PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is Aaron Rodgers really that good?

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
After watching Matt Flynn put up 480 yards is this another Matt Cassell moment where the system is the star and not the QB?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Yes he is that good. Tom Brady is as well despite Matt Cassell doing well in their system. Charlie Batch led Steelers offense damn near put up 30 which is about the same as Ben in his last 3 starts. Does that mean anything?

papillon
01-03-2012, 09:35 PM
I think it means that if you study the play book, watch a good veteran quarterback run the offense and pay attention when your time comes and you have above average skills you can be successful in the NFL as a quarterback.

And, it gives you a look into what great years Ben and Cam Newton had as rookies without really getting a chance to learn.

Aaron Rogers made Matt Flynn a lot of money, just like Brady did for Cassel. In Batch's case, Ben probably prolonged his career and thus making him some money.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 11:26 PM
We aren't talking points we are talking 480 yards and 6 TD's. If Rodgers put up those stats, hell, if any QB put up those stats we would be talking about how great the QB is...

A backup QB does it and it proves he studied the playbook? I think it's a clear indication of GB having a damn good team and a damn good system on offense.

When back ups come in and put up insane numbers and the offense doesn't miss a beat it makes me wonder if the QB is getting too much credit for his teams success.

Stafford had 500 yards so maybe both D's agreed to take the day off.

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 11:31 PM
what the...? Wrong thread

Eich
01-04-2012, 09:32 AM
We aren't talking points we are talking 480 yards and 6 TD's. If Rodgers put up those stats, hell, if any QB put up those stats we would be talking about how great the QB is...

A backup QB does it and it proves he studied the playbook? I think it's a clear indication of GB having a damn good team and a damn good system on offense.

When back ups come in and put up insane numbers and the offense doesn't miss a beat it makes me wonder if the QB is getting too much credit for his teams success.

I see your point and it's hard not to wonder why someone like Flynn could do so well off the bench. BUT I think what makes Rogers special is not that he can put up games and stats like that, but that he can do it CONSISTENTLY. Same with Brady and Manning and in many ways, Ben. Although Ben doesn't consistenly put up gaudy stats, he does consistenly win and consistenly avoids pressure, making something out of nothing.

QBs all over the league can have a great day every now and then. There were games where Kelly Holcomb in Cleveland looked all-world. What separates the good QBs from the GREAT ones is doing it consistently.

I think there's something real to being "in the zone". I think most people who have ever played any sport have felt what it's like to be "in the zone" from time to time. Some days, everything just feels right and you can do what you want. The greatest athletes can get into their zone at will.

steelz09
01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Yes, he's that good.

I personally think he has the quickest release in all of football. His accuracy is outstanding. Even if I guy is covered, Rodgers threads the needle as good or better than anyone in the game at the moment.

phillyesq
01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Billy Volek put up something like 3 consecutive 400 yard games to close out a season a few years ago.

Mediocre QBs can have a few great games. If Flynn leaves GB (or even starts there full time), he because Kevin Kolb just as easily as Matt Schaub.

Rodgers makes some truly amazing throws, and as much as I hate to admit it, so does Brady.

ramblinjim
01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes, he's that good.

I personally think he has the quickest release in all of football. His accuracy is outstanding. Even if I guy is covered, Rodgers threads the needle as good or better than anyone in the game at the moment.

Agreed, Rodgers is a fantastic quarterback.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
I've often wondered the same thing when watching Rodgers play. The thing is that he hits a lot of wide open receivers. Of course there is still a lot of skill required - choosing the right receiver etc., but it just is not the same as needing to thread the needle, putting the ball in just that perfect spot where only your receiver can get it while he is covered on all sides. It is still a great way to put up numbers but does not require the same level of skill.

I've always said the same thing about Rivers. While everyone always marveled at the fantasy numbers, he would rack up a ton of stats by swinging the ball out 1 yard to LT and letting him scamper 40 yards on his own for a TD. Defenses played him differently because they had to gameplan for LT. He was the beneficiary of the greatest dual purpose RB and TE of the era.

That being said, Rodgers is still a top QB for sure. I also have to give extra credit to Brady Rodgers and Ben for being the three elite level QBs who often have to do their thing in inclement weather. It might not be good for putting up stats, but each of these guys plays 8 games guaranteed in a bad weather city, plus some road games guaranteed (Ben-3, Brady-2, Rodgers-1). Of course not all of those games will be cold, rainy, snowy, windy, or icy, but there will usually be 2-4 games in bad weather. Not quite the same as Manning, Brees, and Rivers face.

rockonsteel
01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Yes, he's that good.

Well, let's not forget, A-Rodge used to hold onto the ball just as long as Ben does, and used to get sacked at nearly as high a rate. McCarthy and Philbin proceeded to rework his delivery and got him to start making the quick read, rather than hold the ball for the big shot downfield every play. They also redesigned their offense to inclue more cuick strike patterns and reads. But, they didn't discourage him from extending the pocket when necessary, just not to live and die by it. All of this helped transform A-Rodge into the QB machine we're seeing now, who can beat you with short, quick throws or beat you by extending plays.

None of this, it appears to have been done with Ben. Arians instead lets Ben runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, and continues to call 15 yd. fly patterns on 3rd and 3. The fact that GB did what they did with their backup QB, shows just how truly incompetent Arians really is. Like I said in another thread, if Jermicheal Finley, Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski played for the Steelers, nobody would know who they are, because they'd be blocking FBs in Arians retarded a$$ offense. I really don't see what it is people see in this idiot.

