PDA

View Full Version : "Its only one game"

rpmpit
01-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I HATE it when I hear players and coaches say this after a loss. No, its not "only one game". It could be the difference between the #1 seed, a bye & homefield throughout the playoffs...and having to play the wild card and be on the road for every playoff game.

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
:Agree

All games count

Captain Lemming
01-03-2012, 01:17 AM
I HATE it when I hear players and coaches say this after a loss. No, its not "only one game". It could be the difference between the #1 seed, a bye & homefield throughout the playoffs...and having to play the wild card and be on the road for every playoff game.

I agree. I want players who admit THE SEASON IS OVER after a loss. I want them to say, "since we are the 5th seed we really dont stand a chance". Perhaps, that loss was sooooo devistating.....I dont know how we will ever recover. I want them to wallow in despair and doubt after every loss. I want them to say, "do you really think we can win with this offense?"

People, that is how FANS react.

Look at the threads here after a loss, the whining, the moaning, the doom and gloom. Heck we just won ugly and people are throwing in the (terrible) towel.

Do you REALLY want players to react like fans after every loss?

When players say "it is just one game" they are sually responding to someone who acts like they are done. It is not an indication that they take losing lightly. What can they do? They lost.....time to move forward. The PACKERS lost the chance at HISTORY, with a loss and acted like it was just one game. Do you REALLY THINK THEY DONT CARE THAT THEY LOST a chance at history?

Sure they care more than any "cheesehead" out there. It is their legacy at stake. But they lost.....time to move on......say "undeafeted would be nice but it is just one game" and talk about winning the SB is the ultimate goal.

When there is no tommorow it is a different story, see Romo yesterday?....Until then, you just have to look to the next game.

rpmpit
01-03-2012, 08:41 AM

I agree. I want players who admit THE SEASON IS OVER after a loss. I want them to say, "since we are the 5th seed we really dont stand a chance". Perhaps, that loss was sooooo devistating.....I dont know how we will ever recover. I want them to wallow in despair and doubt after every loss. I want them to say, "do you really think we can win with this offense?"

People, that is how FANS react.

Look at the threads here after a loss, the whining, the moaning, the doom and gloom. Heck we just won ugly and people are throwing in the (terrible) towel.

Do you REALLY want players to react like fans after every loss?

When players say "it is just one game" they are sually responding to someone who acts like they are done. It is not an indication that they take losing lightly. What can they do? They lost.....time to move forward. The PACKERS lost the chance at HISTORY, with a loss and acted like it was just one game. Do you REALLY THINK THEY DONT CARE THAT THEY LOST a chance at history?

Sure they care more than any "cheesehead" out there. It is their legacy at stake. But they lost.....time to move on......say "undeafeted would be nice but it is just one game" and talk about winning the SB is the ultimate goal.

When there is no tommorow it is a different story, see Romo yesterday?....Until then, you just have to look to the next game.

Well, I never said I want players to think the season is over after a loss. I just want them to play every game like it matters. And you can't tell me that you haven't seen players (and coaches) on our team have games where it just doesn't seem like they are giving it their all.

Anyone who expects that their team will show up completely for every game every week is living in a fairy tale world. I won't argue that. Just tired of games that we clearly should win (or at least be competitive) and we seemingly give away.

I'm not the type of fan to cry and complain after a loss. But I do know the type. These guys play 16 games in a regular season. I would just like to see a decent effort in each and every one of those games. Is that really too much to ask?

And to your point about the Packers and the cheeseheads, I'd have to say that cheeseheads DO care more. Most players on teams (ours included) are not fans of the teams they play for. So I'd argue that after a tough loss, most players drive home in their Mercedes and Lamborghinis to their multi-million dollar homes and aren't as devastated as most of us are. Do they care?? Of course they do. As much as we do?? I often wonder.

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
it is only one game... unless it's the last game of the season you can't hold onto the loss too long or it will effect next weeks performance.

rpmpit
01-03-2012, 10:12 AM
it is only one game... unless it's the last game of the season you can't hold onto the loss too long or it will effect next weeks performance.

Agreed on not holding onto a loss too long, dizz. If you read my reply to Capt, maybe my original intent with the post will be a little clearer.

