PDA

View Full Version : Can Troy Carry Us to SuperBowl #7?

flippy
01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
In recent years, when Troy's 100% and playing at the top of his game, we're competing for and winning SuperBowls.

When Troy isn't at the top of his game, we struggle.

I think it's a pretty good indicator that Troy's been making plays down the stretch - QB pressures, tackles behind the LOS, INTs, PDs, lot of tackles all over the field, and he's simply impacting the game in only the way he can. But it's clear, we're getting the best out of Troy down the stretch.

Just like there's hot teams, there's hot players. And we have a load of key injures going into the playoffs. And there's a lot of doubt about our team being able to compete for the Lombardi.

But we've got 43. And any time we have a healthy 43, we've got a shot at winning any game - actually a pretty good shot.

So the big question is this - can Troy carry us to #7?

Winning #7 might be the opportunity for Troy to cement himself as the best defensive player of any generation.

Of course, it's a team game and we need everything we can get out of the supporting cast on O, D, and ST. But I think this run could come down to what we get out of Polamalu.

If we get a string of game where Troy makes a lot of plays only Troy can make, I think we have a decent chance of eking out #7.

It's gonna be a tough road. And we don't matchup well against anyone with all of our injuries.

But no one matches up with Troy.

Can we do this?

I'm ready!!!!!!

Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn
01-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Best defensive player to ever play the game at any position...those are some big words. With that said, Troy is certainly in the running. Currently I think Lawrence Taylor is the best to ever play the game defensively. But, when healthy Troy is that kind of dominating...he is that kind of game changing.

flippy
01-07-2012, 11:58 AM
It's hard to compare players at different positions, but it's debateable who can make the biggest impact.

There's probably a list of 20 some players you'll be able to make the case for when current player careers end like:

DBs - Troy, Blount, Lott, Woodson, Reed, Sanders, Revis
LBs - LT, Harrison, Hamm, Butkus, Lambert, Lewis
DL - Mean Joe, Ngata, Suh, White, Smith, Willis

I'm sure I missed a couple guys and am premature on some of the modern players. But when I look at the best ever, I see many guys that have another guy that's right up there that does a lot of what another guy at their position did.

Except for 2 guys that played their positions very uniquely and those 2 would be Troy and Jack Hamm.

However you look at it, if Troy plays lights out and we get #7 this year, he's gonna have an even better case. And I'm hoping my case gets stronger :)

Shoe
01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Short answer = No he cannot

steelz09
01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
I think he can. But he can't do it alone. Obviously, our offense needs to score when we get into the redzone. That is key.

I've noticed the last few games, Troy has been on a tear. He's been all over the place and he just appears faster and fluid. Maybe he's finally 100% where in years past, this is the time of the year where he's not normally 100%.

SidSmythe
01-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Not sure about Carrying, but he's our only hope in turning this lack of turnovers around.

WOODLEY has to do his thing in the Playoffs (get hot and get at the QB) and Troy needs to be the one who comes up with the turnovers and crazy plays (ala leeping over the line to stop Flacco on a QB sneak).

The only teams that scare me are of course the Ravens ....other than that it's the Saints and Packers, but we won't have to worry about them for a while

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Troy started all 16 games for us this season. He had done this 3 times before.

2004: Steelers go 15-1 (including 13-0 with a rookie starting QB). New England beats us in the playoffs and goes on to win the Super Bowl...then they get caught cheating afterwards and never win another Super Bowl again.
2005: Steelers win Super Bowl XL.
2008: Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII.

Any questions?

JDSteeler
01-08-2012, 10:54 AM
What I havent seen much of lately is HITTING!!!

We need to be physical!!!!

If we can be physical, not turn the ball over, and play a smothering, dominating
style of defense...then we have a great chance...

When the Steelers have an opportunity to make a play....THEY MUST MAKE IT!!

That's the bottom line...

Let's go Steeelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2012, 04:14 PM
What I havent seen much of lately is HITTING!!!

We need to be physical!!!!

If we can be physical, not turn the ball over, and play a smothering, dominating
style of defense...then we have a great chance...

When the Steelers have an opportunity to make a play....THEY MUST MAKE IT!!

That's the bottom line...

Let's go Steeelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

Then half the team would be suspended for the Baltimore game next week. Remember, in Goodell's new NFL, hitting the other players hard is a big fat no-no. :roll:

grotonsteel
01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Troy started all 16 games for us this season. He had done this 3 times before.

2004: Steelers go 15-1 (including 13-0 with a rookie starting QB). New England beats us in the playoffs and goes on to win the Super Bowl...then they get caught cheating afterwards and never win another Super Bowl again.
2005: Steelers win Super Bowl XL.
2008: Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII.

Any questions?

:Clap :tt2