I mean 22nd in scoring with the talent on this offense is absolutely pathetic. I mean.....C'MON MANNN!!!

Rockon

papillon
01-04-2012, 12:04 PM

When he does it over a 17 game schedule we'll talk about how great he is, until then, he's a good student of the game, he's watching the best current NFL quarterback go about his business and he's in a quarterback friendly environment (great receivers, good enough o-line and given only what he can handle).

When he's a free agent next year and he's on his own and actually orchestrating an offense in pressurized situations, he's the team leader on offense and his team doesn't already have the #1 seed wrapped up we'll see how great he is.

He was playing pressure free football, nothing on the line, just go out and let it go with little or no consequences for poor decisions other than meaningless interceptions or in-completions and stalled drives.

Rogers is pretty darn good right now.

Pappy

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 12:25 PM

When he does it over a 17 game schedule we'll talk about how great he is, until then, he's a good student of the game, he's watching the best current NFL quarterback go about his business and he's in a quarterback friendly environment (great receivers, good enough o-line and given only what he can handle).

When he's a free agent next year and he's on his own and actually orchestrating an offense in pressurized situations, he's the team leader on offense and his team doesn't already have the #1 seed wrapped up we'll see how great he is.

He was playing pressure free football, nothing on the line, just go out and let it go with little or no consequences for poor decisions other than meaningless interceptions or in-completions and stalled drives.

Pappy

If you put Rodgers on another team is he this fantastic? If you put Brady on another team is he a superstar? I know teams cater to their QB but I think that's why people were questioning Flynn's awesome game. It wasn't like Flynn was throwing darts... he was just putting it up and letting the WR go get it.

Is it the QB or the system? You see what happened in Indy... I think some teams have an offensive scheme that makes it easier for QB's to succeed.

phillyesq
01-04-2012, 12:51 PM
If you put Rodgers on another team is he this fantastic? If you put Brady on another team is he a superstar? I know teams cater to their QB but I think that's why people were questioning Flynn's awesome game. It wasn't like Flynn was throwing darts... he was just putting it up and letting the WR go get it.

Is it the QB or the system? You see what happened in Indy... I think some teams have an offensive scheme that makes it easier for QB's to succeed.

I like Ben and I'm glad that he is the Steelers QB, but I would bet that Rodgers would be a star with the Steelers, and that the offense would put up more points. Not knocking Ben, but I think that Rodgers is the better QB.

I think that Brady would struggle a bit with the Steelers because he doesn't do well with pressure. He might make up for that with more quick decisions and quick passes.

So, I think it is a bit of a mix between QB and system.

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM

I like Ben and I'm glad that he is the Steelers QB, but I would bet that Rodgers would be a star with the Steelers, and that the offense would put up more points. Not knocking Ben, but I think that Rodgers is the better QB.

I think that Brady would struggle a bit with the Steelers because he doesn't do well with pressure. He might make up for that with more quick decisions and quick passes.

So, I think it is a bit of a mix between QB and system.

Ben showed us his Rodgers impression in the NE game. Ben is just as good as Rodgers but he refuses to release the ball quickly and chooses to fight guys off and take unnecessary hits.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Yes, he's that good.

Well, let's not forget, A-Rodge used to hold onto the ball just as long as Ben does, and used to get sacked at nearly as high a rate. McCarthy and Philbin proceeded to rework his delivery and got him to start making the quick read, rather than hold the ball for the big shot downfield every play. They also redesigned their offense to inclue more cuick strike patterns and reads. But, they didn't discourage him from extending the pocket when necessary, just not to live and die by it. All of this helped transform A-Rodge into the QB machine we're seeing now, who can beat you with short, quick throws or beat you by extending plays.

None of this, it appears to have been done with Ben. Arians instead lets Ben runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, and continues to call 15 yd. fly patterns on 3rd and 3. The fact that GB did what they did with their backup QB, shows just how truly incompetent Arians really is. Like I said in another thread, if Jermicheal Finley, Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski played for the Steelers, nobody would know who they are, because they'd be blocking FBs in Arians retarded a$$ offense. I really don't see what it is people see in this idiot.

I mean 22nd in scoring with the talent on this offense is absolutely pathetic. I mean.....C'MON MANNN!!!

Rockon

Man, you hit the nail on the head with this one......I have said it quite a few times on here, we have more weapons than the Saints or the Patriots and are right there with Green Bay....so why do we struggle so hard?

I said this in another post yesterday.....our secondary was terrible for many years under Ray Horton....but we won Superbowls and had a D ranked in the top 5 so he remained. Look at our secondary this year with him gone!

Leads me to believe its time for Arians to hit the bricks and get someone from outside the organization that doesn't know Ben and isn't his 'buddy'.

papillon
01-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Pappy

That's an interesting question and I don't know that it can be answered. I will say this about Tom Brady, we look at him now and say it's the system and his familiarity with it that make him successful. But, like Ben, the offense wasn't built around him when he took over for Drew Bledsoe and he has been successful pretty much from the time he became a starter. As a quarterback proves he's a quality quarterback offenses are then designed to make them more dangerous, so, I would have to lean on the side of Brady was going to be a great quarterback in this league regardless of the team.

Any offensive coordinator would have seen his strengths and built an offense for him just like New England did. Brady is a d@mn good quarterback, whiny, but d@mn good. If it were the system, almost all quarterbacks would have some kind of success and that simply isn't the case. Other quarterbacks simply aren't as gifted as he is.

Pappy