PDA

View Full Version : Arians, LeBeau wll Return Next Season

SteelBucks
01-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Assistants Arians, LeBeau will return next season for Steelers
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Steelers could experience significant roster turnover this offseason.

There will be very little, if any, when it comes to Mike Tomlin's coaching staff.

Both offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will return in 2012.

The two were at Steelers' headquarters yesterday as various players went through exit meetings and interviews with their position coach, as well as Tomlin.

Cornerback Keenan Lewis said LeBeau had a simple message to the players that will take time off before returning to Pittsburgh to start training for the 2012 season.

"He just told us to come back ready to win a Super Bowl," Lewis said.

The Steelers finished first in the NFL this season in scoring defense (14.2 points allowed per game) and total defense (271.8 yards ppg). They were 12th in total offense (372.3 yards per game) and tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 yards per game).

The Steelers had to weather significant injuries on both sides of the ball.

Wilson has surgery

Running backs coach Kirby Wilson, badly burned Friday in a house fire, underwent surgery Monday.

"He's strong enough to go through surgery, so that's always a good thing," Steelers running back Isaac Redman said.

Redman visited Wilson and his family Tuesday at UPMC Mercy Hospital. Wilson has been hospitalized since suffering significant burns on his arms and legs early Friday.

Wilson, who recently completed his fifth year on Tomlin's staff, was injured late last week when a fire started in the kitchen of his Seven Fields townhouse.

Starks 'devastated' by injury

Max Starks sustained a right knee injury last Sunday in Denver, and it sounds as if the mammoth left tackle tore his ACL.

"I know he is devastated going into a free-agency year," guard Trai Essex said of Starks, who turned 30 on Tuesday. "It's unfortunate that he had this happen to him, but I know he will bounce back. He is a warrior."

Starks, an eight-year veteran, will be an unrestricted free agent in March.

He started the Steelers' final 13 games at left tackle after re-signing with the team in early October. The Steelers released Starks in July because of concerns over the salary cap and Starks' weight.

Gay hopes to return

Cornerback William Gay, who won the starting job opposite Ike Taylor early in the season, said the fifth-year veteran hopes to return to the Steelers next season.

Gay, one of the Steelers' most improved players this season, will be an unrestricted free agent at the start of the NFL's new year in March.

"I don't know what Coach Tomlin will do," Gay said, "but I do want to be here."

Gay finished fifth on the Steelers with 61 tackles. He tied for the team lead in interceptions with two.

Brown Q&A

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown will be part of a free online town hall meeting at 6:30 p.m. Thursday on Concert-oh.com.

Brown will participate in a live question-and-answer session online via web cam. Fans can register for free online at the website.

Brown caught 69 passes for 1,108 yards this season. He will play in the Pro Bowl at the end of the month in Hawaii.

Read more: Assistants Arians, LeBeau will return next season for Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburght ... z1j9NIpASB (http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_776008.html#ixzz1j9NIpASB)

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
If this is true, it's ridiculous! I'm sick to my fuggin stomach!! What the hell does Mike Tomlin see in Bruce Arians that he keeps letting this guy hang around in spite of constant offensive mediocrity and ineptitude, even though the Steelers have a ton of offensive weapons? 22nd in scoring? Really? The Dolphins, Jets, Vikings and Bengals all scored more than the Steelers, and the latter two had rookie QBs, and Vikes have no WRs, the Jets have Mark Sanchez and the Dolphins have some no-name guy playing QB. The Steelers have elite weapons and a franchise QB.

I've said it before, if Wes Saunders played in NE, NO, GB, SD, he would've been a monster this year. If Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, JerMicheal Finley played in Pittsburgh, nobody would know who they are, because they'd be blocking FBs, with maybe 2 targets a game at TE position if they're lucky.

Why won't somebody please do us all a favor and make the decision for Tomlin, and offer Arians a HC job? PLEASE??!!!! A bunch of other OCs are being interviewed and hired all over, including the Brian Schottenheimer, who Jets fans kill more that we do Arians. Mike Mularkey just got hired in Jax. Some guys are being offered college gigs. Josh McDaniels literally lasted all of about 10 minutes on the market and was snatched up quick. If Bruce were to be let go, he would be on the market 10 yrs. and still be waiting for a call.

Phil Simms expressed during the game, how shocked he was that Arians is not being considered for any HC positions. That's not shocking Phil, not if you pay attention to the games. The real shock would be if anybody even called to inquire about his availabilty. And after all this time, OC of 2 SB teams, 1 SB winning team and team that has gone 12-4, 3 of the last 4 yrs. Yet, nobody has called. That's says an awful lot about what football people, college and pro, think about Bruce Arians.

AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Rockon

MeetJoeGreene
01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh Crap.

Ugh.

:wft

GRRRRRRRRR....

<signh>

Slapstick
01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
I would imagine that he saw a hobbled QB who suffered a significant injury because he held on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away (not Arians' fault), an offensive line that suffered significant injuries (not Arians' fault) and a #1 WR who petered out the last third of the season and dropped a potentially game changing bomb in the playoff game (again, not Arians' fault).

Do I think Arians' is God's gift to coordinators? No.

