PDA

View Full Version : Santonio-Is this how you be "great"?

drprwnap
01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Last year after backup quarterback Mark Brunell received snaps with the New York Jets first team, starting quarterback Mark Sanchez said he wanted to fight head coach Rex Ryan. Now on Sunday after a 19-17 loss at the Miami Dolphins, wide receiver Santonio Holmes actually did start fighting with his teammates.

Twice — and to the point that Holmes was benched in the fourth quarter in what he called a "coach's call."

Holmes was the Jets' big-name coup during the offseason as they managed to re-sign a wide receiver nicknamed "Tone Time" after several big plays last season in the fourth quarter gave the Jets key midseason wins. Having signed a five-year, $45 million dollar deal in August, Holmes has failed to produce, finishing the season with his lowest receiving yardage of his career.

One source told The Newark Star Ledger that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer benched Holmes because Schottenheimer had simply had enough. "He quit," the player said. "It's happened for the past two to three weeks. It's happened all season."

Playing in what might have been the last game of his career, veteran running back LaDainian Tomlinson said that Holmes showed his teammates an "I quit" mentality throughout the game. This was confirmed by several sources, both named and unnamed.

"Well, I'll tell you what. It's tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner. You a captain, guys looking at you. You got to lead by example. You got to play your tail off until the last play," Tomlinson said. "And when that doesn't happen, you will have guys look at you in the way that captains shouldn't be looked at. You should always put yourself out there as a leader."

[ Related: Complete NFL playoff picture ]

It has been a pattern for a player of whom much was expected this year. In fact, Holmes has had a habit of doing more running with his mouth than with the ball this year, his second season with the Jets.

Despite being named a captain by head coach Rex Ryan prior to the season, Holmes still exhibited the same selfishness and reckless behavior that marked his tenure (and exodus) from Pittsburgh after the 2009 season. Holmes went through the media to call out the offensive line early in the season for poor play then reportedly threw offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer under the bus in a meeting with Ryan in October. Later in the season, he admitted that Sanchez was placating his receivers by forcing the ball to them.

But on Sunday in the huddle, Holmes picked two fights leading to him being replaced by wide receiver Patrick Turner, a player who was on the Jets practice squad earlier in the season. Schottenheimer made the decision to yank the Jets fifth highest paid player (and captain) from the game. At the podium following the game, Holmes said he "hopes for the best" with regards to whether the embattled offensive coordinator would return to the team next year.

"It wouldn't be my decision to make that choice whether he returns or not," Holmes said.
For his part, head coach Rex Ryan denied knowledge of the incident post-game, a coach known for his frequent misspeaks suddenly finding the mute button when his star player throws a tantrum.

"I never saw it," Ryan said of the incident. "Maybe I'll see it and talk to people about it. I'd rather not really comment about it until I know the particulars. I know he was on the bench when I asked where he was. That's as far as I know. I don't have any idea if it was injury related or what it was. So I guess you'd have to ask Santonio."

Oviedo
01-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Always said we would never miss Stupidio. Haven't missed him for one second and as a result we have one of the best groups of young WRs in the NFL.

Rex Ryan and the Jets deserve our trash and they can keep this bum and deal with him for years to come. Anyone want to lay odds that he gets popped in the off season for being a doper????

pittpete
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I know the guy has a crappy attitude but anyone would get fed up with that dink and dunk offense Sanchez is running there.
6.40 yds per attempt is 27th in the league :o

hawaiiansteel
01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
way to show leadership and be a great captain, Stonio...

http://l.yimg.com/lk/api/res/1.2/vjj2r3XlBH1.hMwPf41jlg--/YXBwaWQ9eW1lZGlhO2g9MzU0O3c9NjEw/http://mit.zenfs.com/209/2012/01/yahoo_holmes.jpg

eniparadoxgma
01-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Always be grateful for his play when he was a Steeler, but it was a good move to let him go. Glad our FO doesn't keep these type of players around.

pick6
01-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't be mad if we still had him. He is was a great player. He willed us to the Superbowl and then willed us to victory all the while calling his shot. I love it. Big time playmaker.

All this other garbage about guys talking too much and having attitude problems...yeah he's not going to win any congeniality awards but I don't care. The bum who wrote the article says that Tone has not produced, when they would have been nothing without him last year. This year was so bad for them that even his all world talent wasn't good enough to mask the ineptitude of Sanchez.