JAR
01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Like Tomlin says... the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Just tired of games that we clearly should win (or at least be competitive) and we seemingly give away.

We didn't have any of those types of games this year, though. Every loss we had was to a division winner, and three of those four games were on the road. The 3 teams that beat us this season had a combined win-loss record of 35-13. Which of the games we lost this year were games that we clearly should have won (or at least been competitive) but seemingly gave away? It's not like it's 2009 with a 5 game losing streak involving teams like Cleveland, Oakland, and Kansas City.

rpmpit
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Just tired of games that we clearly should win (or at least be competitive) and we seemingly give away.

We didn't have any of those types of games this year, though. Every loss we had was to a division winner, and three of those four games were on the road. The 3 teams that beat us this season had a combined win-loss record of 35-13. Which of the games we lost this year were games that we clearly should have won (or at least been competitive) but seemingly gave away? It's not like it's 2009 with a 5 game losing streak involving teams like Cleveland, Oakland, and Kansas City.

The first Baltimore game and the Houston game we played like garbage. Playing Ben against the 49ers was a mistake. We would have had a better chance of winning with Charlie. The second Baltimore game we played well and should have won. Pissed it away at the end.

Just because the losses were to division winners, does that excuse us from playing poorly?? Is it ok to lose to a team just because they have a good record??

All I was trying to say with my original post was that we win one of these games and we are off this week with much needed rest and hosting a game next week. In baseball, I believe you can say "it's only one game". But in a season with only 16 games, you can't.

ikestops85
01-03-2012, 02:52 PM

The first Baltimore game and the Houston game we played like garbage. Playing Ben against the 49ers was a mistake. We would have had a better chance of winning with Charlie. The second Baltimore game we played well and should have won. Pissed it away at the end.

Just because the losses were to division winners, does that excuse us from playing poorly?? Is it ok to lose to a team just because they have a good record??

All I was trying to say with my original post was that we win one of these games and we are off this week with much needed rest and hosting a game next week. In baseball, I believe you can say "it's only one game". But in a season with only 16 games, you can't.

I get what you are saying. I just think it's hard to bring that same intensity game after game. The ratbirds are a great example. They've gotten sky high for games against us, SF and the Texans but then lay an egg against Jax, Seattle and Tennessee.

I don't think there is near the difference in talent on teams that people think. The biggest difference between teams is who gets and maintains that intensity throughout the season. Sometimes we forget that the players on the other teams are professionals also.

The Steelers are unique in that while we don't crush supposed inferior opponents we do enough to win. It does not do my blood pressure good that more time than not it seems the opponent is throwing into our endzone trying for the win at the end of the game. Our team will go as far as Ben can take it this year. The defense will play solid but you'll need a hot QB to hang with some of these offensive juggernauts.

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 04:39 PM

You can't re-win a game that is over so I'm not sure why you presented your argument this way.

Who made excuses for the losses? It would have been great to win the SF game with Batch but if we lost with him you would probably say we should have went with Ben.

We were blown out in the first game of the year and every other loss was close (until the last fumble in SF).

We went 12-4 and we are a #5 seed. That doesn't happen too often and I think it's unrealistic to say we should be 14-2 or 13-3 given the injuries this year.

rpmpit
01-03-2012, 06:28 PM

You can't re-win a game that is over so I'm not sure why you presented your argument this way.

Who made excuses for the losses? It would have been great to win the SF game with Batch but if we lost with him you would probably say we should have went with Ben.

We were blown out in the first game of the year and every other loss was close (until the last fumble in SF).

We went 12-4 and we are a #5 seed. That doesn't happen too often and I think it's unrealistic to say we should be 14-2 or 13-3 given the injuries this year.

dizz, I'm done defending what I didn't say :lol: My point (and I apologize if I presented in a way that was incredibly difficult to understand) was that in a 16 game season, one game could be critical. Ask the Jets, Cowboys, etc.

