PDA

View Full Version : Is Wallace worth his big pay check?

steeler_george
01-11-2012, 08:08 AM
i am for the Steelers to franchise Wallace, but I think his greatest value to us is if he can be turned into high-mid 1st round draft pick to grab an elite LT or G to keep ben upright and open holes in the running game.

imagine a young elite OL

mendy, red, batch

heath, saunders,

brown, cotchry, sanders, ward, rookie, fa

i think there is enough talent at skilled position to be an improved O with a dominate OL.

rpmpit
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
A few weeks ago I would have said yes. Now I'm not so sure. I'm sure about Brown. He is the total package at wr.

steelblood
01-11-2012, 08:52 AM
At this point, Wallace isn't even under contract (he is a RFA) so he cannot be traded right now.

But, I do agree with you (sort of). IMHO, Wallace should be tendered at the high RFA level. This way we will at least get a 1st and 3rd round pick for him if a team offers him a contract and we decide not to match. Or, he plays next season for about 1.5 million dollars.viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19974 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19974)

Chadman
01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Wallace is worth an large contract. Back-to-back 100o yard seasons, the best deep threat in the NFL...opens up space for guys like Miller & Brown...comfortable with Ben's style of play/

Don't weaken a strength of the team simply because he's not a 'complete WR'....the dude is a weapon.

feltdizz
01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Wallace is worth an large contract. Back-to-back 100o yard seasons, the best deep threat in the NFL...opens up space for guys like Miller & Brown...comfortable with Ben's style of play/

Don't weaken a strength of the team simply because he's not a 'complete WR'....the dude is a weapon.

:Agree

I may not like his weaknesses but I love his strength(s)

Chadman
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks Felt.

The WR's, as a group, is as close to complete as you'll see for NFL WR's. They have speed, agility, good hands, scoring ability, big play ability...

What they don't have is a sure-fire #1 WR, but do you really need one?

flippy
01-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I see Brown as a #1 in the mold of Steve Smith (Carolina).

My take is Tomlin's done a good job at finding WRs in the draft. And these guys are a dime a dozen. Ben won a SuperBowl with Ward, ARE, and Ced as his top 3 WRs. And I think he can do it again with any trio.

I'd like to see us spending some money to build in the trenches on both sides of the ball. That's where we've become weak. Let's protect Ben and give him time to work with any WRs. We'd be fine with Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery.

I don't see any WR as the difference between winning and losing SuperBowls.

And let's help Ben out with some play calling. 3 step drops. Quick hits. Let him get into a rhythm and get rid of the ball quickly. Get the D off balance and then mix in some of the 7 step drops and take some shots down field. But every play being a vertical route that takes 5+ seconds to develop is the reason Ben takes the pounding that he does.

MeetJoeGreene
01-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I really like Wallace.... BUT

It would be mighty tempting getting a first AND a third for him if we tender at that level.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
One trick pony. If ball doesn't land in bread basket it is not completed. No thanks. Save big payday for Brown. Tender at highest for Wallace.

Doogie36
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
and these guys get along!! Dont under value that!! Look at the JETS! We need wallace to open up the underneath! Imagine if Ben was able to extend some plays this past month? Man o Man what could of been!!!! Wallace will only help that!

A deep threat is ALWAYS a great thing and i wouldnt just up and give him away so Brown can be the guy doubled teamed all year!

Wallace is the very reason Brown had 1,000 yards receiving.

KEEP HIM PLEASE!

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2012, 11:15 AM

It would be mighty tempting getting a first AND a third for him if we tender at that level.

I think that the only team that would be willing to sign Wallace to give up a 1st and a 3rd for a speed WR would be Oakland (I'm assuming of course, that Al Davis' kid is as enamored with pure speed as Al was) but they already used up their first round pick to get a QB who likes to deep throat sausages, so they are out of the running to tender him a big deal as an RFA.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM

I think that the only team that would be willing to sign Wallace to give up a 1st and a 3rd for a speed WR would be Oakland (I'm assuming of course, that Al Davis' kid is as enamored with pure speed as Al was) but they already used up their first round pick to get a QB who likes to deep throat sausages, so they are out of the running to tender him a big deal as an RFA.

I would take just a first for him.

grotonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
If i am a GM i would not give Mike Wallace a big pay check.

Wallace had a horrible game against Broncos. Infact he had horrible 8-9 games this season. Success went to his head. Wallace was sulking because AB became MVP.He can't make plays for his QB. Unless Ben throws a money ball he ain't catching that ball.

If he wants boat load of money i would trade him for a 1st Rd pick. I will use that pick to draft Alshon Jefferey of USC. A big tall physical WR impossible to defend in the red zone.

