PDA

View Full Version : Well it's the offseason...who is the best ILB in the draft?

D Rock
01-08-2012, 09:23 PM
any names?

PlayForBlood
01-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Hell, does Farrior have a son that plays? he is probably old enough to draft

NJ-STEELER
01-08-2012, 10:32 PM
take someone who helps the offense, for god's sake

better then having a high pick back up for a few years.

how many years will our window stay open

Steelers33
01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
There is a guy called Vontaze Burfict that has incredible athleticism that with an attitude adjustment he will be perfect for us. I say we take him if he falls to us...

Steelgal
01-08-2012, 10:45 PM
With this loss, does anyone know where we will pick in the first round?

grotonsteel
01-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Steelers will pick 24 IMO.

And with 24th pick it better be an O-lineman or a big tall WR.

focosteeler
01-08-2012, 10:59 PM
if we go defense in the 1st round the next two need to be O-line. we did run the ball better tonight but we need to improve our o line. broncos were getting pressure with 3 tonight. gotta get better up front

grotonsteel
01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
if we go defense in the 1st round the next two need to be O-line. we did run the ball better tonight but we need to improve our o line. broncos were getting pressure with 3 tonight. gotta get better up front

When 3 D-linemen can put pressure on your QB you know your O-line sucks.

Time for heavy O-line investment.

SteelCrazy
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
The best ILB for the draft is Vontaze Burfict and he is projected to in rds 2-3. Not a good year for ILB.

Lebsteel
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Maybe a fa og or ilb and then our 1st rd pick is whichever one we dont get in fa. Any good ones available in free agency?

Lebsteel
01-08-2012, 11:11 PM
The best ILB for the draft is Vontaze Burfict and he is projected to in rds 2-3. Not a good year for ILB.
Donta Hightower is 1st round talent.

SteelCrazy
01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Donta Hightower is 1st round talent.

some boards agree with that, but unless he proves to be the new Kirkland i'll disagree. Dont forget Luke Kuechly too.......if he goes

SteelBucks
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
With this loss, does anyone know where we will pick in the first round?

I think around 24th. The Steelers are in need of immediate help at ILB and OT. I hope they can fill both either in the draft or FA.

pick6
01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Well if you happened to witness the Tebow TD run do not look at Farrior. You will shed a tear like the Indian chief when he sees someone littering.

Dee Dub
01-08-2012, 11:39 PM

I do not agree with this. There is actually 2 ILB who will grade out as first round talents and possibly three. Luke Kuechly from Boston College will probbly go in the first 15 picks with Vontaze Burfict going any where from 18-28. And then there is Donta' Hightower (see my sginature), who will go anywhere from 25-35.

Having said this, now that the Steelers are picking 24th. There will be a whole lot of talent with in reach (slight trade up).

Wr Michael Floyd Notre Dame
OG David DeCastro Stanford

Or maybe even one who is there around 24.....WR Alshon Jeffrey 6 ft 4 S. Carolina who can go up and get them with the best of them.

focosteeler
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
i wouldnt mind trading our first to a team with an early 2nd so we could pick up some extra picks

drprwnap
01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
You don't get it, do you? Forget defense, we need help on the offense. In today's NFL, defense does NOT win championships anymore. :HeadBanger

D Rock
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
You don't get it, do you? Forget defense, we need help on the offense. In today's NFL, defense does NOT win championships anymore. :HeadBanger

Some defence sure would have helped stop the Broncos from winning yesterday.

This team has plenty of playmakers on offense. What they need is better play calling to take advantage of it. The only exception would be to get an O-Lineman who can start right away.

A strong ILB to stop the run is sorely needed to allow Timmons to freelance more and focus on the pass.

NW Steeler
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I hope to GOD that we draft a stud OG to plug in next to a healthy Pouncey. Burfict is seriously overrated IMO. I think Sly takes Farrior's spot next year. Fortify the lines!!

NorthCoast
01-09-2012, 08:01 PM

I agree. Look at the teams remaining, sans Baltimore the defenses are nothing special and actually quite dismal in the case of NE and GB.

It's an O league now. Draft the grunts in Rds 1-4. Tired of the OL shuffle each week and eventually it will get Ben knocked out of the game for multiweek stretches.

fordfixer
01-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Sad but true

D Rock
01-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Sad but true

The offense has the fire power to win if the defense can make a few more stops in big situations.

