PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger warns against changing coordinators

SteelCrazy
01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
The Steelers are favorites on Sunday in Denver. If Pittsburgh can win, it will set up the first Steelers-Patriots playoff game since Ben Roethlisberger’s rookie season.

There have been a lot of changes on the Steelers offense since 2004. They are more of a spread attack now built around Roethlisberger and his young receivers. The power running game is largely gone.

If the Steelers happen to get upset in Denver Sunday, Roethlisberger warns against making changes. He doesn’t want offensive coordinator Bruce Arians going anywhere.

“We’ve got something special here,” Roethlisberger said this week via Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We’ve got a lot of great young players. As long as they don’t get crazy and change the offense — that can really set you back — the sky is the limit for this team.”

The part about changing the offense was unprompted; Roethlisberger was sending a clear message to management. He knows that Arians isn’t overly popular in Pittsburgh despite record setting numbers for the team’s offense.

We can’t imagine the Steelers would make a change now from Arians. Most folks clinging to the “Steelers must pound the ball” approach realize Big Ben, Antonio Brown, and Mike Wallace are the strength of this offense.

Of course, the best way Roethlisberger can help Arians is to keep winning playoff games.

“I love this time of year,” Roethlisberger said. “I love playing in these games.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rdinators/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/08/ben-roethlisberger-warns-against-changing-coordinators/)

SteelCrazy
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM
There has to be whispers going on for Ben to say something like this right before they play Denver in the wild card round. Also, he knows the offense should have put up a lot more points then they did. Consistently moving the ball between the 20's and not scoring means your OC has nothing to contribute when it counts and we have a kicker that couldn't score a goal against a 9 year old soccer goalie.

rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Arians MUST GO!!!

that is all.....

Rockon

feltdizz
01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Ben loves Arians... this isn't surprising news.

isonator07
01-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Not sure if the record setting year means much. Look at all the QB's having record years. Much of that has to do with the rule changes.

Gaining yards doesn't win games. If we can't put points on the board its tough to win games. Some might say its a problem with execution, some might say its play calling. I personally think Arians is at least some of the problem.

Playing against Cleveland. We had a gimpy Ben throw the ball 40 times. The browns are far better against the pass. Why not just pound it with red 30 times, and give Clay more carries as well? Cleveland had the #2 ranked pass defense. Throw in the 30 MPH wind gusts and it seems like an easy decision to not throw 40 times. It's not like we were playing from behind and had to throw. Just my opinion, but Arians seems to not adjust to weather and opposing teams strenth enough.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
They have something really special going on? Really? Last I checked we were below average scoring points & most of our big pass plays occur after Ben starts running around once the real play breaks down. That isn't much of a way to have a consistent offense but is a good way to have your QB injured come January every year. I would like to see where we would be the past 5 seasons with only a middle of the road defense and all the pressure on the offense.

feltdizz
01-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Not sure how Arians gets blame for passing 40+ times when Mend went down and Redman had 2 fumbles. I think it was 42 passes to 38 runs.

feltdizz
01-08-2012, 03:25 PM
They have something really special going on? Really? Last I checked we were below average scoring points & most of our big pass plays occur after Ben starts running around once the real play breaks down. That isn't much of a way to have a consistent offense but is a good way to have your QB injured come January every year. I would like to see where we would be the past 5 seasons with only a middle of the road defense and all the pressure on the offense.
Ben is part of the reason for plays breaking down... he jet started throwing back shoulder this year and tends to look for bigger gains instead of dumping it off.

He had a lifetime to throw the ball away or run out of bounds when he was injured and he chose to run against the grain.

While most elite QB's give up on that play Ben hardly ever thinks a play is over and he doesn't mind contact.

He did the same thing his rookie year but we had a better OL and a RB who could push the pile.

rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
It's depressing watching other teams with elite talent make it look so easy, yet the Steelers make it look like they don't even practice. It would be one thing if we didn't have a franchise QB and weapons to match like say...the Broncos.

This team has the personnel, they just have an OC that has no idea how to use them. 3 teams average over 30 pts. a game, and another 29, yet the Steelers only managed to score 30 pts. in 3 games.The 3 games Ben has played since his injury, the Steelers have scored 30 pts. combined. Pretty pathetic. Meanwhile, the Packers sit Aaron Rodgers, and their backup puts up 45 pts. with almost 500 yds and 6 tds. COACHING!!!

