zone coverages. I think with however many more 3-4 defensive schemes that are now being used, we've had our talent depth thinned a bit, thus relying on keeping vets longer. Wish we would go to a 4-3, but just like the racial thing... I'm in the minority. I wish LeBeau would retire.... and take Arianus with him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-16-2012, 12:01 AM
D front - Hood, McClendon, Heyward play almost the entire game, no subs

LBs - Woodley playing injured, Farrior aging

DBs - Clark out

This was a D that was broken down. While the "next man up" philosophy might be well and good when you have one or two - or even more - key players go down, but not when it keeps 3 fat guys on the field all game, two of them rooks.

This was just not going to be our year:

Ben playing with bum ankle and thumb
Mendenhall
Moore
Sanders in and out
Starks
Pouncey
Colon
Lefty
Smitty
Hampton
Keisel
Hoke
Harrison
Woodley
Timmons bouncing around from position to position
Clark for the Denver game

These are all key contributors for our team - I stayed away from bringing up guys like Dwyer, BMac etc.

No team goes anywhere in this league with this kind of laundry list of injuries. We kept hearing last season about how GB had 18 guys on IR but most of them you had never heard of and were not contributors. I'd even say that last year our injuries were still worse than theirs because we had key players missing and others playing beyond a reasonable level of fuunction.

We lost. We lost and congratulated the victors, we regroup, and we move forward next year. If we can have a reasonably healthy season next year then we are once again SB contenders.

Dresden
01-16-2012, 12:28 AM
ah, get over it people. Even if the Steelers had beaten the Donkeys, they were not going very far. They were definately were not going to the SB.

Being the best is always the goal. But i do not believe that any here truly believed that this current unit would do so,..and as such our respective "griping" is simply a matter of saying publicly,......"tighten up".

It's necessary homie.

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Exactly...

Dub,...did you not see (along with millions of others) Mundy blow his assignment due to poor technique and lack of skill/discipline ?

Wrong! Look at the tape. Pre-snap Mundy is racing forward. He ends up inside the box 5 yards off the LOS. This has nothing to do with technique. This is a cover 0 formation. Both Troy and Mundy are inside the box. This is an all out run blitz. This was a horrible call. Only one man makes defensive calls for the Steelers and he blew it on this one.

Look for yourself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUQkE9S0gU

Chadman
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Dynamic 4-3 schemes (SF and NYG) have greater efficacy against high powered offenses aided by newly formatted NFL pass happy rule changes

Psst!

The 49ers play a 3-4!!

:tt2

Chadman
01-16-2012, 12:58 AM
No offense guys, but for such a respected DC like LeBeau, you don't think he ever blows calls?

ever calls a sub-par game?

He blew the last call by playing Cover-0. Ok, agreed. Maybe it's more that he had faith that his best CB would not get beaten again? Maybe he looked Ike in the eye & believed Ike was up to man cover?

Maybe he just messed it up?

He wouldn't be the lone ranger if he had.

As has been pointed out, the whole squad for Pittsburgh was carrying injuries- an abnormal amount this season. eventually, no matter how well prepared you are, you can't expect your 3rd stringers to outplay other teams first stringers.

And lastly, the Steelers played with just 3 DL for a large chunk of the game. With no rotation, fatigue will set in. Performance will slip. The 3 young guys that filled their roles- Heyward, McLendon & Hood are to be commended for playing 'above the line'.

Dresden
01-16-2012, 12:59 AM
[quote=Shoe]Exactly...

Wrong! Look at the tape. Pre-snap Mundy is racing forward. He ends up inside the box 5 yards off the LOS. This has nothing to do with technique. This is a cover 0 formation. Both Troy and Mundy are inside the box. This is an all out run blitz. This was a horrible call. Only one man makes defensive calls for the Steelers and he blew it on this one.

Look for yourself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUQkE9S0gU[/quote:375qw3s4]

Dub,..i do not know you Sir/Ma'am,...but i have played football.(as i am sure many others here have)

Mundy was not supposed to "bite" the way that he did on that play. It's very difficult to recover if you do so,...that's why technique and or discipline is so stressed by the flabby yet passionate guys wearing windbreakers and sweats whom yell, spit and play mind games with you,.. yet they do not suit up on Friday's, Saturdays and Sundays.

feltdizz
01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Mundy was caught coming forward at the snap and never recovered. Even if Tebow missed on the throw it was a bad call by LeBeau.

We sold out on the run and it was a pass... bad call by Lebeau.

Oviedo
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Mundy was caught coming forward at the snap and never recovered. Even if Tebow missed on the throw it was a bad call by LeBeau.

We sold out on the run and it was a pass... bad call by Lebeau.

