PDA

View Full Version : Report: Hines Ward will retire

Jooser
01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ll-retire/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/09/report-hines-ward-will-retire/)

Report: Hines Ward will retire

Posted by Josh Alper on January 9, 2012, 11:48 AM EST

With the Steelers facing the start of the long offseason, decisions will start being made about the future of the roster.

One player to watch on that front is Hines Ward. Ward turns 36 in March and after seeing his role cut dramatically in his 14th NFL season, thereís been some talk that he might be ready to call it a career. Ward, who has two years left on his contract, said last month that he hasnít been thinking about retiring, but a report from Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com on Monday sings a different tune.

Freeman reports that he got a text from a Steelers player after the 29-23 overtime loss to the Broncos saying that the ďexpectations around the teamĒ are that Ward will not return for another season. The player isnít Ward so thereís obviously a pretty big grain of salt in the mix, but the 2011 season didnít provide much evidence of a bright future for Ward.

Whatever future he has might not be in Pittsburgh. With a strong receiving corps in place and a need to get younger before next season, the Steelers might not have a place for Ward on their roster. Cutting ties with a player who has 1,000 career catches and two Super Bowl rings as a Steeler wouldnít be all that easy, but similar moves have been made before and the Steelers havenít shown an aversion to making tough decisions like that in the past.

If this is the end for Ward, you can bet there will be a spirited debate about his Hall of Fame credentials in a few years. It will be the rare case when a wide receiverís blocking ability plays a major role in the discussion.

pick6
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I can't see him going out like this. He has too much honor.

Jooser
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
He's done. and we need the money towards the salary cap.

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
This last offseason, the Ravens cleaned house getting rid of several long-time stalwarts such as Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, and others.

We are almost guaranteed to be without Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Bryant McFadden, and Chris Kemoeatu next year. We may also not have Hines Ward, James Farrior, Casey Hampton, and Charlie Batch. Big changes afoot...

SteelBucks
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Best of luck to Ward with whatever he decides.

SteelBucks
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
This last offseason, the Ravens cleaned house getting rid of several long-time stalwarts such as Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, and others.

We are almost guaranteed to be without Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Bryant McFadden, and Chris Kemoeatu next year. We may also not have Hines Ward, James Farrior, Casey Hampton, and Charlie Batch. Big changes afoot...

:Agree

Changes are needed but I hope they find quality replacements. I can't take a rebuilding year.

williar
01-09-2012, 01:55 PM
If true, I hate to see you go, Hines. You have been the heart and soul of the Pittsburgh Steelers the past 10 years. You deserved much better than to go out in this train wreck.

NW Steeler
01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Wasn't Hampton just re-signed this past off season? We cant just cut all these guys, the cap hit would be devastating, would it not? I can see Ward and Smitty retiring, but I bet Farrior has every intention of returning. I hope Sly is ready to take his spot.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Wonder who the mole is.

Steelgal
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Wasn't Hampton just re-signed this past off season? We cant just cut all these guys, the cap hit would be devastating, would it not? I can see Ward and Smitty retiring, but I bet Farrior has every intention of returning. I hope Sly is ready to take his spot.

I believe it's been a few years since Casey was re-signed. Or maybe he was restructured to get below the cap for this year? I was thinking Harrison and a few others restructured to help us for this past season.

I think Farrior is still a decent player, but can't play the entire game. He needs to start rotating with Sly. They need to hand over playcalling to someone else then.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I hope this is the case. I would hate to see next year come down to bitter business decisions among the Steelers and players who gave their heart & soul for the team. This off season will difficult..There will be players and fans who will be finding it difficult to move on. I expect Ward, Smith, Hoke, & Farrior have played their last game as a Steeler and it is up to them how they want their careers come to an end. I would hope they walk away as Steelers.

NW Steeler
01-09-2012, 02:26 PM

I believe it's been a few years since Casey was re-signed. Or maybe he was restructured to get below the cap for this year? I was thinking Harrison and a few others restructured to help us for this past season.

I think Farrior is still a decent player, but can't play the entire game. He needs to start rotating with Sly. They need to hand over playcalling to someone else then.

Just looked it up. Hampton re-signed in 2010 - 3 years, $21 million, $11 million guaranteed. So that would mean this would be his last year of that contract.