The only offensive players worth drafting early would be linemen.

NJ-STEELER
01-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Sad but true

The offense has the fire power to win if the defense can make a few more stops in big situations.

when's the last time a 1st rounder on defense played a significant role in his rookie year?

drprwnap
01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Sad but true

EXACTLY!!! We need a stud OL to protect Ben and open up holes for the running game.

D Rock
01-10-2012, 06:40 PM
[quote=drprwnap]You don't get it, do you? Forget defense, we need help on the offense. In today's NFL, defense does NOT win championships anymore. :HeadBanger
Sad but true

when's the last time a 1st rounder on defense played a significant role in his rookie year?[/quote:1fd5cxod]

When's the last time the Steelers drafted a stud ILB coming from a 3-4 defense in college who blanked a team in the national championship game?

flippy
01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I think we need to improve the pass rush first and foremost.

Lebsteel
01-10-2012, 06:58 PM
[quote=fordfixer][quote=drprwnap]You don't get it, do you? Forget defense, we need help on the offense. In today's NFL, defense does NOT win championships anymore. :HeadBanger
Sad but true

when's the last time a 1st rounder on defense played a significant role in his rookie year?[/quote:1addct1w]

When's the last time the Steelers drafted a stud ILB coming from a 3-4 defense in college who blanked a team in the national championship game?[/quote:1addct1w]
I'm hoping in May the answer will be April 2012.

sd steel
01-10-2012, 07:19 PM
[quote=drprwnap]You don't get it, do you? Forget defense, we need help on the offense. In today's NFL, defense does NOT win championships anymore. :HeadBanger
Sad but true

when's the last time a 1st rounder on defense played a significant role in his rookie year?[/quote:3ftm9ncn]

Cam Heyward played a pretty significant role on Sunday, and although Woodley was a 2nd rounder I think he played as a rook if I'm not mistaken...which I might be.

Dresden
01-12-2012, 12:10 AM
I will go on record as saying Mychal Kendricks of Cal is the absolute best fit for us at ILB available in this Draft. No knock on the other Kids,...but Kendricks is the nearly the prototypical inside backer for a 34 defense.

Chadman
01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Gotta shore up the NT position in order to allow your ILB to play to their potential.

A young, dominant NT will make the rest of the D look better.

That said, an athletic ILB wouldn't hurt.

And Chadman isn't against drafting a pass rushing 3-4 DE later in the draft- someone in that 6'5" 290lb range that can collapse a pocket & cause pressure to spell Heyward & Hood going forward.

Get those 3, an OG & maybe an OT- the Steelers will be set.

What's that? 5 picks?

draft a low round CB that has a record of making plays on the ball & a WR that can play ST to be the #5 WR instead of Arnaz Battle.

Order of priority-

Rounds 1-3- NT/OG/OT/ILB (in that order)

Rounds 4-5- ILB/OG/DE

Rounds 6-7- CB/WR

No point drafting an OT beyond the top 3 rounds- most of the talented ones are gone by then. And with the 3-4 being popular, same goes for NT.

OG & ILB can generally be gotten in that round 3-4 range, and a DE that is recruited to be a pass rusher only in a 3-4 D- just get an athletic big body with upside. Tey don't need to be complete, they won't be asked to start.

steelz09
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
[quote=fordfixer][quote=drprwnap]You don't get it, do you? Forget defense, we need help on the offense. In today's NFL, defense does NOT win championships anymore. :HeadBanger
Sad but true

when's the last time a 1st rounder on defense played a significant role in his rookie year?[/quote:h0e18vtk]

When's the last time the Steelers drafted a stud ILB coming from a 3-4 defense in college who blanked a team in the national championship game?[/quote:h0e18vtk]

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner. ILB in a 3-4 is a unique skill set. Please draft a player that we know can play in a 3-4. Not many teams play a 3-4 in college but Alabama does :)

And just for the record, I disagree with the opinion that we should neglect defense because of the "NFL rules".

grotonsteel
01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
People keep complaining about offense...but they don't want Steelers FO to invest in Offense? Steelers have invested heavily in defense and see what did that Defense do against Broncos. About time Offense gets some consideration this offseason.