Ben can chuck the ball in double-triple coverage to Alshon and he can pluck the ball from air for his QB which Wallace can never do.

rpmpit
01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
One trick pony. If ball doesn't land in bread basket it is not completed. No thanks. Save big payday for Brown. Tender at highest for Wallace.

Didn't that 50-whatever yarder that he dropped, land right in his bread basket??

I don't dislike Wallace. Just not as good as we thought he'd be.

BTW, if Santonio (put aside your personal feelings about him) is on the field last year on the final drive against the Packers, instead of Wallace - do we win the game?? I believe we do.

grotonsteel
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
BTW, if Santonio (put aside your personal feelings about him) is on the field last year on the final drive against the Packers, instead of Wallace - do we win the game?? I believe we do.

I don't care what people say about Santonio..(I know he is a cancer in the locker room) but if he was on the field against GB i have no doubt Steelers would have won that game.

Now i was not in a favor to sign him but i would have let him complete his rookie contract and let him go instead of trading him for a 5th Rd player.

Lebsteel
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Wallace is not worth a LARGE contract. Second Tier contract at $5 mil per year is about his value range. If we could get a first rounder for him, I would jump at it in a second.

steelz09
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't pay him huge money.

Not every play can be a post, fly or a WR screen. He's just not dynamic enough.

I do want the Steelers to sign him though for the right price. I'm just having a hard time think of the right price.

He's NOT a top 5 WR so that type of price tag is completely out of the question. He's NOT a Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, C. Johnson, G. Jennings. I would even put AJ Green above Wallace. Holmes is more dynamic than Wallace. How about Crabtree on a run 1st team with an average (at best) QB like the 49ers? Is he better than Colston from New Orleans?

Wallace may be top 10.... MAYBE

Slapstick
01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Wallace's value is that he threatens an opposing defense...

Yes, Brady won a lot of games this year...but, he did not have a weapon to threaten the Steelers D...

If Wallace had caught that long 50+ yard bomb, it would have frosted that Broncos pretty good...

Tender him at the highest level and franchise him next year if necessary...make him feel important and an integral part of the offense and he will produce...

snarky
01-11-2012, 01:21 PM
If it's me, I offer him the high tender, then I find religion and start praying that another team signs him.

He's a great player but the curve is going the wrong way. We are going to trim some fat and as an organization, I would be focusing on retooling for as many SB runs as possible before Ben retires. I'll take my chances with a 1st and a 3rd over a more-or-less one dimensional WR who doesn't fight for the ball and seems to be regressing.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
The question is flawed because Wallace is an RFA, not a UFA. He would not be franchised, he would be tendered. The question is how high do you tender him?

Prior to the new CBA, this was the RFA tender schedule for 2011 (I don't know if that has changed)

Veterans with 3 accrued seasons:

3.317M - 1st & 3rd round compensation*
2.611M - 1st round compensation*
1.835M - 2nd round compensation*
1.200M - original round compensation*
1.200M - right of first refusal

* or 110% of the previous year's pay (whichever is higher)

So assuming that this number is say 10% higher, now what are you willing to do with Wallace?

I would like to have him back for one more year to see if he can work through whatever affected him the second half of the season. At approx. $3.65M you pretty much tie him up for the year (1st and 3rd compensation if he gets signed away) and have one more look to see if he is going to be a $8-10M receiver for you.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
2.611M - 1st round compensation*

I would pick this one. Maybe it lures someone in to swipe him away for a first round pick. Brown becomes our deep threat considering he is about a gnats azz slower then wallace and has better hands. We pick another WR in the mid rounds and bring in some UDFA from smaller schools to compete in camp. Use the 1st round pick on OL.

Oviedo
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Didn't Wallace's peers in the NFL who play against him just vote him to the Pro Bowl along with fans from across the country? Didn't we hear from former players who are now on networks commenting about how other teams gameplan against Wallace, did hear that about Brown???? Guess they all know nothing. :?

I love both Wallace and Brown because together they are synergistic on what they cause to happen on the field. The attention Wallace gets has allowed Brown to be successful. Don't kid yourself though by thinking Brown would get the same deep threat coverage and attention that Wallace does. Brown is a move the chains type of guy with great after the catch ability. If you take one away there is nothing equal to make that equation the same and that threat the same.

If you want a team that can get into scoring battles with other teams like Green Bay, New Orleans and New England you would not let Wallace go anywhere.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Didn't Wallace's peers in the NFL who play against him just vote him to the Pro Bowl along with fans from across the country? Didn't we hear from former players who are now on networks commenting about how other teams gameplan against Wallace, did hear that about Brown???? Guess they all know nothing. :?

I love both Wallace and Brown because together they are synergistic on what they cause to happen on the field. The attention Wallace gets has allowed Brown to be successful.