I don't look for moral examples and role models in football players. Im disgusted by the hero worship that plagues our society. "Ohh he's such a class act". Usually that's just what it is an act. Tired of the good guy, bad guy dichotomy of saints and sinners. In there daily lives, people really seem to need somebody else to put down, in order to feel good. Super lame but I guess it sells papers.

eniparadoxgma
01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree with the majority of what you're saying pick6. My problems with players occur when their behavior starts to negatively influence the team on the field. At least according to the articles I've seen, a lot of even his own teammates are saying he "quit" on the team and it's been noticeable for weeks. This is not how a good teammate, much less captain acts. I don't care if he smokes bonghits before each game, takes picture of his wang and splashes them all over the net (again), etc. I care that he got paid however many millions and then quit on his team to the point where they sat him down. Inexcusable IMO.

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't be mad if we still had him. He is was a great player. He willed us to the Superbowl and then willed us to victory all the while calling his shot. I love it. Big time playmaker.

All this other garbage about guys talking too much and having attitude problems...yeah he's not going to win any congeniality awards but I don't care. The bum who wrote the article says that Tone has not produced, when they would have been nothing without him last year. This year was so bad for them that even his all world talent wasn't good enough to mask the ineptitude of Sanchez.

I don't look for moral examples and role models in football players. Im disgusted by the hero worship that plagues our society. "Ohh he's such a class act". Usually that's just what it is an act. Tired of the good guy, bad guy dichotomy of saints and sinners. In there daily lives, people really seem to need somebody else to put down, in order to feel good. Super lame but I guess it sells papers.

:Agree

I'm not saying Holmes is in the right but Holmes pouting is the least of the Jets worries...

I don't need Holmes to flame out in order to feel good about dealing him... we made out great in the deal and the Jets made out great in the deal when you look at the success last year.

If anything I think Holmes gave the Jets a false sense of security with Dirty Sanchez.... Sanchez doesn't know how to be great. :wink:

pick6
01-03-2012, 01:52 PM

I don't look for moral examples and role models in football players. Im disgusted by the hero worship that plagues our society. "Ohh he's such a class act". Usually that's just what it is an act. Tired of the good guy, bad guy dichotomy of saints and sinners. In there daily lives, people really seem to need somebody else to put down, in order to feel good. Super lame but I guess it sells papers.[/qu

I'm not saying Holmes is in the right but Holmes pouting is the least of the Jets worries...

I don't need Holmes to flame out in order to feel good about dealing him... we made out great in the deal and the Jets made out great in the deal when you look at the success last year.

If anything I think Holmes gave the Jets a false sense of security with Dirty Sanchez.... Sanchez doesn't know how to be great. :wink:

Yeah, Sanchez seems like a hard worker and a good study but he doesn't seem to have that edge. I don't know if it is his height. I suspect that he is a guy who needs to have practice seem as gamelike as possible. I think his practices are too perfect. If I were his coach I would make sure that he practiced how to quickly set his feet and deliver a strike in a chaotic and menacing environment. He seems like a guy who looks great going against air in practice and this is fine for some QBs but not him. Somehow he needs to model his game after Drew Brees.

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Pete Carroll said Sanchez wasn't ready when he declared early... Sanchez had success early because he was on a run heavy team but if you watched his career closely, I lived in NYC his rookie year, he was an INT machine when they gave him a longer leash...

The reality is Sanchez just isn't that good.

phillyesq
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM

"All world talent," really? Holmes was terrible in the Eagles game. A pick that went right through his hands and an early fumble sunk the Jets in a must win game. There was another game earlier where he and Plax sat on the bench wearing baseball caps with the stupid flat brim look, staring at the ground and speaking to nobody during another collapse.

The Jets have a lot of problems, and Santonio certainly did more to create them than he did to solve them.

Thanks for 2009, and good riddance!

pick6
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM

"All world talent," really? Holmes was terrible in the Eagles game. A pick that went right through his hands and an early fumble sunk the Jets in a must win game. There was another game earlier where he and Plax sat on the bench wearing baseball caps with the stupid flat brim look, staring at the ground and speaking to nobody during another collapse.

The Jets have a lot of problems, and Santonio certainly did more to create them than he did to solve them.

