PDA

View Full Version : GAME BALLS: '11 Season Recap

SteelTorch
01-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Rather than a recap of the game (which has been talked about endlessly by now), I'm going for who stood out this past season. I purposely waited a couple days to avoid the fallout of the (admittedly disappointing) loss. Now...

OFFENSE:

Ben Roethlisberger - Sure he didn't play well at times, but I thought he did amazingly given the circumstances. He played behind a porous O-line, often had no help from the running game, and played hurt in several games. Say what you want about his personality, but there's no question he's a heck of a football player.

Antonio Brown - the guy really stepped it up this season. He'll be a great receiver for us for years to come. For the first time in a loong time, I was not worried about losing Hines Ward this season.

Max Starks - shouldn't have been cut to begin with, IMO. But he filled in a dire need when he returned.

Isaac Redman - again, really stepped it up. In fact, he has made a strong case to be starting ahead of Mendenhall. Plus, he's much better suited for Arians' favorite RUTFM philosophy. Sorry Mendy, I like you as a player, but you're a better outside runner.

DEFENSE:

Troy Polamalu - Even though our defense did well, Troy P was one of the few who stood out this season.

Ike Taylor - Yes, I'll say it. Sure he picked the WORST time to forget how to tackle in Denver, but he was a great CB this past season.

Ryan Clark - the guy lead our team in tackles (to my surprise).

Hood/Heyward - those two will be a great combo in the future. I can safely say that Aaron Smith's loss will not hamper this team in the future.

LAME BALLS:

Kemo. There's no way this guy is around next season, unless the line needs bodies (which they may).

Bruce Arians. Already said enough about this clown.

The linebackers. I hate to say it, cause they too were hindered by injuries, but they were for the most part a non-factor this season. All the splash plays we got used to seeing were nowhere to be found.

All in all though, a great season, guys. The team did better than I had expected after the way the season started out! Yeah, the post season was a crushing loss, but you can't expect a SB every year. As always, we'll give the league a run for their money next year! GO STILLERS!!!! :tt2

NW Steeler
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Despite the sack numbers from Harrison and Woodley, our LB play fell off the cliff this year.

grotonsteel
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Rather than a recap of the game (which has been talked about endlessly by now), I'm going for who stood out this past season. I purposely waited a couple days to avoid the fallout of the (admittedly disappointing) loss. Now...

OFFENSE:

Ben Roethlisberger - Sure he didn't play well at times, but I thought he did amazingly given the circumstances. He played behind a porous O-line, often had no help from the running game, and played hurt in several games. Say what you want about his personality, but there's no question he's a heck of a football player.

Antonio Brown - the guy really stepped it up this season. He'll be a great receiver for us for years to come. For the first time in a loong time, I was not worried about losing Hines Ward this season.

Max Starks - shouldn't have been cut to begin with, IMO. But he filled in a dire need when he returned.

Isaac Redman - again, really stepped it up. In fact, he has made a strong case to be starting ahead of Mendenhall. Plus, he's much better suited for Arians' favorite RUTFM philosophy. Sorry Mendy, I like you as a player, but you're a better outside runner.

DEFENSE:

Troy Polamalu - Even though our defense did well, Troy P was one of the few who stood out this season.

Ike Taylor - Yes, I'll say it. Sure he picked the WORST time to forget how to tackle in Denver, but he was a great CB this past season.

Ryan Clark - the guy lead our team in tackles (to my surprise).

Hood/Heyward - those two will be a great combo in the future. I can safely say that Aaron Smith's loss will not hamper this team in the future.

LAME BALLS:

Kemo. There's no way this guy is around next season, unless the line needs bodies (which they may).

Bruce Arians. Already said enough about this clown.

The linebackers. I hate to say it, cause they too were hindered by injuries, but they were for the most part a non-factor this season. All the splash plays we got used to seeing were nowhere to be found.

All in all though, a great season, guys. The team did better than I had expected after the way the season started out! Yeah, the post season was a crushing loss, but you can't expect a SB every year. As always, we'll give the league a run for their money next year! GO STILLERS!!!! :tt2

:Agree

:tt2

phillyesq
01-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I would have completely agreed with a Lame for Kemo up until the Denver game. He played probably his best game of the year against the Broncos.

I still think he's gone in the offseason, and his play during the regular season was abysmal, but I'll give him credit for a solid outing against the Broncos.

pittpete
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I would have completely agreed with a Lame for Kemo up until the Denver game. He played probably his best game of the year against the Broncos.

I would seriously have to disagree with this statement.
Now you can spin it and say he didnt play well but it was HIS best game but on an O-line that was consistently allowing pressure with a 3 man rush, BEST should never be mentioned.
Go back to the last drive and watch Kemo again then come back and tell me what u saw.
I'd like to know. :wink:

winwithd
01-10-2012, 11:29 PM
I would disagree about Max Starks. He DID need to be cut. He was fat and out of shape and cutting him woke him up and made him decide to work his way back into playing shape.

My votes -
Offense: AB
Defense: Carnell Lake
ST: Curtis Brown

Discipline of Steel
01-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Despite the sack numbers from Harrison and Woodley, our LB play fell off the cliff this year.

I dont know if yoou can say that. Despite the lack of splash plays, the D was still #1 over the season. I think they were forced to play more team ball.

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 08:36 AM

I would seriously have to disagree with this statement.
Now you can spin it and say he didnt play well but it was HIS best game but on an O-line that was consistently allowing pressure with a 3 man rush, BEST should never be mentioned.
Go back to the last drive and watch Kemo again then come back and tell me what u saw.
I'd like to know. :wink:

I should have mentioned, in my initial post, that I generally agree with the rest of the list - nice job!

As for the last drive, I'll admit that I did not watch Kemo closely, and he may well have been (and likely was) just as bad as the rest of the line. He did, however, make a great block on Redman's near TD run, and he made a full nice blocks that I saw in the running game.

So I probably should have rephrased -- Kemo made a few nice blocks, but otherwise, deserves his Lame. As I look at it, that seems more accurate. :lol:

Jigawatts
01-11-2012, 09:12 AM
[quote="NW Steeler":3sfuwhqn]Despite the sack numbers from Harrison and Woodley, our LB play fell off the cliff this year.

I dont know if yoou can say that. Despite the lack of splash plays, the D was still #1 over the season. I think they were forced to play more team ball.[/quote:3sfuwhqn]

The problem with the D is that they didn't make the splash plays that we're accustomed to.
In the past when the other team is driving you just knew that somehow someone would
make a play. That didn't happen this year.

The only play I can think of off hand was Harrisons sack/fumble and Troys TD. That was
against a Colts team that had no business keeping the score that close.

jj28west
01-11-2012, 08:00 PM
The rookies Brown and Allen on special teams and nickel.

Kapinos for beautiful situational punting and distance.

Carnell Lake