Do I blame Mike Tomlin for keeping an OC that has coordinated this team to four playoff berths and two Super Bowls in the last five seasons? No.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm going to make a prediction: The Steelers will NOT win the Super Bowl next season.

I don't see how this team will improve with those two coordinators still at the helm.

Maybe, in the long run, it would have been better if this team had not pulled out those close games vs. the likes of Indy, KC, Cleveland, etc. If we'd missed the playoffs, the Rooneys might have insisted that Tomlin kick some butt or hit the road. I think it's obvious that, in spite of what he says, Mike is all too comfortable with the status quo.

Hope I'm wrong.

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm going to make a prediction: The Steelers will NOT win the Super Bowl next season.

I don't see how this team will improve with those two coordinators still at the helm.

Maybe, in the long run, it would have been better if this team had not pulled out those close games vs. the likes of Indy, KC, Cleveland, etc. If we'd missed the playoffs, the Rooneys might have insisted that Tomlin kick some butt or hit the road. I think it's obvious that, in spite of what he says, Mike is all too comfortable with the status quo.

Hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right.

Rockon

Chadman
01-11-2012, 09:49 AM
I would imagine that he saw a hobbled QB who suffered a significant injury because he held on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away (not Arians' fault), an offensive line that suffered significant injuries (not Arians' fault) and a #1 WR who petered out the last third of the season and dropped a potentially game changing bomb in the playoff game (again, not Arians' fault).

Do I blame Mike Tomlin for keeping an OC that has coordinated this team to four playoff berths and two Super Bowls in the last five seasons? No.

Brother Please! Logic?

No!

Fire Arians! Where's the angry mob?

:lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
01-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Present! :lol:

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Present! :lol:

I'm pretty sure I could be counted as an angry mob all by myself. I'm that disgusted.

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Rockon

Rockon

feltdizz
01-11-2012, 10:07 AM

That's a bold prediciton... 8)

Steelhere10
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Keeping a 74 is more on the dumb , than keeping BA. The game have passed Lebeau by. At the very least BA is complying with the NFL new era while grandpa brings nothing to the game. No exotic blitzes , 10 yd cushion + no adjustments whatsoever. Next we will be hearing that all the old heads will be back for another season also.
But just hoping i guess.... but no where in this article did it say anything about them saying they would return.

SteelTorch
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Am I disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No. If they haven't fired BA by now, I doubt they ever will. I wonder if our success has actually hurt this offense in the long run. If we hadn't won so many games, they probably would have tried to get rid of him a long time ago.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 10:55 AM

First off, our defense is the primary reason for the superbowls and playoff berths just as it was when we had korkie at QB and just as it was when we had tommy freaking maddox at QB. Second, all those excuses you mention were pretty much last quarter of the season issues....what was the excuse for our crap offense the first 3/4 of the year?

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Am I disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No. If they haven't fired BA by now, I doubt they ever will. I wonder if our success has actually hurt this offense in the long run. If we hadn't won so many games, they probably would have tried to get rid of him a long time ago.

I can't understand why this dude gets the autonomy to do things on his terms. It's not like he's guided a Pats or Saints-like offense the last few years. On the contrary, he's lead an offense that has underachieved greatly, but has had one of the best defenses the last 2 decades to lean on, so the team has won, but not because of the offense, but rather often times in spite of it. And they have way too much talent for that to be the case.

Rockon

Steelers&gt;NFL
01-11-2012, 11:13 AM
:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft

Steelgal
01-11-2012, 11:29 AM
As bad as the loss to the Broncos was, I was hoping to get some good news in BA would not return. Honestly am not looking forward to next season now. Another year of playing down to opponents, run-run-pass-punt, bubble screens that never work, 10 yard cushions when it's 3rd and 5 (not offensive related I know), horrible red zone/TD percentages, and not allowing this offense to show it's true potential.

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
At a loss for words, huh, Steelers>NFL?

Rockon

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
As bad as the loss to the Broncos was, I was hoping to get some good news in BA would not return. Honestly am not looking forward to next season now. Another year of playing down to opponents, run-run-pass-punt, bubble screens that never work, 10 yard cushions when it's 3rd and 5 (not offensive related I know), horrible red zone/TD percentages, and not allowing this offense to show it's true potential.

My sentiments exactly! Very well said. How some people fail to see that is completely baffling to me.

Rockon

Steelers&gt;NFL
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Rockon

Not very happy right now. This news ruined my day more than the lost to the Broncos did.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Rockon

Not very happy right now. This news ruined my day more than the lost to the Broncos did.

I agree. After the loss i thought, 'well at least we can fix what ails us now'. Not so. Tomlin is too scared to fully take the reigns. Easier to ride the coattails of the coordinators he was handed.

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 12:15 PM
[quote=rockonsteel]At a loss for words, huh, Steelers>NFL?

Rockon

I agree. After the loss i thought, 'well at least we can fix what ails us now'. Not so. Tomlin is too scared to fully take the reigns. Easier to ride the coattails of the coordinators he was handed.[/quote:1q3mn1be]

Wow, Dead on to both you dudes. I agree 1000% with both posts.

This really is gonna make this offseason even more brutal. The agony of knowing we're gonna see more of the same crap next season really puts a damper on things.