If you want a team that can get into scoring battles with other teams like Green Bay, New Orleans and New England you would not let Wallace go anywhere.

You would, however, get rid of Bruce Arians! Guess we will have to rely on our D to prevent those teams from scoring quite as much like we normally do when playing playoff caliber teams.

Honestly, the only 'shootout' I can EVER remember the Steelers winning was the game Ben put up 500+ yards passing vs. Green Bay a few years ago. That is really the ONLY time I can remember something like that.

NorthCoast
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM

I may not like his weaknesses but I love his strength(s)

+1.... it might not be so much about the plays HE is making as much as about the plays others are. Still a 1000 yd WR....could do far far worse. But somebody will likely offer him crazy money....then will need to make a decision. The crazy money needs to go to Brown.

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2012, 02:18 PM

An actual on-field opponent thought Brown was a better receiver than Wallace, and this was said at the beginning of November, before Antonio really took off and before Wallace really tailed off.

Lardarius Webb thinks Antonio Brown is better than Mike Wallace
Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 2:32 PM EST

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace has become one of the great young wideouts in the NFL. But Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb thinks there’s even a greater receiver.

On the same team.

“Every time somebody asks me [a question], they’re always talking about Mike Wallace. But they have a guy No. 84 in Antonio Brown who is better than 17 [Wallace] in all aspects of the game,” Webb said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “He’s a great returner, a great wide receiver.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/lardarius-webb-thinks-antonio-brown-is-better-than-mike-wallace/

BigRob
01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
You know what team would love to have Wallace and has picks to burn?

Cleveland

They could easily land Wallace. The one thing that would prevent this is they would not want to give the Steelers two high picks this draft.

However, he is just what their offense needs to go with Greg Little.

RGIII, Greg, Little, Mike Wallace, Josh Cribbs is much better than what they had this year.

flippy
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM

An actual on-field opponent thought Brown was a better receiver than Wallace, and this was said at the beginning of November, before Antonio really took off and before Wallace really tailed off.

Lardarius Webb thinks Antonio Brown is better than Mike Wallace
Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 2:32 PM EST

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace has become one of the great young wideouts in the NFL. But Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb thinks there’s even a greater receiver.

On the same team.

“Every time somebody asks me [a question], they’re always talking about Mike Wallace. But they have a guy No. 84 in Antonio Brown who is better than 17 [Wallace] in all aspects of the game,” Webb said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com. “He’s a great returner, a great wide receiver.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/lardarius-webb-thinks-antonio-brown-is-better-than-mike-wallace/

And I wouldn't be surprised to hear people saying similar things about Manny Sanders soon.

feltdizz
01-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I predicted Brown would be the best WR back when many were screaming about Wallace.

Anyway.... just about every Steeler fan was on the Wallace wagon until Brown changed our mind.

If someone offers crazy money Wallace has to go.... but I would love to keep him if possible. Let Mend go...

RuthlessBurgher
01-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Cleveland

They could easily land Wallace. The one thing that would prevent this is they would not want to give the Steelers two high picks this draft.

RGIII, Greg, Little, Mike Wallace, Josh Cribbs is much better than what they had this year.

However, if they tendered him a contract as an RFA, and we had the highest tender on him (requiring 1st and 3rd round compensation), they would have to give up their own 1st round pick (#4 overall) as opposed to the 1st rounder they got from Atlanta (#22 overall), so they would not be able to have both Griffin and Wallace.

BigRob
01-11-2012, 02:50 PM

Cleveland

However, if they tendered him a contract as an RFA, and we had the highest tender on him (requiring 1st and 3rd round compensation), they would have to give up their own 1st round pick (#4 overall) as opposed to the 1st rounder they got from Atlanta (#22 overall), so they would not be able to have both Griffin and Wallace.

Too true. What if they offered a straight up #22 for Wallace. Would the Steelers accept?

flippy
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Cleveland

If we got the #4 pick, they can have Wallace :)

ikestops85
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Don't be so quick to let Wallace slip away. The guy has major talent but I'm just not sure what happened to him the last half of the year. He's never had a problem going over the middle and he always seemed to have pretty good hands until late this year. He even used to fight some for the ball.

I don't know what happened. Did he get frustrated with all the double coverage? Did Ben stop looking at him? He just seemed to lose focus. I think we need to keep him for another year and see what happens.

Slapstick
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Are you 100% certain of this? I am not...

papillon
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Just for the purpose of this debate here's a little info:

Games 1-8
Catches - 43
Yards - 800
Yards/Catch - 18.60
TDs - 5

Games 9-16
Catches - 29
Yards - 393
Yards/Catch - 13.55
TDs - 3

I knew his production dropped off, but I never realized how much it dropped off after the mid-point of the season.