Hell, teams with lesser personnel average more ppg the Steelers. The Ravens with their "worse the Arians" dummy offensive coordinator avergae 3 1/2 pts. more than the Steelers, and that's with Joe Flacco at QB, and a maybe slighty above average receivers. The 49ers with Alex Smith average 3 1/2 more pts than the Steelers. The Raiders, Bengals, Vikings and Dolphins average more pts. than the Steelers. Two of those teams have rookie QBs, a couple have no WRS, and none of them have the Steelers overall talent on offense. That's pretty awful.

Rockon

isonator07
01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Arians gets the blame cause he is calling the plays. I understand Redman fumbled twice. It doesnt the fact that Ben was gimpy and there was 40 MPH wind gusts. We weren't exactly shredding them through the air. Redman was running the ball well, and doesn't usually fumble. Not excusing the fumbles, I just think running the ball gave us a better chance to win against the opponent. It also limits the risk of Ben taking hits.

Dresden
01-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Exactly. And i don't care what excuses the Roethlisberger apologists make for him year in and year out,...from scapegoating the O-line,...blaming some BS injury, or whatever else they come up with,.....Roethlisberger is as awful as a backyard bush league QB against good teams as Bruce Arians is as an OC against any team. They deserve one another.

isonator07
01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Not sure how Arians gets blame for passing 40+ times when Mend went down and Redman had 2 fumbles. I think it was 42 passes to 38 runs.

Just curious, what do you feel is the cause of us not putting points on the board? You think its play calling, execution, personnel, injuries? Something is missing with our offense. I just think the biggest problem is play calling. I think we need an upgrade to both guard positions also, but we can't have studs at every position.

Dresden
01-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Just curious, what do you feel is the cause of us not putting points on the board? You think its play calling, execution, personnel, injuries? Something is missing with our offense. I just think the biggest problem is play calling. I think we need an upgrade to both guard positions also, but we can't have studs at every position.

Sure we could use something of an upgrade up front in the trenches,..but we are not in as dire straits there as Roethlisberger's fans would like to have everyone believe IMO. And sure Arians is ridiculous,..but at the same time he's not on the field.

I feel as though the main source of our inability to score many points is the same as it's been for years now,....the lack of a cerebral and accurate QB whom can play well from the pocket and execute plays as they are drawn up.

We instead have one who's entire game is running around recklessly like a 12 year old and holding onto the ball waiting for plays to break down.

Does that sometimes work between the 20 yard lines against bad teams ? Sure,...but it's hard to make a living playing like that in the red zone against even a decent Defense.

grotonsteel
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM

IMO, I think it is a cocktail of all. But i do believe personnel and injuries take most of the blame.

Did you see NO blocking scheme? Their TE and RB cut blocks the pass rushers and they still move downfield. That blocking scheme help reduced Drew Bress sack total by half. Do you believe Steelers have personnel to do that? On top of that NO has 3 O-linemen in Pro Bowl.

When Ben said couple of years back that he needed a big physical WR people like Hines were pissed off. But today a big tall physical WR is a must. With new rules you just can't defend those type of WRs. Just chuck the ball in air in double-triple coverage and the tall physical WR will get the ball for ya.

I seriously hope Steelers get some physical WRs who could fight for the ball ala GB WR corp or Megatron.

pittpete
01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Just curious, what do you feel is the cause of us not putting points on the board? You think its play calling, execution, personnel, injuries? Something is missing with our offense
Lot of things, but it starts with our OC.
Of course the lack of execution by our players can also be the cause, but if the players you have just cant execute then what does an OC do?
Of course the answer is call plays that the personnel you have can execute consistently.
Example:the 3 fade routes that were called against Cleveland were an abomination.
Example:targeting your TE 2 times a game
Example:constantly having D.Johnson in the game
Example:5 wide with a QB on a gimpy leg and a suspect O-line
Example:18th ranked redzone scoring offense
Of course the turnovers Ben had were a contributing factor.
Tired of hearing what potential this offense has with a
-1st round veteran QB
-All pro veteran TE
-2 young speedy up and coming wideouts
-1st round RB
and we still are middle of the pack and struggle on offense

Steelgal
01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Can't post entire article because it's part of the paid site I belong to, but here's an interesting excerpt

"Early in the week, when half the joint was muttering to themselves because of Roethlisberger’s statement regarding his “setback” in Cleveland, one of the suits leaned over and said, “If I were Tomlin, I’d tell Ben this: ‘It’s time for you to be great. And if you’re not great starting Sunday, no more B.A. That’s right. He’s gone if you’re not great. No more gravy train.’” And then the suit threw this in: “And I’d tell him ‘We’ll sign Hines to a six-year extension, too.’”

