PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Earning His Paycheck

phillyesq
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
And lets hope that this is all he does to earn his paycheck this week:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/01/04/steelers-secret-weapon-qb-dennis-dixon/11583/

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he is glad that he has back-up quarterback Dennis Dixon to imitate the Broncos’ Tim Tebow in practice this week.

Dixon played an option-like offense at Oregon and, ironically, was thought to be the leading Heisman candidate in 2007, the year Tebow won it, until Dixon suffered a knee injury late in the season.

“We prepare for (the option) during the off-season,” Tomlin said Wednesday, when asked about Tebow. “because in the National Football League we understand where this game could have gone and could go. We’ve been looking at it now for the last several years.

“That’s one of the reasons why we acquired a guy like Dennis Dixon with that skill set. He played at Oregon in a spread attack, or a spread-read attack. We’ve always had a package of plays like that.

“In turn,” Tomlin added, “our defense has also experienced the benefit of looking at some of those things and preparing for it.”

ikestops85
01-05-2012, 12:48 PM

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/01/04/steelers-secret-weapon-qb-dennis-dixon/11583/

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he is glad that he has back-up quarterback Dennis Dixon to imitate the Broncos’ Tim Tebow in practice this week.

Dixon played an option-like offense at Oregon and, ironically, was thought to be the leading Heisman candidate in 2007, the year Tebow won it, until Dixon suffered a knee injury late in the season.

“We prepare for (the option) during the off-season,” Tomlin said Wednesday, when asked about Tebow. “because in the National Football League we understand where this game could have gone and could go. We’ve been looking at it now for the last several years.

“That’s one of the reasons why we acquired a guy like Dennis Dixon with that skill set. He played at Oregon in a spread attack, or a spread-read attack. We’ve always had a package of plays like that.

“In turn,” Tomlin added, “our defense has also experienced the benefit of looking at some of those things and preparing for it.”

I wish they would let Dixon run some of those plays from that package in a game. It's stupid for us to have a guy with the talent Dixon does and then just let him languish on the bench. He may not be a good passer but I think he has the talent level of a Cribbs.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM

I wish they would let Dixon run some of those plays from that package in a game. It's stupid for us to have a guy with the talent Dixon does and then just let him languish on the bench. He may not be a good passer but I think he has the talent level of a Cribbs.

Especially through Ben's injury. Using him in San Fran, a couple of plays when Batch played against the Rams, or even a few plays against the Browns last week. Just to throw a Kordell slash type wrinkle at them.

Chavezz
01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Creativity? Bah humbug!

NorthCoast
01-05-2012, 07:18 PM

this would require an OC to actually do a little work to design plays..... the Steelers don't seem to have one of those on staff....

winwithd
01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Creativity? How about utilizing the talent on the roster? It doesn't take a genius.

Since Dixon is practicing it this week anyway, why not throw it into the game plan. Maybe that is our secret weapon for the Rats or Patsies next week.

I wonder what made them think it was the future of the NFL enough to use a 5th round pick on him. And if that is why you got him, then why not let him run more when he did get to play. Something about all of that doesn't sound right to me.

Discipline of Steel
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I like this thread. I do believe Dixon has unutilized talents and im actually happy with him as a backup. He actually did pretty well at the beginning of last year before his injury.

Chavezz
01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
The point that the coaching staff would always make was that they were afraid that he was too skinny and would get hurt. I don't buy it but I know it's been said several times.

Oviedo
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
The first paycheck that Dixon will legitimately earn is the first one he gets as a non football player. Any one he gets from the Steelers is a case of getting paid for committing fraud.

MaxAMillion
01-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Especially through Ben's injury. Using him in San Fran, a couple of plays when Batch played against the Rams, or even a few plays against the Browns last week. Just to throw a Kordell slash type wrinkle at them.

It sounds great until Dixon fumbles and then Arians is an idiot for introducing Dixon in a game when he hasn't been playing. Every idea sounds great until it is implemented and then fails.

Starting Ben against the Niners was a bad idea according to some, but when Ben and the offense drove right down the field and into the red zone on the first drive against the Niners, you would not have had one person admit that Ben should be on the bench.

feltdizz
01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
True..

I could see if Lefty or Batch was the starting QB but why would any coach take the ball out of Ben's hands for Dixon?

ikestops85
01-06-2012, 05:43 PM
True..

I could see if Lefty or Batch was the starting QB but why would any coach take the ball out of Ben's hands for Dixon?

Ummm, to run the ball. I think Ben is great also but adding a little spice to this offense would save some wear and tear on Ben's body.

steelz09
01-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Dixon isn't earning anything... it's time to move on and draft a QB that can throw. He's not a good backup and never will be.

Stop wasting time already and move on.