Pappy

Shawn
01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
I have changed my mind on this issue, mainly because of the play of Cotchery. I would rather keep Brown, Cotchery, and Sanders...get a first rounder that solidifies the OL than to have Wallace, Brown, Sanders-minus Cotchery and minus the OL.

pittpete
01-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Mike Wallace
Games 1-8
Targeted 58
Rec 43
Rec %74.1
Games 9-16
Targeted 56
Rec 29
Rec % 51.8
Make your own assumptions or exc :wink: uses
http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/

Shoe
01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I am in favor of attempting to re-sign Wallace to a very good 2nd contract. I'm not talking Andre Johnson/Larry Fitz money, because he's not in that league. But the next level I guess.

Having said that though, I think it's reasonable to say that we've seen the best of Wallace.

Chadman
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Classic "end of disappointing season over reaction" stuff.

We've seen the best of Mike Wallace? He's regressing?

Dude's in his 3rd year- we've scraped the surface.

Yes- his production fell away as the season went on. Anyone have a definate reason for it? When did Ben get hurt? When did Ben start throwing into double coverage more?

How much did Brown snapping up a bunch of passes take away Wallace's shorter, easier stuff?

How much did the double coverage on Wallace open up the field for Brown?

But you're all probably right. Wallace obviously sucks. We should get rid of him & rely on the guy the Jets didn't think could beat out Plax. While we are at it, we should trade away Timmons & Pouncey, because they obviously suck. And bring back Farrior because the man's a warrior.

When's the draft again?

Lebsteel
01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Classic "end of disappointing season over reaction" stuff.

We've seen the best of Mike Wallace? He's regressing?

Dude's in his 3rd year- we've scraped the surface.

Yes- his production fell away as the season went on. Anyone have a definate reason for it? When did Ben get hurt? When did Ben start throwing into double coverage more?

How much did Brown snapping up a bunch of passes take away Wallace's shorter, easier stuff?

How much did the double coverage on Wallace open up the field for Brown?

But you're all probably right. Wallace obviously sucks. We should get rid of him & rely on the guy the Jets didn't think could beat out Plax. While we are at it, we should trade away Timmons & Pouncey, because they obviously suck. And bring back Farrior because the man's a warrior.

When's the draft again?
YES!!! Now Chadman understands!!

I am certainly not as high on Wallace as you are...I guess I am very skeptical of throwing big money at someone that does not consistently perform....kinda like Timmons.

Hey, on another thought, Chadman, did you read who America's favorite professional athlete is? Ha Ha...just a little humor there...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7451061/espn-sports-poll-denver-broncos-tim-tebow-us-favorite-active-pro-athlete

Chadman
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
does not consistently perform

2 seasons, 2 1000 yrd returns for the year. Not consistant?

Ok, there was a drop-off as this season went on, but it coincides directly with an increase in Brown's production. Isn't it entirely possible that the 2 are related?

pittpete
01-11-2012, 06:51 PM
but it coincides directly with an increase in Brown's production.

Possibly, but Wallace was targeted 113 times this year 13 more than 2010 :?:

Lebsteel
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Ok, there was a drop-off as this season went on, but it coincides directly with an increase in Brown's production. Isn't it entirely possible that the 2 are related?

OK, we can discuss whether or not he has been consistent, but do his numbers warrant top 5-10 WR $$? I would prefer to have Wallace, Brown, Sanders for many years, but I'm not sure it will be financially possible. I'd be OK with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery as our top 3 WR for the next few years if it means we can fill our other higher priority positions with elite talent, i.e. LG, ILB and NT.

Chadman
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM

OK, we can discuss whether or not he has been consistent, but do his numbers warrant top 5-10 WR $$? I would prefer to have Wallace, Brown, Sanders for many years, but I'm not sure it will be financially possible. I'd be OK with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery as our top 3 WR for the next few years if it means we can fill our other higher priority positions with elite talent, i.e. LG, ILB and NT.

But Leb, while Brown, Sanders & Cotchery are all fine players in their own right, do they demand the double coverage, the deep coverage or even just the 'fear factor' that Wallace provides? More to the point- if Wallace leaves, how effective will these other guys be as they won't stretch the field & open up shorter routes the way Wallace does.

Individually no Steeler WR is 'complete'- but as a group, they are as dangerous & well complimented as they come. Losing wallace could severely limit the effectiveness of the others.

hawaiiansteel
01-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Bires: Wallace faded at the finish

Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

PITTSBURGH -- In two weeks, Mike Wallace will bask in the warm Hawaiian sun. He'll be there basking in the glory of his selection as a Pro Bowl wide receiver.

