PDA

View Full Version : What Was With Officiating

flippy
01-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Not saying it impacted the outcome of the game, but there were bad calls both ways.

1. Ben's backward pass that was dropped/fumbled by Wallace called an incompletion.

2. Denver's TD where the WR had one foot inbounds than his body out.

3. 2 Non Called Facemasks on the Steelers

4. PI call on Ike very questionable given the plays the Denver DBs got away with

5. I saw a couple holds on Steelers defenders as they were rushing the QB where guys got tackled/grabbed from behind

6. Ike got held on a Tebow running play

There were more, just can't remember them all. And it was a wash. And we got outplayed, so I'm not complaining it cost us the game. Just complaining it was a poorly officiated game.

Jigawatts
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
2. Denver's TD where the WR had one foot inbounds than his body out.

This is still blowing my mind. Was that play not reviewed? I thought it was pretty obvious
the receiver landed out of bounds after ONE foot was down. :wft

fezziwig
01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
not saying these are the reason/s we lost but, did the refs think the yellow flags would clash with our uniforms ?

did they ever bother to look at all the holding that was going on against our rushers ? the ones that are actually capable of shedding blocks that is.

frankthetank1
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
the holding was bad but it always happens so it didnt upset me half as much as the non PI call on brown early on in the game. there was way too much contact on brown not to throw a flag in this era of the game. officiating is bad in every game but this was worse than usual. i still dont understand how royal's td wasnt over turned. his a$$ lands out of bounds after he only gets one foot in bounds. the fact that they originally ruled decker's catch a catch was shocking to me

Sword
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
My exact thoughts..

There was like 5 holds that should have been called against Denver...
Yes, the Denver TD.. he was clearly out of bounds....
Looks like the NFL \ refs wanted Denver to win..no matter what they had to do..

I also saw Denver hit our defensive receiver..that should have been called..

Sword

Jigawatts
01-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Wasn't there also a helmet to helmet hit on one of our receivers? Nothing devastating,
but if one of our dastardly repeat offenders laid out the same hit we would have seen a flag.

Also, I think there was a helmet to helmet call when Johnson got hit. The refs huddled
up and overturned the call. In the end it was correct. But I've seen on more than a
few occasions in the past when Ryan Clark drilled a receiver shoulder to shoulder and a
helmet to helmet was called. I've never seen refs huddle and make the correct call, why
was this situation different?

AxnJxn
01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Wasn't there also a helmet to helmet hit on one of our receivers? Nothing devastating,
but if one of our dastardly repeat offenders laid out the same hit we would have seen a flag.

Also, I think there was a helmet to helmet call when Johnson got hit. The refs huddled
up and overturned the call. In the end it was correct. But I've seen on more than a
few occasions in the past when Ryan Clark drilled a receiver shoulder to shoulder and a
helmet to helmet was called. I've never seen refs huddle and make the correct call, why
was this situation different?

I don't care if they huddle or whatever. They got the call on Johnson right - that was shoulder to shoulder. It sucked, because it didn't go our way, but it was correct. To be fair, Tebow got hit in the head a couple of times, too, and it wasn't called. 'Course, considering how many times that has happened to Ben without a call, I was fine with that.

Dunno. I don't think they were all that terrible, but I think that's also the nature of officiating in the NFL these days, particularly when you can slow down every play in HD.

feltdizz
01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I thought a player was considered down in the endzone if he gets one knee down?

AxnJxn
01-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Yeah, not getting the complaints about that one. Royal's knee was down in the end zone.

feltdizz
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
The holding was terrible but we didn't get called for holds as well and we hold EVERY game.

The early whistles happened in a few games this weekend. Not sure why refs are so quick to blow a play dead.

Ghost
01-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Yeah, not getting the complaints about that one. Royal's knee was down in the end zone.

1 Knee = 2 feet and always has. I thought it was a TD. How about DB's actually playing defense so there's no debate.

AxnJxn
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM

1 Knee = 2 feet and always has. I thought it was a TD. How about DB's actually playing defense so there's no debate.

I actually thought that should have been a penalty on Gay. He wasn't looking at the ball and there was some contact before the ball arrived. Nice catch by Royal.

Ghost
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
The most egregious, total bull sh!t call of the day was the roughing the passer on Harrison. He barely touched Tebow. That ref had his hand on his flag before the play started. I think that kept a scoring drive alive.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Steelers made enough bad plays to lose & Denver enough good to win. Time for an overhaul. I wouldn't mind two new coordinators to be honest. The 3-4 is supposed to be an aggressive attack defense & we drop in coverage. Arians play design sucks. Our wr struggle to get open & half the time we end up with two receivers in the same area.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-09-2012, 12:23 PM
The most egregious, total bull sh!t call of the day was the roughing the passer on Harrison. He barely touched Tebow. That ref had his hand on his flag before the play started. I think that kept a scoring drive alive.

They were already in FG range prior to the penalty (which for Prater I think is their own 25 yard line :wink: ) and still only kicked a FG on the drive.

But it was another horrible call on Harrison which just confirms further that he is judged by a different set of rules.