All world talent absolutely. You pick a play or 2 out or a career to prove that he is not. You can do better than that. Let me help you. Maybe the play before his epic and historic Superbowl winning snag in the corner of the endzone, that went right threw his hands too.
He won game after game for them last year, literally. Look, football is a team sport like no other and when you witness a man take his team on his shoulders, in the playoffs to the Superbowl, like he did for us from the punt return against San Diego to the insane catch and run against the ravens, this guy is an awesome playmaker. I remember one year when we weren't going to the playoffs (blasphemy I know) and Cincinnati needed to beat us to get in, we get it to OT, I think, and Holmes catches a simple pass and takes it all the way for a walk off TD. Freaking ripped their throats out. Yeah he's awesome. It is difficult almost impossible to be known in the NFL as a guy who ends games, but that's who he is.

As for the hat. I don't really get into how guys wear their hats. Nothing wrong with paying attention and then even commenting I guess, its just that those type of sentiments along with his facial expressions and all of that are just not things that I tend to notice.

snarky
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
IMO, if he had stayed here he would have continued to produce despite causing some trouble here or there. But going to a team with Rex Ryan as HC has allowed him to completely unravel.

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 04:45 PM

studying facial expressions on the sideline during a loss is petty...

If they cracked a smile you would bash them for not caring. Have you studied the sidelines when we lose are last game of the season? It's no different.

feltdizz
01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
IMO, if he had stayed here he would have continued to produce despite causing some trouble here or there. But going to a team with Rex Ryan as HC has allowed him to completely unravel.

when your HC is predicting SB's and you know your QB is superbust it's easy to unravel.

People need to remember Sanchez stopped speaking to Rex Ryan after he had to split snaps with the starters on Nov 23rd. Like I said earlier.. this team has issues and it starts with the HC.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/11/22/brunell-gets-reps/

by Lisa Zimmerman

FLORHAM PARK–Rex Ryan shared today that he took a couple of snaps away from Mark Sanchez during practice this week and gave them to Mark Brunell. This is the same thing he did last year to try to light a fire under Sanchez. And it worked. Last year, Ryan said Sanchez was so mad, “He wanted to fight me.”

This year, Ryan said he hasn’t spoken to Sanchez all week, leading to questions whether the quarterback was, once again, upset with his coach.

According to Ryan (who was laughing when he said it), “[Sanchez] hasn’t talked to me, for real. He has not said one word.”

When asked if he’s upset with Ryan about giving Brunell the snaps and is not talking to him, Sanchez looked surprised and said, “It’s not on purpose.”

Sanchez acknowledged that he knows why Ryan gave the reps to Brunell, and said he’s not angry. However, his answers to the questions were rather clipped and he looked like he wanted to be answering anything but that. In fact, right in the middle of the questioning, a member of the PR staff shouted, “Darrelle Revis is at his locker” and Sanchez looked up and said, “Ooh, perfect.” Nobody moved.

There are a few things at work here. The first is that Ryan knows his tactic worked last year, so he likely figured, ‘Hey, let’s try that again.’ Ryan is extremely superstitious so if he does something that works once, he’s going to continue doing it. Like wearing his Titans sweatshirt, which he did today. That’s just the way it goes sometimes.

As for Brunell, he tried to keep a straight face when asked about the situation. “It was a big day,” he said. “I think I got four plays. Three of them were runs.”

He did add on a more serious note that there’s nothing wrong between Ryan and Sanchez, that they have a very close relationship. Even Ryan likened it to how he has to be tough with his kids some times.

I asked Nick Mangold if he noticed any change in Sanchez’s demeanor. He said he didn’t, adding, “Contrary to popular belief, I’ve got a lot of stuff going on out there.” Brandon Moore gave essentially the same answer.

Plaxico Burress didn’t practice again, but it wasn’t health-related. For many years Burress, as part of the work his foundation does, has gone back to his hometown in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and handed out turkeys to everyone in the neighborhood – some 400 people. For the past couple of years, while in prison, he has been unable to do that.

Burress spoke to Ryan about it several months ago and Ryan gave him permission to take the time off – before this week’s schedule was fully determined. Normally, Tuesday would have been a players’ day off anyway and Monday would have been a light day. But, due to the Thursday night game, Ryan ended up changing the schedule well after his agreement with Burress and he said he wanted to honor his word to him. Ryan, like many coaches, has a history of giving players — especially veterans — some leeway with the schedule for important personal commitments.

