PDA

View Full Version : Ward Willing to Take Pay Cut

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
From PFT:

Hines Ward says he would take a pay cut to stay in Pittsburgh
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 11, 2012, 12:56 PM EST

APHines Ward doesn’t want to retire. And if the Steelers don’t want him next year, he’ll try to find a job elsewhere.

“It would be weird, not how I want it to happen,” Ward told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “But I do want to play. I still think I can play. I’m not even thinking like that — what if. If that scenario happens, I’ll be devastated, but I do want to play football.”

Ward is due $4 million next season. He knows he’ll have to take a pay cut and is willing to do so.

“I want to be here, I’m telling you I’m willing to do that,” Ward said. “And I understand the ramifications — we have the cap number and stuff, but I want to be here.”

The Steelers may be ready to move on. They have their top three out wide: Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanuel Sanders.

Ward’s production fell dramatically this year. He averaged only 8.6 yards-per-catch and didn’t top 400 yards receiving. It was his worst yardage total since he was a rookie in 1998.

flippy
01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
The Pay Cut sounds very un Ward like.

But he probably realizes he'll maximize his lifetime income by remaining a Steeler and potentially winning another championship.

SteelBucks
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I read somewhere that the coaches would prefer to keep Cotchery and add a red zone WR to the roster. This would leave Ward as the odd man out. It's going to be difficult to keep Hines....the team already has to cut around $23 million off the roster just to meet next years cap. It's great that Hines will take a pay cut but it feels like the team is ready to move on without him.

Guess we'll find out in March when his roster bonus is due.

Slapstick
01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
The Steelers have parted ways with star players before...the fact that Hines is making how badly he wants to stay public could bode well for him.

I wouldn't count on Cotchery staying...he probably could get a job with just about any other team and have better pay and playing time...

But, maybe he's all about a Super Bowl...we'll find out, eh?

ikestops85
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
The Steelers have parted ways with star players before...the fact that Hines is making how badly he wants to stay public could bode well for him.

I wouldn't count on Cotchery staying...he probably could get a job with just about any other team and have better pay and playing time...

While Cotchery might be able to get a job with other teams he seemed to be very impressed with the Steelers organization and culture. I think if the Steelers made him a reasonable offer he would stay.

Hines has to stay a Steeler ... but only if he takes a pay cut. The long term steelers that the organization lets go are the ones who still want a big payday but are getting long in the tooth. The next one up who fits that category might be Troy. If he's looking to get another huge contract it won't be with the Steelers. He'll have to go elsewhere.

Slapstick
01-11-2012, 03:55 PM
While Cotchery might be able to get a job with other teams he seemed to be very impressed with the Steelers organization and culture. I think if the Steelers made him a reasonable offer he would stay.

Hines has to stay a Steeler ... but only if he takes a pay cut. The long term steelers that the organization lets go are the ones who still want a big payday but are getting long in the tooth. The next one up who fits that category might be Troy. If he's looking to get another huge contract it won't be with the Steelers. He'll have to go elsewhere.

But, is he a priority enough for the Steelers to afford making him a reasonable offer?

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Around the time of the comments about Holmes, I remember reading or hearing that Cotchery essentially begged out of NY because he couldn't stand being in a meeting room with the WRs the Jets had. Having seen life on the other side, could be that he decides to stay with the Steelers.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-11-2012, 04:14 PM
This could be an interesting situation. First of all, would any other team sign Ward to a significant contract? Would anyone be willing to hand him a starting spot heading into camp or would he have to compete? Does he want to go somewhere else to sit on the bench if he doesn't win a starting spot?

He is due $4M + $610K in pro rated SB which counts against the cap whether we have him or not. If he comes back he knows he is not a starter here. Would you be willing to keep him at $1M + the $610K? That's the question.

I would try to keep Cotchery first, but if he moves on then I would bring Ward back at this number.

feltdizz
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I would bring Ward back for a mill. He may not have the speed but it's not like Sanders stays healthy and Crotchery missed a few games as well.

