PDA

View Full Version : Ben Suffers Setback but Will Play

SteelBucks
01-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Roethlisberger suffered setback on injured ankle, will play vs. Denver
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ben Roethlisberger suffered a setback with his high ankle sprain early during the third quarter of Sunday's game against Cleveland, but said he will play against Denver in the AFC wild-card game.

"I felt really good going into the Cleveland game," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if I caught it on the ground wrong or got hit ... we'll see, we'll be alright."

Roethlisberger had a noticeable limp today something he didn't have going into the Browns' game.

"We are working really hard with the doctors and trainers to get back to even where we were before the Cleveland game," Roethlisberger said. "I felt pretty good going in, and even moved a little bit at the beginning of that game."

Roethlisberger hasn't thrown a touchdown in pass in two games since injuring his ankle against the Browns on Dec. 8.

Since his injury, Roethlisberger has had two of his four worst passer ratings this season.

Read more: Roethlisberger suffered setback on injured ankle, will play vs. Denver - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburght ... z1iW2SdmvX (http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_774979.html#ixzz1iW2SdmvX)

flippy
01-04-2012, 02:59 PM
He needs to get in Hines' chamber.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Sorry, but it was stupid he played the Browns game.

JAR
01-04-2012, 03:18 PM

With the number two seed on the line?

papillon
01-04-2012, 03:21 PM

Yes it was; absolutely no reason to play the game with the playoffs looming and the chances of enhancing their position rested with the Ravens and not the Steelers. I didn't understand the point of it. If the Steelers winning was all that was necessary then, by all means, play and secure the bye week. As it was, the Steelers were at the mercy of the Ravens and he should have sat.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
We were in the playoffs already and needed cincy to beat the ravens. Not like all we had to do was win. Batch just hung 27 on one crappy team so why wouldn't he be able to do the same to the Browns? So now by playing him just to move up in seeding he is hobbled with no break in sight. We sit him vs. the Browns and he would of been heading into the playoffs with a nice break....if he felt real good heading into that game maybe it is fully healed by kickoff in Denver.

frankthetank1
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM

With the number two seed on the line?

i also thought it was stupid to play ben. im sure they would have beaten the browns with batch at qb. even if they had lost it was a meaningless game. i had zero confidence that cincy was going to beat the ravens. number 2 seed doesnt even matter if ben cant play in the playoffs. now we are really screwed and will be lucky if they beat the broncos

Steelers>NFL
01-04-2012, 03:25 PM

X2 :wft

Jooser
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Ben's seeming lack of accuracy the past couple of games that he has played in comes from not only his sore ankle and his inability to put weight on the foot, but also comes from lack of practice time because he's trying to rehab the ankle. A set back means less practice time this week for him and he'll continue to struggle in his timing and accuracy....in my humble opinion.

flippy
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Do we even need Ben to beat the Broncos?

JAR
01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
We were in the playoffs already and needed cincy to beat the ravens. Not like all we had to do was win. Batch just hung 27 on one crappy team so why wouldn't he be able to do the same to the Browns? So now by playing him just to move up in seeding he is hobbled with no break in sight. We sit him vs. the Browns and he would of been heading into the playoffs with a nice break....if he felt real good heading into that game maybe it is fully healed by kickoff in Denver.

Cincy was one blatent PI that wasn't called from only needing the 2 point conversion to tie the game. You just don't throw the possibility of a number two seed away. That's a week off and a home game, huge advantage.

Cleveland has a top 10 D, was at home and was playing their SB, you go with your best chance to win and that's Ben.

frankthetank1
01-04-2012, 03:40 PM

yes we do. without a healthy ben this offense struggles to score points even more. not only does his injury prevent him from practicing much but it also kills his mobility which is ben's game. they barely beat the browns and ben said his ankle was much better going into the game then it is now. who knows what will happen now against a better team

Slapstick
01-04-2012, 03:43 PM
He should have played against the Browns and I'm glad he did...

phillyesq
01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Cincy was one blatent PI that wasn't called from only needing the 2 point conversion to tie the game. You just don't throw the possibility of a number two seed away. That's a week off and a home game, huge advantage.

Cleveland has a top 10 D, was at home and was playing their SB, you go with your best chance to win and that's Ben.

