PDA

View Full Version : A 2012 mock draft?

SS Laser
01-03-2012, 01:06 AM
What do you guys think of this draft? I know it is early but I know a few of you would be SO HAPPY with this draft. I would just put the steelers picks here but you have got to see the whole thing IMO. Also we can step away from the playoff threads for a min. :Blah

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006 ... der/page/2 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006082-2012-nfl-mock-draft-full-7-round-projections-with-updated-order#/articles/1006082-2012-nfl-mock-draft-full-7-round-projections-with-updated-order/page/2)

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Using that mock as a guide, here is who I would have taken, based upon what was available where we were picking in each round.

1. ILB Luke Kuechly, B.C. (tackling machine; should go in the top 20)
2. NT Alameda Ta'Amu, Washington (in case we need to cut Hampton & Hoke for cap reasons, Ta'Amu and McLendon would be a solid pair at NT moving forward)
3. FS Robert Lester, Alabama (Ryan Clark insurance; We play in Denver again next year)
4. OG Lucas Nix, Pitt (local kid fills in where we need the most help)
5. OT Matt Reynolds, BYU (could possess the positional flexibility to play either inside or outside, which our coaches love)
6. QB Case Keenum, Houston (a system QB, sure, but could be a heck of a back-up option)
In the 7th, I probably would take the best available RB because we don't know how well Rashard Mendenhall and Baron Batch will return from injury.

SS Laser
01-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Not a bad draft there Ruthless. It fills all the steelers "needs". I also hope we pull the trigger on a QB if he is BPA. Time for Dixon to move on I think.

I also wonder if there will be someone in range for the them to jump up and get? Or pull a fast one on us all and do a crazy pick? They seem to roll the dice sometimes.

steelblood
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Using that mock as a guide, here is who I would have taken, based upon what was available where we were picking in each round.

1. ILB Luke Kuechly, B.C. (tackling machine; should go in the top 20)
2. NT Alameda Ta'Amu, Washington (in case we need to cut Hampton & Hoke for cap reasons, Ta'Amu and McLendon would be a solid pair at NT moving forward)
3. FS Robert Lester, Alabama (Ryan Clark insurance; We play in Denver again next year)
4. OG Lucas Nix, Pitt (local kid fills in where we need the most help)
5. OT Matt Reynolds, BYU (could possess the positional flexibility to play either inside or outside, which our coaches love)
6. QB Case Keenum, Houston (a system QB, sure, but could be a heck of a back-up option)
In the 7th, I probably would take the best available RB because we don't know how well Rashard Mendenhall and Baron Batch will return from injury.

Nice job Ruthless. That would be 3 or 4 guys who could start immediately if needed.

It is really tough to do a mock right now though. I'll wait until at least January 15th (the deadline to declare). Looks like it will be a very good draft class with good depth at several positions.

Dee Dub
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
If the Steelers are going NT at pick one I would prefer Brandon Thompson of Clemson. Poe is very big for the position and having seen a few of his games this year I noticed he struggled getting leverage. At 6 ft 5 for NT sometimes that is hard to do.

See my sig and you will see a great Steelers draft. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I really felt Te'o had Steeler written all over him given where they were drafting and ILB being a need. Maybe that is why he is returning. If the Steelers don't go early ILB this year....He will be on my radar next. If he has a healthy season with 120+ again...That would solidify his stock.

Here's my wish list as of right now.

DeCatsro would be my A #1 choice. Highly unlikely we will even get a sniff. Better prospect than Mike Pouncey in my opinion. A trade up is the only way and by the end of the process he will be inside the Top 15.

Burfict could go down through the process. That all depends on what we hear out of the Steelers. I'm just not sure if the onfield character will be a concern for the decision makers. He has talent of a Top 20 player but he may end up slipping into the 2nd round if he doesn't interview well. Right now...I'll let my heart pick here. I'm old school-nasty-punch you in the mouth-choke you on the bottom of the pile-knock you into the nickel seats-and tell you its coming LB. I'm looking for Lambert-LLoyd-Harrison to walk down the alley with me. I luv Burfict's growl. I think we need that identity down the middle. So since DeCastro is off the board...He would be my #2 choice. May not be the Steelers though.

Come Monday night...Dont'a Hightower could have some FO Steelers eyes watching his play. I know mine will be on him. I have been saying it all season and I will continue to say it...The Steelers need to address the middle of the defense...Quickly. If the Steelers are soured on Burfict...I hope Hightower is on their radar.

Dontari Poe could be the next guy up. I want to see him in an all start game and how he works out against his class. He has been working extremely hard in the weight room these past two years so I'm starting to believe the dedication factor is really on his mind. Maybe our Ngata? Wouldn't that be nice.