Shawn
01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
If given the choice I would rather have Brown and Cotchery over just having Wallace. That is still a very good WR trio...Brown, Sanders and Cotchery. If Wallace wants top 10 money that is likely what we will see.

Steelerphile
01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
If he's willing to take and pay cut and isn't griping about his role, then why not at least bring him to camp? There is no other team that would want him as a starter now. He's made his share of money, which I hope he hasn't blown, like many athletes do, and now he just wants to play for the love of the game. It's nice.

My advice to him might be, let somebody attach an ACL to your knee. You did 1,000 receptions without one, now if you get one, it might help you hang around a little longer. Also watch the weight. Stay as slim as possible. Hyperbaric chamber round the clock.

I think they can afford to keep a Hines Ward but I hope they do try to get younger next year. So some of the other vets have got to go.

brothervad
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
I love Hines Ward. I believe he is what is good with the game of football. I have long been a fan of him retiring a Steeler.

That being said, I think it's time for us to part ways with him. Not because of anything he said or did...I think this team needs to get younger and if I have a choice of spending money to bring someone in to fill a role, I want someone who has a chance of getting better as a season wear on, not brittle.

I will use our hated rivals the Ravens as an example. Todd Heap was beloved by the fans...I am sure there were a lot of fans who were shocked and pi$$ed at their jetisoning of him and Derrick Mason for that matter.

But I believe in the long run this probably was the best thing the Ravens could do. Not the ST windfall they received of the #2 seed, that is just gravy for them.

I hate writing this thread, and while I don't think the Steelers need a full rebuild, it's time to start seeding with potential and growth. Not keeping guys on the roster that should have moved on to their "life's work".

brothervad

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Some interesting tidbits from Dale Lolley:

© Hines Ward has told the P-G that he wants to play for the Steelers next season and is willing to take a pay cut to do so.

But, if a deal can't be worked out, Ward plans on trying to play somewhere else.

There are some on the coaching staff who don't want Ward back. In fact, one member of the staff didn't want him back in 2010.

But ownership wanted Ward with the team then and will likely want him back in 2012 as well.

Ward has been such a popular player for such a long time that the team will allow him to go out on his own terms and in a Steelers uniform. Unless, of course, Ward insists on having a greater role than what he played in the second half of 2012.

Steelgal
01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Some interesting tidbits from Dale Lolley:

© Hines Ward has told the P-G that he wants to play for the Steelers next season and is willing to take a pay cut to do so.

But, if a deal can't be worked out, Ward plans on trying to play somewhere else.

There are some on the coaching staff who don't want Ward back. In fact, one member of the staff didn't want him back in 2010.

But ownership wanted Ward with the team then and will likely want him back in 2012 as well.

Ward has been such a popular player for such a long time that the team will allow him to go out on his own terms and in a Steelers uniform. Unless, of course, Ward insists on having a greater role than what he played in the second half of 2012.

If ownership is going to get involved in the decision like that, then I think it's a mistake. Yes, Hines has been a great player for the Steelers for years, but his better days are far behind him and they need move on. i hated seeing Rod Woodson in another uniform, but it happens. You can't keep a guy on the roster just because he's been a great player for you. It's all about what he can do for you in the future and I just don't see Hines adding much to the roster.

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I don't see the Steelers keeping Hines as much as they would probably like to.
Too old for a team that is already too old. It's time to cut ties with the older players and look towards the future with the younger guys.

Had the coaches/team thought Hines was a positive to get the job done this past season then, Hines would have gotten more playing time. I also think the reason why they had Hines get his 1000 catch was to allow the Hines era to come to an end.

Cotchry is a nice addition to the team but, I doubt they will break the bank for him and need him to accept a modest paycheck since they're so over the cap. His body of work wasn't anything to write home about this season as a Steeler receiver with his injuries and very little playing time.

Will Cotchry be in that big of demand from the other NFL teams ? As someone said, Cotchry seemed to view the Steelers as the promise land and possibly he is now in it for the ring. Cotchry won't be the only verteran out there for the taking, Hines will probably make the market one more receiver ready.