And, yeah this makes me wonder about Tomlin's gumption myself. Status quo, when status quo stinks. This offense is putrid. Where is the urgency to see improvement form this offense? They sure as hell gonna try to sell it this summer, "this is the year the offense is gonna really take off".... :Blah Not as long as the clown is leading the troops. I'm starting to wonder if Tomlin's success is merely the product of LeBeau and Ben.

Rockon

Oviedo
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Look at the positive. THis decision alone will ensure this message board remains viable for the foreseeable future with posters rehashing their favorite complaints over and over about both Arians and LeBeau.

The reality is that this board would have 25% less volume if Arians was gone. That is until the third game for a new offensive coordinator then everything he did would also be second guessed.

Slapstick
01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Look at the positive. THis decision alone will ensure this message board remains viable for the foreseeable future with posters rehashing their favorite complaints over and over about both Arians and LeBeau.

The reality is that this board would have 25% less volume if Arians was gone. That is until the third game for a new offensive coordinator then everything he did would also be second guessed.

:Agree

And the same goes for LeBeau... :stirpot

Oviedo
01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Keeping a 74 is more on the dumb , than keeping BA. The game have passed Lebeau by. At the very least BA is complying with the NFL new era while grandpa brings nothing to the game. No exotic blitzes , 10 yd cushion + no adjustments whatsoever. Next we will be hearing that all the old heads will be back for another season also.
But just hoping i guess.... but no where in this article did it say anything about them saying they would return.

How dare you??? You are bringing into the question the unquestionable!!!! :wink:

I also agree that we will see no changes and roll out the same scheme that beats up and pads the stats on bad teams and loses to Super Bowl caliber teams. Just too much belief on trusting what worked in the past.

Also LeBeau and Arians are probably two of the worst coordinators in the league for making in game adjustments as we saw this past Sunday.

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 12:47 PM

How dare you??? You are bringing into the question the unquestionable!!!! :wink:

I also agree that we will see no changes and roll out the same scheme that beats up and pads the stats on bad teams and loses to Super Bowl caliber teams. Just too much belief on trusting what worked in the past.

Also LeBeau and Arians are probably two of the worst coordinators in the league for making in game adjustments as we saw this past Sunday.

I get your criticisms of Lebeau, and criticisms can be made that Ike should have been given help sooner in the Denver game.

But you can't say that he just relied on the past. We did not see much cover 3, didn't see much of a cushion, and didn't see much blitzing at all against Denver. He completely changed his scheme for Tebow, and Tebow just happened to make throws that he had proven an inability or unwillingness to make previously.

Oviedo
01-11-2012, 12:51 PM

I get your criticisms of Lebeau, and criticisms can be made that Ike should have been given help sooner in the Denver game.

But you can't say that he just relied on the past. We did not see much cover 3, didn't see much of a cushion, and didn't see much blitzing at all against Denver. He completely changed his scheme for Tebow, and Tebow just happened to make throws that he had proven an inability or unwillingness to make previously.

After the second big downfield play the Broncos made a rational person would have provided over the top support for the cornerbacks. LeBeau did nothing except keep pushing the safeties up into the box even in overtime. He went in with his plan and IMO his ego was too great to acknowledge it was the wrong plan and needed changed.

That is LeBeau, and Arians', Achilles Heel and the rest of the league knows it.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 01:02 PM

After the second big downfield play the Broncos made a rational person would have provided over the top support for the cornerbacks. LeBeau did nothing except keep pushing the safeties up into the box even in overtime. He went in with his plan and IMO his ego was too great to acknowledge it was the wrong plan and needed changed.

'Lets crowd the box and force Tebow to throw to beat us!'

'He's beating us coach, he's beating us'

'well he won't continue to beat us'

'He beat us coach'.

Took him how long to figure out you can't give a 10 yard cushion to Tom Brady? 5 years? More? I also find it odd that Lebeau + Ray Horton = The secondary sucks and young secondary members may become half decent AFTER their rookie contracts are up. Lebeau + Carnell Lake and suddenly William Gay is a solid NFL corner and rookies are invaluable contributors.

Are the Steelers all about being totally hands off from top to bottom? Tomlin lets his coordinators do their thing and create gameplans and doesn't give much input. The coordinators let their coaches coach the position players without much input in fixing trouble spots? How else can you explain we have a HC that was a former DB and DC, a DC that is a HOF CB and DC, and our secondary still sucks until Ray Horton, the DB coach leaves and Carnell is hired and suddenly its like night and day....

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 01:04 PM

You're essentially saying that Lebeau failed to make an in game adjustment. And, yes, that is a legit discussion for this game.

But he didn't just stick with the routine scheme going into the game. Arians, on the other hand, remained commited to whatever his scheme is. Hobbled QB with protection problems? No problem -- we'll still go 5 wide on second and 3.

RKSteel
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM

You're essentially saying that Lebeau failed to make an in game adjustment. And, yes, that is a legit discussion for this game.

But he didn't just stick with the routine scheme going into the game. Arians, on the other hand, remained commited to whatever his scheme is. Hobbled QB with protection problems? No problem -- we'll still go 5 wide on second and 3.
That is my biggest issue. When Redman is avg at least 4-5 yds a carry, why are the Steelers throwing 45x? Bronco's couldn't stop Redman. Steelers could have run the ball 25-30x in the game and maybe given their depleted d-line a break.