Wallace, one of NFL's fastest players, made it to the all-star game based primarily on what he did during the first eight games of regular-season play. During that time, he was the most feared pass catcher in the AFC.

However, in the Steelers' last eight games and then in Sunday's wild-card loss in Denver, Wallace was not Pro Bowl material. His performance was disappointing.

For as much as he overachieved in September and October, he underachieved in November, December and January.

And as the Steelers head into the off-season feeling so sad about the way their Super Bowl hopes ended, certainly Wallace must shoulder his share of the blame.

No doubt Ike Taylor was the No. 1 goat in the 29-23 overtime loss to Tim Tebow and the Broncos. His failure to cover Demaryius Thomas was arguably the worst post-season performance in franchise history.

But a second-quarter pass Wallace dropped will go down as one of the most infamous bobbles ever by a Steeler.

After the Broncos went ahead 7-6, it appeared that the Steelers would strike back immediately. On the Steelers' next possession, Ben Roethlisberger threw a bomb to Wallace for a 52-yard gain.

It was the Steelers' way of saying "Take that Tebow!"

But Wallace didn't catch the ball cleanly. He juggled it, and as he hit the ground, a piece of the ball touched the turf. The Broncos used instant replay challenge to dispute the catch, and after reviewing the tape, the referee overturned the call.

Instead of having momentum and the ball on the Denver 28, the Steelers were back at their own 20.

Two plays later, the Steelers punted. A few plays after that, Tebow scored to make it 14-6.

But if Wallace would have caught that 52-yard pass cleanly and the Steelers would have gone ahead with either a field goal or touchdown, who knows what the final outcome would have been?

In that wild-card game, Roethlisberger targeted Wallace 10 times. But only three times did they connect for just 26 yards.

Certainly Wallace didn't elevate his game when the banged-up Steelers needed it most.
Last year when Wallace ranked second in the NFL with a 21.0 yards-per-catch average, coach Mike Tomlin often referred to him as a one-trick pony. Wallace's forte was going deep. Few did it better.

This year, the Steelers wanted Wallace to develop into a better all-around receiver. They wanted improvement in running routs, reading defenses, catching the ball in traffic, breaking tackles after the catch, etc.

Early in the year, it looked like Wallace was progressing nicely in all areas. But down the homestretch, he showed that he still has a long way to go. In the second half of the season, he dropped way too many passes, some when he was wide open.
Just like the drop Sunday in Denver.

Catches like that are supposed to be routine for all-star receivers.

During the off-season, Wallace must work harder than ever to improve on all facets of playing wide receiver. If he doesn't, his upcoming trip to Hawaii may be his last.

Mike Wallace's regular-season receptions and receiving yards

FIRST EIGHT GAMES

8 for 107
8 for 126, 1 TD
5 for 144, 1 TD
4 for 77
6 for 82, 1 TD
2 for 76, 1 TD
3 for 118, 1 TD
7 for 70

TOTALS
43 catches, 800 yards, 5 TDs

SECOND EIGHT GAMES

4 for 68, 1 TD
6 for 54
2 for 17
3 for 38, 2 TDs
4 for 57
5 for 66
4 for 82
1 for 11

TOTALS
29 catches, 393 yards, 3 TDs

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local ... 0f31a.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-wallace-faded-at-the-finish/article_8e7d1c56-3c17-11e1-b8b1-0019bb30f31a.html)

SteelCrazy
01-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Mike Wallace: Steelers to place lofty tender on WR Wallace

The Steelers are expected to tender restricted free agent Mike Wallace at the first-round level if the sides can't agree to a long-term contract before free agency begins on March 13.
If another team tried signing Wallace to an offer sheet after he was tendered at the first-round level, the Steelers would receive a first-round pick in return. (As good as Wallace is, few teams would be willing.) Wallace is almost certain to be back with Pittsburgh in 2012. In a perfect world, the Steelers would lock up the 25-year-old for the next four to five seasons.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 284&spln=1 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5329&line=226284&spln=1)

Dresden
01-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Wallace has the potential to be as good as he could ever envision himself to be, it's up to him in all reality.

Can and or will that process be hindered by being unfortunate enough to play with and for the type of QB as Roethlisberger and a coordinator such as Arians ? Certainly, but this could be viewed as a positive in the sense that if he could overcome as much it validates his effort and productivity all the more.

Bottom line, he (unlike like others that we've pampered) has at least earned a shot. And at the end of the day,..is that not all any of us really need ?

Slapstick
01-12-2012, 06:30 AM
In the 2nd half of the season, Wallace hindered himself by dropping several very catchable passes. He did it against Denver as well. That is neither on Roethlisberger nor Arians.

steeler_george
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I love Wallace's game! He is still young and developing as we speak. Yes, we all got frustrated looking at his production in the second half of the season, but could it be due to over/under thrown passes, drops, sacks, and penalties that destroyed the plays.

