PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't Coaches Get Broader Experience?

flippy
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
With all the new openings in the NFL, I was thinking if I was a GM/Owner, I'd want to hire a coach that has experience on O, D, and ST.

But coaches get pigeonholed into being an offensive guy or a defensive guy.

Makes me wonder, why not get some experience on both sides of the ball and ST to prepare to be a head coach?

Every coach has a specialty. But there are no generalists out there.

You get a guy that knows D. Or a guy that knows QBs. Or a guy that knows offense.

Why can't the get guys to learn it all to prepare to be a good HC?

And how does being a coordinator really prepare a guy to lead a team?

Seems like there could be a better system for building the next generation of coaches.

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2012, 08:39 PM
The Eagles tried to turn their OL coach into their defensive coordinator this year.

They were Super Bowl favorites coming into the year, but missed the playoffs altogether.

May not be the best idea.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-02-2012, 09:02 PM
I've wondered why Kemo couldn't get flopped to NT. Has the demeanor.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I think that it should almost work the other way around when it comes to hiring coaches. It seems that everyone says things like "this guy had the top ranked offense, I want to bring him in and bring that here".

I want a HC who is able to recognize and foster relationships with his players and coaches. I want a guy who understands how to deal with people, both players and coaches.

Head coaches do not run position schemes. They don't stay on one side of the ball. They actually move away from what they do best in order to run the show. During TC how often does Tomlin just hang with the DBs and help them work on their technique? Probably rarely to never. But that is what he knows best positionally.

Remember when Billick became the HC in Baltimore? He was the offensive guru who was able to win a SB trophy with one of the greatest defenses of all time and an offense that IIRC went something like three straight games during the season without scoring an offensive TD.

The HC has to be savvy enough to allow his coordinators to do what they do best while managing the entire game and entire team as a whole. Being good at coaching one side of the ball does not lead to HC success.

flippy
01-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Yeah it's like any other job. Just cause someone's good at something doesn't mean they'll make a good manager. Actually, the people that are really good at what they do make the worst managers.

Captain Lemming
01-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I've wondered why Kemo couldn't get flopped to NT. Has the demeanor.

You know the idea of a Kemoeatu at NT has been done already. :)

Redskin fan want the NT version of Kemoeatu benched too:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/12/9/1865 ... s-pictures (http://www.hogshaven.com/2010/12/9/1865831/collection-of-nose-tackle-maake-kemoeatus-suckiness-pictures)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah it's like any other job. Just cause someone's good at something doesn't mean they'll make a good manager. Actually, the people that are really good at what they do make the worst managers.

And you lose a good coordinator in the process.