Steelers O-line is made of patchwork. Pouncey (oft injured) and Gilbert are the only players who should be playing on Sunday. Rest are garbage or backup.Foster is a serviceable RG.

Going into next season we are not sure who steelers LT and LG will be . Starks is injured and most likely done even for next season too. RB position is also in question with injury to Mendy.

OT/OG/RB and WR(if Wallace wants top10 WR money) should be priority in the draft.offseason.

Shawn
01-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Hightower is a terrific, late first round ILB talent. But, he is a pure run stuffer. With teams moving towards passing more and more...we need another Timmons on the inside. I say draft the most athletic LB and move him inside.

But, personally I too would rather draft OL.

steelz09
01-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Hightower is a terrific, late first round ILB talent. But, he is a pure run stuffer. With teams moving towards passing more and more...we need another Timmons on the inside. I say draft the most athletic LB and move him inside.

Shawn - I aknowledge the NFL is more of a passing league than ever before but here is the problem.

Teams would still prefer to run the ball if given the choice. It's "safer", eats up time, rests the defense, etc. I think most teams would prefer to run the ball right down teams throat play after play if they could.

If we don't improve our run defense, that is exactly what teams (spefically the Ravens) will do to us. Then, we'll have to sell out to stop Rice and Flacco will kill us on the play action.

If we draft another Timmons at ILB, we will be in a world of trouble in run defense. If we draft another Timmons, then we should move to a 4-3.

Lebsteel
01-12-2012, 04:50 PM

Shawn - I aknowledge the NFL is more of a passing league than ever before but here is the problem.

Teams would still prefer to run the ball if given the choice. It's "safer", eats up time, rests the defense, etc. I think most teams would prefer to run the ball right down teams throat play after play if they could.

If we don't improve our run defense, that is exactly what teams (spefically the Ravens) will do to us. Then, we'll have to sell out to stop Rice and Flacco will kill us on the play action.

If we draft another Timmons at ILB, we will be in a world of trouble in run defense. If we draft another Timmons, then we should move to a 4-3.
:Agree I was just going to post the same thought. We need a complimentary ILB, not a clone of Timmons, well....especially Timmons. :HeadBanger

Chadman
01-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Another option to the dual-athletic ILB option is to have a NT that creates pass rush pressure up the middle combined with a run-plug ILB behind him.

That being said, Chadman would probably look at just drafting a mid to late round 3-4 DE that is more a pass rusher than run stopper & have him alternate into the DL rotation. You could even move Hood inside to NT on passing downs & let the pass rusher occupy the DE spot.

If the DL gets more pressure, blocking comes off the LB's, making them twice as effective.

steelz09
01-13-2012, 12:39 AM
I got that but I'm going on record at saying if we don't get a prototypical ILB like a Farrior, our run defense is going to be a problem. Farrior was a gifted player and it shows by how well he can play this late into his carrier. I'm not convinced we can replace him easily.

This year it was a problem but it got disguised by the corners, polamalu and especially Clark making a ton of tackles.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Vontaze Burfict (1st) or Nigel Bradham (3rd) would be my two on my wish list. Also interested to see how the Texas LBs Robinson & Acho are projected into a 3-4. Bradham reminds me alot of Kendrell Bell. He could be some good coaching away from being a playmaker.

steelblood
01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Round 1
Luke Kuechly BC 6'3 235
Donta Hightower Ala 6'4 260

Round 2
Vontaze Burflict Az St 6'3 245
Tank Carder TCU 6'3 235

Rounds 2-4
Emmanuel Acho Texas 6'2 245 (I like this kid if we could get him in the 3rd)
Keenan Robinson Texas 6'3 240
Danny Trevathan Kentucky 6'1 231 (undersized, but fast tackling macine)
Travis Lewis Oklahoma 6'2 232
Mychal Kendricks Cal 5'11 240

Later Rounds
Audie Cole N Car St 6'4 242
Chris Marve Vandy 6' 240
James-Michael Johnson 6'2 240
Adrien Cole La Tech 5'11 250

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
The best way for us to upgrade this team with a starter is on the OL.