Careful Felt. You'll be accused of drinking my bitter brew of koolaid for seeing what really happened and daring to place blame or at the very least get a "legend" card thrown in your face.

fezziwig
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I said it before and I'm saying it again, " Lebeau put a game plan in as if he was going up against Walter Peyton and or if Tebow had no arms. " The proof was there that the pass needed defended with the success the Broncos had against the Steelers but no, Lebeau gave no respect to the pass, what so ever. "

Had Lebeau played our week to week defense we would have won that game. The cheats proved just how horrible the Broncos really are but no, our Steelers need to out think and play down to every opponent.

Lebeau out smarted himself this time while, Tomlin and Arians have no smarts to start with.

Oviedo
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I said it before and I'm saying it again, " Lebeau put a game plan in as if he was going up against Walter Peyton and or if Tebow had no arms. " The proof was there that the pass needed defended with the success the Broncos had against the Steelers but no, Lebeau gave no respect to the pass, what so ever. "

Had Lebeau played our week to week defense we would have won that game. The cheats proved just how horrible the Broncos really are but no, our Steelers need to out think and play down to every opponent.

Lebeau out smarted himself this time while, Tomlin and Arians have no smarts to start with.

The issue is not the gameplan, the issue is stubbornly refusing to adjust the plan after the second or third long pass completion. The apparent inability, or unwillingness, to make in game adjustments is a problem both our coordinators have which is why we need new ones.

Slapstick
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Please...

Tebow and his WRs (specifically Thomas) played the game of their lives against the Steelers...

Then, they had a letdown the following week against the Patriots...

Did LeBeau call a good game? In hindsight, no...

Did Tim Tebow play a typical game by his standards again the Steelers? No.

Did he play his typical game against the Patriots?

Yes....

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Please...

Tebow and his WRs (specifically Thomas) played the game of their lives against the Steelers...

Yes....

You can't pin this loss all on "execution." Did Ike have a putrid game? Yes. But had LeBeau made the in-game adjustments that almost any other DC in the league would have made, we would have won that game (IMO)...even if Tebow and his WRs "played the game of their lives."

fezziwig
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Please...

Yes....

You can't pin this loss all on "execution." Did Ike have a putrid game? Yes. But had LeBeau made the in-game adjustments that almost any other DC in the league would have made, we would have won that game (IMO)...even if Tebow and his WRs "played the game of their lives."

:Agree

feltdizz
01-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Please...

Yes....

Tebow played the typical game vs the Steelers...

It's not like Tebow went 21 for 25 vs us... he completed 10 pases but they were all huge gains because we bought into the media hype.

fezziwig
01-16-2012, 12:11 PM
If the defense was so worried about Tebow then, Arians and Tomlin should have kept the ball out of his hands with our run game. Redman was tearing it up but no, Tomlin is too stupid to call a correct game.

feltdizz
01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
If the defense was so worried about Tebow then, Arians and Tomlin should have kept the ball out of his hands with our run game. Redman was tearing it up but no, Tomlin is too stupid to call a correct game.

I agree and I think if we had Moore or Dwyer we would've done that... it's hard to blame Tomlin when you have Redman and a rookie who has limited knowledge of the offense.

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
[quote=Shoe]Exactly...

Look for yourself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUQkE9S0gU

Dub,..i do not know you Sir/Ma'am,...but i have played football.(as i am sure many others here have)

Mundy was not supposed to "bite" the way that he did on that play. It's very difficult to recover if you do so,...that's why technique and or discipline is so stressed by the flabby yet passionate guys wearing windbreakers and sweats whom yell, spit and play mind games with you,.. yet they do not suit up on Friday's, Saturdays and Sundays.[/quote:xobc7707]

When you are in position pre-snap that is not called biting. What it is is that they were disguising a cover 1 deep man shell with Troy already in the box. This is a formation that shows the QB that there is man coverage on the outside and it challenges him to throw the ball. Then the Steelers change it prior to snap and have Mundy race inside of the box. That makes no sense. You are already challenging the QB to throw it and then you make it easy on him by giving him the entire middle of the field?

If you want to blame someone for poor technique blame Ike. There is no way Ike should have had outside shoulder shade when the middle of the field has no help. He has to play inside and force the receiver to the sideline. That is the CB's only help.

You can say what ever you want but this clip I provided shows what happened pre-snap.

fezziwig
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I'd rather blame Arians but ultimately, Tomlin is responsible for this team. Right now I'm ticked at Tomlin for keeping Arians so..........that's were that has landed.

Oviedo
01-16-2012, 01:36 PM

Everyone is at fault...except for LeBeau. Why even consider the huge failure on the part of the one person in charge of the defnse.

It is Tomlin's fault!

It is Arians' fault!

It is the offense's fault!

It is the altitude's fault!

It is the injuries' fault!

It is just never LeBeau's fault!!!!

NorthCoast
01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
It was a coaching fail all around. The sad thing is, the blueprint for the defense was already out there. Buffalo showed it. NE showed it. We just didn't follow it because, "we play what we play". Very arrogant....

chiken
01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Our Offense also helps or hurts our Defense. 6 points in the first half by our offense doesn't bode well for our Defense..

