PDA

View Full Version : Sign/Trade for Oline - worst defenses in league #1/2 seeds

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I heard that in passing, is it true - the Pack and *s have the worst 2 defenses in the NFL?

They way they are winning is by protecting their "point-generating unit" - their QB.

IMO, in THIS nfl, odds of our ever winning an AFC conference championship, much less a Superbowl, are really small if we can't protect Ben.

If we don't do it this year, or next, who am I to say, I think Ben will be injured out of the league. It's not too far-fetched to say it is completely ludicrous that we have left him unprotected this long.

Could it be that dollars spent on putting together a #1 defense instead of protecting your QB are ill-spent in TODAY'S nfl?

IMO the Steeler way doesn't HAVE to mean defense rules all ... though like all long-term fans it's hard to even think otherwise. But really, doesn't the Steeler way really just mean "winning football"?

Let's do it!!

Steelgal
01-08-2012, 11:22 PM
yes, it's true. I heard that as well. They also said no team in the playoffs was in both the top 10 in offense and defense. It was either one or the other. But while the Pack finished in the bottom 2 in yards allowed, they were much higher in TOs. So I guess it depends on what criteria you use. We were first in yards/points allowed, but stunk up the joint this season is turnovers.

The rules have changed far too much for defenses to have a great impact in the game. The days of smash mouth running and defense are over for most teams. Personally, I'd rather see a 9-6 score anyday over 35-32.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM
please.

lets not place the blame solely on the OL for this teams inability to put the ball in the endzone.

nobody else has 5 1st rounders on the OL either.

feltdizz
01-08-2012, 11:29 PM
It's not about protecting Ben as much as it's about Ben protection himself.

Ben says he only knows how to play the game one way...

We need points... stop paying the D and get better offensive players.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-08-2012, 11:30 PM
please.

lets not place the blame solely on the OL for this teams inability to put the ball in the endzone.

Blame not "solely" on the O-line, but those other teams DO have 5 ... guys that can block!

Too often this year I was wondering if we did :cry:

BURGH86STEEL
01-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Ben can have the best protection in the world and it's not going to make him a more consistent QB. An Oline isn't going to allow him read defenses better, make quicker decisions, or throw with more timing and accuracy. Ben's not the type of QB that throws for 30+ TD's consistently. His style of extending plays is not conducive to scoring TD's in the red zone. When the passing lanes are tighter and field is more condensed, it's even more difficult for Ben to throw for TD's in the red zone with his style. After all these years of watching Ben, some folks still don't realize what Ben brings to the table as a QB. Ben is who he is and isn't going to change. He isn't going to morph into what Rodgers morphed into simply because the protection becomes better. No doubt Ben has the talent. Appears consistency is lacking due to issues from the neck up. In no way does that suggest that Ben is a dumb player. Just means he doesn't always process information quick enough on a consistent basis.

Ben will always cope with injuries mostly because of his style of play.

focosteeler
01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
if we can run the ball better, like the Texans for example, everyone, defense and offense will benefit

BradshawsHairdresser
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Our o-line looked better at run blocking the past two games. Coincidentally, Isaac Redman got the lion's share of the carries in those two games.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-09-2012, 12:15 PM
please.

The Broncos were often getting to Ben with three men rushing. That means that there are 8 in coverage and he is still being forced to hurry. Usually when a team rushes three, they are sacrificing pressure but getting more coverage. It is not good for an offense when you allow the D to get both.

Protecting him more consistently would force a D to bring 4 or 5 to pressure him. With that, he would not be forced to throw the ball into a crowd as much. Often when we see a QB throw the ball into double coverage, we say "there must have been an open man somewhere", but if the D has 8 in coverage then that isn't necessarily true.