PDA

View Full Version : Goodell tore Decker's ACL

Iron Shiek
01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Well not literally. Harrison finally doesn't hit some one like he's been taught, and still hurts a guy. Then I have to listen to dumb a$$es like Bill Simmons say it was a dirty hit. WTF. Harrison can't win. I blame Goodell for this kid's injury and that was not a dirty hit.

steelz09
01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Simmons is a moron. I can't even listen to his podcasts because his stupidity and obvious Patriots homerism makes me suicidal. lol

Eddie Spaghetti
01-09-2012, 06:29 PM
no sympathy for decker whatsoever.

the league forced james to do this.

brothervad
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
So let me get this straight...

accoridng to the media, you can't aim high and you can't aim low.

So the only place you can tackle is the strike zone in baseball.

Why even bother having defense on the field anymore. The game is pathetic.

I will tell you this right now. Now that I live in Hawaii, I won't be watching what has now become a pathetic version of what was once the best game on earth.

f that.

Life's too short. I will likely be out learning how to surf or something else like that.

The owners and Goodell got what they want a bunch of dumba$$ morons who want to watch a game of real life Madden.

brothervad

Leper Friend
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM

I don't ever want to see anyone get hurt but you're right. Thr pc morons who sert the "safety" rules made this play. I expect more next year and i applaud harrison actually. Everyone said he has to lower his target , well he did just that.

Wilkinsburg
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Dumb comment, dude. This is the NFL's fault, not Deckers. However, didn't James Harrison say this exact thing, "People's knees are gonna get blown out?"

fezziwig
01-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I think this is the start of things with having the defense taking out guys low.

If the NFL is so worried about upper injuries then, they better start placing a weight limit on players and wearing leather helmets again.

It has gotten out of hand with these messed up rules and fines.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Dumb comment, dude. This is the NFL's fault, not Deckers. However, didn't James Harrison say this exact thing, "People's knees are gonna get blown out?"

can you read?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
100% clean hit.

Wilkinsburg
01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":25oesrzq]no sympathy for decker whatsoever.

can you read?[/quote:25oesrzq]

Yes, I can read. So if Wallace's knee got blown out last night...would you have no sympathy for him because of the league rules?

DukieBoy
01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Goodell does prefer low blows.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":3b7rin3m]no sympathy for decker whatsoever.

can you read?

Yes, I can read. So if Wallace's knee got blown out last night...would you have no sympathy for him because of the league rules?[/quote:3b7rin3m]

nope.

however, you shouldn't confuse james with every other player in the league as he has clearly been targeted. Obviously james wouldn't be forced to go low on a teammate. I sympathize with harrison here, as he has been forced into a very difficult situation. NFL football isn't played in a vacuum. Big men running really fast tend to crash into each other.

brothervad
01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
you guys wanna bet if there is a rash of knee injuries to those high named profile WR's next year that they won't change the rules in the middle of the year?

Could you imagine what football would look after that?

Yeah maybe i am wrong but Defenses adjust...that's what they do. Target will get lower and blown knees will become prevalent.

You know how the NFL will respond to that. NBC and Florio will have a big cow fit on Sunday night football after 7 WR's go down to season ending knee injuries...and here comes King Roger to the rescue.

brothervad

phillyesq
01-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I do feel bad for Decker. I'm sure if asked, he'd rather have been hit high. He seems to be an innocent victim of Goodell's policies.

Ghost
01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
You can think the hit was legal and 100% clean and also feel bad for Decker. Not mutually exclusive. I feel bad his season is over while his team still plays and he may have a long recovery ahead of him. But that's the risk playing in the NFL.

pittpete
01-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Remember the days when people actually lowered their shoulder and wrapped up?
Tackling is a lost art in todays NFL.

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Elway links Harrison’s fines to Decker’s MCL sprain

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 10, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/j-elwayyell.jpg?w=250

After racking up fines and a suspension for repeated hits to opponents’ heads, Steelers linebacker James Harrison did exactly what the league office has been urging him to do on Sunday: He lowered his target when making a hit.