:Agree

papillon
01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

That's a d@mn good question, probably not is my guess, but you know there is no way Ben sits.

Pappy

papillon
01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
He should have played against the Browns and I'm glad he did...

I'm curious why he should have played? There is more to lose than there is to gain. The #2 seed at the cost of the only hope the Steelers have of getting to the Super Bowl doesn't equate.

There were two ways to get Ben a bye week and one was guaranteed, they should have taken it. They gambled and lost and not only that, but they may have damaged their ability to progress deep into the playoffs trying to improve their seeding.

Pappy

MaxAMillion
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I can promise that Tomlin would have been criticized if the team lost the two seed because Ben did not play. Ben and the doctors said that he was improving and that there would be swelling in the ankle for weeks to come no matter what. At that point I would have played him as well. He could take a false step this week and have the same problem.

Everybody always knows what to do after the fact. Except when they are wrong they go quiet.

JAR
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
I can promise that Tomlin would have been criticized if the team lost the two seed because Ben did not play. Ben and the doctors said that he was improving and that there would be swelling in the ankle for weeks to come no matter what. At that point I would have played him as well. He could take a false step this week and have the same problem.

Everybody always knows what to do after the fact. Except when they are wrong they go quiet.

Imagine the board had the Bengals won, but the Steelers lost playing Batch.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
if you guys think we can beat denver with batch at qb, then you are seriously underestimating the broncos.

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
A hobbled Ben isn't the best option to win a Steeler game. I know you guys think Ben is the ultimate but when he doesn't practice all week it shows on the field.

Do you really think we would have scored 27 points vs the Rams with Ben? I don't. I think it would've been another squeaker because Ben is throwing INT's at a high rate in the red zone.

I hope he is on this week but I wouldn't be surprised of he struggles again.

Our D wins games not our offense....

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
if you guys think we can beat denver with batch at qb, then you are seriously underestimating the broncos.

I think you are seriously overestimating the Bronco's.

I think we would have an easier time winning with Batch... Ben isn't the best QB when he doesn't get reps in practice.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
road playoffs games are never easy.

this is not going to be a pushover.

phillyesq
01-04-2012, 04:35 PM

The Steelers can, and should, beat the Broncos. But, if the Steelers overlook the Broncos or allow them to stick in the game and fail to put them away, the Broncos could pull out a victory.

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 04:42 PM

The Steelers can, and should, beat the Broncos. But, if the Steelers overlook the Broncos or allow them to stick in the game and fail to put them away, the Broncos could pull out a victory.

true... but that goes for any team in the playoffs.

I don't think anyone here is overlooking or underestimating the Bronco's we are just calling them what they are.... a lousy football team.

As long as we don't play down to them we should win easily.

Steelers>NFL
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM

I don't think anyone here is overlooking or underestimating the Bronco's we are just calling them what they are.... a lousy football team.

Steelers always play to opponents level, whether high or low. And they will NOT win easily.
This game will be very close.

Eich
01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Cincy was one blatent PI that wasn't called from only needing the 2 point conversion to tie the game.

I didn't watch much of that game but I did see that play. The Bungles should be FUMING over that non-call. I was fuming! The Rats have been winning games all season getting huge chunks of yardage with less blatant pass interference calls.

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Cincy was one blatent PI that wasn't called from only needing the 2 point conversion to tie the game.

I didn't watch much of that game but I did see that play. The Bungles should be FUMING over that non-call. I was fuming! The Rats have been winning games all season getting huge chunks of yardage with less blatant pass interference calls.

gotta earn those stripes before you get those calls. The NFL is like the NBA now....

I watched a Saints TE make a nice one handed grab while pushing off on the defenders face mask with his free hand. A few weeks earlier I watched Burelson from Detroit get 3 offensive PI flags for no reason at all.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Graham-One-Handed-Stiff-Arm-Catch-628x348.jpg

don't get me wrong, it was a great catch but how is that not a push off or facemask?

here is the slow mow video
http://www.nflrush.com/buzz/gamehighlights/7993

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2012, 05:05 PM

sure sounds like you are if you think we could win with charlie batch.

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
sure sounds like you are if you think we could win with charlie batch.

