PDA

View Full Version : Troy to spy Tebow all game?

pittpete
01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Would you if you were D.LeBeau?

pick6
01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Would you if you were D.LeBeau?

Good question. I would say no, because I don't think Tebow is enough of a threat to dictate the actions of someone as valuable as Troy. Tebow is the perfectly terrible QB that Troy will punish in the secondary. With that said he will have to be contained. I like what teams have been doing lately which is telling everybody to play disciplined football, watch your gaps and do your job, hit him low and wrap up. Its when defenders try to be heros and/or disrespect his strength that he gets loose. Take him seriously and he is his true self.

sd steel
01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
No, Tebow is a power runner, not a scat Vick type guy. Tebow will have trouble running away from our linemen and backers. Our OLB's should be hitting Tebow in the mouth everytime they run the option, whether he has the ball or not. Troy will be used to stop the pitch back and to screw with Tebow's head on passing downs.

steelz09
01-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes, not a bad idea at all. The only thing I don't like about that idea is that I think Troy could get a pick or two in this game if he's able to roam.

I would also really consider Timmons as a spy. I'm a critic of Timmons (i think everyone here knows that) but this is a big game for him. He's a sideline to signline type ILB and it's imperative that our run defense is playing it's best. In this game, I think Timmons will either be exposed as "weak" in run defense or he'll have a great game. It's not about tacklle #'s either. To me, I don't care if TImmons gets 12 tackles when the rusher averages 3- 4 yards yards each attempt. I want to see stops that are LESS than 3 yards. That requires vision, fighting off a block, anticipation and filling the hole.

pick6
01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, not a bad idea at all. The only thing I don't like about that idea is that I think Troy could get a pick or two in this game if he's able to roam.

I would also really consider Timmons as a spy. I'm a critic of Timmons (i think everyone here knows that) but this is a big game for him. He's a sideline to signline type ILB and it's imperative that our run defense is playing it's best. In this game, I think Timmons will either be exposed as "weak" in run defense or he'll have a great game. It's not about tacklle #'s either. To me, I don't care if TImmons gets 12 tackles when the rusher averages 3- 4 yards yards each attempt. I want to see stops that are LESS than 3 yards. That requires vision, fighting off a block, anticipation and filling the hole.

well said

flippy
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Clark being out concerns me. He's making so many tackles for us this year. Our front 7 is suspect against the run.

That said, I'm not sure DL will put everything on Mundy being the last line of defense.

Given that Tebow can't throw, maybe we should put in an extra LB to replace Clark this week and then free up Timmons to follow Tebow.

papillon
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I doubt they spy Tebow with Troy (or Timmons). Tebow hasn't done enough to dictate having the NFL's defensive MVP spy him. He can get outside the pocket and make plays, but I don't think he can make enough of them to dictate the game. Good solid gap control defense by the defensive line and maintain the edge by the OLBs and the defense will force him to throw the ball and that's what they want.

Pappy

pittpete
01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
given that Tebow can't throw, maybe we should put in an extra LB to replace Clark this week and then free up Timmons to follow Tebow.

I was thinking this also, maybe a 4-4-3 look :idea:

focosteeler
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Clark being out concerns me. He's making so many tackles for us this year. Our front 7 is suspect against the run.

That said, I'm not sure DL will put everything on Mundy being the last line of defense.

Given that Tebow can't throw, maybe we should put in an extra LB to replace Clark this week and then free up Timmons to follow Tebow.

Who would you put in? Worilds or Sly

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
I would not otherwise take my best defender away in order to spy Tebow. I would rather use Timmons if we are going to spy, but I want Tebow to have no idea where Troy is and to have to look around for him prior to each play.

Starlifter
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I think tebow has been figured out. stay disciplined, don't let him get outside you. that's how the jets lost. keep him contained and then watch him spin, turn back to the middle and either take the sack or throw a horrible pick.

no need to have a shadow. just good technique and discipline. lebeau will have his guys ready.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 08:36 PM
We don't need to create some new defensive wrinkle to adapt to Tim Freaking Tebow. Tim Tebow has to learn how to adapt to our defense. And it won't be easy for a guy who can't seem to be able to advance the ball on a consistent basis against the most vanilla of defensive schemes. Mr. Tebow, meet Mr. Deebo. Should be fun for a guy who seems so interested in meeting his maker.

Chavezz
01-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Our MO for below average teams/QB's is to play a base defense and play safe. The thought I believe is that our talent will eventually over come and the other team will make a mistake and we can capitalize.

Chavezz
01-03-2012, 09:00 PM
It's also why poor QB's tend to have a little bit of success against us. We just sit back and wait for the mistake. It usually happens, it just may take some time.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
It's also why poor QB's tend to have a little bit of success against us. We just sit back and wait for the mistake. It usually happens, it just may take some time.

