PDA

View Full Version : Official "Black Monday" Thread i.e. "Better than Arians" Day

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Two head coaches got pink slips so far today (not to mention that Jack Del Rio, Tony Sparano, and Todd Haley were let go during the season).

Bucs fire coach Raheem Morris
ESPN.com news services
Updated: January 2, 2012, 12:04 PM ET

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers fired coach Raheem Morris on Monday, the team announced.

Dropping their season finale 45-24 to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, the Bucs closed the year with 10 straight losses -- the franchise's worst in-season stretch since the 1977 team lost its first 12 games.

"We want to thank Coach Morris for all his hard work and dedication as head coach of the Buccaneers," Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer said in a statement.

As the NFL's second-youngest team, the Bucs (4-12) might have not handled last year's NFL lockout as well as an experienced club, but Tampa Bay still managed a 4-2 start that included an emotional 16-13 win over Atlanta. That Week 3 victory ended a five-game series losing streak that gave quarterback Josh Freeman his first win over the Falcons.

While Freeman completed a career-high 62.8 percent of his passes this year, he threw 22 interceptions just a year after throwing just six.

When Tampa Bay struggled badly in Morris' first season of 2009, the Bucs still had a reputation for playing hard despite their 1-12 start.

But they won 16 of their next 25 and seemed ready to challenge New Orleans and Atlanta for supremacy in the NFC South.

Everything began to unravel, however, after they beat the Saints 26-20 on Oct. 16. They lost their next 10 -- the franchise's worst stretch since the 2008-09 teams combined to drop 11 straight.

Sunday marked the seventh loss this season by 16 or more points.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7413905/tampa-bay-buccaneers-fire-coach-raheem-morris-10-game-losing-skid

Rams (2-14) fire Steve Spagnuolo, GM
ESPN.com news services
Updated: January 2, 2012, 12:04 PM ET

The St. Louis Rams fired coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney, the team announced on Monday.

The 52-year-old Spagnuolo was just 10-38 in three seasons in St. Louis after being hired in January 2009. Devaney, 56, was promoted to general manager in December 2008.

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen reported Sunday night that Spagnuolo and Devaney would be fired.

"I would like to personally thank Steve and Billy for their dedication to the St. Louis Rams organization over the past several seasons," Rams owner Stan Kroenke said in a statement. "This was a difficult decision for many reasons. We have tremendous respect for Steve and Billy as people and football professionals.

"No one individual is to blame for this disappointing season and we all must hold ourselves accountable. However, we believe it's in the best interest of the St. Louis Rams to make theses changes as we continue our quest to build a team that consistently competes for playoffs and championships. We wish Steve, Billy and their families the very best in the future and thank them again for their commitment to our organization and the city of St. Louis."

The Rams lost 34-27 to the rival 49ers on Sunday to finish the season 2-14, tied with the Indianapolis Colts for the worst record in the NFL.

The lowly mark was an even bigger embarrassment considering it followed a six-win improvement last season. Attendance at Sunday's regular-season finale was announced as 55,990, about 9,000 shy of capacity at the Edward Jones Dome, but the stadium appeared no better than half-full and drained quickly in the second half.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7413773/st-louis-rams-fire-coach-steve-spagnuolo-gm-billy-devaney-too

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the postings.

I'm hearing Grudens name and Jeff Fisher along with Cowhers name once again.

SteelBucks
01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the postings.

I'm hearing Grudens name and Jeff Fisher along with Cowhers name once again.

I can see Fisher going to Tampa.

fezziwig
01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah that would have to be it because I doubt Chucky would get asked back to Tampa.

I wonder if the Cheifs will ask Crenell to be their head coach ?

mshifko
01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Tomlin and Morris used to coach with eachother in Tampa, will be interesting to see if DL retires, of Morris will garner any attention on our part.

RuthlessBurgher
01-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Tomlin and Morris used to coach with eachother in Tampa, will be interesting to see if DL retires, of Morris will garner any attention on our part.

Nah...Keith Butler should be next in line to be our D.C. when LeBeau retires. Morris was an assistant DB coach in Tampa when Tomlin was DB coach. I'm more than satisfied with our current DB coach Carnell Lake.

Steelgal
01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Per Michael Lombardi on NFLN, Bill Polian Vice Chairman of the Colts and his son Chris Polian GM have been fired. Just reported as breaking news. Will find a link and post as soon as I find one.

http://www.nfl.com/

It's not posted as breaking news on the NFL website. Jim Irsay is having 5 PM press conference. No word on Jim Caldwell's future.

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Per Michael Lombardi on NFLN, Bill Polian Vice Chairman of the Colts and his son Chris Polian GM have been fired. Just reported as breaking news. Will find a link and post as soon as I find one

That one would be a real shocker because Polian gets lots of respect across the league. Personally, I think he has done a terrible job drafting defensive talent but his offensive picks have been OK.

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Nah...Keith Butler should be next in line to be our D.C. when LeBeau retires. Morris was an assistant DB coach in Tampa when Tomlin was DB coach. I'm more than satisfied with our current DB coach Carnell Lake.

:Agree Plus Morris is a 4-3 guy and we seem set to stay with the 3-4.