Jigawatts
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM

The bubble screen makes me want to vomit. Running the same bubble screen 4 times a
game makes me want to vomit some more.

Steelers&gt;NFL
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM

The bubble screen makes me want to vomit. Running the same bubble screen 4 times a
game makes me want to vomit some more.

As I mentioned before, watching the Steeler's inept offense is like getting a colonoscopy!
Well, the treatments continues next season...

ikestops85
01-11-2012, 04:15 PM

I think I've asked this before and never gotten an answer so I will try again. What defenses have done better over the last 5 years than the LeBeau led Steelers D? Lets see how many you can name. I would think you could easily come up with 16 or so since the game has passed DL by and he can't make correct adjustments during the game.

pittpete
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Yeeehaaaaaa, another year of wr screens,5 WR formations and 30 yd routes
Ben, make sure your Health Care premium is paid up :roll:

papillon
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I continue to read about "all this offensive talent" the Steelers have and there's no reason that Bruce Arians shouldn't have this team in the top 10 offenses in the league. I still don't believe that the talent is there on this offense.

Quarterback - Given, Ben is a top 1-7 quarterback in this league (depending on you rank them, but I doubt anyone would put him lower than 7) Ben is a pro-bowl quarterback.

Running Back - As of right now, Mendy is an average back with outstanding skills that haven't matured, too much indecision in the hole and lack of yards after contact. Redman gets yards after contact and is decisive and has good vision, but he lacks the burst and receiving ability of Mendy. Clay, Batch and Dwyer are unproven. No pro-bowlers here.

Wide Receiver - Ward is done as a threat. Wallace looked to be the real deal, but has fallen way off the second half of this season. Antonio Brown is a complete receiver and an excellent kick returner. Cothery is a solid veteran, but nothing special and Sanders is unproven due to injury (We may have seen a glimpse against Denver). No pro-bowlers here, Brown is the closest.

Tight Ends - Heath may be the best all around TE in the league, unfortunately, most TEs aren't blocking any longer, the Gonkowskis and Grahams have taken over. Heath is a reliable, but slow target. Saunders has great upside, but is rarely used by Ben or the offense. No pro-bowlers here based on the way today's TEs are being evaluated.

Offensive line - I'll lump them all together and say that if it weren't for Pouncey the Steelers O-line would be average at best. Pouncey is arguably the best center in the game when healthy (this may become a big "if"), the others probably aren't in the top half of the league at their position. Pouncey is a pro-bowler

That's it folks, I think as Steeler fans we believe we have greater talent than is actually put out there game after game. If it weren't for Ben the Steelers would be even worse than 22nd in total offense. Personally, I think Arians has taken the offense out of the dark ages and into the 21st century with nice talent, but not great talent. He does make me scratch my head once in awhile, but over all I'd like to see the offense stay relatively healthy without having to juggle offensive linemen week after week and see where it goes.

Arians isn't the major problem (IMO), injuries and average talent are the problems. Maybe another coordinator could get more out of these guys, but I doubt it, because the stupid penalties would still be there and the missed assignments would still be there. Arians can stay or go, I have no preference, but, I don't see him as the biggest obstacle to a successful Steeler offense.

Pappy

SteelTorch
01-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Every year, some clown runs his mouth saying "D1ck Lebeau is done, he's been figured out, blah blah blah..."

Yet every year, DL and his defense continue to dominate the league, even despite injuries and certain players not playing up to expectations. This year was no exception. Yet people are STILL calling for him to leave.

Yes, that last play against Denver was really boneheaded. Yes, it cost us the run into the playoffs, but without DL and his defense, there is NO playoffs. We sure as hell can't rely on the offense to carry the team. Lebeau isn't perfect, yes he's stubborn, and yes he's made bad calls. Every coach does. But he's won us faaaar more games than he has cost us - and he has results to back him up. BA can't say the same thing.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Pap,
You are basing your evaluations of our players based on what you have seen them accomplish within our crappy offensive system. They can only do what the system calls for them to do. Does New England have a better corp of WR's? Do they have a better stable of RB's? I'll give you they have better TE's 'in their system' but Gronkowski would get only 2 or 3 looks a game in our system.

papillon
01-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Pap,
You are basing your evaluations of our players based on what you have seen them accomplish within our crappy offensive system. They can only do what the system calls for them to do. Does New England have a better corp of WR's? Do they have a better stable of RB's? I'll give you they have better TE's 'in their system' but Gronkowski would get only 2 or 3 looks a game in our system.

The results tell me they have better talent top to bottom and including the offensive line. I don't know enough about an offensive system to say whether or not the Steelers is crappy or not. I personally don't think the system is crappy; I think the talent is only average at best over all. Even comparing Ben to Tom Brady you have to give an edge to Brady, but it's true. That doesn't mean Ben stinks (not even remotely), but I believe Brady takes what's given to him and could make the Steeler offense more consistent and that's what Ben doesn't do. He loves the big chunk of yardage.

Brady would not be sacked 30+ times in the Steeler offense, he just wouldn't, because, he'd throw it away and live to fight another play. Ben never gives up on a play. Have you ever heard yourself yelling, throw the d@mn ball, throw the d@mn ball after 4 or 5 seconds of looking around? Of course you have, that's Ben and I love it, but it makes the offense inconsistent at times.