The pats Defense sucks but playing with a 14 point cushion in the first qtr and then getting 21 more points in the Second qtr Really helps.

just another way of looking at it.

Lebeau did call a bad game but this was a game that we really should have not had to Rely on the Defense to Win.. How many play off games have we won Relying on the Defense?

Oviedo
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Our Offense also helps or hurts our Defense. 6 points in the first half by our offense doesn't bode well for our Defense..

The pats Defense sucks but playing with a 14 point cushion in the first qtr and then getting 21 more points in the Second qtr Really helps.

Lebeau did call a bad game but this was a game that we really should have not had to Rely on the Defense to Win.. How many play off games have we won Relying on the Defense?

I beg to differ, this is exactly the game our defense needed to win for us. Reasons:

1. Starting QB playing hurt
2. Lost our starting RB to season ending injury
3. Pro Bowl Center out with injury
4. Lose starting LT early in game
5. Playing against the worst starting QB in the league who had just lost 3 straight games

Dee Dub
01-16-2012, 01:59 PM

I dont know...the Broncos have a pretty solid defense. If you match up the Steelers offense versus the Broncos defense and then the Steelers defense versus the Broncos offense, I think the decisive edge for the Steelers should have been the later of the two. But as we saw, the weak offense of the Broncos were able to shred the Steelers defense. Not good.

And LeBeau didnt call a bad game...in my opinion...it was one of the biggest fails in the history of the NFL.

fezziwig
01-16-2012, 02:31 PM
i don't care what injuries were among any of the players, the offense stinks and the outcome would have been the same.

Tomlin and Arians have to go. Lebeau blew it in a big way but, at least he has done well enough in the past to overlook it for me. Lebeau has screwed up efore in my opinion but at least he has done more good than bad. A lot more good.

feltdizz
01-16-2012, 06:49 PM
You can't blame the offense for this loss. This wasn't a game where we needed 40 points. Brady said it best... "we didn't prepare for one guy we prepared for the whole team"

It's no different then 2009. Fans can't bring themselves to blame Lebeau so they blame Arians.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-16-2012, 08:07 PM
You can't blame the offense for this loss. This wasn't a game where we needed 40 points. Brady said it best... "we didn't prepare for one guy we prepared for the whole team"

It's no different then 2009. Fans can't bring themselves to blame Lebeau so they blame Arians.

Although I wasn't happy with much of what BA did in this game, I have to agree that it was more on LeBeau. 23 points should have been plenty enough to beat Denver.
Honestly, before this game, did anyone think Denver would top 20 points?

Oviedo
01-17-2012, 09:23 AM

That is standard operating procedure. Whenever the defense screws up just pull out the "legend card" and blame the offense that scored 23 points.

Like I keep saying, both our coordinators are terrible at in game adjustments and both need to go.

feltdizz
01-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't think either need to go.. but those who constantly blame for the O when the D gets torched need to go. :lol:

Slapstick
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM

I didn't know that Tebow had a long list of 300+ yard, multi-TD games...

My bad...

feltdizz
01-17-2012, 09:34 AM

My bad...

I'm talking about the passing percentage and number of completions...

He killed us with those 9 throws but it was because we played him like he was Barry Sanders in the Wildcat.

Play him straight up and I think we beat them by 20.

fezziwig
01-17-2012, 09:41 AM

My bad...

I'm talking about the passing percentage and number of completions...

He killed us with those 9 throws but it was because we played him like he was Barry Sanders in the Wildcat.

:Clap

Slapstick
01-17-2012, 10:14 AM

He killed the Steelers with those 9 throws because he was actually accurate on those 9 throws that decided the game...

And, in several cases, the WRs made great individual efforts on those catches...

Eich
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

He killed the Steelers with those 9 throws because he was actually accurate on those 9 throws that decided the game...

And, in several cases, the WRs made great individual efforts on those catches...

Yes, he was DEAD ON accurate with those throws. Kudos to Tebow.

But WHY was he accurate on those throws? Was it because he wasn't under much pressure?....

Slapstick
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM

But WHY was he accurate on those throws? Was it because he wasn't under much pressure?....

Some of it was luck, some of it was playing over his head...

He came down to earth and ran out of luck the following week...

feltdizz
01-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Some of it was luck, some of it was playing over his head...

He came down to earth and ran out of luck the following week...

I won't say it's luck but I bet he doesn't complete that pass to the endzone on Gay 8 out of 10 times.

Slapstick
01-17-2012, 04:23 PM

I won't say it's luck but I bet he doesn't complete that pass to the endzone on Gay 8 out of 10 times.

Eddie Royal made a great catch on that play...

phillyesq
01-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Eddie Royal made a great catch on that play...

And Gay actually had pretty decent coverage.