Steelgal
01-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Per Michael Lombardi on NFLN, Bill Polian Vice Chairman of the Colts and his son Chris Polian GM have been fired. Just reported as breaking news. Will find a link and post as soon as I find one

That one would be a real shocker because Polian gets lots of respect across the league. Personally, I think he has done a terrible job drafting defensive talent but his offensive picks have been OK.

Even some of his offensive picks have been bad, especially his oline picks. He hasn't drafted a good olineman in years.

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Per Michael Lombardi on NFLN, Bill Polian Vice Chairman of the Colts and his son Chris Polian GM have been fired. Just reported as breaking news. Will find a link and post as soon as I find one.

http://www.nfl.com/

It's not posted as breaking news on the NFL website. Jim Irsay is having 5 PM press conference. No word on Jim Caldwell's future.
Thanks for the update Gal keep us posted

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Even some of his offensive picks have been bad, especially his oline picks. He hasn't drafted a good olineman in years.

I actually think if you look across the league a lot of GMs can take that hit. The way the college game is now with all the spread offenses it doesn't prepare offensive linemen to be well rounded NFL linemen.

Steelgal
01-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Updated: January 2, 2012, 2:55 PM ET

Source: Polians out with Colts

ESPN.com news services

Colts vice chairman Bill Polian and general manager Chris Polian are out in Indianapolis, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

The Colts (2-14) finished with fewer than three wins for only the second time since moving to Indianapolis in 1984, and fans have been calling for the ouster of the Polians and coach Jim Caldwell.

2012 NFL draft order

The Colts will pick No. 1 overall in the 2012 draft. The 20 non-playoff teams know where they'll pick, aside from coin flips that will break ties for the Nos. 8 and 11 picks. Draft Order

Polian joined the Colts in 1998. During his time with the team the Colts went to the postseason 10 times and played in two Super Bowls, winning one by beating the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI.

Peyton Manning missed the entire season because of neck surgery. Without its franchise quarterback, Indianapolis' streak of eight straight postseason appearances ended with a thud.

Manning had neck surgery Sept. 8, the third and most invasive procedure he'd had in 19 months. Doctors fused two of Manning's vertebrae together, hoping that would fix a damaged nerve that caused weakness in Manning's throwing arm.

With Manning, many expected the Colts to be a Super Bowl contender again with the possibility that the championship game would be a home game as Indianapolis is hosting the game in February.

Without him, Indianapolis went through three different quarterbacks, lost its first 13 games and wound up with the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft -- the first time they've had that selection since 1998 when they chose Manning over Ryan Leaf.

fordfixer
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Mon Jan 02 12:10pm EST

Bucs fire Raheem Morris, entire coaching staff after late-season collapse

By Doug Farrar
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... fl-wp15096 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bucs-fire-Raheem-Morris-entire-coaching-staff-a;_ylt=AhYCVI86t2qFUXrDsYGvYINDubYF?urn=nfl-wp15096)

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have confirmed the firing of third-year head coach Raheem Morris, a move that was first reported on Monday morning by several sources. After a 4-2 start to the 2011 season, the Buccaneers completely collapsed down the stretch -- losing their last 10 games, giving up more than 30 points in seven of their last eight games, and looking absolutely non-competitive as the season ended.

According to Pewter Report, the Bucs have fired not just Morris, but every assistant coach and coordinator in their employ.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Glazer family for the opportunity they gave me to be the Head Coach of the Buccaneers," Morris said in a statement. "I was honored and blessed to have spent the majority of my coaching career with the same (class) organization. I grew up with the Bucs and I was fortunate enough to be part of a Super Bowl victory there. I wish the Glazers, the management, players, staff and most importantly, the fans nothing but the greatest success in the future."

Morris was a defensive quality control staffer for the team in 2002 (the year the Bucs won the Super Bowl), a defensive assistant in 2003, the assistant defensive backs coach in 2004 and 2005, and the defensive backs coach in 2007 and 2008 after spending 2006 as Kansas State's defensive coordinator. He was one of the rising names in the coaching tree, and he was hired as Jon Gruden's replacement in January of 2009.

Eventually, for whatever reason, things just fell apart.

The question of overall effort in the field perhaps the worst insult one can possible give a team was obvious in the team's season-ending debacle against the Atlanta Falcons; the Bucs were down 42-0 at one point, and several players looked to be giving less than their best.

It was a shocking reversal of fortune after Morris' second year in charge of the team in 2010 the Bucs went 10-6 and featured several young potential stars. But all of their main players quarterback Josh Freeman, running back LeGarrette Blount, and receiver Mike Williams regressed to a disturbing degree. And when Morris took over the defense only to see that side of the ball fall down more than ever, his fate was surely sealed.

"Last year, you could say we overachieved," Morris said after the 45-24 Falcons loss. "This year, you could say we underachieved. But I don't worry about what's going to happen. You've got to keep trucking. Don't worry about it. Don't blink."

According to veteran center Jeff Faine, the team's construction process Tampa Bay featured the NFL's youngest team for the second straight year had a hand in the unraveling.

"I think the lack of veteran leadership across the board could've hurt us," Faine said. "I admire the aggressiveness of the front office and wanting to build the right way. With that, I think there would've been some value in sprinkling in some veteran leadership and keeping around some guys who maybe don't fit in that philosophy of building organically."

Morris ended his Bucs career with a 17-31 record.