We need to keep Ben healthy
We need to give him more time to find receivers
We need to open more holes for the RB to run through, which commits more D to the run, which takes defenders out of coverage

We currently have an injured C, a solid rookie OT, and nobody else who has locked a spot on the OL. We don't know the health of Colon and Starks (FA), we don't have one good NFL OG, our current OL as it stands right now (Gilbert, Kemo/Legs, Pouncey, Foster, Colon) is in shambles. Unproven Chris Scott, no play in two seasons Colon, J. Scott, ACL Starks.......what do we have going for us right now?????

steelblood
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM

We need to open more holes for the RB to run through, which commits more D to the run, which takes defenders out of coverage

We currently have an injured C, a solid rookie OT, and nobody else who has locked a spot on the OL. We don't know the health of Colon and Starks (FA), we don't have one good NFL OG, our current OL as it stands right now (Gilbert, Kemo/Legs, Pouncey, Foster, Colon) is in shambles. Unproven Chris Scott, no play in two seasons Colon, J. Scott, ACL Starks.......what do we have going for us right now?????

I agree that OL needs to be the focus of the early rounds. If DeCastro or Konz is there, I hope they pull the trigger. I'm not sure if there is a tackle worth the pick who will fall to us. Maybe. If there is not OL, then we need to look at BPA especially considering that NT, ILB, and FS may have slim pickings at the end of the first. It is a fantastic draft to pick up a big WR. There could be great value in rounds 1-5.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM

I agree we need OG help. The FO will know the health status going into the draft and they also know where they have the players penciled in. Assuming everything we hear is correct Gilbert & Colon will be the starters at OT & Pouncey at C. Anyway you want to "pencil" it we have 3 out of 5 locked in. Kemo restructure or cut...Good chance. They could use a starter at OG through the draft and someone to coach up to play LT. I'm sure they will be addressed.

The biggest issue in my eyes is the $$$. I believe that will be a big part of the Steelers draft process. 10 of the top 15 salaries are on the defensive side of the ball. Out of those 10...8 of them are over 30.

Even more revealing out of those Top 15 contracts:
Top 5 Position Salaries for 2012 (Excluding Ben's 16.9 mil)
1. 20.5 Mil OLB
2. 16.5 Mil ILB
3. 15.5 Mil S
4. 12.5 Mil DL
5. 10.9 Mil OL

Those defensive contracts include only two players below 30 in Woodley & Timmons. The other 8 are all over 30. The DL contracts are 8 mil of Hampton & 4.5 mil of Keisel. They addressed the DE issue the last two years. That number would have been a little uglier if I knew what Smith's number or 2012 is since he restructured & added a year. Right now he counts $875,000 plus whatever his base is but I expect him to retire so the Steelers will have $875k of dead money. The OL is Colon & Kemo. Kemo has '12 & '13 left but his signing bonus dead money will be under 2 mil so expect him to be cut if he doesn't restructure.

So all that being said...Where is the influx of youth through the draft going to be needed soon? The reason why teams build through the draft is to regulate the position salaries and not have to bring in FA to fill voids. The Steelers need defensive cap relief so 30+ positions will be on the radar. Since it hasn't been addressed inside of the 5th round & since I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers have anything long term at ILB, NT, & S to replace those 30+ players other than quality back-ups & rotation guys...You could easily believe it is coming....Very soon.

steelblood
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":3t8wmq9u]The best way for us to upgrade this team with a starter is on the OL.

I agree we need OG help. The FO will know the health status going into the draft and they also know where they have the players penciled in. Assuming everything we hear is correct Gilbert & Colon will be the starters at OT & Pouncey at C. Anyway you want to "pencil" it we have 3 out of 5 locked in. Kemo restructure or cut...Good chance. They could use a starter at OG through the draft and someone to coach up to play LT. I'm sure they will be addressed.

The biggest issue in my eyes is the $$$. I believe that will be a big part of the Steelers draft process. 10 of the top 15 salaries are on the defensive side of the ball. Out of those 10...8 of them are over 30.