Batch isn't as bad as people make him out to be when he gets a full week with the first team...

..and Ben isn't as good as people make him out to be when he doesn't practice all week and is hobbled by an injury.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2012, 05:09 PM
batch is awful.

get real.

sd steel
01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Ben is a drama queen. His ankle is only a 5, was it a -2 when he finished the first Browns game? I saw the play in the 3rd quarter and he didn't get touched on the play. He is just trying to excuse any bad performance in Denver while at the same time setting himself up to be the hurt hero if we win. He played better after he hurt it worse last week.

JAR
01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Tomlin says he's OK. Looks like more media hype... like they're looking for a Ben is a drama queen story, again.

Tomlin said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has not experienced any setbacks as he works his way through a high-ankle sprain. Roethlisberger played the entire way in Cleveland after sitting out the Steelers' 27-0 win over the St. Louis Rams on Dec. 24.

Steelgal
01-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm not saying Ben didn't reinjure his ankle, but I think some of this is him being a drama-queen. He has that tendency. Got a tweet earlier stating Ben was limping more visibly through the locker room today while ESPN was there :lol: The guy does play through more injuries than just about any other QB, but I think some of it is for show....

williar
01-04-2012, 05:42 PM
A hobbled Ben isn't the best option to win a Steeler game. I know you guys think Ben is the ultimate but when he doesn't practice all week it shows on the field.

Do you really think we would have scored 27 points vs the Rams with Ben? I don't. I think it would've been another squeaker because Ben is throwing INT's at a high rate in the red zone.

I hope he is on this week but I wouldn't be surprised of he struggles again.

Our D wins games not our offense....

Amen!!! I was wondering when some common sense would show up here.

williar
01-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Ben is a drama queen. His ankle is only a 5, was it a -2 when he finished the first Browns game? I saw the play in the 3rd quarter and he didn't get touched on the play. He is just trying to excuse any bad performance in Denver while at the same time setting himself up to be the hurt hero if we win. He played better after he hurt it worse last week.

WOW!! I think we're on to something here.

williar
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I am truly amazed at so many fans still fall for Ben's drama queen ways. He's been pulling this act for so many years. Now I understand why. Only Ben can pull this kind of drama knowing he can get away with it..

I even more amazed at how many fans think we can't win a game without Ben. If you look at the games the backups have started or played in Ben's absence, I think you might be impressed.... If Ben is as hurt or injured as he is implying, than please my brother, don't play. Don't hurt the team. Because from what I have seen of your play when you have an excuse to suck, Tim Tebow will be laughing....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Ben's seeming lack of accuracy the past couple of games that he has played in comes from not only his sore ankle and his inability to put weight on the foot, but also comes from lack of practice time because he's trying to rehab the ankle. A set back means less practice time this week for him and he'll continue to struggle in his timing and accuracy....in my humble opinion.

And doesn't he also still have the thumb injury?

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not getting into the drama queen stuff but too many fans give Ben a pass due to his injury.

I'm not saying Batch is better than Ben but last year we went 3-1 without him and damn near everyone on here was saying 0-4.

We put up 13 points vs the Browns 2 times and 13 vs KC.

Now, how in the hell is Ben sooooo muuch better then a healthy Batch?
If we struggle early are fans content losing to Denver because Ben was injured or do we pull him at halftime?

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
If we struggle early are fans content losing to Denver because Ben was injured or do we pull him at halftime?

If you have to ask that question, I honestly don't know what to say.

we roll with roethlisberger and I am completely fine with that, win or lose.

DukieBoy
01-04-2012, 07:34 PM
They might just as well paint a big fat target on that ankle. There is no way Denver won't be gunning for that ankle, whether on the pass rush, or piling on, or twisting it up in the scrum. And if it's cold in Denver it will be worse. I'm thinking Ben won't last the game.

My wish is he gets through unscathed and we win big and put it away early.
If wishes were airplanes I'd be flying to the islands right now.

fezziwig
01-04-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm going to get blasted for this probably but, in the back of my mind I thought it was a bad idea for Ben to play in the niners game. I understand all the reasons for him playing with especially Ben seems to do really well when banged up but, I just figured if Batch was getting killed then, put Ben in there.

