PDA

View Full Version : Denver's Game Plan

Keyplay1
01-06-2012, 08:24 AM
There is a lot of talk here about the game, but very little on things the Bronco's might do---or try to do. Here are some ideas their fans have.

Woody's Mailbag: The Broncos can beat the Steelers; here's how
What gameplan can get Tim Tebow? his first NFL playoff victory? All in.
Posted: 01/05/2012 01:00:00 AM MST
By Woody Paige?
The Denver Post

Denver Post sports columnist Woody Paige posts Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

Drop a question into Woody's Mailbag, or visit The Denver Post's Sports Page.

Woody... A big, strong quarterback with mobility who's tough to tackle. Ground-and-pound running game that wears down opponents. Defense that keeps the score low. We're talking about the Steelers. Isn't Pittsburgh the ideal model for what the Broncos want to do with Tim Tebow? Should EFX just straight copy what they're doing in Pitt, player-by-player? Can Denver be Steelers West? And what's your ideal gameplan for the Broncos this Sunday?
--Jesse, Denver

Let's start with the gameplan first. You may have read my interview with John Elway, which appeared Wednesday, in which he said Tim Tebow must "pull the trigger." That's the first, and foremost, thing the Broncos must do offensively. Tebow has played tentative and, I think, afraid to throw because of the interception issue.

What's the worst thing that can happen if he throws 50 yards down the field? It's intercepted. Like a punt. Tebow always has told me he is not interested in statistics. Well, let loose, Tim. Play as you did against Oklahoma in the BCS Championship. Throw as you did against the Texans last year (for 300 yards). Throw as you did against the Vikings this year. Throw with confidence. Throw before the wide receiver makes his break. Throw over the middle. What's the worst thing that will happen? The Broncos will lose to the Steelers, as they likely will, anyway.

Offensive coordinators have told me for more than 40 years that you get the quarterback into a rhythm right away by throwing three or four passes they're best at, they're comfortable with, and
Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. More photos. (Joe Mahoney, The Associated Press)
they can complete. The Broncos need to do that on the first series. Throw a screen, flip the ball to a back, throw a safe pass to Eddie Royal after he's gone in motion across the backfield. Get Tebow into the flow as a passer right away, and get his confidence level up.

How about a couple of bootleg plays? Mike Shanahan? used to have Jake Plummer? fake to the back and roll out and run. The other play that always worked for Shanahan was to send everyone left and have the quarterback roll out and throw to the tight end coming from the other side. Maybe Mike McCoy should look at a few of Shanahan's successful pass plays. I'd use Jerimiah Johnson more often. He does seem to catch the ball and can break some plays. Put him in the running back rotation instead of Lance Ball?.

I'd surprise Pittsburgh and open up with passing to set up the run. The Steelers? aren't expecting passes on first and second down. Well, you say, you give the Steelers more chances to score? Since Ben Rothlisberger got hurt, the Steelers aren't scoring, either. Without Mendenhall, they won't have a great running game, and Big Ben can't scramble around on that ankle. Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil? have to vary the rush, coming inside the tackles sometimes. I'd play Wesley Woodyard? more as a fourth linebacker and use six defensive backs in obvious passing situations. Go hard at Isaac Redman?. He fumbled twice last week. The defense needs turnovers to win this game.

The Broncos have to play
Submit a Question

* Pose your question for Woody.
* Browse the mailbag archive.
* Read the most recent column by The Denver Post's Woody Paige.

wild and crazy, in my opinion, and go for it. The crowd needs to get into it, from the get-go, and drown out the Steelers fans who will be out in force; probably about 20,000 or more because the wishy-washy Broncos fans will be capitalists and sell their tickets on the secondary market. The Broncos can't hold back anything. Dennis Allen says he is an aggressive defensive coordinator. Well, then, do it. Show us that New Orleans style of defense. Mike McCoy is trying to get a head coaching job. Well, then, show us more creativity. How about a handoff to a back out of the shotgun a couple of times, and a throwback to Tebow? How about Brady Quinn coming into the game for a couple of plays and throwing to Tebow in the slot?

As I've suggested, you've got nothing to lose but the game. But I sure wouldn't go down losing 7-3 again.