So, to answer your question, yes, I believe the Patriots have better offensive talent than the Steelers from top to bottom.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Pap,

The results tell me they have better talent top to bottom and including the offensive line. I don't know enough about an offensive system to say whether or not the Steelers is crappy or not. I personally don't think the system is crappy; I think the talent is only average at best over all. Even comparing Ben to Tom Brady you have to give an edge to Brady, but it's true. That doesn't mean Ben stinks (not even remotely), but I believe Brady takes what's given to him and could make the Steeler offense more consistent and that's what Ben doesn't do. He loves the big chunk of yardage.

Brady would not be sacked 30+ times in the Steeler offense, he just wouldn't, because, he'd throw it away and live to fight another play. Ben never gives up on a play. Have you ever heard yourself yelling, throw the d@mn ball, throw the d@mn ball after 4 or 5 seconds of looking around? Of course you have, that's Ben and I love it, but it makes the offense inconsistent at times.

So, to answer your question, yes, I believe the Patriots have better offensive talent than the Steelers from top to bottom.

Pappy

I think the system is crappy, and the line is the big difference maker.

Oviedo
01-11-2012, 05:24 PM

That is my biggest issue. When Redman is avg at least 4-5 yds a carry, why are the Steelers throwing 45x? Bronco's couldn't stop Redman. Steelers could have run the ball 25-30x in the game and maybe given their depleted d-line a break.[/quote]

That would have been interesting because remember just the week before they said he got tired late and he had two fumbles late. I'm sure that was in the back of their minds somewhat. Also remember that we were essentially down to one RB with two completely unproven rookies as the only back ups. Anyone really wnat them in the game if Redman got hurt????

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM

That is my biggest issue. When Redman is avg at least 4-5 yds a carry, why are the Steelers throwing 45x? Bronco's couldn't stop Redman. Steelers could have run the ball 25-30x in the game and maybe given their depleted d-line a break.

That would have been interesting because remember just the week before they said he got tired late and he had two fumbles late. I'm sure that was in the back of their minds somewhat. Also remember that we were essentially down to one RB with two completely unproven rookies as the only back ups. Anyone really wnat them in the game if Redman got hurt????[/quote]

Valid point for limiting the carries, but on 2nd and 3, even if you have no intention of running the ball, I'd like to see somebody in the game at the RB position, even if they are there to merely serve as a decoy.

Starlifter
01-11-2012, 05:55 PM
since 2005 Ben, Hines and Heath have been the constants on the offense. rarely hurt, rarely miss games. every other position has seen turnover.

If you go with the logic our average performance on offense is player based - then the fault must lie with those that have been there every game.

If you go with the logic our average performance on offense isn't player based - then you gotta go with the lone remaining constant. arians.

If you go with the logic that injuries and turnover of personnel is to blame - then there's nothing that can be done as that will always be a problem.

Chadman
01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Chadman tries to not get caught up in the hysteria surrounding Arians too much.

In Chadman's opinion, this is the issues on Offense-

1. The OL does not CONSISTANTLY block well enough, particularly in the run game. This is even more evident as the field shortens & you find more defenders around 'the box'. This, in Chadman's opinion, is the RZ biggest issue.

2. Too much emphasis on 'big plays'. This should be directed at both Arians & Ben- they rarely take the safe option if there is a 'chance' that the 50 yard bomb could work.

3. Poor drafting of OL talent. There's obviously been a problem for a while, yet so few changes have been made to rectify the situation.

If those 3 issues are fixed, the running game becomes more effective. If the running game becomes more effective- you score more in the RZ. If the running game is effective, you reduce coverage on your WR's. If the coverage on the WR's is lessened, Wallace & Brown get deep more often. If they get deep more often, the soft underneath zones open up for Miller, Saunders & Sanders.

Chadman's biggest critisism's of Arians are his reliance on going for the big play (but this MUST be shared with Ben) & probably the bigger issue- he won't adjust his playcalling or play design to compensate for terrible OL blocking. THAT is his biggest issue. If the OL plays up to a reasonable standard, if the running game can become a consistant threat, then Chadman suspects Arians system is actually fine.

LeBeau on the other hand- Chadman believes that age & production drop-off have been the biggest issues there. The Defense just hasn't upgraded with young, fast guys quick enough, and now we see a team filled with greybeards that are just that step too slow to create 'big plays'. Defense now is all about 'big plays'- Turnovers, sacks, tackles for loss- anything that takes the Opposition Offense off the field. They've been in a steady decline for a few years, in Chadman's opinion. This might be more difficult in the short term to fix, but a few young bodies entering the starting line-up might help. In fact, Chadman suspects if the Steelers are ruthless enough & remove Aaron Smith, Farrior, Foote & start fazing out Hampton, Clark & Harrison...you might find that LeBeau's defence gets better, faster, as he will be forced to use younger, fitter, faster athletes.

feltdizz
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Pap hit the nail on the head.

The constant is Ben. I know you guys don't want to admit it but Ben isn't a onsistent QB. He is clutch but he goes cold for stretches every year and doesn't hit his stride until the playoffs.