I believe Hampton is due some big dollars that they probably can't get around unless, he restructures his salary or they're happy with McClendon and let big snack go.

Northern_Blitz
01-11-2012, 10:16 PM
If given the choice I would rather have Brown and Cotchery over just having Wallace. That is still a very good WR trio...Brown, Sanders and Cotchery. If Wallace wants top 10 money that is likely what we will see.

It is very unlikely that Wallace won't be on this team next year. He's an RFA so the team will keep him at a reasonably low number for at least a year. He'll likely sign a fair to team friendly contract with a middling term because the Team has all the leverage in the negotiations this year.

His alternative is playing a year under an RFA tender. In this case, a single injury to something like a knee, could end his entire career (especially for a guy that is so dependant on speed). The team will give him the opportunity to make more money than the average person will spend in a lifetime in his second contract, but it's the third contract (UFA) when guys become rediculously rich. It would be very hard to walk away from a deal like that IMO.

The only way he goes next year is if another team is willing to give us a 1st and a 3rd (I'm sure we'll give him the high tender) and we arn't willing to match. Wallace is good, but that's a hell of alot to give up for a WR.

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I think some of the reasoning behind whom they sign vs whom they release will have to do with personalities too. Not to say I know what these guys are like off the field or in the locker room but my guess that, has something to do with it too.
Antonio Brown reminds me a lot like Santonio Holmes and maybe it's only because of he copies that stupid ball pointing with dropping the ball as Santonio had. Also he catches a lot of passes.

They keep saying no one works harder than Antonio so I believe them but, I do wonder how well he would do if Wallace wasn't getting doubled teamed.

I have a lot of faith in Colbert with getting the best deals done with keeping the needed players.

Too bad he doesn't have input with what coaches stay and what coaches should get the boot.

Would Brown be more of an asset to have since he is also such a good player with the kick returns and then, if he is our number one receiver someday, will they still allow him to return kicks ?

aggiebones
01-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Wallace, Brown and Sanders are very young. It would not hurt to have Ward on the team for semi-cheap.
Ward and 3 young guys allows more teaching. Ward can still play enough and some guys will miss some time.

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't be upset if Ward remained at a minimum price but, I just wouldn't want him taking a roster spot over a future player that could add years and service to the team.

Chadman
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Everyone is talking about the Steelers 'getting old' & needing new blood, which is true.

But Ward is one that could stay- he actually is the only 'old' player on the Offense side of the ball. And he's a member of the youngest unit (outside of him) on the roster. His experience would be invaluable.

Is he a starter? Obviously not. But he can contribute...and teach Brown, Wallace & Sanders how to be Steelers.

He isn't holding anybody back, and he's not the reason the Offense wasn't working.

It's not the same on the D-side of the ball where aging players are keeping young players off the field, and declining in their on-field performance at the same time.

Slapstick
01-12-2012, 12:09 AM
It's a hell of a situation...

Personally, I'm torn...

There's a part of me that thinks Hines probably should hang 'em up...but, there's another part of me that thinks Hines can still be the player who scored 2 TDs against the Titans and that limiting his snaps to multiple WR sets will keep him healthy enough to threaten on passing downs...

And, Chadman is right: Hines isn't keeping anyone off the field. Mostly because the player who used to back him up clearly stepped up and earned the starting job. That hasn't happened a lot on defense...

steelz09
01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Ward, take a pay cut and retire a Steeler.

He's still a valuable asset for this team. Let's face it.... injuries are likely and depth is needed at the WR position.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-12-2012, 05:21 PM
This might get messy guys by the numbers. He is due a roster bonus in March. His cut would have to be in the 75% range. His base is 4 mil. That roster bonus will count towards 2012 cap. Vet min for Ward is $925,000. Add on his roster bonus at min he is already getting too much. Cotchery signed for $810,000 last year. I can't see anyone being happy through this process form the Rooney's to Ward & the fans when he gets cut. I just hope both sides add a little of the "family" we hear about when it comes time to bend. Both sides are gonna have to give alot to see Ward retire a Steeler.

phillyesq
01-12-2012, 05:46 PM
It's a hell of a situation...