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2012, 02:27 PM

2/25/2010: Signed a three-year, $21.3 million contract. The deal contains $11 million guaranteed, including a $6.5 million signing bonus. In each year, $1 million of his salary depends on Hampton meeting workout and weight standards. 2011: $3.91 million, 2012: $4.89 million, 2013: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/645/casey-hampton

aggiebones
01-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Ward is done and I believe the reason is because he would be bored sitting on the bench. He's a player. Some guys make a career and a fortune hiding on the bench. Not Hines. He can't sit and watch.

Now he 'could' be coerced into one more season as the 5th-6th WR while adding some coaching duties (grad asst. type role) Guys will get injured and pull hammies and he can step into any WR role for the most part. He still has some cap hit to him and might as well keep him part of that core. I see no reason to push him out yet. Him leaving doesn't save a bunch of money. We will already be absorbing a few other contracts.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-09-2012, 02:29 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":3hpx9nb7]Wasn't Hampton just re-signed this past off season? We cant just cut all these guys, the cap hit would be devastating, would it not? I can see Ward and Smitty retiring, but I bet Farrior has every intention of returning. I hope Sly is ready to take his spot.

Just looked it up. Hampton re-signed in 2010 - 3 years, $21 million, $11 million guaranteed. So that would mean this would be his last year of that contract.[/quote:3hpx9nb7]

I feel they will be drafting a DT in rounds 1 or 2 so 2012 will be his last....IF....His knee injury isn't significant. It appears both he & Starks injured ACLs and Keisel has a severe groin injury.

flippy
01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Wonder who the mole is.

Probably Ben. :)

aggiebones
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Either Hampton or Hoke is out. Hard to tell who it will be. Could go Hoke and McClendon early in season and keep Hampton on the pup list if torn ACL. He may be ready midseason and Hoke or McClendon could be hurt by then.
I wouldn't just cut him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM

If he sticks around I can't see a way that he regains that honor. He entered this season as a starter and he would enter next as a guy fighting for a roster spot.

Steelers>NFL
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Hines will retire, I believe. Then the Steelers will re-sign Cotchery. He will be the veteran WR next season.

pick6
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM

If he sticks around I can't see a way that he regains that honor. He entered this season as a starter and he would enter next as a guy fighting for a roster spot.

I don't think he has lost his honor. Ability yes, honor no. But I really don't know how this guy feels everyday. His body might be telling him that its a done deal. He's one of the best players in the history of the best sports franchises. I would love to see him come back and give it one more shot even if he is the 5th receiver, Id just want him around when we hoist next year.

There are a few players in a similar position, but Hines is the only one that I feel this strongly about. Not having him on the sideline...it would just be completely different for me.

feltdizz
01-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Hines needs to retire to protect his legacy IMO.

Oviedo
01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Either Hampton or Hoke is out. Hard to tell who it will be. Could go Hoke and McClendon early in season and keep Hampton on the pup list if torn ACL. He may be ready midseason and Hoke or McClendon could be hurt by then.
I wouldn't just cut him.

Unless Hampton takes a paycut from his projected $7M next year he won't be around. He isn't going to have a whole lot of leverage or interest from other teams with ACL surgery. Steelers hold all the cards on this one. Same with Max Starks. I'd go for bargains on both of them.

SteelCrazy
01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
players toward the end of their career tend to cry retirement after a heart-breaking loss such as the Denver loss. He may retire, but its too early to know what he's really going to do. Even Hines doesnt know.

steelerkeylargo
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Hines has no plans to retire. Straight from a great source.

Sugar
01-09-2012, 06:16 PM

Like his own FB page? He just posted that he wasn't retiring and didn't know who it was that put that out there.

SteelBucks
01-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Good. I just hope it's in a Steeler uniform.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
hines ward.

I will never forget.

I will raise a glass to the man.

NW Steeler
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Hines is an all-time favorite. I wish some of his toughness would have rubbed off on Wallace, who looked like he caught Amos Z disease yesterday - tackled by a blade of grass. His apparent lack of focus is maddening.

Chadman
01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't just cut him.

Unless Hampton takes a paycut from his projected $7M next year he won't be around. He isn't going to have a whole lot of leverage or interest from other teams with ACL surgery. Steelers hold all the cards on this one. Same with Max Starks. I'd go for bargains on both of them.

Completely disagree. The Steelers have absolutely NO other option as good as Hampton- even closely as good as Hampton- to fill that spot. And it's not like it's an easy spot to fill. 3-4 Defenses without an anchor NT struggle.

