PDA

View Full Version : Arians on Ben; LeBeau on Timmons and Harrison

fordfixer
01-07-2012, 02:04 AM
Arians on Ben; LeBeau on Timmons and Harrison
January 5th, 2012
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/201 ... -harrison/ (http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/01/05/arians-on-ben-lebeau-on-timmons-and-harrison/)

Here are selected excerpts from Bruce Arians and Dick LeBeau’s weekly media sessions. I thought it was very interesting what LeBeau had to say about Lawrence Timmons and all he has done to hold an injury-ravaged defense together.

Arians on…

Whether Ben Roethlisberger suffered a setback last Sunday in Cleveland
“No, because he was moving well in the fourth quarter. He moved around and made some great throws on third downs. Adrenaline does a lot for you in a football game that you don’t have on Monday. When you wake up, the adrenaline is not there. I am sure it happened during the game. He thought it was some time in the third quarter. Adrenaline gets you through football games, especially tight ones like that one was.”

Whether Roethlisberger’s high-ankle sprain has hindered the offense
“I think field position has a lot to deal with it. We are gaining yards but we aren’t scoring. Our red zone offense has really slipped. The other night, the clock ran out. We had two more downs but we only had five seconds. There were times when we could have played better in the red zone and scored more points.”

Whether he can remember a season when he has dealt with so many injuries
“We are close to last year’s number but no. Last year we had more guys on the Reserve/Injured List. This year, it’s week-to-week and day-to-day injuries, and who can participate and who cannot. You just go with the flow. You take what is there and go with it.”

LeBeau on…

How the defense has played at a high level despite all of the injuries
“I think you have to give a great deal of the credit to Lawrence Timmons. He played about four different positions for us this year, that’s hard to do. Sometimes two or three of them in the same game, and that is really hard to do. He has been the guy that we have wheeled around as we have lost some of our players. I think the other factor is that they have all been in the same system, and they play it pretty well. The whole group has assimilated to each new guy as they came in there, and I am very proud of them.”

How James Harrison has evolved as a player
“James is one of our very, very best players. He has tremendous experience now. That is probably the biggest difference. He has always been a solid player. When he got that confidence, and the knowledge that he knew he was a dominate player, he has been a really strong producer for us, and I would say that that has been for seven or eight years. He is going to play good every week.”

Tim Tebow and the phenomenon spawned by his success
“It is pretty unusual what he has done. All of those games that they have won at the end, that is a testimony to their team, and their teams’ character and the character of the quarterback. But you look back to the guy’s career and he has been winning everywhere he has ever been, and that is why we have a lot of respect for him and you have to play four quarters and 60 minutes because he is going to keep coming. I think they have won six in a row, and five out of the six they came from really looking up a tree, but they won. I think that’s all you need to say. The guy is a winner.”

– Scott Brown

Discipline of Steel
01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Very, very strong endorsement of James Harrison from St. LeBeau. Couple that with Tomlin's opinion that he is the ultimate professional and we can see the organization has no desire to see him retire anytime soon. Id be willing to bet Jason Worilds, his heir apparent, is gone before he is.

winwithd
01-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Not so sure. I think Worilds has made good progress in his second year. Not a lot of splash plays, but has contributed and been solid. Deebo hasn't had as many splash plays as he has in the past either, although it is uncanny how his sacks seem to come at big moments. It is good to have the depth and even though Harrison is in great shape I could see a rotation develop as he ages to keep Deebo fresher for the big moments in the fourth quarters.

If we can find a replacement for Farrior (Sly, Ivy, or high draft pick) our LBS will be set for many years. In fact if we can find a couple of standout safeties and a NT in the next couple drafts, this defense should be top shelf for the next 7-8 years.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Harrison is poised for a big game on Sunday. Just got a feelin'. :D

Oviedo
01-07-2012, 10:36 AM

Woodley is the one who needs to step up if we have any chance in the play offs.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-07-2012, 10:43 AM

I'm afraid we won't see Woodley at full speed again this season. Hope I'm wrong.

Shoe
01-07-2012, 12:11 PM

I'm afraid we won't see Woodley at full speed again this season. Hope I'm wrong.

Yes, just forget about Woodley this year. That way, if he doesn't come back, no one will notice. If he does come back, it's a lift.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
“No, because he was moving well in the fourth quarter. He moved around and made some great throws on third downs. Adrenaline does a lot for you in a football game that you don’t have on Monday. When you wake up, the adrenaline is not there. I am sure it happened during the game. He thought it was some time in the third quarter. Adrenaline gets you through football games, especially tight ones like that one was.”

Is it just me, or did Arians totally contradict himself? First he said no, Ben didn't suffer a setback, but then said he was sure it happened during the game???

Steelers>NFL
01-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Is it just me, or did Arians totally contradict himself? First he said no, Ben didn't suffer a setback, but then said he was sure it happened during the game???
Everytime BA speaks, all I can think is STFU! He makes no sense at all.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-07-2012, 05:29 PM

The scary thing is, his speaking makes more sense than his play-calling.

Steelers>NFL
01-07-2012, 06:00 PM

The scary thing is, his speaking makes more sense than his play-calling.

By a hair though!