The only way to get Miller more touches is to make sure he is the deepest option or stress him as the primary WR because if there is a deeper option Ben is going to take it or sacrafice a small gain most of the time.

I'm not a fan of BA's preference but I think Redman as the primary back will help the OL and Ben.

I'm excited to see how our offense will look with 3 young healthy WR's.

Not siure how the O isn't player based. Its all about the players and while we have some splash players it isn't like they are all 1st rd picks. We tend to find studs in late rounds who play better than fans expectations.

rockonsteel
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm excited to see how our offense will look with 3 young healthy WR's.

It's hard to be excited about anything regarding this offense so long as the resident genius/village idiot is calling the shots.

Rockon

Dee Dub
01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
The thing that cracks me up with the Arians Haters is the fact that they dont seem to understand that Ben Roethlisberger loves Arians as the coordinator. When your star QB is happy with the offensive coordinator and you have invested over $100 million dollars into this star QB, that coordinator isnt going anywhere. Let it go.

brothervad
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I am not an Arians fan. Seen enough of his work throughout the years to know it's limitations and it's shortcomings.

The idea that the game has passed D. Lebeau by is ludicrous IMO.

I have watched this year and have come to the realization it's the lack of talent on Defense that has limited the Steelers this year not D.L.

Fact is, being number 1 with what is on the shelf is amazing and a credit to him.

D.L.'s defensive scheme has been predicated on the trenches breaking down gap integrity.

The D.L. has been slowly degrading over the past 3 seasons. I would suggest looking at the decreasing amount of exotic blitzes over the last 2 seasons as an indication of that degradation.

In addition, the CB blitz has all but dissappeared from the repertoire of DL. Why is this? Could it be that effectively the age/slowness of some of our LB's coupled with our DL's diminishing capacity reduced the ability for DL to call some of those CB blitzes?

I suggest to you that there is more to this than the game "passing by" DL.

I suggest he doesn't have the flexibility to be as creative as when the D was in it's prime.

brothervad

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I almost puked when I heard Arians will be back. Not only do we have a horrible offensive cordinator it is now confirmed that, we have a stupid head coach.

DukieBoy
01-11-2012, 08:23 PM

True that our Defense gave up 17 points in the 2nd Qtr to the Broncos. But the D got no help from the offense in the 2nd Qtr, when our offense went three and out, two and INT, 6 and out, and 5 and out, with 4:55 time of possession for the Qtr.

I, too, hoped for a change of offensive coordinator. Well, he's ours now, so I'll root for him to have a great year for us.

DukieBoy
01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Every year, some clown runs his mouth saying "D1ck Lebeau is done, he's been figured out, blah blah blah..."

Yet every year, DL and his defense continue to dominate the league, even despite injuries and certain players not playing up to expectations. This year was no exception. Yet people are STILL calling for him to leave.

Yes, that last play against Denver was really boneheaded. Yes, it cost us the run into the playoffs, but without DL and his defense, there is NO playoffs. We sure as hell can't rely on the offense to carry the team. Lebeau isn't perfect, yes he's stubborn, and yes he's made bad calls. Every coach does. But he's won us faaaar more games than he has cost us - and he has results to back him up. BA can't say the same thing.

The D only gave up 3 points in the 2nd half of the Broncos game. Good adjustments for a decimated D. They were blitzed in the 2nd Qtr for 17, when they got no Time of Possession relief from the O. The OT play call and execution by the Broncos was masterful. The cover zero was not.

Overall, Lebeau has done great work with this defense over the years, and I expect we'll see more good from Lebeau's defenses.

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Dukieboy I love your positive spirit but, you can't fix stupid.

DukieBoy
01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Dukieboy I love your positive spirit but, you can't fix stupid.

Agree with that wisdom, fezz. Also can't fix what I can't control, so I have only my own response to manage.

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Does anyone have any opinion on why, they wouldn't consider a new OC ?

pittpete
01-11-2012, 09:16 PM
B E N

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I know Ben is one answer but I thought maybe because, Tomlin is too stupid to understand what an offense should perform like especially, with the talent that we have or that Tomlin is just a coward and affraid to get rid of Arians.
There's a Bruce Arians Sucks thread on Facebook that, I might vent about. Maybe Brucey boy will read my words because, I'd love to tell him off had I ever given the chance.
Not only do you guys have to endure my hate for Arians, put on your asbestos shorts because Tomlin is now headed into the fire of my rants.
Tomlin is a joke of a head coach. That's one rant.

SteelTorch
01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
B E N
^^^ This. Ben is our franchise QB. They want him happy. Plus, we went 12-4 and made the playoffs. Why would they want to make a drastic coaching adjustment?

Also, I love Tomlin, but I seriously gotta question his judgement in keeping BA around IF it's his call. Is it really up to Tomlin though?? Or is this the front office?

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
B E N
^^^ This. Ben is our franchise QB. They want him happy. Plus, we went 12-4 and made the playoffs. Why would they want to make a drastic coaching adjustment?

Also, I love Tomlin, but I seriously gotta question his judgement in keeping BA around IF it's his call. Is it really up to Tomlin though?? Or is this the front office?