Even more revealing out of those Top 15 contracts:
Top 5 Position Salaries for 2012 (Excluding Ben's 16.9 mil)
1. 20.5 Mil OLB
2. 16.5 Mil ILB
3. 15.5 Mil S
4. 12.5 Mil DL
5. 10.9 Mil OL

Those defensive contracts include only two players below 30 in Woodley & Timmons. The other 8 are all over 30. The DL contracts are 8 mil of Hampton & 4.5 mil of Keisel. They addressed the DE issue the last two years. That number would have been a little uglier if I knew what Smith's number or 2012 is since he restructured & added a year. Right now he counts $875,000 plus whatever his base is but I expect him to retire so the Steelers will have $875k of dead money. The OL is Colon & Kemo. Kemo has '12 & '13 left but his signing bonus dead money will be under 2 mil so expect him to be cut if he doesn't restructure.

So all that being said...Where is the influx of youth through the draft going to be needed soon? The reason why teams build through the draft is to regulate the position salaries and not have to bring in FA to fill voids. The Steelers need defensive cap relief so 30+ positions will be on the radar. Since it hasn't been addressed inside of the 5th round & since I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers have anything long term at ILB, NT, & S to replace those 30+ players other than quality back-ups & rotation guys...You could easily believe it is coming....Very soon.[/quote:3t8wmq9u]

I agree, but other than safety, the STeelers have addressed this problem.

Young players with promise
CB-Brown, Allen, Lewis
DE-Heyward, Hood
NT-McClendon
ILB-Timmons, Sylvestor
OLB-Woodley, Worilds, Carter (Carter and Worilds could be debated)

We can basically field an under 30 defense right now.

I think the Steelers must add another young safety to compete and they must add another run defender (NT or ILB).

So, I think the Steelers will add an OL (probably a G) in the first three rounds and then pick the BPA from S, NT, ILB, RB, and possibly even WR to fill out those early selections.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I agree, but other than safety, the STeelers have addressed this problem.

Young players with promise
CB-Brown, Allen, Lewis
DE-Heyward, Hood
NT-McClendon
ILB-Timmons, Sylvestor
OLB-Woodley, Worilds, Carter (Carter and Worilds could be debated)

We can basically field an under 30 defense right now.

I think the Steelers must add another young safety to compete and they must add another run defender (NT or ILB).

So, I think the Steelers will add an OL (probably a G) in the first three rounds and then pick the BPA from S, NT, ILB, RB, and possibly even WR to fill out those early selections.

I didn't mention CB because we have addressed that pretty well and it looks good. DE was addressed the last two years like I mentioned. OLB was adressed too...At least we hope. I did say inside the 5th round and that means NT, ILB, and S have not been addressed. We have no reason to believe that Sylvester & McClendon are long term solutions. They have their roles on this team. Mundy is an adequate back-up but I don't think he is any long term replacement. I would not be a surprise to me to see ILB, NT, G/OL, & S in the 1st 4 rounds.

BigRob
01-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Round 2
Vontaze Burflict Az St 6'3 245
Tank Carder TCU 6'3 235

Tank Card is not a 2nd Rounder in this draft. He had a terrible year and has been downgraded. No Thank you.

I like James Michael-Johnson in the 4th round to be honest. I think he is going to be a steal.

I also like Mychal Kendricks starting in round 3.

frankthetank1
01-14-2012, 06:01 PM
luke kuechly is imo the best ILB in the draft by a long shot. ive seen every game he played at BC and he is one of the most impressive college players ive ever seen on and off the field. the guy has always had a 4.0 gpa so you know he is a very smart player much like matt ryan. i doubt kuechly will be there when the steelers pick but he would be definetly the bpa imo. i know BC has been awful the past few years but he would have the same stats any where he played. 500 something tackles in 3 seasons!!! the guy is a machine

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... ke-kuechly (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/480673/luke-kuechly)

Chadman
01-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Vontaze Burfict (1st) or Nigel Bradham (3rd) would be my two on my wish list. Also interested to see how the Texas LBs Robinson & Acho are projected into a 3-4. Bradham reminds me alot of Kendrell Bell. He could be some good coaching away from being a playmaker.

:Agree

Bradham looks like a real playmaker.

Funny that people in here want an ILB "Thumper" type- Farrior has been playing at around 220lbs for a couple of seasons- we haven't seen a 'Thumper' in this defense in a while.

The benefit to Bradham is he isn't going to soak up a 1st or even a 2nd round draft pick. Grab a big body NT to free up the LB's (Poe) & grab another OL in Round 2 before you get Farrior's eventual replacement.