In regard to duplicating Pittsburgh: Last year before the Super Bowl, I looked at the rosters of both Green Bay and Pittsburgh. Combined, they had more than 40 starters who had been drafted by those two. So, the Broncos, in Elway's three-year game plan, need to get five starters each year from the draft. Count 'em up. Add those they already have, and the Broncos could have in their third year under Elway, two tight ends, seven or eight offensive lineman, two quarterbacks, a couple of running backs, three defensive tackles, three defensive ends, three or four linebackers and six-eight defensive backs who came out of the draft or were undrafted free agents.

Then you've got the defense Fox wants: safeties Bailey (after switching over), Moore, Carter and Bruton; corners Harris, Vaughn and Thompson; linebackers Miller, Nate Irving, Woodyard, defensive end Ayers and Dumervil; and uncertain tackles to go with the players they draft in the next two years. And, on offense, Tebow and the other quarterback drafted; wide receivers Decker, Thomas and whoever; tight ends Thomas and Green; offensive linemen Franklin, Walton, Beadles, Clady and Kuper and whoever else they draft; and running backs Johnson and a couple of picks from the draft.

But they've got to draft well. That's when you start being like Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

-----Anything sound familiar in there? Any comments?

BradshawsHairdresser
01-06-2012, 09:35 AM
My comment is, I think we could be in for a nail-biter this Sunday.

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 09:45 AM

I hate to say ti but I agree...

Not because Denver is good, we just find ways to make games against bad teams interesting and closer than they need to be.

Steeler Shades
01-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I think with their defense that Denver has a chance. Ben is not very good when confined to passing from the pocket and needing to make quick decisions. TOs from Ben could kill us....again. 8)

Ghost
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Not because Denver is good, we just find ways to make games against bad teams interesting and closer than they need to be.

Dead on! Game day chat should be interesting.

MeetJoeGreene
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
We have a way of enabling sucky QBs to have their breakout day and look like Joe Montana.

That is what I am afraid of this Sunday,

Oviedo
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM

The ulcers will be acting up for sure. This will be way closer than it needs to be and down to the wire.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-06-2012, 12:15 PM
What's the worst thing that can happen if he throws 50 yards down the field?

Can Tebow throw 50 yards? :lol:

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 12:50 PM

The made a good point on the radio this morning. They said Tebow gets so amped up before games he throws high early on...

Hopefully we can catch those awful passes but they are thrown so poorly it's hard for anyone to catch them.

Northern_Blitz
01-06-2012, 12:57 PM

I really do feel bad for the guy.

All he's tried to do is be humble, but the media has "made a statue" of him (in Ron Wilson parlance). They will enjoy tearing it down.

That being said, I hope he has a horrible game Sunday and we get smooth sailing into next week.

SteelStallion
01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I feel bad for Tebow too. I think there really is an anti-Christian bias against him.

But the way the media spins this as "Tebow has no chance," completely ignoring how severely injured the Steelers, it makes me feel like the "Vegas fix" is in. I could easily see the Steelers losing (due to health status).

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
[quote]What's the worst thing that can happen if he throws 50 yards down the field?

I really do feel bad for the guy.

All he's tried to do is be humble, but the media has "made a statue" of him (in Ron Wilson parlance). They will enjoy tearing it down.

That being said, I hope he has a horrible game Sunday and we get smooth sailing into next week.[/quote:3q2cgmp5]

I know what you mean... he seems like a nice guy and I like him as a person but a despise him as a football player due to the media.

I don't blame him for the media hype but I think he was a little naive with why they love him so much. He wanted to go to NYC for the draft like he was a top 15 pick.

I remember a report that some of the Denver players were mad when he was the 4th stringer and he was taking questions like he was the starter.

I don't blame him for taking advantage of the media buzz but imagine a guy like Kemo or Sean Mahan being a good guy at heart, humble, winner, etc... does that really make you feel better about their pass protection skills?

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I feel bad for Tebow too. I think there really is an anti-Christian bias against him.

But the way the media spins this as "Tebow has no chance," completely ignoring how severely injured the Steelers, it makes me feel like the "Vegas fix" is in. I could easily see the Steelers losing (due to health status).

There isn't an anit-Christian bias and that idea is exactly why people don't like him.

I could see if he was good/decent at QB but he is God awful as a QB(pun intended).

Some fans don't like great football players because they get too much media hype. Why is it such a shock that a below average QB with TONS of hype is getting hate from some fans?

Oviedo
01-06-2012, 02:05 PM

There isn't an anit-Christian bias and that idea is exactly why people don't like him.