Cowher didn't seem to have any problems getting rid of coaches. I could be wrong but, I thought he couldn't boot Shermans out quick enough and then there was Erhardt. Cowher made no bones about it that, Erhardt was in Cowhers doghouse for not having a more productive or point scoring offense.

Steelhere10
01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
This defense was a top 10 before Lebeau and will be long after. Because this team put their money and drafts on defense. So keep thinking it's Lebeau BUT it's not.
Bad strategy on defense cost us three games 49ers, 2nd Ravens game and Broncos.
On Tunlch show they both agree that this offense is a failure because our 100mill dollar Qb refuse to go short and said that the Colts run the same offense and the only difference is that their Qb know how to get the ball out of his hands.

Steelhere10
01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
So in short Ben maybe the biggest problem. And once he adjust his game the Of will take off.

Steelhere10
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Another question? Why was Lebeau a failure with the Bengals on defense, when he coached there.
I know the answer... Because the Bengals priority wasn't defense like the
Steelers is and he is not as great as some make him out to be.

Chadman
01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
A couple of things-

Ben is certainly partially responsible for the Offensive failures. Too much reliance on the 'big play' & not enough use of the safe plays. Maybe Antonio Brown might help that situation if Ben starts to use him more often. But the last couple of years, it seems Ben's top priority is to let Wallace go deep & then throw it somewhere around where Wallace is headed- looks great when it comes off, but doesn't lead to a consistant gameplan.

That said, good OL play will make the whole offense look that much better. The weapons are in place- now they just need the time to be used.

If Manny Sanders can stay fit- Chadman predicts something of a break-out season for him as the #3 WR next season.

Lastly- one potential reason LeBeau & Arians are sticking around- there will be some rather significant upheavel on the roster due to salary & aging players. Some level of consistancy for the team could be a big benefit. At least this way, young players being asked to step up are not being asked to try and raise their level of play to starter material as well as learn a new playbook at the same time.

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
To me Ben and Arians could slice and dice the ball down field if they wanted to and every once in a while if the opportunity presents itself Ben can then torch a defense with the big pass. They could also establish some running plays to keep the defenses honest but no..............They go for the big sob-ching bomb passes.
We don't have a redzone offense because they put no stock in the redzone.

hawaiiansteel
01-11-2012, 10:16 PM
D!ck Lebeau will return as Steelers defensive coordinator

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 11, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/d-lebeaupushup.jpg?w=250

The Steelers defense may be getting old, but they are going to suddenly get younger at defensive coordinator.

D!ck Lebeau will return to Pittsburgh as defensive coordinator, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he wanted Lebeau and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians back. Thereís no reason to think Arians is leaving, but it hasnít been confirmed yet.

Lebeauís defense finished first in points allowed and has been the Steelers defensive coordinator since 2004, his second tour of duty with the team.

Lebeau will turn 75 years old to start next season and is year-to-year at this point in terms of when he wants to retire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/11/dick-lebeau-will-return-as-steelers-defensive-coordinator/)

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I hope between all the choices idiot Tomlin makes for this new season one of them would be, have someone in his ear at all times to remind him how to watch the clock and call the needed timeouts. Also, someone to tell him when to and when not to throw the red flag.

fordfixer
01-12-2012, 01:07 AM

Brother Please! Logic?

No!

http://www.foodclubsandcoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/angry-mob.bmp

rockonsteel
01-12-2012, 01:49 AM

Brother Please! Logic?

No!

That's me in the hat!

Rockon

fordfixer
01-12-2012, 02:13 AM

Brother Please! Logic?

No!

That's me in the hat!

Rockon
The one with the club or the torch? :lol:

Dresden
01-12-2012, 02:50 AM
Give Coach Lebeau players that not only actually fit our scheme but were actually exceptionally productive football players at the collegiate level whom posses the wherewithal to express their talent with discipline,.. and we hands down have very few problems on the defensive front. The Man ( Coach Lebeau) knows his craft. Problem solved. So easy Roethlisberger could do it.

As far as Arians,...i cannot really argue on his behalf. Our current offensive roster fits his personal ideal in terms of personnel in most part, and yet we still struggle to be within the top 12 in offense and one of the worst in scoring EVERY single season that he's been here,....

rockonsteel
01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Brother Please! Logic?

No!

That's me in the hat!

Rockon
The one with the club or the torch? :lol:

The torch of course! After all, we are trying to FIRE his a$$!! :lol:

Rockon

rockonsteel
01-12-2012, 08:58 AM
As far as Arians,...i cannot really argue on his behalf. Our current offensive roster fits his personal ideal in terms of personnel in most part, and yet we still struggle to be within the top 12 in offense and one of the worst in scoring EVERY single season that he's been here,....

Yup, and it's gonna be a lonngggggg offseason knowing we have more of that crap to look forward to next season. :HeadBanger

Rockon

BradshawsHairdresser
01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
If Arians is going to remain as our OC, then the Steelers need to hire a special "red zone assistant" to take over play-calling in the red zone.

feltdizz
01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
So in short Ben maybe the biggest problem. And once he adjust his game the Of will take off.