Burress actually returned Monday night from Virginia, but spent Tuesday morning taking care of another community commitment. He was at Central Park East Middle School in Harlem where he gave awards to the top 17 students and donated 20 computers to the school. Burress made it back to the Jets facility in time to attend meetings and get in some film study. Given that the team played Buffalo just a couple of weeks ago, no one is overly concerned at his missed time.

phillyesq
01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
From the article below, two things appear very clear:

1) Ryan has no control over his team; and

2) Holmes is neither a leader nor a good teammate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-disgruntled-wide-receiver-santonio-holmes-gang-green-fix-mess-article-1.1000174

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2012, 09:22 PM
From the article below, two things appear very clear:

1) Ryan has no control over his team; and

2) Holmes is neither a leader nor a good teammate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-disgruntled-wide-receiver-santonio-holmes-gang-green-fix-mess-article-1.1000174

I knew both of those things before the season started when Rex declared Santonio to be a captain without holding a player vote on the matter. I recall having a good laugh about it on the board here when it was announced earlier in the season.

Steelerphile
01-03-2012, 09:27 PM
That article says it all very well. I don't care how many plays Santonio would make for a team. His presence is an absolute detriment to a team, and I applaud the Steelers for recognizing that and getting rid of Holmes.

There is no way the Jets can be successful with Holmes. Any fan who thinks Holmes would still be doing well had he remained with the Steelers is way delusional.

pick6
01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
That article says it all very well. I don't care how many plays Santonio would make for a team. His presence is an absolute detriment to a team, and I applaud the Steelers for recognizing that and getting rid of Holmes.

There is no way the Jets can be successful with Holmes. Any fan who thinks Holmes would still be doing well had he remained with the Steelers is way delusional.

Hilarious, I guess Im "way" delusional. That Superbowl catch was just all in my head, never happened. That entire playoff run happened in my sleep and to think I've been watching it on youtube and thinking it's real. I need to be seen. And all of those game winners last year for the Jets and getting them to the playoffs, all lies, lies, lies!!! I'm completely mad I tell ya. Ill get that checked out.

I base my statement on things that have actually happened in reality and this guys is speculating about something that can't be proven and I'm the one whose delusional. Your thought process lacks reasoning.

Listen to this, so you don't care how many plays the guy makes, no matter what, he is an "absolute" detriment to a team. Now you've become hysterical. So when he helped us win the superbowl he was an "absolute" detriment to the team. 2 things, do you know what absolute means, and 2nd, winning the superbowl is not detrimental to a team, at least not in my delusional world.

I could have given you a pass if you would have simply stated that you don't want guys on the team who after promising to coaches, teammates, management, and ownership, that he would stop smoking marijuana only to have him break his word, probably more than once, and fail yet another drug test, breaking the bond of brotherhood within the team. Sorry for the run on sentence. I could agree with that and accept it. next time just relax and don't feel so threatened by view points that differ from yours it makes you get all upset and irrational. We should differ sometimes. And yeah I can be delusional at times.

Eich
01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Hilarious, I guess Im "way" delusional. That Superbowl catch was just all in my head, never happened. That entire playoff run happened in my sleep and to think I've been watching it on youtube and thinking it's real. I need to be seen. And all of those game winners last year for the Jets and getting them to the playoffs, all lies, lies, lies!!! I'm completely mad I tell ya. Ill get that checked out.

I don't agree with you at all. But we'll never know. I'll say this... That Super Bowl catch was the beginning of the end for Holmes. His head EXPLODED to epic porportions. Some guys handle success very well. But guys like Holmes get an ego that cannot be controlled. It's his downfall. "That's how YOU be great" is all he can focus on.... himself. He has all the talent in the world to be great but he has to be the sole focus of the team and has to get all of the praise or he melts down like we saw last weekend. If Holmes could find it in him to be a team player, the sky is the limit for him.

He reminds me of TO. All the talent in the world and how many teams kicked him to the curb? Some stupid team is always next to take a chance on a guy like that but I'm glad he's gone from the Steelers.

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM

You are nuts...

The only reason we released Holmes is because we knew we couldn't afford him so it made sense to deal him for a low pick.

aggiebones
01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Stonio is just showing the world that he has range.

Slapstick
01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
You are nuts...

The only reason we released Holmes is because we knew we couldn't afford him so it made sense to deal him for a low pick.

That makes no sense whatsoever...

The Steelers could have franchised him or allowed him to sign a big contract elsewhere so they could get a comp pick...

They dealt Santonio because they wanted to be rid of him...

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 12:52 PM

I don't agree with you at all. But we'll never know. I'll say this... That Super Bowl catch was the beginning of the end for Holmes. His head EXPLODED to epic porportions. Some guys handle success very well. But guys like Holmes get an ego that cannot be controlled. It's his downfall. "That's how YOU be great" is all he can focus on.... himself. He has all the talent in the world to be great but he has to be the sole focus of the team and has to get all of the praise or he melts down like we saw last weekend. If Holmes could find it in him to be a team player, the sky is the limit for him.

