PDA

View Full Version : We Need a Dynamic TE

flippy
01-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Vernon Davis is a beast. Jimmy Graham is a beast. Rob Gronkowski is a beast.

Where's Ben's beast in the receiving game?

Steelgal
01-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Wouldn't matter. The TE is our offense is used more for blocking than catching. Heath, if in another system, could be much better than he is. Add to that, that Ben would rather go for the long ball, than dump it to his checkdowns. Our current system under Arians/Ben isn't condusive to a great TE.

feltdizz
01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
If Heath could get up field like these other TE's Ben would target him more often. Heath is pretty slow.

Pats* just lined up a TE at RB. :wft

pfelix73
01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Oh, I totally disagree with that. BA's offense is based off of the 2 TE set. He likes those hybrid TE's as he puts them in the backfield as a blocking FB, etc. I've been saying for years that since this is the case, we need to draft another top tiered TE to compliment Miller. Miller is actually a better pass catcher than a blocker- IMO. But yea, he isn't the fastest TE.

In some really early mocl draft in 2011, I actually picked a TE in the 1st round for us- considering we lost Spaeth- who actually was just mediocre anyway. With BA as the OC, on draft day you can be sure that he is lobbying for TE's...It really would be another weapon for Ben....

:tt1

focosteeler
01-14-2012, 10:08 PM
i want to see wes saunders more. wasnt he supposed to be a fairly high draft pick before his issues?

tiproast
01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I will be interesting to see how many teams draft TEs early this year.

tiproast
01-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Hernandez is kind of a freak - Pats line him up in lots of different positions.

NJ-STEELER
01-14-2012, 11:30 PM
for all those that loved giving holmes away

manny (cant stay on the field) sanders was drafted a few picks before him.
if we keep holmes, do we really need to take a WR there or could we have looked at graham.

of course, thats assuming we would even look at him because he wasnt really a good blcoker in college. something every position on the offense must know how to do (except for the OL, I guess)

grotonsteel
01-14-2012, 11:56 PM
of course, thats assuming we would even look at him because he wasnt really a good blcoker in college. something every position on the offense must know how to do (except for the OL, I guess)

:lol:

So true.

Dynamic TE to look for is Dwayne Allen from Clemson in Rd 1. But even if Steelers draft him Allen will be on LoS blocking on pass plays.

When your O-line can't block 3 man rush you know where the problem is.

7 UP
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Our offense revolves around the original play breaking down, and Ben making a play. When you have an offense that revolves around broken plays, its going to be hard to get the ball consistently to your playmakers. Miller is fine, what we need is a new offense.

Oviedo
01-15-2012, 11:14 AM
My biggest disappointment with Arians has always been we underutilize the TE and never used thenm more like he promised going in. TEs are great weapons because they create mismatches on LB and Safeties.

I agree we need a stretch the field type TE. While not a TE, Ashlon Jeffrey could do that.

RuthlessBurgher
01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
If used correctly, Heath Miller and Wesyle Saunders could be weapons. David Johnson...not so much.

focosteeler
01-15-2012, 11:33 AM
if you wanted to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder there is Orson Charles out of Georgia.

Shoe
01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
We need a dynamic TE? Heath is a legitimate weapon. Obviously, he isn't the athlete those others are, but we don't "need" a TE... we have one. A good one. And we have all the weapons anyone could ever ask for.

We don't "need" skill positions. We're set as much as anyone else in the league could be. We "need" O-line. We "need" defensive playmakers. We don't "need" another receiver.

feltdizz
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Heath is getting old guys... Fans always complain about getting younger but as soon as we bring up a position with a fan favorite everyone lies to themselves about how great the guy is....

Heath isn't getting any younger, faster or jumping any higher... it's time to get another dynamic TE who can get up field where Ben likes to throw the ball.

It's not up to BA to create plays for Miller either... all Ben has to do is target him more often instead of throwing into double and triple coverage to Wallace.

Shoe
01-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Heath is getting old guys... Fans always complain about getting younger but as soon as we bring up a position with a fan favorite everyone lies to themselves about how great the guy is....

Heath isn't getting any younger, faster or jumping any higher... it's time to get another dynamic TE who can get up field where Ben likes to throw the ball.

It's not up to BA to create plays for Miller either... all Ben has to do is target him more often instead of throwing into double and triple coverage to Wallace.

He's not my favorite felt. I definitely like him, but I'm not a blind nuthugger on him like others you are talking about. But to say that we "need" a better TE option than Heath Miller is silly. Heath, despite "getting up there" as you say, is still one of the better TEs in football. We definitely have pressing needs, but TE isn't one of them.

7 UP
01-15-2012, 05:17 PM
We can not afford to waste an early pick on a TE in this draft guys Are you kidding me?? We need to get young everywhere. We have plenty of weapons. You can have all 3 Gronkowskis and if Bens on the ground he cant throw it to them. Upgrade our O line through FA and the draft and the offense will start to click.

focosteeler
01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
We can not afford to waste an early pick on a TE in this draft guys Are you kidding me?? We need to get young everywhere. We have plenty of weapons. You can have all 3 Gronkowskis and if Bens on the ground he cant throw it to them. Upgrade our O line through FA and the draft and the offense will start to click.

:Agree

feltdizz
01-15-2012, 05:25 PM

He's not my favorite felt. I definitely like him, but I'm not a blind nuthugger on him like others you are talking about. But to say that we "need" a better TE option than Heath Miller is silly. Heath, despite "getting up there" as you say, is still one of the better TEs in football. We definitely have pressing needs, but TE isn't one of them.

Heath is am elite old school TE... these new guys are big WR's who aren't asked to block.

I hope we get rid of the TE/FB experiment because it's not working.

Dresden
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Wouldn't matter. The TE is our offense is used more for blocking than catching. Heath, if in another system, could be much better than he is. Add to that, that Ben would rather go for the long ball, than dump it to his checkdowns. Our current system under Arians/Ben isn't condusive to a great TE.

Exactly.

Dee Dub
01-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I do nont think the Steelers "need" a dynamic TE. It would be a luxury to have one, however, I hardly think they "need" one. There are other things on this team that they "need" more than a dynamic TE. And behinds I think the one they have is pretty solid.

Add a physical big wide receiver who can beat a press and add a corner fade in the red zone and you will see a much more productive offense for the Steelers.

Chadman
01-15-2012, 06:14 PM
The Steelers got their dynamic TE last season- Wes Saunders!

NJ-STEELER
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
with one, the running game will open nup as well with the threat of using heath and wes/draft pick in the passing game.

the defenses dont even cover johnson. i wouldnt either. where's he gonna go after the catch. 10 YAC at most. thats if he doesnt drop the pass in the first place

Shawn
01-15-2012, 08:48 PM
If Heath could get up field like these other TE's Ben would target him more often. Heath is pretty slow.

Agreed Heath is a bit overrated by Steeler fans. Yes, he is a solid all around TE. But, if we are talking about just being used as an offensive weapon...he doesn't create match up problems for a D. I would imagine he runs a 4.8 40 on a good day...a really good day. He doesn't break many tackles after the catch.

eniparadoxgma
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Agreed Heath is a bit overrated by Steeler fans. Yes, he is a solid all around TE. But, if we are talking about just being used as an offensive weapon...he doesn't create match up problems for a D. I would imagine he runs a 4.8 40 on a good day...a really good day. He doesn't break many tackles after the catch.

He's not nimble and I don't think he tries to juke anyone, but Heath is pretty consistent in regards to running defenders over and/or getting YAC with some of them draped all over him when he's got a head of steam.