In Summary:
1a Decastro
1b Burfict
1c Hightower
1d Poe

Sad part is...That's the wish list. Everyone of them could be gone after the process unfolds. I hope one is still there. There will be some who WOW the scouts in workouts, bowl games, or all star games and catapult themselves up the board. So list 2. The list that has "fallers" and "climbers" after the dust clears. The guys who have the film but put up the questionable measurables then fall to the teams who run deep into the playoffs. Then like I stated, the guys who make that final push and showcase in game or during workouts to make you go back and watch the game tapes and see if they did it on the field. My two "fallers" and "climbers" who could end being on the board when the end of the 1st approaches.

OG-Cordy Glenn
SS-Mark Barron
CB-Chase Minnifield
OG-Brandon Washington

steelz09
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
If the Steelers are going NT at pick one I would prefer Brandon Thompson of Clemson. Poe is very big for the position and having seen a few of his games this year I noticed he struggled getting leverage. At 6 ft 5 for NT sometimes that is hard to do.

After watching last nights game, I don't know if I want ANYONE from that Clemson defense. That Clemson defensive performance was an absolute disgrace.

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Guys.. please don't post any more mock drafts until I finalize my new mock-draft praise catch phrase for the year.

focosteeler
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM

if we could get what you want I would be extremely happy

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Guys.. please don't post any more mock drafts until I finalize my new mock-draft praise catch phrase for the year.

That is an excellent pre-mock-draft praise catch phrase plea. :P

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
How about....

"I used to do excellent mock drafts....but then I took an arrow to my knee."

focosteeler
01-05-2012, 05:05 PM
How about....

I used to laugh at arrow in the knee jokes...but then I took an arrow to the knee

RuthlessBurgher
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
How about....

I used to laugh at arrow in the knee jokes...but then I took an arrow to the knee

Plaxico wishes he only took an arrow to the knee.

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
How about....

Arrrows are afraid to take James Harrsion's knee.

StarSpangledSteeler
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Based on his mock, I draft...

(1) Zebrie Sanders OT

(2) Markelle Martin FS

(3) Kawann Short NT

(4) Donnie Fletcher CB

(5) Jerry Franklin ILB

(6) George Bryan TE

(7) Derek Dennis OG

- The NFL is now a passing league. To win the Super Bowl you better be able to pass. And stop the pass. Martin and Fletcher would help tremendously with that. As well as Short who could apply pressure and bat down passes. Franklin is stout enough to fight through blocks and stuff the run, at least as good (if not better than) Foote or Farrior.

- Sanders is the best LT in our range. But he could also start at LG. Bryan is arguably the best blocking TE in the draft. He would upgrade D.J. as a FB/HB/TE, and he has also got reliable hands for short passes. Dennis is just a big strong RG. Competes with Foster.

fordfixer
01-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Guys.. please don't post any more mock drafts.
Fixed that for you :lol: :lol:

Steel Life
01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
In what will be a sure sign that I watch too much football, here's my wish-list...

1. Dontari Poe, NT Memphis - Too much raw physical talent to pass up at a position of need.
2. Amini Silatolu, OG Midwestern St. - Dominant small-school prospect that might not make it this far.
3. Brandon Taylor, FS LSU - Just the kind of FS we want...good cover skills & a good tackler.
4. Shea McClellin, OLB Boise St. - He's got the size & the motor to back up the OLBs...love this kid.
5. Miles Burris, LB San Diego St. - I know...he's a OLB now, but so was Farrior & the kid can play.
6. Derrick Dennis, OG Temple - An athletic OL project with a lot of upside...& position flexibility.
7. Kheeston Randall, DE Texas - We need DL back-ups & he projects well as a Steelers 3-4 DE.

UDFA:
Terrance Ganaway, RB Baylor - A runaway train of a RB.
James Carmon, OT Miss. St. - Another athletic OL project (to jettison Jamon Meredith).
Ryan Davis, OLB Bethune-Cookman - Size/speed prospect with a good motor.
Delano Johnson, OLB Bowie St. - Ditto...
Chandler Harnish, QB N. Illinois - MAC QB with a schoolyard game & a good arm...sound familiar?
Gino Gradowski, OG Delaware - Another good lower division OL prospect.
Nate Eachus, RB Colgate - Brian Leonard-style RB...hard runner, good receiver.
Kris Burd, WR Virginia - A player in the Hines Ward mold with some speed...goes over the middle, blocks everyone.

winwithd
01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I dont know all the names out there but by prior I think the positions in each round should look something like this:
1- OL
2- NT
3- ILB
4- S
5- WR
6- TE
7- RB
If a standout at 2,3, or 4 was there at 1 and the BPA I take'm.