PDA

View Full Version : Happy 80th birthday Chaz Noll!

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Hard to believe, but the Emperor turns 80 today. :Cheers

SteelBucks
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Happy Birthday Coach Noll! :Beer

BradshawsHairdresser
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Greatest coach in the history of the franchise, and one of the greatest in NFL history, IMO.

lambertslunatics
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
:tt1 :tt2 :tt1

Happy bday to Noll, it's a shame that he has been in bad health recently (bad back?) would love to see him show up once a year maybe in the preseason.

Very few NFL fans realize that Noll is the all time winningest coach in the Super Bowl, even with the 49ers, Cowboys and Patriots dynasties no other coach has ever won Noll's 4 or more. Noll is also tied with Shula with the most AFC Championship Game appearances (7).

Noll also was on the sidelines for probably the best super bowl ever, Super Bowl III Jets-Colts, as an D-Coordinator to head coach Shula, with Beaver Falls Namath, Mt. Washington Unitas, Beaver Falls Parilli (backup QB for Namath), city native Tom Matte and former Steelers Emmerson Boozer and Jimmy Orr.

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
“The key to a winning season is focusing on one opponent at a time. Winning one week at a time. Never look back and never look ahead.”

“A life of frustration is inevitable for any coach whose main enjoyment is winning.”

“Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.”

“Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 260-pound tackles. They'll give me plenty of wisdom.”

Chuck Noll quotes

http://www.steelersuk.com/steelers/coaches/1975-noll-media-600.jpg

Starlifter
01-05-2012, 03:49 PM
“Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 260-pound tackles. They'll give me plenty of wisdom.”

talk about how times have changed. now we have 260 lb RB's, TE's and QB's.........

lambertslunatics
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
^^^You left out the 3 most impactfull quotes ever from Noll

1977 after meeting the Raiders five straight times in the playoffs: "They represent a criminal element" (got sued in Federal Court over it and get this . . . went to trial, neither side agreed to settle)

1983: Franco? Franco Who?

Also in 1983, "Dan Marino? I'll pass, I think this kid Gabe Rivera (who?) is going to be Pro-Bowl, All-Pro, Hall of Fame material"

Noll was the best coach ever, too bad he quit 10 years too late though, should have stopped while he was on top 1981ish.

SteelBucks
01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Also in 1983, "Dan Marino? I'll pass, I think this kid Gabe Rivera (who?) is going to be Pro-Bowl, All-Pro, Hall of Fame material"

We should never have passed on Marino but Rivera was excellent in college and during the first few games with the Steelers. We'll never know how good he could have been after his car accident during his rookie year. He was paralyzed from the chest down.

lambertslunatics
01-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Senor Sack was good, I don't have a beef with picking apple v apple but Marino was hometown, the Steelers needed a qb, and Noll's justification years later was that he was taking the 1969 approach again since that worked out so well, getting defensive studs first (but the league with the Mel Blount rule, advent of the west-coast offense and expansion watering down talent etc. had CHANGED BIG TIME).

I still think some never have forgiven Noll for the "Franco Who?" line the season he was projected to become the all-time leading rusher.