PDA

View Full Version : This Team Needs a Redzone Target/Playmaker Bad!

Dee Dub
01-09-2012, 12:15 AM
When you are inside the 20 you need a player who can exploit one on one match ups in a short amount of distance. Mike Wallace is great when he can stretch a defense but he isnt going to out muscle or out jump a defender in a short distance. And neither is Antonio Brown. Now I dont expect them to go get a Megatron but someone who can beat these 5 foot 10 corners in the air or be able to physically create seperation inside a tight area is a must.

WR Alshon Jeffrey (6 ft 4 230) may just be that guy.

MicroBioSteel
01-09-2012, 12:32 AM
I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit. Lets sleep on it a bit and revisit this thought near draft time.

NJ-STEELER
01-09-2012, 12:43 AM
totally agree

part of the reason of our red zone struggles is we dont have that big physical WR who can easily get off the LOS

our guy now get jammed too easily

Shoe
01-09-2012, 01:10 AM
That's a luxury that should take a backseat to o-linemen and secondary.

Kemoeatu should never play another game with us again. Our Center has a chronic ankle problem. Legursky I like... as a versatile, swing 8th man type. Starks is serviceable, on a strong line that is (not on the garbage line we have). Sadly, one could argue that are best piece moving forward is... Marcus Gilbert?

And we've seen our Secondary... all I have to say about them is that Tim Tebow torched them. Enough said.

grotonsteel
01-09-2012, 01:48 AM
I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit. Lets sleep on it a bit and revisit this thought near draft time.

+1

I am screaming a for a tall, physical WR who is not afraid to catch the ball in traffic something Mike Wallace will never do.

Alshon Jefferey from South Carolina would be a nice pick.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-09-2012, 02:04 AM
It would also help if we looked to some of the best red zone targets we already have. Heath Miller ought to be utilized more. Cotchery, too.

But I agree. Another tall, physical receiver wouldn't hurt.

Slapstick
01-09-2012, 07:17 AM
I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit.

Tell that to David Johnson, who got plowed when he was as defenseless as could be...if it were a Steeler who hit a Bronco like that, it would have been a flag...

BTW, we do have 6' 5" Wesleye Saunders who showed good hands and feet in the 1 red zone opportunity where he was targeted...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-09-2012, 07:39 AM
I agree....Someone who can go up and get the ball. With the new "defenseless receiver" rules a big guy can go up in the middle of the field and pluck balls all day without worry of the killer hit.

Tell that to David Johnson, who got plowed when he was as defenseless as could be...if it were a Steeler who hit a Bronco like that, it would have been a flag...

BTW, we do have 6' 5" Wesleye Saunders who showed good hands and feet in the 1 red zone opportunity where he was targeted...
$$$
Would like to see Saunders utilized more as a red zone option.

DukieBoy
01-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Where is Limas Sweed when you need him? (Seemed to have been replaced by Mike Wallace yesterday).

SteelBucks
01-09-2012, 08:25 AM
When you are inside the 20 you need a player who can exploit one on one match ups in a short amount of distance. Mike Wallace is great when he can stretch a defense but he isnt going to out muscle or out jump a defender in a short distance. And neither is Antonio Brown. Now I dont expect them to go get a Megatron but someone who can beat these 5 foot 10 corners in the air or be able to physically create seperation inside a tight area is a must.

I agree. I think this is the reason why they went after Plax last offseason. I expect they will try something again to address their redzone problem....settling for FG's will kill you in the playoffs.

Dee Dub
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
That's a luxury that should take a backseat to o-linemen and secondary.....

If you think about it, having this type of receiver may actually help an O-line. Why does Ben get sacked so often? More times than not it's because he is holding on to the ball too long. Get him a receiver who can break a jam at the LOS or be able to physically create separation with in the first 5 yards and he will be able to get rid of the ball sooner.

And adding more points on the board will also help the secondary/pass rush on defense. :D

steelz09
01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
IMO, weapons are the last thing this team needs. I think we have an incredibly talented offense that is not utilized right now. Why add another "weapon" that will be under utilized.

Saunders and Heath. Those are 2 good receiving TE.
Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Crotchery, Ward - Thats a lot of talent at the WR position.
Mendenhall and Redman. Not great but not bad either. They would be better if we had better guards.