I could see if he was good/decent at QB but he is God awful as a QB(pun intended).

Great football player... bad QB.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There is a huge part of those who hate him that have always hated him because he doesn't hide who he is and what he believes. They are just piling on and enjoying it because he is failing.

The kid never forced himself into the line up and he knows he wasn't ready but he is just doing his best and doing what was asked of him. The media creted the mania not Tebow.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Unless he can improve his passing, it's difficult to see Tebow as a long-term starter in the NFL, but could he find a niche somewhere as a RB/gadget player/backup QB?

Shawn
01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
I think this will be closer than 8 points. Pouncey questionable, Ben hobbled and Mendenhall out...not good. I think we squeek this one out but I don't expect it to be a blow out.

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM

Great football player... bad QB.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There is a huge part of those who hate him that have always hated him because he doesn't hide who he is and what he believes. They are just piling on and enjoying it because he is failing.

The kid never forced himself into the line up and he knows he wasn't ready but he is just doing his best and doing what was asked of him. The media creted the mania not Tebow.

That's simply not true Ovie...

A segment of fans will always hate an athlete who gets constant media hype from ESPN.

Some fans hate Tebow because they don't think he is worthy of the hype he is getting and then to top it off they get accused of being anti-Christian.

Why can't fans hate a player just because that's what fans do?

When a white fan doesn't like a black QB what's the first response? Racist...

It's no different with Tebow, it's not his faith, it's his lack of skills and the blanket of faith that his fans use to protect him from legit criticism or "hate" of him as a sports hero/figure.

shutout
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Best of luck to the Steelers this week. I think they will handle the Broncos. Ben was banged up earlier this season and threw for 5 (I think it was 5) touchdowns against the Titans.

I have always had respect for the Steelers ability to somehow find a way to win. Not to say I liked it when it caused the Ravens to lose..........but I still respect it.

TallyStiller
01-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Woody Paige said one thing I found interesting and a mite unsettling here... talked about the possibility that Denver comes out throwing to set up their run. I seem to remember that being the approach that finally got Bill Cowher's '05 team through the AFC playoffs - shock the entire h*ll out of your opponent by chucking it around and building a big early lead, then hang on for all you're worth late. Take a page out of our own book, have Tebow come out throwing when we're not looking for it, and they could make this very interesting.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Woody Paige said one thing I found interesting and a mite unsettling here... talked about the possibility that Denver comes out throwing to set up their run. I seem to remember that being the approach that finally got Bill Cowher's '05 team through the AFC playoffs - shock the entire h*ll out of your opponent by chucking it around and building a big early lead, then hang on for all you're worth late. Take a page out of our own book, have Tebow come out throwing when we're not looking for it, and they could make this very interesting.

If I was Fox, I'd try this. Go for broke--nobody expects you to win anyway.

Hope we're ready if that's how they approach it.

MaxAMillion
01-06-2012, 05:00 PM
If Denver is smart they will play for turnovers. Ben will certainly make them since he can't move. Strip him on sacks when he holds the ball or wait on int's. Also, Redman enters the game having fumbled twice. Keep trying to strip the ball.

Bottom line, the Steelers offense has completely bogged down since Ben's injury. He simply can't consistently read defenses and throw the ball on time. Ben holds it and makes a lot of plays on the run. Take that away and we are looking at another 13-10/17-13 game. Denver can pull that type of game out.

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
This would work if Tebow could throw. He gets better as the game goes on but he has been absolutely horrible at completing passes early on.

The only way they beat us is if we help them with turnovers and kick/miss FG's all day.

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 05:09 PM
If Denver is smart they will play for turnovers. Ben will certainly make them since he can't move. Strip him on sacks when he holds the ball or wait on int's. Also, Redman enters the game having fumbled twice. Keep trying to strip the ball.

Bottom line, the Steelers offense has completely bogged down since Ben's injury. He simply can't consistently read defenses and throw the ball on time. Ben holds it and makes a lot of plays on the run. Take that away and we are looking at another 13-10/17-13 game. Denver can pull that type of game out.

if they try to tackle the ball Redman could have some big runs... you can't arm tackle him and although he fumbled twice last week I don't think it's going to be an ongoing problem.

fordfixer
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Broncos' Brady Quinn routine normal despite Tebow's struggles
Posted: 01/06/2012 03:31:01 PM MST
Updated: 01/06/2012 03:41:21 PM MST
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19690080

Denver Broncos quarterback Brady Quinn throws a pass as quarterback Tim Tebow looks on during practice on Thursday at Dove Valley. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )
Blog: First-and-Orange

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and more on this blog dedicated to the Denver Broncos.