Personally, I'm torn...

There's a part of me that thinks Hines probably should hang 'em up...but, there's another part of me that thinks Hines can still be the player who scored 2 TDs against the Titans and that limiting his snaps to multiple WR sets will keep him healthy enough to threaten on passing downs...

And, Chadman is right: Hines isn't keeping anyone off the field. Mostly because the player who used to back him up clearly stepped up and earned the starting job. That hasn't happened a lot on defense...

:Agree

I really thought at some point in the Denver game Ward would have converted a key third down or maybe even scored a TD. It was hard seeing him sit on the bench, which is where he'll likely be most of next year if he returns.

But this team will have a lot of veteran leaders retiring. It would be nice if he was around for one more year, but perhaps that is more sentiment than reason.

steeler_george
01-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Ward = Steelers! plain and simple

Not one player on the team, can compete who has the biggest heart and soul of being a steeler! Even this year, with the cameras showing him on the bench, for a moment when you see him, your heart cheers and got that steeler passion going through your veins thinking " HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO! " Regardless if you felt a slight pity for him. He still had that effect to get you going! Now that to me is priceless for the franchise!

I guarantee you people will still buy his jersey just because of that fact. Good marketing and great example for the young money crew, and other young Steeler stars, what it means to be a Steeler for life!

I think he is realist and knows that he is not 1 nor 2 nor 3 or even 4, but the fact is he wants to play for the steelers. Is he an expensive back up? Yes, but they are going to cut and restructure other players and for sure will go under the cap.

So, if he asks for a few 100,000 more than what is really ideal for a vetern WR so be it.

hawaiiansteel
01-13-2012, 12:36 AM
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11, 2012
posted by Dale Lolley

Odds and end zones

Hines Ward has told the P-G that he wants to play for the Steelers next season and is willing to take a pay cut to do so.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
This might get messy guys by the numbers. He is due a roster bonus in March. His cut would have to be in the 75% range. His base is 4 mil. That roster bonus will count towards 2012 cap. Vet min for Ward is $925,000. Add on his roster bonus at min he is already getting too much. Cotchery signed for $810,000 last year. I can't see anyone being happy through this process form the Rooney's to Ward & the fans when he gets cut. I just hope both sides add a little of the "family" we hear about when it comes time to bend. Both sides are gonna have to give alot to see Ward retire a Steeler.

He can forsake his roster bonus as part of a reduction. The only thing that he can't reduce is the value of any bonus already paid to him, and that stays on the cap whether he is here or not.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":223zbhd2]This might get messy guys by the numbers. He is due a roster bonus in March. His cut would have to be in the 75% range. His base is 4 mil. That roster bonus will count towards 2012 cap. Vet min for Ward is $925,000. Add on his roster bonus at min he is already getting too much. Cotchery signed for $810,000 last year. I can't see anyone being happy through this process form the Rooney's to Ward & the fans when he gets cut. I just hope both sides add a little of the "family" we hear about when it comes time to bend. Both sides are gonna have to give alot to see Ward retire a Steeler.

He can forsake his roster bonus as part of a reduction. The only thing that he can't reduce is the value of any bonus already paid to him, and that stays on the cap whether he is here or not.[/quote:223zbhd2]

I know how it works and his number over his base is $610,000 for 2012. So I assume his remaining signing bonus is 1.2 mil. Not sure of any gurantee money. What I am saying is his min salary for 2012 can be $925,000. Since his signing bonus may be $610,000 the min he will be making for 2012 is 1.5 mil. That would be with throwing everything out the window on his current contract that goes to 2013. So to get there he would have to take a 75% paycut and waive his roster bonus before March 1. That would be alot for him to swallow. Pride - end of career - contract money...don't get along well because the "What I did for the organization" is always going through the players mind. I hate this part of football.