To me, that is plenty of skill to be an effective offense. I blame Ben, Arians and Tomlin.

The only offensive position I hope we draft in the first 3 rounds is a guard.

williar
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I hope our FO is thinking proactively and drafts a replacement QB somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. I know some of you think that Ben is going to be here forever but he's not. Especially with the hits this guy takes every game. I don't believe you can continue to play the way he does and it not effect him into his 30's.

Ben has looked like a shell of himself these past 5 or 6 games, even without the injury he just doesn't move like he used to, which naturally comes with the aging process.... I just don't want to be caught with our pants down everytime Ben comes up hobbling... I'm ready for us to find a T.J. Yates

Slapstick
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I disagree about Ben...

Remember the Jacksonville game? He took some sacks, but moved around in and out of the pocket like he always does.

When the high ankle sprain heals, he'll move around like himself again.

phillyesq
01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I agree. I think this is the reason why they went after Plax last offseason. I expect they will try something again to address their redzone problem....settling for FG's will kill you in the playoffs.

I'm not a fan at all, but Plax could make a lot of sense in that role. He proved this year that he is a below average starting WR at this point in his career but still a threat in the red zone.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Isn't Wes Saunders a giant of a TE that had 3 passes thrown to him all season, one of which was a Jordan-esque catch in the EZ for a TD?

steelz09
01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Yup.. Saunders is a good athlete and he's 6'5.

Arians does NOT know how to utilize the weapons he has at his arsenal. That includes Mendenhall, Redman, Saunders and Heath.

We don't utilize our short passing game options. Ben is quite possibly worst Steelers QB I've ever seen at selling a RB screen. The fat, slow, and lazy OL doesn't help either.

Dee Dub
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Arians does NOT know how to utilize the weapons he has at his arsenal. That includes Mendenhall, Redman, Saunders and Heath.

We don't utilize our short passing game options. Ben is quite possibly worst Steelers QB I've ever seen at selling a RB screen. The fat, slow, and lazy OL doesn't help either.

Two things, you are not going to get your TE matched up wide for the corner fade, and two neither Saunders nor Miller (even though tall), are not great vertical leapers. This team needs that.

You get this, and I bet it makes Ben a better QB and the O-line better as well. Ben will be able to get rid of the ball a lot quicker more often. Beat a press either wide or inside (slot), and or be able to create separation physically with in the first 5 yards from the LOS is something Ben does not have.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Two things, you are not going to get your TE matched up wide for the corner fade, and two neither Saunders nor Miller (even though tall), are not great vertical leapers. This team needs that.

You get this, and I bet it makes Ben a better QB and the O-line better as well. Ben will be able to get rid of the ball a lot quicker more often. Beat a press either wide or inside (slot), and or be able to create separation physically with in the first 5 yards from the LOS is something Ben does not have.

Saunders was a pretty coveted D1 basketball recruit. I think with his size & that knowledge you at least throw a jump ball or two to give it a shot.

steelz09
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
[quote=jhansle1]Yup.. Saunders is a good athlete and he's 6'5.

Saunders was a pretty coveted D1 basketball recruit. I think with his size & that knowledge you at least throw a jump ball or two to give it a shot.[/quote:1y31dlrx]

You don't absolutely need to have the TE split out wide.

With an average vertical, Saunders can easily be successful in a fade. He's 6'5! You don't need to jump outta the gym to catch a fade especially when your 6'5.

Instead, Arians has a fixation on throwing a fade to Ward. Now thats pure genius.

Dee Dub
01-09-2012, 07:12 PM
[quote=jhansle1]Yup.. Saunders is a good athlete and he's 6'5.

Saunders was a pretty coveted D1 basketball recruit. I think with his size & that knowledge you at least throw a jump ball or two to give it a shot.

You don't absolutely need to have the TE split out wide.

With an average vertical, Saunders can easily be successful in a fade. He's 6'5! You don't need to jump outta the gym to catch a fade especially when your 6'5.

Instead, Arians has a fixation on throwing a fade to Ward. Now thats pure genius.[/quote:19nx1yzj]

No you are right but with a TE it's a little harder to get to a corner fade than a wide out.

steelblood
01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
how about the kid from Georgia Tech who just declared, Stephen Hill. That guy is raw, but he is 6'4 and can really jump. I think he'll end up being a great pro.