He is a very, very good receiver to have. He opens up the field, keeps DBs on their toes. Decent blocker as well.

I would be cool with having the money crew back, but was just thinking, what if we get more picks to solidify our OL. How much more EFFICIENTwould our offense be, rather than a gambling high rolling big play offense.

I am not saying going back to smash mouth run the ball down your throat offense, but I would love to have a great OL to open the running lanes for our big play backs (Mendy, Redman). How many big runs do you think they could of had if they were not touched in the back field or at the line of scrimmage every time.

Keeping big Ben health and standing will lead to a big play play every time, regardless who the WR is, look at Cedric Wilson. If we are starting the season with Brown, Cochtry, Sanders, Ward, Rookies/FA, I would say that WR core is solid, but not spectacular, as it could of been with Wallace.

Regardless what we do, Wallace is a great asset for this team. He is a key weapon to have going forward on offense, but also a key weapon of the future of the franchise by using him for draft picks to retool our squad.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Mike Wallace: Steelers to place lofty tender on WR Wallace

The Steelers are expected to tender restricted free agent Mike Wallace at the first-round level if the sides can't agree to a long-term contract before free agency begins on March 13.
If another team tried signing Wallace to an offer sheet after he was tendered at the first-round level, the Steelers would receive a first-round pick in return. (As good as Wallace is, few teams would be willing.) Wallace is almost certain to be back with Pittsburgh in 2012. In a perfect world, the Steelers would lock up the 25-year-old for the next four to five seasons.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 284&spln=1 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5329&line=226284&spln=1)

Not that lofty or unexpected. Paying Wallace in the $2-3M range for one season is a great deal whether you believe that he is on his way up or down.

Steveo
01-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Wallace has speed, but I don't see any effort from him. To many times this year he has dropped catchable balls, or refused to fight a defender for a ball. I say get rid of him, and keep Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Hines.

RuthlessBurgher
01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
but it coincides directly with an increase in Brown's production.

Possibly, but Wallace was targeted 113 times this year 13 more than 2010 :?:

He was targeted 13 more times than last year, and had 12 more catches than last year (72 catches in 2011 vs. 60 catches in 2010).

pittpete
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
John: I like the young money trio an all, but when will we get a tall guy with good hands?? It seems like Wallace has the speed but catches mostly with his body and doesn't really fight for the ball. and AB can make good catches but they're not much over 6 feet tall.

Gerry Dulac: Tall guys with good hands are tough to find. I will say again, though, that you are very observant. That is Mike Wallace's problem, and it has reared its ugly head again late in the season. To me, it's the reason they lost the Super Bowl to the Packers. Ben's one interception was because Wallace didn't use his body to shield the defensive back, especially when he had the position. And then Ben threw to him across the middle three straight times on the final series -- all incompletions. Not the receiver you want to target over the middle in traffic. He doesn't make the tough catch.

RD: Gerry, I'm glad to see others skeptical of Wallace. For quite some time I have questioned his ability due to the fact that he never fights or goes up for the ball. Is this something that the coaches are trying to correct?

Gerry Dulac: I hope so. I'll give you an example: In the season finale in Cleveland, Ben tried a deep pass to Wallace in the end zone that got caught in the wind. As a result, the ball was under thrown and never reached Wallace. But, instead of coming back and making the sure the DB didn't catch the ball, Wallace just kind of turned and did nothing. He needs to go fight for the ball, even if he can't catch it.
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ript-11112 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/gerry-dulac-chat/114350-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-11112)

ramblinjim
01-12-2012, 02:21 PM
If we tender him 1st, would we get that teams 1st rounder this year or next? I think it's next. So if we go with the Cleveland argument, we wouldn't get their #4 pick this year, we'd get it next year. Is that the case?

pittpete
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a seven-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

grotonsteel
01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
[quote]John: I like the young money trio an all, but when will we get a tall guy with good hands?? It seems like Wallace has the speed but catches mostly with his body and doesn't really fight for the ball. and AB can make good catches but they're not much over 6 feet tall.

Gerry Dulac: Tall guys with good hands are tough to find. I will say again, though, that you are very observant. That is Mike Wallace's problem, and it has reared its ugly head again late in the season. To me, it's the reason they lost the Super Bowl to the Packers. Ben's one interception was because Wallace didn't use his body to shield the defensive back, especially when he had the position. And then Ben threw to him across the middle three straight times on the final series -- all incompletions. Not the receiver you want to target over the middle in traffic. He doesn't make the tough catch.