Especially after the slow start, I'm tickled that we ended up 12-4 and in the playoffs. Do I wish we won one more game?? Can any of us say we don't?? That's it. The end. HERE WE GO!!!! :tt2

Mister Pittsburgh
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I hate when we have the same issue year after year after year - like sucking in the redone - and not ever fixing it. Our secondary was pathetic for years. Look what it took to fix it - a coaching change. Ray Horton has rings and hey, the defense was top 5 in the league with him here. He even got a promotion! Look at the pass D this year with a coaching change. Time for Arians to get out of town cause we are beyond just one game, even just one season, with his dreadful scoring offense.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
I apologize if I presented in a way that was incredibly difficult to understand

That's okay, man. After all, "IT'S ONLY ONE POST!!!" :lol:

Captain Lemming
01-03-2012, 11:36 PM

dizz, I'm done defending what I didn't say :lol: My point (and I apologize if I presented in a way that was incredibly difficult to understand) was that in a 16 game season, one game could be critical. Ask the Jets, Cowboys, etc.

Especially after the slow start, I'm tickled that we ended up 12-4 and in the playoffs. Do I wish we won one more game?? Can any of us say we don't?? That's it. The end. HERE WE GO!!!! :tt2

I too get what you are saying. My series of examples are just the other extreme. My point is the players arent saying they dont care, they just cannot get too down AFTER a loss. Saying it is just one game is their way of putting things in perspective. They cannot afford to dwell on the negative except when it comes to how to improve.

BEFORE the game it is important.
During the game that game is everything
If you lose you have to shake it off, and dbe determined to get better.

To make my point do you EVER see a players say BEFORE the game, "if we lose it's just one game". You will NEVER see that.

Sometime guys will say THIS IS A MUST WIN, and AFTER losing the game focus on the future, downplaying the game that was lost. The same game that was a must win a few hours earlier.

A reporter asks a player after getting CRUSHED in week two, "your team looks old and slow. I know you have been great in the past but do you think this team is done?" STUPID QUESTION.

These are the settings where a player says, "it's a long sseason and this is one game, there is plenty of football let and one game in september is not the SB.

fordfixer
01-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Wow Armpit you might of been better off saying someting bad about Bens mom or somthing :D

rpmpit
01-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Wow Armpit you might of been better off saying someting bad about Bens mom or somthing :D

:Agree :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rpmpit
01-04-2012, 02:00 AM
I apologize if I presented in a way that was incredibly difficult to understand

That's okay, man. After all, "IT'S ONLY ONE POST!!!" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rpmpit
01-04-2012, 02:05 AM

I too get what you are saying. My series of examples are just the other extreme. My point is the players arent saying they dont care, they just cannot get too down AFTER a loss. Saying it is just one game is their way of putting things in perspective. They cannot afford to dwell on the negative except when it comes to how to improve.

BEFORE the game it is important.
During the game that game is everything
If you lose you have to shake it off, and dbe determined to get better.

To make my point do you EVER see a players say BEFORE the game, "if we lose it's just one game". You will NEVER see that.

Sometime guys will say THIS IS A MUST WIN, and AFTER losing the game focus on the future, downplaying the game that was lost. The same game that was a must win a few hours earlier.

A reporter asks a player after getting CRUSHED in week two, "your team looks old and slow. I know you have been great in the past but do you think this team is done?" STUPID QUESTION.

These are the settings where a player says, "it's a long sseason and this is one game, there is plenty of football let and one game in september is not the SB.

All good points, Capt. Just wish we would have won one more game this year.

rpmpit
01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
I hate when we have the same issue year after year after year - like sucking in the redone - and not ever fixing it. Our secondary was pathetic for years. Look what it took to fix it - a coaching change. Ray Horton has rings and hey, the defense was top 5 in the league with him here. He even got a promotion! Look at the pass D this year with a coaching change. Time for Arians to get out of town cause we are beyond just one game, even just one season, with his dreadful scoring offense.

Absolutely! With the weapons we have on offense, we should be lighting it up every week.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-04-2012, 03:49 AM
I can see a down game on offense here or there, but when struggling to score or have fluidity in your offense with the skill players we have, then you have an issue.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-04-2012, 11:19 AM
The one thing that I cold not care less about is what a coach or GM says about a game - whether it be one that was just played or one that is up ahead.

Everything that is said is done so for a purpose, not to give insight to the inner feelings of the coach. If a coach says it is only one game the purpose is to allow the team to put it behind them and concentrate on next week. If a coach says that his team stunk it is because he wants to light a fire under them to play better next week. If a coach says.........anything....it is to get his players to play better next week.