PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock May Be Worst Announcer Ever

flippy
01-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I've been doing other stuff today with the Cincy/Houston game in the background without sound and just turned on the volume.

First comment I hear - "Arian Foster may not run a 4.4, but he can go from 0 - 60 in an instant"

WTF is that? Can anyone add value to a game any more?

A 4.4 40 is about 18 mph, so a guy that can't run 18 mph can get to 60 mph in an instant. How does Mayock have a job?

I used to think Theismann was bad. But this takes the cake.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I think he is very good and very knowledgeable. Does his homework.

now why the hell tom hammond is doing a playoff game is another story.

flippy
01-07-2012, 08:37 PM

i've never heard him or knew who he was before so maybe he's great? but he seems to take praising players to a level i've never heard from even some of the worst announcers.

or maybe he thinks 4.4 speed is 100 mph?

maybe he didn't do his math homework ;)

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2012, 08:38 PM
you've never heard of mike mayock?

umm, ok.

flippy
01-07-2012, 08:45 PM
you've never heard of mike mayock?

umm, ok.

never heard him announce or at least didn't know it was him. i thought he was just another mel kiper jr that hypes college kids.

i just happened to have some spaghetti tonight. i haven't had it in ages.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
he is very well respected.

there are far worse announcers, that's for sure.

feltdizz
01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Please understand.... announcers have a job to do and it involves praising the players playing in the game they are watching.

When they say a player was blown up... he isn't in pieces on the ground.

When they say a player is playing lights out... it doesn't mean they turned out the lights.

When they say a player can go 0-60... they don't mean literally going 60 mph.

:wft Flippy? What were you doing in the foreground while this game was on? Did it involve drinking? :wink:

flippy
01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
he is very well respected.

there are far worse announcers, that's for sure.

I didn't listen to him past the Foster comment.

Shoe
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I've never heard him or knew who he was before so maybe he's great? but he seems to take praising players to a level i've never heard from even some of the worst announcers.

You never seen Monday Night Football?? Gruden is the biggest knob shiner I ever heard!
When we played the 49ers this year, he made Justin Smith sound like Merlin Olson or something (and he didn't even do much that game)!

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I love his contributions to the "Path to the Draft" shows on NFL Network. And besides, he was drafted by our Steelers (10th round in 1981...not as good as Bryan Hinkle in the 6th and David Little in the 7th that year, but still).

DukieBoy
01-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Please understand.... announcers have a job to do and it involves praising the players playing in the game they are watching.

When they say a player was blown up... he isn't in pieces on the ground.

When they say a player is playing lights out... it doesn't mean they turned out the lights.

When they say a player can go 0-60... they don't mean literally going 60 mph.

:wft Flippy? What were you doing in the foreground while this game was on? Did it involve drinking? :wink:

A bit too much "oregano" in that spaghetti, Flip ?

:wink: :Cheers

D Rock
01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
He may be knowledgeable, but he sucked today. I only had on the last 5 minutes of the game and he drove me crazy.

7 UP
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Mayock is one of my favorites. What he was trying to say is that, eventhough Foster dosent have the impressive 40 time, he has lights out acceleration. It was a figure of speech. I just said lights out, that dosent mean my lights are literally out. Dont take things so literally. Its football. Put the calculator down and grab a beer.

DukieBoy
01-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Mayock is one of my favorites. What he was trying to say is that, eventhough Foster dosent have the impressive 40 time, he has lights out acceleration. It was a figure of speech. I just said lights out, that dosent mean my lights are literally out. Dont take things so literally. Its football. Put the calculator down and grab a beer.

Apparently we are very literal here. Like Bones. Metaphors are colorful, but then the only true colors are black and gold (oh yeah, and white).

Now they are talking that the Broncos are putting in a Brady Quinn "package". I'm not sure what that means, but I am a bit concerned and confused by that. Can anyone clarify?

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Now they are talking that the Broncos are putting in a Brady Quinn "package". I'm not sure what that means, but I am a bit concerned and confused by that. Can anyone clarify?

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2007/05/medium_yipesbrady.jpg

Ghost
01-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Flip - you should give him another chance. I was in and out and finished the game at a tavern where I could not hear him, but typically he is very good and very informative. As others mentioned, there are much, much worse guys out there. I would have no issue if he was doing our game tomorrow.

sd steel
01-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I will start this by saying I hate all announcers, unless they are agreeing with what I think, or talking up a Steeler. That being said, Mayock is a good announcer who has the ability to break down a play and explain some of the intricacies of why it worked. He isn't Madden with the teleprompter and the "Boom" "Pow", he normallly points out the correct block that made a play successful or he will point out the backside route that the QB missed. I think the average football fan can learn from Mayock, and he doesn't seem to be rooting for any team. He is better than most.

