PDA

View Full Version : Offensive game plan for Sunday...

Shoe
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm reading many folks (on here, and elsewhere) who think the blueprint to win this game is to run, run, run the ball, minimize risk (turnovers, which seem to be the only way we lose this game), and eventually (the hope is) that the Denver D wears down... and defensively we contain Tebow & their putrid offense... and we win.

IMO, that's a recipe for potential disaster. What that plan does is essentially negate our GREATEST advantage in this game--that is our Quarterback. Now granted... he's limited by his ankle. But still... I want Ben handling the ball, and the predominance of our offensive plays.

The notion that we win this game by pounding the rock, and setting up pass opportunities is a flawed one... one that I've seen that has made us lose to inferior playoff opponents on more than one occasion.

Come out firing, stay balanced, and trust Ben to do what needs to be done.

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm reading many folks (on here, and elsewhere) who think the blueprint to win this game is to run, run, run the ball, minimize risk (turnovers, which seem to be the only way we lose this game), and eventually (the hope is) that the Denver D wears down... and defensively we contain Tebow & their putrid offense... and we win.

IMO, that's a recipe for potential disaster. What that plan does is essentially negate our GREATEST advantage in this game--that is our Quarterback. Now granted... he's limited by his ankle. But still... I want Ben handling the ball, and the predominance of our offensive plays.

The notion that we win this game by pounding the rock, and setting up pass opportunities is a flawed one... one that I've seen that has made us lose to inferior playoff opponents on more than one occasion.

:Agree

pick6
01-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Agreed. Sitting back and letting an inferior team stay close ON PURPOSE, out of fear of turnovers or for whatever reason, is asking for trouble and trying to set up Tebow time. Think we should play our normal offense, while attacking any weaknesses in their defense
(injured players) and accounting for their defensive strengths (guys like Dumervil).

I really think this game will come down to our defense stopping the run and forcing 3 and outs, this I think will tire their defense and strengthen our offense. But we must form tackle this Tebow guy and let him know early that we came to hit.

p.s. Does anyone know the status of Cortez Allen

pittpete
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Sitting back and letting an inferior team stay close ON PURPOSE, out of fear of turnovers or for whatever reason, is asking for trouble and trying to set up Tebow time.

Establishing a running game doesnt necessarilly mean that we keep Denver close.
Why cant we run the ball with authority and score?
A recipe for disaster,only if we cant run the ball.
You dont think Ben dropping back on a bum ankle 40+ times couldnt be a recipe for disaster?
We arent talking about Cowher and Marty's turtleball of the past, but getting back to basics in order to open up some of the playaction.

Northern_Blitz
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I think as long as Ben doesn't have one of his 3+ turnover games we win. We are the better team and I can't see us dropping this one if we finish with a positive turnover ratio.

NJ-STEELER
01-02-2012, 07:49 PM
coming out firing also plays into the strneght of dumervil and miller

they better have those 2 guys blocked if they want to do damage in the passing game

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Sitting back and letting an inferior team stay close ON PURPOSE, out of fear of turnovers or for whatever reason, is asking for trouble and trying to set up Tebow time.

Establishing a running game doesnt necessarilly mean that we keep Denver close.
Why cant we run the ball with authority and score?
A recipe for disaster,only if we cant run the ball.
You dont think Ben dropping back on a bum ankle 40+ times couldnt be a recipe for disaster?
We arent talking about Cowher and Marty's turtleball of the past, but getting back to basics in order to open up some of the playaction.

That has been Denvers game as soon as Yebow took over

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
I agree, pounding the rock plays into Denver's gameplan. Not sure if they are great at stopping the run but I know they struggle to put up points. I'm a big Redman fan but pounding the rock all day with him and Clay isn't the best idea.

I say spread them out and pass, pass, pass to set up the run.

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2012, 09:14 PM
If you play run game vs. run game, theirs is better than ours (particularly now that our best RB is on the shelf...despite what many on this board may think about Mendenhall, that is the truth). The biggest advantage that we have over them is Ben's arm vs. Tebow's arm. Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins were great once upon a time, but that time has passed when they have to cover the likes of Wallace and Brown.

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 10:02 PM
If you play run game vs. run game, theirs is better than ours (particularly now that our best RB is on the shelf...despite what many on this board may think about Mendenhall, that is the truth). The biggest advantage that we have over them is Ben's arm vs. Tebow's arm. Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins were great once upon a time, but that time has passed when they have to cover the likes of Wallace and Brown.
Brian Dawkins is dealing neck injury. He pinched a nerve in his neck in the third quarter of the Broncos Bears game three weeks ago. He has been listed as day to day

birtikidis
01-02-2012, 10:09 PM
This is poor logic. It's run o vs run d, not run o vs run o. they're not on the field at the same time. Denvers defense is not very good, contrary to popular belief. they give up points and you can run on them. of course, we can't run on anybody for some damn reason.

flippy
01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
If we rely on running and the score stays close, Tebow will run all over us.

Make Tebow play from behind and force him to pass the ball. Then it will be smooth sailing. We need to get up early on Denver and never look back.

Plus I'm terrified that Harrison will have to tackle Tebow when he's running the ball.