Slapstick
01-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Hines knows that the FO is dealing with a cap situation...he also knows that he has been beaten out for a starting position...

He knows the position of the FO and he knows that any negotiations would be in good faith...they aren't pinching pennies, they simply have to deal with the realities of the salary cap...

Realistically, Hines isn't going to make more than veteran minimum anywhere he signs...he can take it from the Steelers or he can take it from another team...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Hines knows that the FO is dealing with a cap situation...he also knows that he has been beaten out for a starting position...

He knows the position of the FO and he knows that any negotiations would be in good faith...they aren't pinching pennies, they simply have to deal with the realities of the salary cap...

Realistically, Hines isn't going to make more than veteran minimum anywhere he signs...he can take it from the Steelers or he can take it from another team...

Realisticaly yes......But is Hines going to play for Vet min? Of course he knows the Steelers situation and where he is at on the depth chart. Like I said...This is what I hate about football. Hines in under contract and he has spent his whole career here and doesn't want to retire just yet. He was a big part of the success the Steelers had for over the last decade. But it isn't about what he did anymore. You have to feel that pride will come into the equation when he is sitting in the room of Rooney's, Colbert, Tomlin, & his agent and they say "Hines...We can't let you play out your contract. Will you be willing to take a substantial pay cut to remain here." When he asks how much or what they purpose for 2012 and his number went from 4 mil plus to 1.5 mil that will be difficult.

Lets be clear on how I feel. I would love to have Ward back around vet min. I don't want to see him play in another uniform. I would hope he walks away before he decides that path. He can make his money sitting in front of a camera on Sundays. The business side of it is you can get a rookie or 2nd year player in the 300k-500k range and his contract isn't guranteed. If Sanders & Cotchery were healthy all year, where would Wards catch count be? Where do we think Ward catch count will be next year? It is an easy argument to put his catches under 20 on this team. I have that gut feeling where this is that ugly time where the Steelers are forced to let fan favorites and franchise core players go to move on to reload before the train leaves. The window shut but if you act quickly and be proactive...There is no reason that window remains closed. It can open as quickly as next year. Protect & Invest in the future. The Investment in the past needs to be erased.

Slapstick
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Again, there won't be any team that gives Hines more than veteran minimum...

I shouldn't say that...there is always a possibility...

We're in an era where Randy Moss gets traded and then cut...

Derrick Mason gets traded and then retires...

Hines just has to decide what is important:

Playing WR for a bottom feeder (for veteran minumum) with zero SB opportunity

or

Playing another season (for veteran minimum) and retiring as a Steeler

Take a cue from Cotchery, Hines!

hawaiiansteel
01-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Hines Ward Didn't Get Enough Opportunities this Season

by Michael Bean on Jan 13, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2744559/51590_Steelers_Bears_Football.jpg

After the Pittsburgh Steelers were bounced from this year's playoffs by the Denver Broncos last Sunday afternoon, speculation immediately began about Hines Ward. Was he going to retire? Had he played his last game in a Steelers uniform? Ward insists that he is not retiring, and he's made it clear that he understands the need to restructure his contract in order to return for his 15th season in Pittsburgh.

Even so, some wonder if the Steelers should bring him back. At 34 years old, Ward is definitely in the twilight of his career, but I don't think anything about this season necessarily suggests he can't still play. Ward finished the season with 46 catches for 381 yards and 2 TDs. His 8.3 yards per reception were the lowest of his NFL career. However, Ward caught an impressive 73 percent of the passes thrown his way. His catch rate was easily the highest amongst Steelers wide receivers. Mike Wallace's catch rate was 63 percent, 56 percent for Antonio Brown, while Emmanuel Sanders only hauled in 51 percent of the passes thrown his way.