The result was a hard shot to Broncos receiver Eric Decker’s knee, resulting in an MCL sprain that will likely keep him out of Saturday’s playoff game at New England. And Broncos V.P. of Football Operations John Elway links the injury to Decker’s knee with the deductions from Harrison’s paychecks.

“The target is now lower,” Elway said on 102.3 FM in Denver on Monday, via USA Today. “Harrison yesterday, because of the fact that he’s been fined so often, really had no other option. . . . I don’t think he intended to hurt Eric. But obviously because of the situations he’s been in, he had to go low and stay away from the head. And it ended up costing an MCL sprain for Eric.”

Elway’s comments point to one of the problems a lot of players have had with the NFL’s emphasis on decreasing helmet-to-helmet hits: If you’re not hitting your opponent high, you have to hit him low. And low hits often put players out of commission a long longer than high hits. Fortunately for Decker, what looked like an ugly knee injury turned out to be a relatively minor one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... cl-sprain/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/10/elway-links-harrisons-fines-to-deckers-mcl-sprain/)

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2012, 12:23 PM
So let me get this straight...

accoridng to the media, you can't aim high and you can't aim low.

So the only place you can tackle is the strike zone in baseball.

Exactly...all tackles must be in the strike zone.

Why? It's obvious...they all must be strikes...because the league has no balls!!! :mrgreen:

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Elway: Harrison 'had no other option' but to tackle Decker low

NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Jan. 10, 2012

Whether he goes high or low, James Harrison has trouble escaping his critics, but he's found an unlikely defender in Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway.

After the Steelers linebacker tackled Eric Decker at the knees in Sunday's wild-card thriller -- resulting in a sprained knee for the Broncos wideout -- Elway pointed out that Harrison was making an effort to play according to revised NFL rules cracking down on helmet-to-helmet hits.

"The target is now lower," Elway told KSMT-FM on Monday, via USA Today. "Harrison yesterday, because of the fact that he's been fined so often, really had no other option. ... I don't think he intended to hurt Eric. But obviously because of the situations he's been in, he had to go low and stay away from the head. And it ended up costing an MCL sprain for Eric."

Harrison received a one-game suspension for his illegal helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns quarterback Colt McCoy this season, after knocking out Browns wide receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs with concussions last season -- hits that resulted in hefty fines for the All-Pro linebacker.

Decker, ruled day-to-day for Saturday's divisional playoff meeting with the New England Patriots, is a huge part of the Broncos' passing game, leading the team in receptions (44), receiving yards (612) and touchdowns (8).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e02fd/article/elway-harrison-had-no-other-option-but-to-tackle-decker-low-?module=HP11_headline_stack)

Discipline of Steel
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
High or low...James Harrison hits HARD!
He is a Steeler to the core.

skyhawk
01-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, and the Broncos player can deliver a helmet to helmet (and leading with the crown) hit to Redman with no flag or fine. They say he was a "runner". Please. The rules are crap.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I think James just lights folks up. If he gets banned from the NFL he should seek out a pro rugby team in Australia.

Mel Blount's G
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
I mentioned this when Goodell began his head shot b.s. Players would MUCH rather take a shot to the head than to the knees. I really wish there were some mainstream media reporters who would speak out on what Goodell is doing and has done to the league. I almost feel that James take on a lawsuit against Goodell for what he has done to James' character and reputatiom. In ANY other era, James Harrison is an absolute full blown defensive superstar. But Goodell has changed his image to one of a dirty player who is out to injure opponents. Ah hell, I could go on but it just makes me ill thinking about it

Discipline of Steel
01-11-2012, 07:58 AM
I mentioned this when Goodell began his head shot b.s. Players would MUCH rather take a shot to the head than to the knees. I really wish there were some mainstream media reporters who would speak out on what Goodell is doing and has done to the league. I almost feel that James take on a lawsuit against Goodell for what he has done to James' character and reputatiom. In ANY other era, James Harrison is an absolute full blown defensive superstar. But Goodell has changed his image to one of a dirty player who is out to injure opponents. Ah hell, I could go on but it just makes me ill thinking about it

Dony worry. The real fans and all the players know it. Tomlin and LeBeau know it.