RD: Gerry, I'm glad to see others skeptical of Wallace. For quite some time I have questioned his ability due to the fact that he never fights or goes up for the ball. Is this something that the coaches are trying to correct?

Gerry Dulac: I hope so. I'll give you an example: In the season finale in Cleveland, Ben tried a deep pass to Wallace in the end zone that got caught in the wind. As a result, the ball was under thrown and never reached Wallace. But, instead of coming back and making the sure the DB didn't catch the ball, Wallace just kind of turned and did nothing. He needs to go fight for the ball, even if he can't catch it.
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ript-11112 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/gerry-dulac-chat/114350-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-11112)[/quote:2m1nnqgj]

What is more worrying is that he has started dropping catches thrown perfectly to him. He needs to get out of that Young Money stuff.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I also am wondering if there is any truth to the rumor that I read on here that Wallace began pouting with the emergence of AB. If that is true then that has to be addressed somehow by the coaches. If not then I can't see him staying around.

Dee Dub
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
A few weeks ago I would have said yes. Now I'm not so sure. I'm sure about Brown. He is the total package at wr.

But Antonio Brown doesnt get into the END ZONE. Two times over his first 2 years? 85 receptions and only 2 TD's? That is a concern for me.

Mike Wallace on the other had makes it a habit of finding the END ZONE.

And the biggest problem for this Steelers offense lately has been finding the END ZONE.

Dee Dub
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Last two seasons?

Mike Wallace 18 TD receptions and Antonio Brown 2 TD receptions.

Dee Dub
01-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Me personally, I dont care how many "tricks" Wallace has in his arsenal. Bottom line is he scores TD's.....and up until this past year he wasnt even the #2 target on the team.

feltdizz
01-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Nate Washington used to score TD's too... anyone who is sent on fly patterns all day will score some TD's in our offense.

Moving the chains is more important to me because it keeps drives alive...

It's great when Wallace is catching bombs every week but when he isn't... you realize he still needs to work on other parts of his game. This year it looks like if he isn't scoring TD's he loses confidence...

Lebsteel
01-12-2012, 05:03 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":13c75mry]One trick pony. If ball doesn't land in bread basket it is not completed. No thanks. Save big payday for Brown. Tender at highest for Wallace.

Last two seasons?

Mike Wallace 18 TD receptions and Antonio Brown 2 TD receptions.[/quote:13c75mry]
I think that is much more a function of where on the field Brown is being targeted vs. Wallace. Are you saying that if Brown and Wallace both catch the ball at the 10 yard line, Wallace is more likely to get into the end zone?

Brown fights much harder after the catch than Wallace does without a doubt. Personally, I am very tired of seeing Wallace not fight for a ball when defenders are around him. Brown is the type of WR I want on the Steelers. The days of Wallace getting double teamed will soon be over if he continues to drop balls and shy away when a defender is in his face.

feltdizz
01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":cah56yrm]One trick pony. If ball doesn't land in bread basket it is not completed. No thanks. Save big payday for Brown. Tender at highest for Wallace.

Last two seasons?

I think that is much more a function of where on the field Brown is being targeted vs. Wallace. Are you saying that if Brown and Wallace both catch the ball at the 10 yard line, Wallace is more likely to get into the end zone?

Brown fights much harder after the catch than Wallace does without a doubt. Personally, I am very tired of seeing Wallace not fight for a ball when defenders are around him. Brown is the type of WR I want on the Steelers. The days of Wallace getting double teamed will soon be over if he continues to drop balls and shy away when a defender is in his face.[/quote:cah56yrm]

I loved the finger tackle on Wallace.

Here is the thing... Ike said Wallace has no form when running.... arms flying every where etc....

Wallace is fast but that's all he is right now. The guy should be drawing pass INT flags left and right but he thinks this is track and refuses to fight for the ball.

feltdizz
01-12-2012, 05:20 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":3lef4r8u]One trick pony. If ball doesn't land in bread basket it is not completed. No thanks. Save big payday for Brown. Tender at highest for Wallace.

Last two seasons?

Mike Wallace 18 TD receptions and Antonio Brown 2 TD receptions.[/quote:3lef4r8u]

Dub... I remember you predicting Mendenhall being a superstar...

and I remember you predicting Wallace becoming one of the best WR in the NFL...

Can you please stop making these predictions or make some for our opponents because both have fallen on hard times.

j/k :D

Dee Dub
01-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Nate Washington used to score TD's too... anyone who is sent on fly patterns all day will score some TD's in our offense.

Moving the chains is more important to me because it keeps drives alive...

It's great when Wallace is catching bombs every week but when he isn't... you realize he still needs to work on other parts of his game. This year it looks like if he isn't scoring TD's he loses confidence...