I'd need to go back and watch the tapes again, but obviously a healthy percentage of Ward's 46 receptions came in the form of bubble screens. And yes, I was as frustrated by those play calls at times as you were. But the fact of the matter is those plays are essentially an extension of the running game, and some of the few plays where Roethlisberger wasn't in regularly under pressure or sacked frequently. In fact, I'd guess that he was never sacked on those types of quick-hitting horizontal passing plays.

More on this after re-watching the games and isolating Ward's receptions, but to me, the numbers are pretty clear. Ward was still a viable offensive weapon when his number was called. Three out of four times that the ball was thrown his way, Ward made the catch. And on average, those connections went for just over 8 yards per pop. Not staggering productivity by any stretch of the imagination, but for a team that struggled to protect the quarterback or run the ball consistently, perhaps it would have behooved Bruce Arians and Big Ben to utilize Ward more regularly, even at the expense of the spectacular, big play down the field.

Obviously Ward can't be targeted too much for the simple reason that he's not able to create enough separation on many routes down the field. But Ward knows he can still work the soft spot of zones and use his savvy to get a half step on defensive backs in the short passing game. Again, it may not be spectacular, but it would help keep Big Ben upright and healthy, the chains moving at a more steady clip, and presumably help the defense by shortening the game slightly and minimizing the veteran group's exposure to wear and tear over the course of a long season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hlisberger (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/13/2705321/hines-ward-stats-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger)

Shoe
01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Hines Ward Didn't Get Enough Opportunities this Season

by Michael Bean on Jan 13, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2744559/51590_Steelers_Bears_Football.jpg

After the Pittsburgh Steelers were bounced from this year's playoffs by the Denver Broncos last Sunday afternoon, speculation immediately began about Hines Ward. Was he going to retire? Had he played his last game in a Steelers uniform? Ward insists that he is not retiring, and he's made it clear that he understands the need to restructure his contract in order to return for his 15th season in Pittsburgh.

Even so, some wonder if the Steelers should bring him back. At 34 years old, Ward is definitely in the twilight of his career, but I don't think anything about this season necessarily suggests he can't still play. Ward finished the season with 46 catches for 381 yards and 2 TDs. His 8.3 yards per reception were the lowest of his NFL career. However, Ward caught an impressive 73 percent of the passes thrown his way. His catch rate was easily the highest amongst Steelers wide receivers. Mike Wallace's catch rate was 63 percent, 56 percent for Antonio Brown, while Emmanuel Sanders only hauled in 51 percent of the passes thrown his way.

I'd need to go back and watch the tapes again, but obviously a healthy percentage of Ward's 46 receptions came in the form of bubble screens. And yes, I was as frustrated by those play calls at times as you were. But the fact of the matter is those plays are essentially an extension of the running game, and some of the few plays where Roethlisberger wasn't in regularly under pressure or sacked frequently. In fact, I'd guess that he was never sacked on those types of quick-hitting horizontal passing plays.

More on this after re-watching the games and isolating Ward's receptions, but to me, the numbers are pretty clear. Ward was still a viable offensive weapon when his number was called. Three out of four times that the ball was thrown his way, Ward made the catch. And on average, those connections went for just over 8 yards per pop. Not staggering productivity by any stretch of the imagination, but for a team that struggled to protect the quarterback or run the ball consistently, perhaps it would have behooved Bruce Arians and Big Ben to utilize Ward more regularly, even at the expense of the spectacular, big play down the field.

Obviously Ward can't be targeted too much for the simple reason that he's not able to create enough separation on many routes down the field. But Ward knows he can still work the soft spot of zones and use his savvy to get a half step on defensive backs in the short passing game. Again, it may not be spectacular, but it would help keep Big Ben upright and healthy, the chains moving at a more steady clip, and presumably help the defense by shortening the game slightly and minimizing the veteran group's exposure to wear and tear over the course of a long season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hlisberger (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/13/2705321/hines-ward-stats-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger)

Who is this moron Michael Bean?
To cite how he caught 75% of the balls thrown his way, and say "yes, I understand many were bubble screens", shows that 75% stat is meaningless! Also, citing a WR with an 8 YPC is retarded.