The Broncos' game plan against the Pittsburgh Steelers is set.

Tim Tebow will be their quarterback.

For some reason, this is news, even though Tebow has been the Broncos' starting quarterback the past 11 games, in which he's won seven. With Tebow, there always is news.

There has been speculation this week that after Tebow's back-to-back poor performances the past two games against the Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs — in which he committed six turnovers while posting a combined 27 .0 passer rating — Broncos coach John Fox might call on veteran backup Brady Quinn during the team's playoff game Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That speculation was fanned Friday when Pro Football Talk.com, citing an NFL source, reported Quinn "had been getting roughly half the first-team reps in practice this week."

Three Broncos team sources, however, said Quinn has not received any more practice reps than usual — which isn't many.

"The backup quarterback always gets reps," said a team source. ""It's no different this week. It's normal for the backup quarterback to get a few reps."

Quinn received zero reps — zero — during the first team's pivotal game-plan installation Wednesday, according to a team source. He took two first-team reps Friday — which isn't unusual.

Just because there are no plans for the Broncos to play anybody but Tebow at quarterback, though, doesn't mean plans won't change.

Fox has demonstrated several times this year that if a player isn't getting a job done, that player will be benched.

Just last week, linebacker Von Miller — one of the top candidates for NFL defensive rookie of the year — was benched in favor of Mario Haggan after the first quarter.

Tebow first went in at halftime of the San Diego Chargers game on Oct. 9 after Kyle Orton was ineffective in the first half.

Most distressing about Tebow's play of late has been his turnovers. In his first eight starts, Tebow lost three fumbles and threw two interceptions. In his past three games, all losses, Tebow has lost three fumbles and thrown four interceptions.

hawaiiansteel
01-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Source: Brady Quinn gets some first-team snaps in practice

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/quinn.jpg?w=2509

Earlier this week, Rodney Harrison questioned my sanity and/or sobriety when I suggested, both in our weekly One-on-One segment and on NBC SportsTalk, that the Broncos should get quarterback Brady Quinn ready to play, in the event that starter Tim Tebow continues to play like he has played in the last three games he has played.

Apparently, Rodney also needs to question the sanity and/or sobriety of Broncos coach John Fox and/or Broncos V.P. of football operations John Elway. Per a league source, Quinn has been getting roughly half the first-team reps in practice this week.

It’s unknown whether Quinn actually will play on Sunday against Pittsburgh, either as a replacement for Tebow (if he fails to “pull the trigger”) or an unexpected change-of-pace insertion. Either way, the use of Quinn could throw a wrench into the Steelers’ Tebow-specific game plan.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -practice/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/source-brady-quinn-gets-some-first-team-snaps-in-practice/)

BradshawsHairdresser
01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Source: Brady Quinn gets some first-team snaps in practice

Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/quinn.jpg?w=2509

Earlier this week, Rodney Harrison questioned my sanity and/or sobriety when I suggested, both in our weekly One-on-One segment and on NBC SportsTalk, that the Broncos should get quarterback Brady Quinn ready to play, in the event that starter Tim Tebow continues to play like he has played in the last three games he has played.

Apparently, Rodney also needs to question the sanity and/or sobriety of Broncos coach John Fox and/or Broncos V.P. of football operations John Elway. Per a league source, Quinn has been getting roughly half the first-team reps in practice this week.

It’s unknown whether Quinn actually will play on Sunday against Pittsburgh, either as a replacement for Tebow (if he fails to “pull the trigger”) or an unexpected change-of-pace insertion. Either way, the use of Quinn could throw a wrench into the Steelers’ Tebow-specific game plan.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -practice/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/source-brady-quinn-gets-some-first-team-snaps-in-practice/)

I would think LeBeau could adjust his game plan if Quinn came in. He's faced Brady before, and had pretty good success, IIRC. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SteelStallion
01-08-2012, 06:47 PM
This is what I meant by "the fix is in." The national media grossly overhyped the Steelers while not discussing all the injuries that the locals are all too familiar with. And now the questionable refereeing. Heavy money was on Steelers even with the 8.5. Vegas may rack up.