I agree, Ben should not have played in the Browns game since we already made the playoffs but again, I understand the reasoning behind it.

Any word on Woodley ? Will he play will he not play ? Any percentage of his health ?
To me, they might as well let Woodley fully recover because it really doesn't matter. If he isn't healthy why make things worse. Woodley isn't going to be in shape anyway because from all I hear with the hamstring injuries you get totally out of shape because your not capable of doing any conditioning.
I'd rather see him getting back in shape for our next playoff game or our last playoff game before the Super Bowl.

williar
01-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Unfortunately, that is the sentiment of Roethlisberger fans. I hope that is not the case of STEELER fans.

In The Roethlisberger fans mind. Only Ben is capable and worthy of winning us a game.

I agree with those who would rather see a healthy CB over a hobbled BR any day. I'd rather win, as oppose to making BR feel like a hero... I don't want to see a hobbled Ben get sacked 15 times while trying to lob wounded-goose passes into triple coverage.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Unfortunately, that is the sentiment of Roethlisberger fans. I hope that is not the case of STEELER fans.

In The Roethlisberger fans mind. Only Ben is capable and worthy of winning us a game.

I agree with those who would rather see a healthy CB over a hobbled BR any day. I'd rather win, as oppose to making BR feel like a hero... I don't want to see a hobbled Ben get sacked 15 times while trying to lob wounded-goose passes into triple coverage.

you don't know me so stop acting like you do.

this is 38 year old CHARLIE FREAKING BATCH you guys are talking about winning a road playoff game.

hilarious.

the rest of your nonsense is pure hyperbole, nothing more.

williar
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
[quote=feltdizz]

you don't know me so stop acting like you do.

this is 38 year old CHARLIE FREAKING BATCH you guys are talking about winning a road playoff game.

hilarious.

the rest of your nonsense is pure hyperbole, nothing more.[/quote:1bi6ge8c]

Don't get offended...... I'm just reading and typing..... Nothing more....

Eddie Spaghetti
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
not offended, just laughing my ass off.

the charlie batch love is ridiculous.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
batch is awful.

get real.

No, he isn't awful. He's serviceable. Batch at 100% > than Ben at 50-60%, IMO.

No matter how you look at it, I think we can agree that it is important for Isaac Redman to have a good game vs. Denver. With Ben not up to par (or if Charlie has to come in),
we are going to need to lean more heavily on our running game.

fezziwig
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM
batch is awful.

get real.

No, he isn't awful. He's serviceable. Batch at 100% > than Ben at 50-60%, IMO.

No matter how you look at it, I think we can agree that it is important for Isaac Redman to have a good game vs. Denver. With Ben not up to par (or if Charlie has to come in),
we are going to need to lean more heavily on our running game.

I thought that way too during the niners game and the Browns game but Arians has Ben airing it out almost the intire time.
To me in the niners game we were doing very well with the run but then Arian gets away from it.

Ben throws 40 times against the Browns, one of the worse run defenses in the league if not the worse.

I have no faith in a correctly called game.

pittpete
01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Don't worry guys BA has Ben working on those fade routes in practice---gonna be a blowout :wink:

BradshawsHairdresser
01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Don't worry guys BA has Ben working on those fade routes in practice---gonna be a blowout :wink:

:lol:
Fade routes to smurf receivers in the end zone...how many of those have we seen lately?
And how many of them have worked?

BA = red zone inefficiency.

phillyesq
01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Dale Lolley makes a good point as to why playing Ben in Cleveland was the right move:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2012/01/wednesday-news-and-notes.html#links

Ben Roethlisberger announced to the world today that he had suffered a "setback" in Sunday's 13-9 win at Cleveland.

Roethlisberger said the setback put him back a week in his recovery from a high ankle sprain. Even at that, however, playing Roethlisberger in Cleveland was the right move for Mike Tomlin to make.

Here's why:

Had Roethlisberger sat out the game against the Browns, he would have gone into Sunday's game at Denver not having played in three weeks.

That's too much inactivity and the Steelers may not have been able to handle the quarter or half it took for Roethlisberger to shake off the cobwebs.

In addition, had the Steelers started Charlie Batch and lost at Cleveland - and Cincinnati had beaten Baltimore the Steelers would have looked pretty silly for not starting Roethlisberger, who was feeling good before the game against the Browns.