Hines is my all-time 1a/1b Steeler (with 95). But this seems like a publicity measure (to say what he said to the media). Unless he takes the vet minimum.

Snatch98
01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
First off I haven't read the entire thread so if what I'm about to say was already mentioned I apologize. Hines Ward is a great leader and locker room guy. He's still also one hell of a blocker. I understand he'll rarely see the field but I still believe there is room for him on the team if he takes a significant pay cut. He'll play one more season and hang them up in my opinion. If he's looking for more than a one year deal I'm not sure how I feel about it. Who knows maybe if he hangs them up they can take him on as a coach/consultant. I'd HATE to see the guy in another uniform.

feltdizz
01-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I'd hate to see Hines in another uni but I would hate it even more to see a young WR in another uni teaing it up while Hines is on the bench.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-16-2012, 10:34 AM

or

I would hope he does. I am not so sure that simply retiring a Steeler will be #1 priority for him. It is his the love of the game and the fact that he still wants to "play" that is driving him to come back. We all know how the system works. His agent will do his "hypothetical" homework and relay the information to Ward. Ward will know what he can get. He will have his number and playing time in his head. He may have a figure for 2 years at 1.5 with signing bonus that would be in the 2 mil for 2012 with a #3 WR opportunity. That is a very realistic number if you look at Mason. Ward & the Steelers could end up being $500,000 apart but the real determining factor will be the playing time he thinks he could get somewhere else. A healthy WR core and Cotchery departing puts Ward at best #4 on the depth chart. When you get that far down your gameday active status is in jeopardy because Ward isn't playing ST. I think Battle & Allen will be cap cuts and they will be looking for ST bodies. It is difficult for me to believe that Ward finds his role here for 2012 appealing. It is equally difficult for me to believe the Steelers would like or even could afford having 2 mil sitting on the bench gameday or accounting for 20 catches given the cap situation and with young players in line for new deals. It will bring a tear to my eye to see him leave...But it would also bring a tear to my eye to hear he agrees to stay here for a vet min renego plus his signing bonus. If he does that, that is a higher pedestal I will put him on.

Oviedo
01-16-2012, 10:52 AM

or

I would hope he does. I am not so sure that simply retiring a Steeler will be #1 priority for him. It is his the love of the game and the fact that he still wants to "play" that is driving him to come back. We all know how the system works. His agent will do his "hypothetical" homework and relay the information to Ward. Ward will know what he can get. He will have his number and playing time in his head. He may have a figure for 2 years at 1.5 with signing bonus that would be in the 2 mil for 2012 with a #3 WR opportunity. That is a very realistic number if you look at Mason. Ward & the Steelers could end up being $500,000 apart but the real determining factor will be the playing time he thinks he could get somewhere else. A healthy WR core and Cotchery departing puts Ward at best #4 on the depth chart. When you get that far down your gameday active status is in jeopardy because Ward isn't playing ST. I think Battle & Allen will be cap cuts and they will be looking for ST bodies. It is difficult for me to believe that Ward finds his role here for 2012 appealing. It is equally difficult for me to believe the Steelers would like or even could afford having 2 mil sitting on the bench gameday or accounting for 20 catches given the cap situation and with young players in line for new deals. It will bring a tear to my eye to see him leave...But it would also bring a tear to my eye to hear he agrees to stay here for a vet min renego plus his signing bonus. If he does that, that is a higher pedestal I will put him on.

Hines will make the biggest mistake of his life going to a team desperate for another WR because that team will likely be a bad one. He needs to talk to Franco Harris.

Shoe
01-17-2012, 01:29 AM
But it would also bring a tear to my eye to hear he agrees to stay here for a vet min renego plus his signing bonus. If he does that, that is a higher pedestal I will put him on.

As if he needs to do anything more to cement his status, but you are RIGHT. The way he's always representing, he treats the game JUST LIKE the fans. In an era of pro sports when everyone is buddy-buddy, he keeps hated opponents (i.e. Ravens) at a healthy distance, etc.

