PDA

View Full Version : New England offensive coordinator to accept PSU coaching job

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2012, 12:22 PM
There is a possibility that we play New England next week (if we beat the Broncos and the Texans beat the Bengals). Although O'Brien plans to remain with NE as their O.C. for the remainder of the playoffs, he's bound to be distracted by the duties with his upcoming new job. Even better, if we beat the Broncos and Cincy beats Houston, this could make it more likely that the Bengals might be able to upset New England in the divisional round, meaning that we'd be able to host the AFC Championship game if we can beat Baltimore in the divisional round.

Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.
By Chris Mortensen, ESPN
Updated: January 5, 2012, 10:51 PM ET

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become the coach at Penn State, according to sources.

The Nittany Lions plan to make the move official with an announcement Saturday, the sources said.

Terms of the deal are unknown.

O'Brien will continue to serve as the Patriots' offensive coordinator for the rest of the season, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

O'Brien interviewed with Penn State on Thursday, his agent, Joe Linta, told The Associated Press.

In his first year coordinating the Patriots' high-scoring offense, O'Brien has also coached star quarterback Tom Brady since 2009. He spent 2008 coaching receivers.

O'Brien first joined New England in 2007 following 14 seasons on the collegiate level, including stops at Duke, Maryland and Georgia Tech. He played college football at Brown -- Joe Paterno's alma mater.

Paterno was fired two months ago in the aftermath of child sex abuse charges against retired defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. Paterno, Division I's winningest coach with 409 victories, coached 46 seasons before trustees ousted him Nov. 9.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7430206/bill-obrien-agrees-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-sources-say

Slapstick
01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't know about that...

The last time the Pats' lost an OC to a college job was the 2004-2005 season...the Pats won SB XXXIX...

Of course, they were still cheating at the time...

Steelers>NFL
01-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I could care less if he is coaching the offense when/if the Steelers play the Pats*...

But this really sours me on the hiring of this guy by PSU. Are you kidding me??? What in the blue hell has he ever done to warrant a job at PSU? Tickets will come cheap next season... ughhh!!!

Slapstick
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I thought for sure Mark Whipple would get a call...

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
PSU alum are PO'ed but you really have to wonder how many people said no to the job.

PSU is in a tough position because any PSU guy will be viewed as part of the PSU scandal.

I think this is a 3 year gig and then they go after a PSU guy once the scandal dies down.

SteelStallion
01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
PSU alum are PO'ed but you really have to wonder how many people said no to the job.

PSU is in a tough position because any PSU guy will be viewed as part of the PSU scandal.

I think this is a 3 year gig and then they go after a PSU guy once the scandal dies down.

I agree. I feel bad for the PSU alums but they have to be real. Their program is in pure survival mode right now and they're lucky to get get anyone with a resume to accept the job at this time.

flippy
01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I hope it F's up NE. But Brady's been through a zillion coordinators and seems to put up offense no matter who he's working with.

I do wonder why PSU Alumni were so upset. I dont get that. Why do they care? Did the want Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden due to their status? Would they have been happier with Franco or Ham since they're alums?

Oviedo
01-06-2012, 09:04 PM

I am a Penn State alum and the rest need to realize this football program has become an irrelavent middle of the road college program. Business as usual was not going to help them since they have habitually been behind Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa and now Michigan and Nebraska in the Big 10 hierarchy.

Hopefully this guy brings a high powered pro style offense to a program that needed one over a decade ago. A fresh look never hurts just like when the Rooney's make a coaching decision for the Steelers.

MeetJoeGreene
01-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I hope it F's up NE. But Brady's been through a zillion coordinators and seems to put up offense no matter who he's working with.

I do wonder why PSU Alumni were so upset. I dont get that. Why do they care? Did the want Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden due to their status? Would they have been happier with Franco or Ham since they're alums?

I am a PSU alum and am not upset.

I think he will bring at least a perceived cachet from being part of the Pats that hopefully will attract recruits.

Hopefully, he will bring a revamped offensive philosophy. (and fire JayPa). And keep either LJ and/or RV.

I never really heard of him that much... but he has my full support until he doesn't win.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Looks like the New England Cheetahs are prepared to bring back Josh McDaniels (whose contract as the O.C. with the Rams was terminated when St. Louis fired Spagnuolo) to replace O'Brien.

feltdizz
01-07-2012, 12:57 PM

I am a PSU alum and am not upset.

I think he will bring at least a perceived cachet from being part of the Pats that hopefully will attract recruits.

Hopefully, he will bring a revamped offensive philosophy. (and fire JayPa). And keep either LJ and/or RV.

I never really heard of him that much... but he has my full support until he doesn't win.

Patriot coaches haven't had success at the college level. The NFL and college are 2 different games when it comes to coaching.

I can't think of a Patriot coach who has had success once they left the Pats.