He reminds me of TO. All the talent in the world and how many teams kicked him to the curb? Some stupid team is always next to take a chance on a guy like that but I'm glad he's gone from the Steelers.

and I disagree with you...

Holmes didn't go to the Jets with an ego any bigger then it already was and most good WR's have an ego so I'm not surprised by it at all. He was humble and thankful his first year as a Jet and made 5 or 6 game changing catches.

Look at Hines... the guy let's his ego take over and he questions if Ben is all in after an injury. WR's tend to say and do stupid things....

I think they said it best on PTI yesterday with the question "Is Holmes being blamed for all the Jets woes?"

The rel problem is the HC and a QB who isn't that good....

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
You are nuts...

That makes no sense whatsoever...

The Steelers could have franchised him or allowed him to sign a big contract elsewhere so they could get a comp pick...

They dealt Santonio because they wanted to be rid of him...

I have no idea what the franchise tag was but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't want to pay it given the other contracts we had to work on...

I shouldn't have said the "only reason" because we had another "selfish, immature, problem child we had to deal with at the same time.

We were definitely in damage control mode when it all went down.

pick6
01-04-2012, 01:54 PM

Well, actually we do know. Again, everything that I have stated has been substantiated in the world of facts. He is a great player, he benefited the team tremendously, and I can't recall team members complaining about him. Conversely, much of your post is based on the speculative. Just irrational thoughts based on pedestrians misunderstandings of another way of behavior. You are really reaching. The guy was pumped up in the game, that's how he got himself ready for the final push to victory. He even said prior to that epic performance that he would win MVP. Many people who rise to the top of their given field have somewhat of an ego. Big deal. So many others get a pass but guys like Holmes need to keep their mouths shut and just win the game for us fans. While we the fans can talk as much junk as we want and never be called selfish. That's kind of perverse.
Just want you to know that the reason we will NEVER know, as you put it, is because your comments are based on fiction, a narrative that is a figment of your on imagination. He lost his mind after the famous TD catch and became a pariah. How convenient. It's amazing how even adults retain the ability to fabricate pieces of fiction and then wholeheartedly believe it. Santonio is the devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillyesq
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM

You are nuts...

Really? You're going to suggest that money is the ONLY reason that Holmes was traded?

Wake and Bake had nothing to do with it? Him telling a twitter follow to kill themselves had nothing to do with it? His arrest for pot had nothing to do with it? His four game suspension?

The Steelers weren't going to give big money to somebody like Holmes, nor should they.

Oviedo
01-04-2012, 02:57 PM

You are nuts...

Not sure I agree that "affodability" was the only issue. I think there may have been a strong sense by those who knew him best that it was only a matter of time before Stupidio gets popped again for dope and therefore misses a season.

I think it was a case that they were getting rid of fruit bought last week before it got too rotten that no one wanted it.

papillon
01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
When have the Steelers ever lost a player that they wanted because of money? Rarely, if ever, if that were the case wouldn't it have been better to let him hit free agency and another team sign him and the Steelers would get a comp pick. And, since, they had no way of knowing at the time that Antonio Brown would turn out to be a good to great receiver the Steelers probably would have received a 3rd round pick for him.

They decided to trade him ASAP for a 5th. Money wasn't the issue, had it been, they would have simply waited and took the comp pick. They wanted him out of town, IMO.

That being said, I was wishing he was on the team when the Steeler offense took the field for the last drive in the Super Bowl. The receivers couldn't get open, Holmes could have made a difference in the outcome.

Pappy

Slapstick
01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
That being said, I was wishing he was on the team when the Steeler offense took the field for the last drive in the Super Bowl. The receivers couldn't get open, Holmes could have made a difference in the outcome...

...if he didn't implode...

I think there is something to be said for a team's culture...Santonio never caused problems in the locker room or on the field for the Steelers...only multiple off-field issues...

The locker room crap never happened until he got on Rex's team...

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
For those who missed it... I posted that I shouldn't have said money was the "only" reason but we all know what else was going on when Holmes was in trouble...

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
That being said, I was wishing he was on the team when the Steeler offense took the field for the last drive in the Super Bowl. The receivers couldn't get open, Holmes could have made a difference in the outcome...

...if he didn't implode...

I think there is something to be said for a team's culture...Santonio never caused problems in the locker room or on the field for the Steelers...only multiple off-field issues...