ROLROC
01-07-2012, 11:21 PM

^^THIS

Hammond was clueless. At one point, he was listing off the list of injured Houston quarterbacks and kept saying "Shoop, Shoop, Shoop" then emphatically stated "Schaub!" How anyone that is supposed to be the play-by-play guy in a game involving Houston not know the QB names baffles me.

SteelCrazy
01-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth should be lumped into this arguement. They have to be the least knowledgeable, least emotional announcers in all the land! Chris should know his shiznit too. Well, maybe not. He was a Bungle

Snatch98
01-08-2012, 12:00 AM
I love Mayock. Easily my favorite in the business and that's by a long shot. He really knows his stuff and he's great during the draft. He obviously doesn't commentate often but when he does I've always enjoyed it. I dunno.

steelz09
01-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I didn't think he was so bad. Jaworski and Theisman are worse.

steelblood
01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Mayock is very good and knows the players very well. He does say the same things over and over and use the same phrasing. But, he sees the whole field and understands why plays work or don't.

Of the high profile announcers, Simms and Jaworski have to be the most irritating. Jaworski sounds like he just walked out of the Columbia School of Broadcasting. His delivery is so awful. Just talk like you normally do, moron. Simms speaks like a third grader. He loves to act like he has some nugget for us, but he rarely enhances the game for the viewer. And, he often does not comprehend what he sees or misquotes the NFL rulebook (as he did when Troy batted the ball against NE).

drprwnap
01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I've never heard him or knew who he was before so maybe he's great? but he seems to take praising players to a level i've never heard from even some of the worst announcers.

You never seen Monday Night Football?? Gruden is the biggest knob shiner I ever heard!
When we played the 49ers this year, he made Justin Smith sound like Merlin Olson or something (and he didn't even do much that game)!

+1
You hit the nail on the head, Shoe. The MNF crew is the WORST. I think it was the WV game where they were praising a receiver for catch that was a little difficult but one that every receiver that is on a college team that got a bowl bid would make. And then there's Jaws, who never saw a QB that wasn't fantastic. I really can't stand to watch a Monday night game.

Steelerphile
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I think you expected a lot of agreement to this thread because generally almost everyone agrees that the announcers "suck". Most announcers don't bug me. I like Mayock, Collingsworth, and Sims. I even used to like Beasley Reece who was just dehumanized by the venom directed at him.

steelz09
01-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I think Gruden is one of the best announcers MNF has had in recent memory.

Jaws on the other hand is annoying.

frankthetank1
01-08-2012, 12:02 PM
one of my close friends and i just had this conversation. he was saying how much he hated mayock. ive always loved mayock but i think a lot of why some dont like him is because he has a bit of a funny sounding voice. i think he is one of the most knowlegable commentators and always calls it how he sees it. i think jaws, collinsworth, theisman, randy cross, and dennis miller have to be the worst announcers ever. i dont know if dennis miller really counts but he was just awful. what a stupid expierement. id rather listen to tony cornheiser than miller and thats saying a lot

Iron Shiek
01-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I think you expected a lot of agreement to this thread because generally almost everyone agrees that the announcers "suck". Most announcers don't bug me. I like Mayock, Collingsworth, and Sims. I even used to like Beasley Reece who was just dehumanized by the venom directed at him.

Holy crap..Beasley Reece!! That dude used to pi$$ me off...i haven't heard his name in forever.

So yeah, announcers in general do suck in my mind. I used to hate Collinsworth, but i've turned towards liking his insight now. I just hate the blatant rooting/homerism for some guys. Not really former players (altough collinsworth tends to bug me at times), but guys like Nantz just wants every call to go in favor of the Cheaters. I can't stand that crap.

DukieBoy
01-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Favorite announcers: Hillgrove, Tunch, Wolf.
Still eligible: Gruden, Collinsworth, Aikman, Moose Johnston, Nessler
Ineligible: Nantz, Sims, Jaws, Tirico, Michaels, Buck

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 73180.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/starkey/s_773180.html)

DukieBoy
01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Nantz and Sims on the game today, pregame and already talking up Tebow. I'll be listening on-line to Hillgrove and Tunch, no matter if it syncs or not.

SidSmythe
01-08-2012, 05:19 PM
I think Mayock is excellent.
When it comes to college scouting and draft analysis he's amazing. why anyone would listen to Mel Kiper instead of Mayock is mind boggling