Do you ever really listen to what it is you say? Nate Washington scored TD's too? Really? he averaged 4 a year for the Steelers. I would hardly categorize that as scoring TD's.

Yeah Nate Washington who never caught more than 40 passes a year is the same as what Wallace has done (132 receptions the past 2 years).

:roll:

And when you catch 132 over a two year period...it's not all fly patterns.

pittpete
01-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Remember this oldie but goodie topic

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18019 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18019)

Dee Dub
01-12-2012, 07:08 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":16h31bto]One trick pony. If ball doesn't land in bread basket it is not completed. No thanks. Save big payday for Brown. Tender at highest for Wallace.

Last two seasons?

Dub... I remember you predicting Mendenhall being a superstar...

and I remember you predicting Wallace becoming one of the best WR in the NFL...

Can you please stop making these predictions or make some for our opponents because both have fallen on hard times.

j/k :D[/quote:16h31bto]

Funny many around the NFL consider Mike Wallace as one of the best WR in the league.

Saying that someone has a chance to be one of the best in the league isnt a predication.

:idea:

And for the record I never said that about Mendenhall. All I ever said was he was better than Willie Parker and he should start over him right away. See the difference?

NJ-STEELER
01-12-2012, 09:45 PM
he definitley has some areas where he needs to improve

but i'd hardly call him a disappointment. when a guy with his speed gets drafted as late as the 3rd round, you know there will be holes in his game.

even with those holes, the guy has made the pro bowl in just his 2nd year as a starter. teams that draft WRs in the 1st round would kill for that production and his ability to take 2 defenders from the play

what he is actually is the perfect #2 receiver. takes the top off the coverage as a true #1 (with size) works the rest of the field

Chadman
01-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Brown fights much harder after the catch than Wallace does without a doubt. Personally, I am very tired of seeing Wallace not fight for a ball when defenders are around him. Brown is the type of WR I want on the Steelers. The days of Wallace getting double teamed will soon be over if he continues to drop balls and shy away when a defender is in his face.

The day that happens, Wallace will destroy teams.

The no double coverage thing, that is. Not the dropped ball thing.

Lebsteel
01-12-2012, 10:34 PM

The day that happens, Wallace will destroy teams.

The no double coverage thing, that is. Not the dropped ball thing.
Yea thanks for clarifying that one Chad...

So...how much are you going to pay the "destroyer"? What $ figure for a long term contract?

Chadman
01-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Pay him whatever it takes to keep him without damaging the overall strength of the team.

Once the vets are cut, released or unsigned, chances are the Steelers will have the money available to keep the young stars on board.

If nothing else, the FO has shown it knows how to juggle the cap.

steelz09
01-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Pay him whatever it takes to keep him without damaging the overall strength of the team.

Once the vets are cut, released or unsigned, chances are the Steelers will have the money available to keep the young stars on board.

I agree. The Steelers locked up a lot of their big $ players last year. There are a lot of vets that will either be asked to take a major pay cut or be cut ... I think Colbert & Co will put together a solid deal. The ? will be whether Wallace accepts it.

Chadman
01-12-2012, 10:43 PM
The Steelers very rarely lose players they want to keep.

Lebsteel
01-12-2012, 10:45 PM

OK you and I dont have a crystal ball but if he wants top 5 WR money, do you pay it with Brown and maybe even Sanders needing to be resigned in the next two years?

steelz09
01-12-2012, 10:49 PM

OK you and I dont have a crystal ball but if he wants top 5 WR money, do you pay it with Brown and maybe even Sanders needing to be resigned in the next two years?

HELL NO! :) Wallace shouldn't sniff top 5 money... no way, no how

Chadman
01-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Where is everyone getting the idea he's after top 5 WR money?

He'll get paid, and paid well. And when he opens up the field for Brown & Sanders, we'll all think it's worth it.

Unless he drops a catch.

then he'll be a bust.

:stirpot

Lebsteel
01-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Where is everyone getting the idea he's after top 5 WR money?

He'll get paid, and paid well. And when he opens up the field for Brown & Sanders, we'll all think it's worth it.

Unless he drops a catch.

then he'll be a bust.

:stirpot
What? You didnt see he wants top 5 money? It was on the side scroll bar on ESPN! Oh, sorry... :D

Dresden
01-13-2012, 01:19 AM
In the 2nd half of the season, Wallace hindered himself by dropping several very catchable passes. He did it against Denver as well. That is neither on Roethlisberger nor Arians.

M point was that it's up to him (Wallace) to work hard enough to sharpen his game in terms of route running, concentration, timing and overall technique, which along with his God given speed would make him worth the investment.

However,....with a QB like Roethlisberger i do not think ANY receiver could be as effective and or productive as they possibly could be in my honest opinion.