PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark's absence crushed us, imo

RussBII
01-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Does anyone else thing the loss of Ryan Clark was a pretty big factor here? Mundy forced two fumbles, but he also didn't bother to check out of a run blitz. I think Clark would've bailed on the run a bit more often and offered a little more help over the top.

Not looking for excuses here, we got beat. Nuff said.

Eich
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't think it was a major factor if one at all. Ryan Clark is a good hitter/tackler but most comments on here are that he isn't all that great in coverage. I agree.

And on that first/last play in OT, Clark doesn't have the speed to make a difference. And was it really Mundy's decision to stick with the run and ignore the pass or was that the call made by the coordinator? I think the latter.

Finally, I thought Ike Taylor prided himself on being a speedster. But after the stiff arm, he seemed to give up. The game is on the line in a single play and you don't even make a diving attempt?

RussBII
01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't think he's that good in coverage either. But he is good enough to back out of a run blitz and stay a little bit deep if he sees a pass coming. That catch would've happened right in front of him and he could've whiffed the tackle, sure, but even if he just slows him down a bit, he's tackled.

I think that was the case on most of the big plays.

Eich
01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't think he's that good in coverage either. But he is good enough to back out of a run blitz and stay a little bit deep if he sees a pass coming. That catch would've happened right in front of him and he could've whiffed the tackle, sure, but even if he just slows him down a bit, he's tackled.

I think that was the case on most of the big plays.

Maybe Clark would have instinctively done some things differently, despite the game that Lebeau called. We'll never know for sure. But it seems certain that Lebeau didn't adjust properly to not having Clark in there.

All career long, Lebeau did everyting to "keep things in front of them". But with the playoffs on the line, against a team that was hitting long balls, no one was back there by design?

Steelers>NFL
01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't think it was a major factor if one at all. Ryan Clark is a good hitter/tackler but most comments on here are that he isn't all that great in coverage. I agree.

And on that first/last play in OT, Clark doesn't have the speed to make a difference. And was it really Mundy's decision to stick with the run and ignore the pass or was that the call made by the coordinator? I think the latter.

Finally, I thought Ike Taylor prided himself on being a speedster. But after the stiff arm, he seemed to give up. The game is on the line in a single play and you don't even make a diving attempt?
Exactly my thoughts every time I see this replayed. Ike looks either slow, or quit on the play. He could have been tired. He was "chasing" his man ALL DAY!

phillyesq
01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Mundy did force two fumbles, including one that was recovered by the defense. Would Clark have forced that fumble, and without the fumble, would the Steelers have been in a position to go to OT?

Shoe
01-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I think it sells Clark terribly short to say that his presence wouldn't have mattered... especially when you consider that the only offense they could muster was to chuck the ball up deep down the field (i.e. the primary job of a Free Safety to prevent). A rookie no less (I know Tebow isn't an official rookie.)

Mundy is the backup for a reason. He bit on that last TD. At the very least, it's reasonable to think that a smart player like Clark wouldn't have, we would've eventually forced a punt, gotten the ball back to Ben Roethlisberger...

Mel Blount's G
01-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I believe it made a difference. I believe Clark would have been there to help Ike, like he's done sooo many times before, on that final play.

But, that's like, my opinion man.

NorthCoast
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Clark's absence made a difference for the Steelers defense. Clark was at the top for tackles and is excellent in run support. His absence caused the Steelers to have to move Troy up to the line more often (or Troy moved himself up to the line) in order to compensate. This left the secondary ripe for picking, since Mundy is not the best cover guy either. With Clark in the game, he picks at least one of those Tebow heaves.

rpmpit
01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Clark's absence made a difference for the Steelers defense. Clark was at the top for tackles and is excellent in run support. His absence caused the Steelers to have to move Troy up to the line more often (or Troy moved himself up to the line) in order to compensate. This left the secondary ripe for picking, since Mundy is not the best cover guy either. With Clark in the game, he picks at least one of those Tebow heaves.

Agreed. I think the biggest factor was how it affected Troy's game. There's a trust between the two that allows Troy to be Troy.

But no game is worth someone's life. It was the right move to sit Clark. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

phillyesq
01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
But, that's like, my opinion man.

If this is a Big Lebowski reference, well played sir. :Cheers

RussBII
01-11-2012, 02:16 PM
But no game is worth someone's life. It was the right move to sit Clark. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

I am absolutely not questioning that. Tomlin and the team did the right thing. I'm just pointing out that it was a very significant factor.

You lose the top tackler on your passing defense, it's gonna have an effect.

skyhawk
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
How can not having your leading tackler NOT crush us?

Name one other FS that the Steelers have had that has been better in the last 15 years?

pittpete
01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Cmon, Scott Shields was the man
He was loaded with potential

fezziwig
01-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Clark doesn't get enough respect IMHO. Remember how slow and out of position Flowers used to be. Was that Gary Jones that used to layout receivers ?

Who did Clark replace ? I remember everyone was on him because it seemed like it took so long for him to develope but his final year he had a pretty good season I thought.

pittpete
01-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Flowers was a strong safety and was a liability in pass coverage.
Clark replaced Brent Alexander at Free safety Im sure.
Didnt Tyrone Carter play a little FS also?
Man, talk about a slow reacting DB...

Captain Lemming
01-12-2012, 02:11 AM

It was Chris Hope who Clark replaced.

skyhawk
01-12-2012, 03:06 AM

It was Chris Hope who Clark replaced.

Yep. He's the one that got pushed off in the endzone vs the Seahawks in the SB.

feltdizz
01-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Clark is not great in coverage. The OT pass looked just like the AZ pass in the SB...

Unless Clark checked out of the run D and why would he do that given how many times Denver ran on 1st down?