As it is, Roethlisberger said he feels as good now as he did prior to the game against St. Louis. That's better than he felt before the game at San Francisco.

There's an undercurrent in the Pittsburgh locker room that Tim Tebow is getting too much attention this week.

Nobody is going to come right out and say it, but it's there if you read between the lines.

The Steelers feel like the Broncos defense has been winning games for the Broncos, not Tebow. They'll get a chance to end the Tebow mystique on Sunday.

Isaac Redman said he's going to be a full-time back this week, playing all three downs.

That will change some next week if Mewelde Moore gets back, but rookie John Clay isn't going to help on third down at all.

And the Steelers will need Redman's third-down blocking as much as anything to help slow Denver's pass rush.

Oviedo
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
When will everyone quit reacting to anything Ben says and realize how much he loves to jerk the media around? Not to mention create angst among the fans.

You can't believe one-tenth of what Ben says unless Mike Tomlin says the exact same thing and even then I would have my doubts because I think Tomlin likes to play with the media too.

I wouldn't be surprised if on Sunday Ben collapses on the field in agony and then gets up and runs for two TDs. I'm sure he is hurt but Ben always plays hurt.

It is the other injuries to guys like Pouncey (ankle), Legursky (shoulder),Troy (calf), Kiesel (groin), Woodley (hammy), Harrison (toe), Mendenhall (ACL), etc that will likely doom this playoff run to no more than a two game appearance.

feltdizz
01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Drama Que..... :stirpot

The real question is why the heck is Ben wearing a different color shoe like a kicker? It's like he is begging the other team to hit his ankle.

phillyesq
01-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Drama Que..... :stirpot

The real question is why the heck is Ben wearing a different color shoe like a kicker? It's like he is begging the other team to hit his ankle.

It's an odd combination, but he seems to be part tough guy and part drama queen .

Oviedo
01-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that Ben's left shoe was specially made to include an internal support to help with restricting his movement. They probably just made it one color because Ben probably has several colors of different shoes anyway.

I really don't think Ben is a drama queen, I just think he has fun jerking people around and seeing how they react and what they say. He is more mischevious thsan drama queen.

JAR
01-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that Ben's left shoe was specially made to include an internal support to help with restricting his movement. They probably just made it one color because Ben probably has several colors of different shoes anyway.

I really don't think Ben is a drama queen, I just think he has fun jerking people around and seeing how they react and what they say. He is more mischevious thsan drama queen.

An article yesterday said that Ben started limping more when he saw the ESPN crew. Of course he's messing with the media, why wouldn't he? After they killed him over GA, he should just be flipping them all off.

A lot of Steelers fans are the ones who are drama queens.

williar
01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Call it what you will. I have never heard a player advertise and talk up every detail of his injuries more than Ben does. I mean, why even mention you had a "setback" if you feel it's insignificant and shouldn't bother you.

Again, I don't believe that a truly injured player who can't execute properly is doing his team any favors by taking away an opportunity from a healthy player who can come in and contribute. Isn't that what back ups are for? If a coach doesn't trust his back up to at least "hold-down" the position for a game or two, than why are they on the team.

As for Ben, I really like the guy. I don't always like or trust the way he plays. I appreciate his toughness. I don't believe his injuries are that serious. He's just not going to let us know that. If he goes out and wets the bed, well, there is your excuse....

hawaiiansteel
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
An article yesterday said that Ben started limping more when he saw the ESPN crew. Of course he's messing with the media, why wouldn't he? After they killed him over GA, he should just be flipping them all off.

hey Jar, cool pic in your sig... :Cheers

JAR
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Thanks... can't even remember where I found it.. :Beer

JAR
01-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Thanks... can't even remember where I found it.. :Beer

Here it is... https://www.compressmerch.com/merch/Scripts/default.asp

feltdizz
01-05-2012, 04:15 PM

The Family Guy ouch, ahhh, ahhhh , ahhh, ahhhhhh for 45 seconds in warm ups before every playoff game is old....

We get it, we watched it, we see it on ESPN and NFLN every segment... there is no reason to fake how bad the injury is because EVERYONE knows how tough he is....