That makes too much sense.

ikestops85
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
What I would like to find out is Arians explanation on why the offense is so inconsistent. Also, his explanation on why we have such problems in the red zone. To be honest we have a good offense between the 20s. We just can't put the ball in the endzone from in close. I really think Redman would be a big help with that but I'm just a stupid fan playing Monday mornig QB. 8)

Oviedo
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Give Coach Lebeau players that not only actually fit our scheme but were actually exceptionally productive football players at the collegiate level whom posses the wherewithal to express their talent with discipline,.. and we hands down have very few problems on the defensive front. The Man ( Coach Lebeau) knows his craft. Problem solved. So easy Roethlisberger could do it.

LeBeau has been given the lions share of the resources in terms of players. Look at every major signing we have done recently and they have all been on the defensive side of the football. Look at the salary distribution on the team top to bottom and you will see we spend the money on the defensive side of the ball.

Every major defensive signing means that is money that can't go to fix the OL.

The reality is both Arians and LeBeau have underperformed with what they have.

feltdizz
01-12-2012, 01:25 PM

LeBeau has been given the lions share of the resources in terms of players. Look at every major signing we have done recently and they have all been on the defensive side of the football. Look at the salary distribution on the team top to bottom and you will see we spend the money on the defensive side of the ball.

Every major defensive signing means that is money that can't go to fix the OL.

When you look at the OL I think one can say BA has done pretty well but no one will admit that. We did get Sweed but that was a bust... but you can't say Arians didn't put him in a position to be a star. Sweed had money and fame on his fingertips and blew it.

BA's biggest problem is loving Mend when the OL is built for Redman...

We have an undrafted RB... Moore and a few other late rounders at RB.

We have a 6th rounder as our best WR... and Sanders has been hurt, Wallace was in a funk and Hines is getting old...

We lost our best back up QB, half our OL who sucks anyway and our center still has issues with his ankle.

Our TE, Miller is still good but even he had fumbles and drops this year...

but somehow our OC is supposed to get top 5 production with this bunch?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
What I would like to find out is Arians explanation on why the offense is so inconsistent. Also, his explanation on why we have such problems in the red zone. To be honest we have a good offense between the 20s. We just can't put the ball in the endzone from in close. I really think Redman would be a big help with that but I'm just a stupid fan playing Monday mornig QB. 8)

Everything I have seen when he is asked about it he blames execution for the crappy redzone results the past 5 seasons.

Regarding the OL being a big factor, which i agree it is, doesn't he have a lot of input into who we draft for the offensive side of the ball....what we need, etc? Seems to me we dropped a first round pick on a RB, lots of picks on TE's and WR's over the years, but most the OL picks have either tanked, or have been mediocre when forced to start.

ikestops85
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Everything I have seen when he is asked about it he blames execution for the crappy redzone results the past 5 seasons.

Regarding the OL being a big factor, which i agree it is, doesn't he have a lot of input into who we draft for the offensive side of the ball....what we need, etc? Seems to me we dropped a first round pick on a RB, lots of picks on TE's and WR's over the years, but most the OL picks have either tanked, or have been mediocre when forced to start.

Except for Keith Urbik who seems to be doing very well in buffalo. :stirpot

DukieBoy
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Except for Keith Urbik who seems to be doing very well in buffalo. :stirpot

Must be Kraig's brother. :wink:

rockonsteel
01-12-2012, 07:57 PM
We have a 6th rounder as our best WR... and Sanders has been hurt, Wallace was in a funk and Hines is getting old...

but somehow our OC is supposed to get top 5 production with this bunch?

Ummmm, not for nothing, but I think Belichick and Weiss and McDaniel and O'Brien have gotten top 5 production out of a particular 6th rounder. Then they got production from a guy who hadn't played since high school. And by production, I mean POINTS.

The Packers had massive injuries last year, but they still whupped our ass in the Bowl. They also had a bunch of O-line injuries this year, and kept right on rolling.
They also lost Greg Jennings, yet their BACKUP QB, goes out and throws for damn near 500 yds and 6 tds. and score 45 pts.

It takes the Steelers offense 3 games to score 6 tds. And that's if they're hot. Way too many 13, 16 pt. games for the talent on this offense, and that was against a bunch of bad teams no less.

Sean Payton conducts a high flying offense down in the Big Easy,(as in making scoring tds look easy), a 5,000 yd QB, and average 30+ ppg, yet they manage to get top 5 production from their running game where they average about 160 rushing.

If somebody came on here and pronounced that Baltimore Ravens had a better offense than the Steelers they would get roasted. The sad truth is, the Ravens scored 3.5 ppg more than the Steelers with their "inferior" offense. People think Cameron is dumber/worse than BA and that Flacco is the second coming of Kyle Boller. Yet, somehow, they and a bunch of other teams have easier times putting the ball in the end zone than the Steelers.

Point being, for the excuses people keep making for Airhead, other teams seem to overcome these same obstacles and keep it rolling. They seem to find ways to maximize their talent.

The Steelers offense has been mediocre since BA has taken it over, and yes we've won a Sb and been to another. We all know that was on the backs of the defense, whether some will admit it or not. They keep adding weapons and getting the same result. That should be more telling than anything.

Rockon

SteelTorch
01-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Lebeau's defense ranked number one in points allowed and against the past this season, even despite injuries and aging players. Yeah, he's really underperformed. :roll:

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sounded right there??