If he were to make this gesture, it would cement him with a spot alongside the 70's Steelers, etc. where he already is anyway.

SS Laser
01-17-2012, 01:48 AM
But it would also bring a tear to my eye to hear he agrees to stay here for a vet min renego plus his signing bonus. If he does that, that is a higher pedestal I will put him on.

As if he needs to do anything more to cement his status, but you are RIGHT. The way he's always representing, he treats the game JUST LIKE the fans. In an era of pro sports when everyone is buddy-buddy, he keeps hated opponents (i.e. Ravens) at a healthy distance, etc.

If he were to make this gesture, it would cement him with a spot alongside the 70's Steelers, etc. where he already is anyway.

He will do what the Bus did. Will be a steeler in 2012 and make plays for us. Even if it is blocking.

Also I seen he was or will be on a NFL network show. Have to look into that more.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2ubx3fm3]But it would also bring a tear to my eye to hear he agrees to stay here for a vet min renego plus his signing bonus. If he does that, that is a higher pedestal I will put him on.

He will do what the Bus did. Will be a steeler in 2012 and make plays for us. Even if it is blocking.

Also I seen he was or will be on a NFL network show. Have to look into that more.[/quote:2ubx3fm3]

But you guys know what I'm talking about. If he leaves...We all know why and that wouldn't change what he did here. But if he does the "Bettis" route...I will hold him in the same regard as Bettis. Bettis was a little different because he didn't have a ring but there is just something special about the profesional athlete who makes a move to show all heart & no ego. All heart & no ego is the Steeler's name.

SS Laser
01-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Some Ward for ya.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... Tebowmania (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d82611e70/Hines-Ward-on-dealing-with-Tebowmania)

Shoe
01-17-2012, 08:08 PM
[quote=Shoe][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2sr4bf6l]But it would also bring a tear to my eye to hear he agrees to stay here for a vet min renego plus his signing bonus. If he does that, that is a higher pedestal I will put him on.

Also I seen he was or will be on a NFL network show. Have to look into that more.[/quote:2sr4bf6l]

But you guys know what I'm talking about. If he leaves...We all know why and that wouldn't change what he did here. But if he does the "Bettis" route...I will hold him in the same regard as Bettis. Bettis was a little different because he didn't have a ring but there is just something special about the profesional athlete who makes a move to show all heart & no ego. All heart & no ego is the Steeler's name.[/quote:2sr4bf6l]

Absolutely!
As I said, he is my 2nd/1st favorite Steeler. So he can't really go higher on my "pedestal". Having said that, after reading this original article, my first or second thought was that this was a play in the media, to curry favor and put the onus on the team so that when he does go, it'll look like he wanted to stay when there was really no chance of him staying.

But if he were to take a real paycut in an effort to "remain a Steeler", I agree. It would be an unquestionable gesture. I'm jaded, so even with Hines, I don't see it happening. But what do I know.

SS Laser
01-17-2012, 11:24 PM
I also think Ward will be on NFL Networks show No Huddle this wednesday at 10pm. But I can not confirm because I suck searching the NFL website or the website sucks!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-18-2012, 12:53 AM
I can't see any team giving Hines much more than the vet min. All that another team can offer is the chance to fight for a starting spot in camp - I can't see any team just handing him one.

The question is do we offer him a contract to start the season as the #4 or 5 or do we decide that it time to move on? Based on the fact that he never whined about being dropped way down the list this season, and because he is the type of good teammate who will help the kids when needed, I can see him getting the offer to return.

Although, I think that I would rather watch him hang 'em up and have a Hines Ward day with a nice pre-game ceremony sometime next season.

Slapstick
01-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Hines could renegotiate his salary into NLTBE (Not Likely To Be Earned) incentives...that way, Hines could conceivably earn his scheduled salary and the cap hit would be put off until next year...

Given Sanders' injury history, this could be the best deal Hines can get. I don't think he ever came back 100% after his injury this year...