Needless to say, it's lead to quite the discussion on those boards....

grotonsteel
01-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Sure we could use something of an upgrade up front in the trenches,..but we are not in as dire straits

Seriously??

Can you tell me a playoff team which has horrible O-linemen than Steelers? Essex-Doug and Foster won't even be the backups in half the team.

Steelers O-line is decimated with injuries. Starting LT was cut by Steelers before start of the season.

Steelers best O-lineman is injured ans you think O-line is not in dire straits??

Dresden
01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Sure we could use something of an upgrade up front in the trenches,..but we are not in as dire straits

Seriously??

Can you tell me a playoff team which has horrible O-linemen than Steelers? Essex-Doug and Foster won't even be the backups in half the team.

Steelers O-line is decimated with injuries. Starting LT was cut by Steelers before start of the season.

Steelers best O-lineman is injured ans you think O-line is not in dire straits??

I respect your opinion sir,.. but from where i stand our offense would still stink in terms of scoring against quality teams because of Roethlibergers style of play.

And this would be case IMO even had we the best O-line in the game and a receiving corp that wasn't mostly comprised of frail but fast midget receivers and a former great in the twighlight of his career.

My long winded way of saying,...with Roethlisberger,..does it even really matter ? lol

Slapstick
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Here is the REAL question:

If the Arians/Roethlisberger combo contributes to another SB win, will that finally quiet all of the b!tching and moaning?

rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Seriously??

Nobodys saying that none of this is true. But, this offense struggles to score points even when the O-line is healthy. It struggles to score points when Ben is healthy. Bottom line is this offense has consistently underachieved under Arians watch. The most this offense has scored since he's been OC is 23 ppg. That's with an elite QB and some pretty good weapons. I'm tired of the excuses people make for him.

Yeah the steelers are 12-4. We know they win in spite of him. Question is, do you apologists really believe the steelers can't win without him?

Rockon

SteelCrazy
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM

If the Arians/Roethlisberger combo contributes to another SB win, will that finally quiet all of the b!tching and moaning?

The amount of their contribution would be the determining factor. If we win because of our D and in spite of the O, then Arians still needs to go.

fezziwig
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I haven't read everyones opinions or thoughts but I will later because, I'm leaving to go watch the Steelers/Broncos game but I'll say this about the subject.

I get it that we are a passing team, have lots of talent at receivers, Bens a big time QB but, Arians can't manage a game, a game time situation the players to save his life. Once in a while he gets it right but, I have another hand with fingers to count with too.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2012, 04:45 PM

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002230681/2355649361_no_way_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 05:00 PM

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002230681/2355649361_no_way_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Please reference above answer by Steel Crazy.

Rockon

Steel Life
01-08-2012, 05:23 PM
The team loses nothing if Randy Fichtner (current WR coach) takes over as OC...he ran a high-powered offense at Memphis.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
The team loses nothing if Randy Fichtner (current WR coach) takes over as OC...he ran a high-powered offense at Memphis.

Actually, Fichtner is our current QB coach (he moved from WR coach to QB coach when Kenny Anderson retired). Scottie Montgomery has been our WR for the last 2 seasons (and has done a tremendous job developing Wallace, Brown, and Sanders).

Steel Life
01-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Actually, Fichtner is our current QB coach (he moved from WR coach to QB coach when Kenny Anderson retired). Scottie Montgomery has been our WR for the last 2 seasons (and has done a tremendous job developing Wallace, Brown, and Sanders).
You're right...but I don't think it's a stretch to think Randy is the heir apparent.

rockonsteel
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
[quote="Steel Life":2z6tnifn]The team loses nothing if Randy Fichtner (current WR coach) takes over as OC...he ran a high-powered offense at Memphis.

You're right...but I don't think it's a stretch to think Randy is the heir apparent.[/quote:2z6tnifn]

If he's better than Airhead, fine. If he's just gonna continue to follow the same path as his predecessor, then I'll pass.

Rockon

Oviedo
01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Saying good bye to Arians and LeBeau is the only right move after the season. Both are lost when their initial game plan doesn't work.