PDA

View Full Version : Time to Trim the Fat!

Dee Dub
01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Time to get rid of these older palyers who continue to get dinged up and can't be counted on. Time to get rid of these older players who are no longer productive. I need not even make a list. We all know who they are. Some sentimental fan favorites are no longer getting it done. It is time to trim the fat. And that may even include a certain coach or two.

Oviedo
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Time to get rid of these older palyers who continue to get dinged up and can't be counted on. Time to get rid of these older players who are no longer productive. I need not even make a list. We all know who they are. Some sentimental fan favorites are no longer getting it done. It is time to trim the fat. And that may even include a certain coach or two.

Totally agree. This is an embarassing game even if we by some miracle come back. Start the housecleaning with our Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. Neither could make an in game adjustment if their life depended on it.

AngryAsian
01-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Totally agree. This is an embarassing game even if we by some miracle come back. Start the housecleaning with our Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. Neither could make an in game adjustment if their life depended on it.
Agree with both of you guy's to the max. Dealing with rebuilding mediocrity is more tolerable than playoff mediocrity.

Steelhere10
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I was thinking that earlier.
Casey
Farrior
Foote
Hines
Soul be a start.

Oviedo
01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
I was thinking that earlier.
Casey
Farrior
Foote
Hines
Soul be a start.

Put Arians and LeBeau at the top of the list. Regular season rankings are meaningless when you allow yourself to get embarrassed by the worst offense in the league and look totally inept on offense.

aggiebones
01-08-2012, 08:21 PM
lol, you we'd be winning if they were in there.
The younger guys clearly aren't ready.

snarky
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM

Agree with both of you guy's to the max. Dealing with rebuilding mediocrity is more tolerable than playoff mediocrity.

I think it is more like retooling than rebuilding. We have enough young talent that simply trimming the fat will put us in a good position.

But I agree with Dee Dub, there is no room for sentimentality here and it is time to move on from most of our vets.

Shoe
01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Uh... we WIN this game if Ike Taylor doesn't get ass raped to the tune of 50 yards per reception. He cuts that in half (to a paltry 25 yards per reception), and we most likely win this game.

That f'n big forehead dummy cost us this game. In fact, we would've most certainly have done better if he simply decided to stay home today.

He stays home, and we win. We play the Patriots*.

JTP53609
01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Farrior,Foote,Smith,Hampton,Hines,Keomatu,Colon... .that is a nice start and I know nobody is allowed to speak badly about harrison but I think it is clear he is on the downside of his career and it is happening fast, maybe just maybe someone would be stupid enough to give us a second rd pick for him along with taking his $$

Steelgal
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
anyone know where the Steelers stand with the cap for 2012? Read on another board, the cap should be low $120s and we're WAY over. I agree, lots of vets need to take less or go.

Oviedo
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Uh... we WIN this game if Ike Taylor doesn't get bad word raped to the tune of 50 yards per reception. He cuts that in half (to a paltry 25 yards per reception), and we most likely win this game.

That f'n big forehead dummy cost us this game. In fact, we would've most certainly have done better if he simply decided to stay home today.

He stays home, and we win. We play the Patriots*.

Ike was bad but the stupid gameplan that provided no over the top safety coverage was idiocy on the part of LeBeau. After you see Ike having issues where was the adjustment? Just like always there wasn't any.

Steel Life
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
We are 22 million over, but hardly have any "dead" money to worry about. While we have to make some cuts & renegotiate a few contracts, overall we're in decent shape - core players signed, some retirements are immenent, we have Omar Kahn...it'll be alright.

Oviedo
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
We are 22 million over, but hardly have any "dead" money to worry about. While we have to make some cuts & renegotiate a few contracts, overall we're in decent shape - core players signed, some retirements are immenent, we have Omar Kahn...it'll be alright.

:Agree but will it matter if we brings back the same stubborn, boneheaded coordinators??????

Chadman
01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Farrior, Hoke, Aaron Smith, Kemo & Hines would be the top of the list- although Hines could probably still contribute as a 5th WR.

Hampton needs to stay until a better option is available- which there simply isn't at this point.

Colon should make it to TC. Interesting to see if Starks comes back. If so, with Gilbert there too- Colon could move inside.

McFadden could go easily. Same with Dixon.

The youth movement on the DL needs to continue- a young back-up to Hampton- a big dude, not an athletic type like McLendon, is required. A feisty run paving OG is required. An impact ILB is required. A young Safety to back-up Clark/Troy.

The OL needs improving in some ways...and patience in others. There's a lot of young bodies in the rotation that are worth keeping around. A couple of vets- decent types, from outside the organisation might be the bridge required before the youngsters fulfill their ability. Max Starks is a key FA- if retained, he's there for 3-4 years. If not- LT is a priority...unless Gilbert moves to LT...which puts Colon back in at RT...

Coaching....ok, probably time to make the move before the team becomes stale...Arians could be replaced to the joy of the whinging mob while LeBeau could step to the side & perhaps be a DC/HC assistant & let Butler take the reigns as the DC. While LeBeau isn't as effective as he has been, he's still a fountain of knowledge & Chadman likes the idea of him being there as a sounding board to Tomlin.

snarky
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
I think DL can still contribute as a consultant.

Steelers>NFL
01-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Ben is the only one that looks FAT to me. He is sasquatch!

flippy
01-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Do you consider Wallace part of the fat?

Second straight playoff game, he shows he lacks the clutch gene.

I'd rather see us spend Wallace/Ward money on Oline talent to keep Ben healthy for the next run.

And I'd put some money into our pass rush.

NJ-STEELER
01-09-2012, 12:30 AM
the back up QB needs to make the vet minimum and not a penny more