LeBeau's like an evil drug dealer with young QB's. Gives 'em the first few for free. They are enjoying themselves, getting a false sense of self-confidence, and then WHAMMO!!!! He's got 'em hooked. Sorry, kid...you lose.

Captain Lemming
01-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Troy a a spy is foolish. The kid will make mistakes. Do you want those bouncing off the hands of our other secondary guys, or Troy back there creating a pick 6?

hawaiiansteel
01-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Troy Polamalu is Going to be All Over Tim Tebow Sunday

January 3rd, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/641/170/104029124_display_image.jpg?1295207346

When the Steelers head out west to play the Denver Broncos Safety Troy Polamalu is going to be all over Tim Tebow. This is the kind of game that Troy lives for. He loves to sneak up to the line of scrimmage and jump the snap count. This is just the type of game to do that in.

It should not even be a guessing game for Polamalu either. Since Tebow took over the reigns for Denver in week 7 the ratio of run to pass is not even close. The Broncos have run the ball 428 times in that span. That is 68% of the time. Seven out of every 10 plays the ball is on the ground. It also coincides with them winning. In Denver’s 7 wins since Tebow took over the Broncos have run the ball 66% of the time. In their losses where Tebow has to throw more they run the ball only 56% of the time. That extra 10 passes per 100 plays makes a huge difference to how well the Broncos play.

What will make it even easier for Troy is that of that 428 rushing attempts Tebow keeps the ball 26% of the time. If the Broncos run the read option Tebow runs the balls more often than he hands it off to Willis McGahee. If the ball gets to the Red Zone Polamalu should never leave Tebow’s hip pocket. Once near the goal line all the kid is thinking is score. He wants to run it in. He has 6 rushing touchdowns on the year.

Troy will also be messing with Tebow’s mind on Sunday. He will be moving all over the field and making Tebow locate him on every play. It will change Tebow’s reads and he will have to make a decision on where to go with the ball. That could completely change by the time the ball is snapped. Polamalu could be on the complete opposite side of the field by then. Look for Polamalu to create problems for Tebow all over the field.

Another thing that will also help out Polamalu is that the Broncos have no threats at wide receiver. Demarius Thomas can be locked up by Ike Taylor. The other defensive backs can play man coverage as well. There is no big receiving threat at tight end. That could let the Steelers put 7 or 8 guys in the box plus Polamalu roaming around trying to find a hole to rip through. I look for Troy to spy Tebow all game long and make it one of the hardest days in Tebow’s pro career.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/ ... k+and+Gold (http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/01/03/troy-polamalu-is-going-to-be-all-over-tim-tebow-sunday/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+(Bleed+Blac k+and+Gold))

pittpete
01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Wouldnt have been a bad idea now, would it?

LouSteel
01-09-2012, 02:49 PM

I think in hindsight I'd rather have Troy playing deep every play :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM

What? The game winning throw happened because both safeties were up at the line spying on Tebow to prevent the run...no safety coverage over the top, Thomas breaks inside of Ike in one-on-one coverage, and he's off the races. We would have been better off if our safeties played back instead of worrying about Tebow running the ball, since it was the big pass that burned us (10 total completions averaging 31.6 yards per catch).

NWNewell
01-09-2012, 03:00 PM

What? The game winning throw happened because both safeties were up at the line spying on Tebow to prevent the run...no safety coverage over the top, Thomas breaks inside of Ike in one-on-one coverage, and he's off the races. We would have been better off if our safeties played back instead of worrying about Tebow running the ball, since it was the big pass that burned us (10 total completions averaging 31.6 yards per catch).

Agreed.

Our undoing was over commenting to stopping the run option.

I would have rather forced them to sustain log drives than give up the big plays.

Gee, that sound's familiar. I think there was a defense that had a lot of success with that game plan once upon a time.

papillon
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Kind of eerie how it went full circle with some fans. They hate getting nickle and dimed to death and forcing the opponent to make 10-12 plays to get points, then when the opponent is completing 50 yard bombs all game they'd rather force the opponent to move methodically down the field. Ironic in a sinister kind of way. :P

Pappy

brothervad
01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Something I have been thinking about but hesitant to bring up because it seems sacrilige. A part of me has been thinking lately that as Troy gets older he may need to change his game a little.

Not a lot mind you but a little.

I noticed some of the game film being spotlighted by ESPN...and it seems that while Troy has great instincts he doesn't have the recovery time he used to have when he guesses wrong.

I don't think it's a huge change mind you, but I think that the system may need tweaking a little and he may need to gamble a little less as he gets older.

Again, I am not sure of this...just appears that this year he has been close at times but just a 1/2 step slower than in the past (hell maybe even 1/4 step).

brothervad