Hampton will be around. Hoke likely gone. McLendon isn't the answer- but could be a role player. There are 2 long term options going forward for the Steelers at NT- 1 is obvious- draft a replacement. That said, there are few 'no doubt' NT's players in this draft, so Hampton's replacement might simpl not be there...yet. Option 2 could be...move Ziggy Hood to NT, if he can bulk up & strengthen up. He's not an 'ideal' size for a 3-4 DE- a little short- but if he could add 15lbs, he might be an effective Chris Hoke style active NT going forward. That would then mean having to find another long term DE though.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Maybe Hines can replace Faulk Sapp Sharp or one of the other crappy talking heads.

Jooser
01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ds-future/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/09/conflicting-information-emerges-about-hines-wards-future/)

Conflicting information emerges about Hines Wardís future

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 9, 2012, 6:08 PM EST

AP
Some of Hines Wardís teammates expect that the veteran receiver will retire. Ward and some reporters around Ward feel differently.

Rich Walsh of Channel 11 in Pittsburgh reports Ward wants to continue playing.

Jim Wexell of Scout.com believes that defensive linemen Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke will retire, but Ward and linebacker James Farrior will continue playing.

Of course, thereís no guarantee the Steelers will bring Ward back if he tries to play again. Ward would likely have to take a reduction in salary and may not be guaranteed to make the team out of training camp in 2012 if he wanted to return.

pittpete
01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I think we learned this year about keeping players way past their prime.
Retire Hines, you are the man but a very one dimensional sloooow man.

fordfixer
01-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Hines Ward
I wanted take a moment to thank all of Steeler Nation for the love and support. I'm sorry for the disappointing loss. I'm still depressed about it. We had a great year finishing 12-4 but our ultimate goal was to win the Super Bowl and we fell short. Hats off to Denver. I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

pick6
01-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Chadman, you gotta like Mcclendon. He holds his own and is never pushed out of place. He is very solid and a keeper. I think he should try a little DE 5 technique next year. I see him as a very good utility guy on the dline. What do you think.

pick6
01-09-2012, 09:55 PM
so glad to hear hines is coming back. yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hawaiiansteel
01-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Hines Ward Refutes Retirement Speculation: "Let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now."

by Michael Bean on Jan 9, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2688240/100481_Steelers_Broncos_Football.jpg

1 day ago: Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward (86) walks off the field after the Steelers lost 30-23 to the Denver Broncos in overtime of an NFL wild card playoff football game Sunday, Jan. 8, 2012, in Denver.

That didn't take long. Not one day had passed since the Pittsburgh Steelers bowed out of the 2011 NFL Playoffs with their shocking 29-23 OT loss to the Denver Broncos that the media hit the ground running with rampant speculation about the pending retirement of Hines Ward. Well, hold the phone according to none other than Ward himself. Writing on his Facebook page late Monday afternoon, Ward had the following to say about his retirement plans....or lack thereof:

I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

Ward began his post by expressing disappointment and apologies to Steeler Nation for the way the Steelers performed in Sunday afternoon's loss to Denver. All class, as usual, from the future Hall of Famer.

We'll speculate about Ward's future with the Steelers, and whether or not the unthinkable of him finishing his career elsewhere is in the cards, but for now, let's just start every conversation about No. 86 under the assumption that he will not in fact be hanging it up after 14 wildly successful seasons with the black-and-gold.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... h-steelers (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/1/9/2694935/hines-ward-retirement-rumors-pittsburgh-steelers)

feltdizz
01-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Who started this rumor? I bet it's the same guy who had BA fired last year...

Chadman
01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Chadman, you gotta like Mcclendon. He holds his own and is never pushed out of place. He is very solid and a keeper. I think he should try a little DE 5 technique next year. I see him as a very good utility guy on the dline. What do you think.

McLendon looks like a fine role player- but not a real dominant starter. He's Chris Hoke- the guy you want to have come in for a few snaps & rest your main guy.

The more Chadman thinks about it, the more NT is becoming the priority going into the draft. Must get a dominant NT to make the Steelers pass rush improve, as Harrison is declining & neither Hood or Heyward are at their 'peak' yet. The NT needs to soak up at least 2 blockers, putting at least 1 OLB & maybe 1 DE in a 1-on-1 blocking situation. You do that, the Steelers pass rush improves. The NT doesn't have to be a sack artist- but he needs to soak up blockers to allow Hood, Keisel & Heyward to get pressure- and that makes the LB's more effective...which improves the play of the DB's...

Flow on effect.