The locker room crap never happened until he got on Rex's team...

well look at Hines questioning Ben, James calling out Ben and Mendenhall... the off field distractions by Ben, Hines, etc.

We have locker room crap but we also have 1 newspaper... if our team had ESPN, NYC new media etc best believe every little thing we have done would be blown way out of proportion just like this Holmes story.

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2012, 05:15 PM
We have locker room crap but we also have 1 newspaper... if our team had ESPN, NYC new media etc best believe every little thing we have done would be blown way out of proportion just like this Holmes story.

Well, two newspapers, but who's counting? In Pittsburgh, if Ben gets a hangnail, it is a lead story on the 6:00 TV news. Remember the coverage that the Milledgeville story brought in (or the Ben motorcycle accident for that matter).

Steelerphile
01-04-2012, 05:40 PM

I base my statement on things that have actually happened in reality and this guys is speculating about something that can't be proven and I'm the one whose delusional. Your thought process lacks reasoning.

Listen to this, so you don't care how many plays the guy makes, no matter what, he is an "absolute" detriment to a team. Now you've become hysterical. So when he helped us win the superbowl he was an "absolute" detriment to the team. 2 things, do you know what absolute means, and 2nd, winning the superbowl is not detrimental to a team, at least not in my delusional world.

I could have given you a pass if you would have simply stated that you don't want guys on the team who after promising to coaches, teammates, management, and ownership, that he would stop smoking marijuana only to have him break his word, probably more than once, and fail yet another drug test, breaking the bond of brotherhood within the team. Sorry for the run on sentence. I could agree with that and accept it. next time just relax and don't feel so threatened by view points that differ from yours it makes you get all upset and irrational. We should differ sometimes. And yeah I can be delusional at times.

I think you are getting overly emotional and feel threatened. I don't like guys like TO, Holmes or Moss too much. I think their selfish and immature antics and behavior are detrimental to team chemistry and that ultimately leads to bad results on the field.
So the more they stay around, I think the more detrimental their behavior to the team becomes.

Have you read all the negative things said about Holmes by his teammates? There are at least three or four to go record to say he "quit" on the team and that he acts like a child.
Do you think all this will be forgotten next season, when they try to reassemble the team and try to work together to build a winning team? I don't. I think there are a lot relationships between Holmes and other teammates that are now irreparable.

I give credit to Holmes for his great moments with the Steelers. I don't think he was as great overall as you apparently do. Because he seemed to have several lapses during the season, but he came through in the clutch.

I don't think his release was all about marijuana or what he wanted to get paid either. I think his attitude had a lot to do with that. I'm glad the FO is who they are and that you are fan, because I agree with them and am glad he got traded. Whereas you seem to wish he were still here. I think if he were, he would be disruptive to team chemistry.

Guys like Holmes are not necessary to win. He is talented but the Steelers have done well without him. The Jets will probably have to find a way to get rid of him before too long also.

fezziwig
01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I was excited when the Steelers drafted Holmes. He was the first receiver taken in that years draft from an advertised weak draft class for receivers. I always felt that, getting a receiver that we needed and getting the first one was like having the number one overall pick.

Santonio started out slow from what I remember with a glimps of good things sprinkled around. His Super Bowl win season I predicted he would have a breakout year and he did. It started shaky for him with his troubles but, he was a huge reason we made it to the Super Bowl and won the Super Bowl.

With his troubles, attitude starting to dive and the money he would have demanded plus, they young talent that we had/have I was not upset Santonio departed.
I knew if he went to New York they would cultivate any negative in him that he had. Santonio with Rex blowing smoke 24/7 I just knew Santonio would get to the circus level that the coach and some of the team players put out there.

Slapstick
01-04-2012, 08:35 PM
well look at Hines questioning Ben, James calling out Ben and Mendenhall... the off field distractions by Ben, Hines, etc.

Again, those are all things that happened off the field or in the off season...

Arguing like a petulant child with the rest of the offense in the huddle and then being benched is not "blown out of proportion". It's perfectly proportioned.

Again, whatever happens off the field is one thing. The Steelers are able to come together as a team, focusing on their opponent instead of infighting...

fezziwig
01-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Have we ever had anything like this go on with the Steelers ?

Ben had his off field issues and other guys have too but, have we ever had anyone have a meltdown during a game ?

I remember Bubby saying he doesn't mop up but nothing I recall making the news like this.

feltdizz
01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Not sure if we've ever had arguments in the huddle or on the field but we aren't the type of team that would give all the details to the media.