Starlifter
01-02-2012, 10:13 PM
this is not a game where you fear the opposing QB and run the ball to keep them off the field. This is a game where you KNOW the opposing team struggles to put up more than 20 points a game so you come out fast, stay on the accelerator, throw up 28 in the first half and then allow your defense to utterly crush tebow.

any game plan that keeps it close so we win in the 4th quarter is a recipe for disaster. We have nothing to fear from tebow being on the field. score fast, score often, keep scoring. who cares how many possessions denver gets????

feltdizz
01-02-2012, 11:38 PM
this is not a game where you fear the opposing QB and run the ball to keep them off the field. This is a game where you KNOW the opposing team struggles to put up more than 20 points a game so you come out fast, stay on the accelerator, throw up 28 in the first half and then allow your defense to utterly crush tebow.

any game plan that keeps it close so we win in the 4th quarter is a recipe for disaster. We have nothing to fear from tebow being on the field. score fast, score often, keep scoring. who cares how many possessions denver gets????
$$$$$$ :Bow

frankthetank1
01-03-2012, 12:18 AM

exactly who cares about keeping teebow and denver's offense off the field? in my opinion denvers offense against the steelers defense is a huge mismatch. all they have to do is put 8 guys in the box and stop the run. i will be shocked if teebow can throw more than 100 yards against the steelers. denvers defense is also not very good. the steelers should just play their game and get the ball to wr's and miller. if they protect the ball and stop the run this game is a blowout.

Jooser
01-03-2012, 07:30 AM
If we rely on running and the score stays close, Tebow will run all over us.

Make Tebow play from behind and force him to pass the ball. Then it will be smooth sailing. We need to get up early on Denver and never look back.

Plus I'm terrified that Harrison will have to tackle Tebow when he's running the ball.

THIS :!: I agree. Tebow isn't going to put up more than 13 pts in all probability. Score fast and early and make him play catch-up and he'll turn the ball over and make mistakes. BA called 40 pass plays in the wind and cold at Cleveland last week, no way we go RUN, RUN, RUN this week with Mendy out action. Denver has the ability to get after the QB, so quick hitters and some Heath action could be what the doctor ordered. We'll see Sunday.

Sword
01-03-2012, 10:12 AM
I agree with above...

come out throwing 70% of the time..play to win..
Get touchdowns...

Wallace needs to do more to get open and go after the ball...

Sword

papillon
01-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Score early, score often, Tim Tebow isn't making up a double digit deficit

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2012, 11:23 AM
THIS :!: I agree. Tebow isn't going to put up more than 13 pts in all probability. Score fast and early and make him play catch-up and he'll turn the ball over and make mistakes. BA called 40 pass plays in the wind and cold at Cleveland last week, no way we go RUN, RUN, RUN this week with Mendy out action. Denver has the ability to get after the QB, so quick hitters and some Heath action could be what the doctor ordered. We'll see Sunday.

This. We need to avoid the Denver pass rush. I worry about big hits on Ben. Hopefully, we can get up early and play some Cowher type football in the second half.

drprwnap
01-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Get up early and get up big. Make Tebow beat us with his arm--WON'T HAPPEN!

ikestops85
01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
We also need to play press coverage against Denver's wideouts. They aren't that good but I don't want us to give a QB like Tebow that cushion where he can make some completions. We can't let Denver even think they can win.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I would gameplan to put up points early and fast. Taking shots and possibly even no-huddle-2 minute. No scripted plays. Broncos will struggle to put points up and if you can get them to panic and force Tebow to try and beat you from the pocket...It should come crumble down around him.

The Broncos have a gameplan too...They will try and keep the ball away from our offense so it will be intersting to see the battle of attrition. They fit the mold of a team be able to take you out of your gameplan by holding on to the ball. They lead the league in rushing and attempts so the clock will be moving. If you panic after looking at the clock and seeing no points on the board...You could fall into the trap of getting your QB sacked if you can't protect him. If you could protect your QB...They are vulnerable through the air. The Steelers will have to make it known they are willing to grind between the tackles and get them to walk 8 in the box. If they force their hand on this...I expect a some big plays from Wallace & Brown. Single S won't take away both Wallace & Brown. I actually see Redman & Clay's production inside to be what ignites the passing game. If they have success inside and that S starts walking up...The passing game will come to life. If not, the Broncos will be hanging around all day.

I actually think the biggest game plan belongs to DickL. You would think it would be an easy one because of the lack of passing game but thinking that plays into Tebow's strength. If you think man-up because of that...You could get hurt. Turning your back on Tebow shallow will give up big plays when he scambles or moves from the pocket. The longer the play goes...Advantage WR & Tebow. The most important thing is not allowing Tebow to extend the play and escape the pocket. The DL will have a huge assigment in keeping Tebow in check by not letting him break the pocket and collapse on him if he steps up to run. Pressure needs to come hot and early outside while the DL stay home if he brings the ball down. Sitting back off the WRs with your eyes in the backfield off of zone blitz will force Tebow to make the right read with his WR. This is a game where a very heavy dose of zone blitz puts the game on Tebow's recognition & accuracy. Pressure will be more important than sacks. If he pulls the ball down because he sees the blitz...The DL is home to corral him. A spy for Tebow might be Timmons in a shallow zone. If Tebow tries to get the ball out quick in the face of pressure...Sitting back in the zone forces him to be a quick accurate passer and on the same page with his receivers. I feel this is where DickL, the master of the zone blitz, will force Tebow into mistakes if they can make him throw it from the pocket. Believe it or not...Inviting him to throw into the zone is something I would welcome. Put the game on the head and arm of Tebow. Troy's instincts has a TO or two written all over this game.

Fox is a cerebral coach and with a taste of old school Chuck Knoll. He plays to his strengths and isn't afaid of the flavor vanilla. I think that fact is very important to understand. To perfect what his team is capable of is more important than having "wrinkles" against the grain. Here it is...Now stop it. There is no secret as to who they are and what they want to do. So that is the focus and invite them to go away from that. Make it so appealing...Sit it on their face. I believe they do not have the ability to be productive no matter how far the Steelers swing the gate open. A great pocket QB will pick a zone blitz scheme apart. A great zone blitz scheme will make a option QB fall apart.